PDA

View Full Version : PFW: 2008 1st round picks boom or bust

The Answer
07-09-2008, 10:48 AM
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Commentary/Columns/2008/edholm070808.htm

11. CB Leodis McKelvin — Bills
Prediction: Bust
The thing that scares me with him is his confidence. I saw him struggle at times in Mobile, and you could tell he didn’t like being the focus of attention. I don’t see him ever becoming the lockdown corner that Nate Clements became in Buffalo, but I do think McKelvin will be an excellent returner. That said, only Devin Hester is a good-enough returner to justify this high a pick.

~The Answer

Mr. Pink
07-09-2008, 10:53 AM
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Commentary/Columns/2008/edholm070808.htm

11. CB Leodis McKelvin — Bills
Prediction: Bust
The thing that scares me with him is his confidence. I saw him struggle at times in Mobile, and you could tell he didn’t like being the focus of attention. I don’t see him ever becoming the lockdown corner that Nate Clements became in Buffalo, but I do think McKelvin will be an excellent returner. That said, only Devin Hester is a good-enough returner to justify this high a pick.

~The Answer

Except Hester wasn't taken in the first round. And the best returner in football wasn't even drafted.

The Answer
07-09-2008, 10:57 AM
Except Hester wasn't taken in the first round. And the best returner in football wasn't even drafted.

This guy has no clue what he is even talking about anyway - especially if you read some of his other 'predictions' for the 1st round.

He must have randomly picked these and what a surprise he's praising the pats and cowboys picks like a typical media homer.

LOL - Nate Clements and lockdown corner in the same sentence?

~The Answer

Pinkerton Security
07-09-2008, 10:59 AM
one man;s opinion.

Mr. Pink
07-09-2008, 10:59 AM
This guy has no clue what he is even talking about anyway - especially if you read some of his other 'predictions' for the 1st round.

He must have randomly picked these and what a surprise he's praising the pats and cowboys picks like a typical media homer.

~The Answer

That's what it seems like.

We got the best corner in the draft period and I'm sure his return skills were never part of why he was taken.

FlyingDutchman
07-09-2008, 11:43 AM
Darren Mcfadden will be a bust. I promise.

THATHURMANATOR
07-09-2008, 11:47 AM
Hester was drafted wasn't he?

FlyingDutchman
07-09-2008, 11:53 AM

think he was a 2nd rounder

Mr. Pink
07-09-2008, 11:56 AM

Joshua Cribbs fool!

yordad
07-09-2008, 12:07 PM
It cracks me up how he went from the top CB in the draft to a bust before playing a snap.

DraftBoy
07-09-2008, 12:07 PM
It cracks me up how he went from the top CB in the draft to a bust before playing a snap.

Well remeber he climbed up the board just about that fast too.

OpIv37
07-09-2008, 12:14 PM
How to write an article without doing any work:
1. Take out your post- draft review article.
2. Change the title from "Draft Report Card" to "First Round Boom or Bust"
3. Replace draft grades B or higher with "Boom"
4. Replace draft grades of C+ or lower with "Bust"
5. Submit "new" article.

Nothing about any of these picks has changed since the draft, so all this guy is doing is regurgitating pre-draft and post-draft write ups on these players. Lazy.

yordad
07-09-2008, 12:14 PM
Well remeber he climbed up the board just about that fast too.OK, and now he descends becasue he is confident? I don't follow.

DraftBoy
07-09-2008, 12:20 PM
OK, and now he descends becasue he is confident? I don't follow.

Im saying that since he rose so far so fast, there is very likely to be negative thoughts about him. Your 1st post indicated that because he was the top ranked CB it didn't make sense that he would be a Bust guy, but given his rise, he's a very likely candidate for such an award along with DRC.

yordad
07-09-2008, 12:52 PM
Im saying that since he rose so far so fast, there is very likely to be negative thoughts about him. Your 1st post indicated that because he was the top ranked CB it didn't make sense that he would be a Bust guy, but given his rise, he's a very likely candidate for such an award along with DRC.OK, I hear ya. But does it make sense that the people that had him ranked as the best CB in the draft are now predicting he will be a bust before an NFL snap?

Or do you think that by the very nature of the article, they have to predict someone, so they might as well predict someone who rasied fast? In that case, why isn't Mayo at the top of the bust list?

Also, why does DRC get "boom", considering he rose even faster?

DraftBoy
07-09-2008, 01:01 PM
OK, I hear ya. But does it make sense that the people that had him ranked as the best CB in the draft are now predicting he will be a bust before an NFL snap?

Or do you think that by the very nature of the article, they have to predict someone, so they might as well predict someone who rasied fast? In that case, why isn't Mayo at the top of the bust list?

Also, why does DRC get "boom", considering he rose even faster?

I cannot tell you why Player X is labeled a bust and Player Z is a boom, nor do I care to. Like Op said its just a regurgitated article.

yordad
07-09-2008, 01:04 PM
I cannot tell you why Player X is labeled a bust and Player Z is a boom, nor do I care to. Then why did you try?

Well remeber he climbed up the board just about that fast too.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Like Op said its just a regurgitated article.Well then I guess Op illustrated my point better then me.

DraftBoy
07-09-2008, 01:22 PM
Then why did you try?
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
Well then I guess Op illustrated my point better then me.

I didn't try I simply authored the point that because he stock ballooned so late in the season a bust tag could make sense.

DrGraves
07-09-2008, 01:24 PM
this guy is stupid. you can't predict this kind of thing, its impossible.

NBT
07-09-2008, 01:37 PM
I think McKelvin will be one of the better CBs after he learns the ropes. On the other hand, I think the CowCrooks, who traded back up in the first round to take Jenkins with #25 in the first, will be a bust.

The Spaz
07-09-2008, 01:39 PM
If that Pats would have taken McKelvin he would have been a sure pro Bowl player...

The Spaz
07-09-2008, 01:42 PM
If anything Cromartie was the rising up the draft boards so fast. He has the best potential to be the CB bust of this crop.

The Answer
07-09-2008, 01:50 PM
Look at what he said last year about Lynch.....interesting:

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Draft+Extras/2007/edholm050307.htm

12. Buffalo — RB Marshawn Lynch — Prediction: Bust
There’s enough talent to suggest he can have a good year or two, like Willis McGahee did, but I think Lynch’s problems will lie elsewhere. His character has been considered a little different by some NFL types, and he might not ever work out in Buffalo. And like McGahee, he could end up with another team after 3-4 years.

~The Answer

Oaf
07-09-2008, 03:34 PM
We got the best corner in the draft period and I'm sure his return skills were never part of why he was taken.

I sincerely hope that is 100% true..

Oaf
07-09-2008, 03:35 PM
Look at what he said last year about Lynch.....interesting:

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Draft+Extras/2007/edholm050307.htm

12. Buffalo — RB Marshawn Lynch — Prediction: Bust
There’s enough talent to suggest he can have a good year or two, like Willis McGahee did, but I think Lynch’s problems will lie elsewhere. His character has been considered a little different by some NFL types, and he might not ever work out in Buffalo. And like McGahee, he could end up with another team after 3-4 years.

~The Answer
That is interesting. We ALL loved McGahee after 2004.

Night Train
07-09-2008, 04:52 PM
I watched the Senior Bowl practices in full on ESPN. McKelvin was the best player on the field after DT Sedric Ellis of USC. Mike Mayock couldn't stop raving about how great he looked and the game film just confirmed it.

That guy who wrote that tripe can bite my chubby.

Confused
07-09-2008, 05:17 PM
PFW is generally trash. this follows suit

Oaf
07-09-2008, 06:12 PM
PFW is generally trash.

That and every writer in the nation. That is, unless they write something good about us.

Ingtar33
07-09-2008, 06:46 PM
Darren Mcfadden will be a bust. I promise.

yep

he's carnell williams

Mitchy moo
07-09-2008, 08:16 PM
Bust, as a reporter.

Ickybaluky
07-09-2008, 08:19 PM
Joshua Cribbs fool!

You can make the argument for Cribbs as the best kick returner, but given Hester's 7 punt returns for TD in 2 seasons (a ridiculous number Cribbs can't touch) there is no argument that he is the best overall return man in the game.

Captain gameboy
07-09-2008, 08:54 PM
As training camp arrives, it is time for the draft people to sleep until next Feb.

Not soon enough for me.

Confused
07-09-2008, 09:07 PM
You can make the argument for Cribbs as the best kick returner, but given Hester's 7 punt returns for TD in 2 seasons (a ridiculous number Cribbs can't touch) there is no argument that he is the best overall return man in the game.

i THINK CRIBBS DOES MORE, BEING WAAAYYYY SLOWER THAN HESTER, THAT MAKE S HIM A BETTER RETURNER.

Confused
07-09-2008, 09:08 PM
caps lock anyone? sorry