X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

How much will run defense improve?

"He can change a game," said Paul Posluszny of Stroud. "When we've got a guy like that who is able to control the line of scrimmage like he is able to especially inside, it's really going to help us out, especially the linebackers. It's going to be two different worlds having a guy like him up front controlling the line of scrimmage." http://buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=6208

Was POz talking about Stroud in the past or what he saw at OTA's? Hopefully it's the latter.
    Last edited by justasportsfan; 07-10-2008, 08:28 AM.
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/
  • yordad
    • Dec 2007

Re: How much will run defense improve?

Top 10 wouldn't surprise me.
    "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• justasportsfan
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by yordad
      If Stroud is 100% , I agree.
      sacrifice1

Comment

• Luisito23
        Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
        • Apr 2003

Stroud and MC probowl bound!!!.....Book it!!!!!!!
        "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
        ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
        ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
        ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• Patti120
          • Aug 2004

Please let Stroud stay healthy and return to pro bowl form!!! Please!!!

Comment

• Turf
            • Jul 2002

And if he gets injured our backup is?
            Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• DrGraves
              • Mar 2008

mccargo and spence johnson!

Comment

• Oaf
                Do you read what you write?
                • Jun 2007

Originally posted by yordad
                Really? That would surprise me. Although I did believe that last year our pass defense was a bigger liability than the run.

Comment

• Night Train
                  Retired - On Several Levels
                  • Jul 2005

Let's hope for baby steps before taking a giant leap. Steady improvement as new players get to know each other.

I'm encouraged.
                  Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• justasportsfan
                    • Jul 2002

Encouraging stat on Stroud
                    July 9, 2008 Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 4:41 PM ET | Link

ENCOURAGING STAT ON STROUD: Granted John Henderson has had just as much to do with Jacksonville's run defense ranking in recent years as Marcus Stroud, but what encourages me most about the potential leap Buffalo's run defense can take is the history of Jaguars run defense rankings with Stroud on the roster.

Since 2001 (Stroud's rookie season) the Jags have ranked 10th, 25th, 2nd, 11th, 14th, 4th and 11th against the run. Over those seven years the average ranking is 11th. Knowing the Bills are just getting Stroud, and not Stroud and Henderson I still believe Buffalo's run defense should be in the top half of the league.

The key is Stroud staying healthy. Can he do it?

---

A realistic run defense ranking
                    July 9, 2008 Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 4:31 PM ET | Link

A REALISTIC RUN DEFENSE RANKING: After ranking 25th and 28th the past two years against the run, and now adding Stroud, Johnson and Mitchell to the front seven, what is a reasonable run defense ranking to expect from the Bills assuming they don't incur a rash of injuries similar to that of last year?

Looking over the last seven seasons the greatest increase in ranking from one year to the next for Buffalo occurred in 2003 when Buffalo improved from 29th against the run to 8th in the league. That's a jump of 21 spots. It was also the offseason when they added Takeo Spikes (veteran LB) and Sam Adams (veteran DT) among others.

Adding Mitchell and Stroud looks to be a similar approach. I don't know if jumping 21 spots in the run defense rankings from 25th to 4th is realistic, but I definitely think they have a chance to fall between 12 and 15 provided Stroud stays healthy. Think it's possible?

Obviously, Strouds health is still a questionmark. I hope the run D's improvement isn't solely dependent on Stroud. Obviously Spencer is the bac up plan and Dick better make sure there's no drop off.

Spencer seems to be this year Tripplett. Triplett did an awsome job coming off the bench with the colts which is why we hired him only to find out, he's not starter material. Spencer did the same with the Vikes .
                    sacrifice1

Comment

• Dujek
                      Hall of Fame Zoner
                      • Jan 2008

I'm not sure how much it will improve, a lot of it depends on how healthy Stroud stays. On the other hand, I'm fairly certain it can't get any worse

Comment

• gr8slayer
                        • Feb 2005

Well there's only one way to go from where we are right now. We'll probably be a top 20 defense this year, but top ten isn't happening.

Comment

• OpIv37
                          Acid Douching Asswipe
                          • Sep 2002

It's tough to predict. The additions of Stroud and Johnson plus the return of Poz should help significantly. But we still have Schobel on the outside lining up 8 yards from the ball and Kelsay on the other side and if Stroud gets injured, it could get bad again.

Assuming everything goes well, I could see us breaking 20 on D, and MAYBE breaking into the top half of the league. There's no way this is a top 10 D yet.
                          MiKiDo Facebook
                          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• The Answer
                            The Plagiarist
                            • Mar 2007

I expect us to be in the 10 - 15 overall range, but if Stroud is close to 100% and plays motivated we could be in the 5 - 10 range even though we still don't have a DE that can play the run consistently.

~The Answer

Comment

• dasaybz
                              • Apr 2005

Poz, McCargo, Stroud, Mitchell, and Crow.

Wow, those are some nice stuffers right there.

Throw in Whitner ... and up the middle, this D looks real nice.

Comment

Working...
                              X