PDA

View Full Version : Why Trent should be better

justasportsfan
07-09-2008, 02:57 PM
"I’m going to taper our offense to his strengths and we’ll do some things," said Schonert. "We’ll keep working on some things. His weaknesses we’re going to dial them up in training camp and work on them and hopefully he improves enough where I feel comfortable enough calling it in a game and he feels comfortable enough throwing it a game. And I’ll talk to him and ask him what he feels good about and what he doesn’t feel good about."

By no means is this a revolutionary approach when handling your quarterback, but to a certain extent it is in Buffalo. At no point during the tenure of Steve Fairchild, Tom Clements, Kevin Gilbride, Mike Sheppard or Joe Pendry did I hear a response similar to that of Schonert when asked if they would change their offensive scheme to better suit their quarterback's strengths.

But the approach Schonert is taking with Edwards is one that was used by Charlie Weis with Tom Brady and by Bill Walsh with Joe Montana and by Sam Wyche with Boomer Esiason. They picked the brain of their quarterback during the week of preparation for the next opponent to see what they felt would work and wouldn't work on Sunday.

Schonert is a straight shooter and seems to be a guy that backs up what he says with actions. If that holds true in his new role as coordinator I think working with Edwards in this fashion could bring the young quarterback success early this season perhaps more than anything else. Do you think there's something that could impact his level of success more?

http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?blogger_id=1

The Answer
07-09-2008, 03:19 PM
"I知 going to taper our offense to his strengths and we値l do some things," said Schonert. "We値l keep working on some things. His weaknesses we池e going to dial them up in training camp and work on them and hopefully he improves enough where I feel comfortable enough calling it in a game and he feels comfortable enough throwing it a game. And I値l talk to him and ask him what he feels good about and what he doesn稚 feel good about."

By no means is this a revolutionary approach when handling your quarterback, but to a certain extent it is in Buffalo. At no point during the tenure of Steve Fairchild, Tom Clements, Kevin Gilbride, Mike Sheppard or Joe Pendry did I hear a response similar to that of Schonert when asked if they would change their offensive scheme to better suit their quarterback's strengths.

But the approach Schonert is taking with Edwards is one that was used by Charlie Weis with Tom Brady and by Bill Walsh with Joe Montana and by Sam Wyche with Boomer Esiason. They picked the brain of their quarterback during the week of preparation for the next opponent to see what they felt would work and wouldn't work on Sunday.

Schonert is a straight shooter and seems to be a guy that backs up what he says with actions. If that holds true in his new role as coordinator I think working with Edwards in this fashion could bring the young quarterback success early this season perhaps more than anything else. Do you think there's something that could impact his level of success more?

Just hearing Trent's named mentioned in the same sentence as Brady or Montana makes feel giddy like a schoolgirl. :drool:

~The Answer

acehole
07-09-2008, 03:24 PM
All things being considered...yes.

When you look at the amount of pionts we lost games
by one touchdown would have made the difference.

Will the absense of Fairchild produce that?

Will having a legit WR opposite L Evans do that?

Will having C Anderson in the Redzone or fine or shoe do that?

Will the improved personel on Deffense take away one from the opponent?

Will the weaker schedule do that?

Will Mclovin do that on special teams?

Will the guys back from injury do that?

Not by themselves perhaps but together ...yes we will improve on offense...

and as a team.

Trent or any qb will have around him what we have not had in buffalo in a long time.

Balance.

It is a good situation for Trent.

it is up to him now.

"I知 going to taper our offense to his strengths and we値l do some things," said Schonert. "We値l keep working on some things. His weaknesses we池e going to dial them up in training camp and work on them and hopefully he improves enough where I feel comfortable enough calling it in a game and he feels comfortable enough throwing it a game. And I値l talk to him and ask him what he feels good about and what he doesn稚 feel good about."

Yasgur's Farm
07-09-2008, 05:39 PM
It's about time we got a coach... any coach beside Bobby April... willing to customize his box of rules in order to take advantage of the talent on hand.

It's good to see Trent will have that opportunity. I know of 1 NFL QB in particular who may have given up a big payday because of "by the book" coaching.

shelby
07-09-2008, 07:14 PM
Good news!

Guys, lay off the personal attacks, thanks.

SABURZFAN
07-09-2008, 09:07 PM
i don't expect Edwards to be Brady or Montana-like. Schonert is no Walsh or Wyche either.

Typ0
07-09-2008, 11:55 PM

What are you trying to rehash now?

justasportsfan
07-10-2008, 08:30 AM
What are you trying to rehash now?
:huh:

mybills
07-10-2008, 08:45 AM
"We’ll keep working on some things. His weaknesses

:doh:

justasportsfan
07-10-2008, 08:47 AM
:doh:

I don't see what the problem is.

acehole
07-10-2008, 08:56 AM
Good news!

Guys, lay off the personal attacks, thanks.

shelby that was a light hearted joke even answer enjoyed.

mybills
07-10-2008, 09:09 AM
I don't see what the problem is.
It's not a problem..it was for those who think he's perfect..godly. lol
Just making sure they saw that the coach says he has weaknesses. :;

Bill Cody
07-10-2008, 10:08 AM
All things being considered...yes.

When you look at the amount of pionts we lost games
by one touchdown would have made the difference.

Will the absense of Fairchild produce that?

Will having a legit WR opposite L Evans do that?

Will having C Anderson in the Redzone or fine or shoe do that?

Will the improved personel on Deffense take away one from the opponent?

Will the weaker schedule do that?

Will Mclovin do that on special teams?

Will the guys back from injury do that?

Not by themselves perhaps but together ...yes we will improve on offense...

and as a team.

Trent or any qb will have around him what we have not had in buffalo in a long time.

Balance.

It is a good situation for Trent.

it is up to him now.

The main thing that's good is Losman is pulling splinters out of his butt instead of doing what he does on the field which is lose games.

justasportsfan
07-10-2008, 10:13 AM
The main thing that's good is Losman is pulling splinters out of his butt instead of doing what he does on the field which is lose games.
either talk about Trent or STFU ...please

The Answer
07-10-2008, 10:37 AM
shelby that was a light hearted joke even answer enjoyed.

True - I set myself up for it anyway.

~The Answer

dasaybz
07-10-2008, 11:52 AM

I don't know why it's so difficult for coordinators to just listen to their QBs and see what they are and aren't comfortable with.

Picking Edwards' brain is the best thing that Schonert can do. If Trent is very comfy with a certain play, why not use it?

I love everything I'm hearing out of Turk right now. Let's see how his game management skills are on game day though right?

The Answer
07-10-2008, 12:15 PM
I will say this about Fairchild/Losman - it's pretty pathetic that Fairchild didn't allow JP to audible, regardless if he trusted him or not.

You would think that JP would have been able to audible and play to his strength with the downfield passing game when the opportunities were there, especially with one on one coverage against Evans.

The real scary thing is that if Fairchild hadn't been hired by CO State he'd still likely be here running the offense.

~The Answer

Typ0
07-10-2008, 12:23 PM
Just watching him play I didn't really think JP had a handle on the defenses he was being faced with...and that being the case there is no way he could effectively audible. If he could start to demonstrate he had an idea how to read that defense then his ability to audible would have changed. If they told him to just go ahead and do what he wanted his career would already be over because he would have gotten injured running around and thrown a pile of interceptions in the process.

I will say this about Fairchild/Losman - it's pretty pathetic that Fairchild didn't allow JP to audible, regardless if he trusted him or not.

You would think that JP would have been able to audible and play to his strength with the downfield passing game when the opportunities were there, especially with one on one coverage against Evans.

The real scary thing is that if Fairchild hadn't been hired by CO State he'd still likely be here running the offense.

~The Answer

justasportsfan
07-10-2008, 01:03 PM
If they told him to just go ahead and do what he wanted his career would already be over because he would have gotten injured running around and thrown a pile of interceptions in the process.

SAm Wyche disagrees with your assumption.He happens to think JP is smart and so does Jaws.

Maybe he could've rushed for 1st downs and keep his INt's low if he was allowed to ala Flutie. Instead, playcalling was p[redictable and we had no play action regardless of who the qb was. This time around, Turk is talking anti-Fairchild but I guess we'll never know how JP will do unless Trent goes down with an injury.

acehole
07-12-2008, 07:25 AM

Why bring him into this thread?

Takes more then a qb to win or lose games get a clue.

acehole
07-12-2008, 07:35 AM
You assume to much.

Eveybody is now on board that Fairchild was a disaster,...for plenty of reasons.

When you take away audibles you take away a valuble tool for qb's to use...play action is essential...so are roll outs so is balance and creativity.

Fairchld lead offense had none of these...add no legit targets past Lee Evans and last on offense in the NLF becomes very evident....and we are not even talking JP we are talking all of this with Trent under center.

You people need to move on with the hate for JP and admit we had problems in many areas including Steve Fairchild.

Just watching him play I didn't really think JP had a handle on the defenses he was being faced with...and that being the case there is no way he could effectively audible. If he could start to demonstrate he had an idea how to read that defense then his ability to audible would have changed. If they told him to just go ahead and do what he wanted his career would already be over because he would have gotten injured running around and thrown a pile of interceptions in the process.