• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Answer
    The Plagiarist
    • Mar 2007

SI: Frankly Football - Studying the art of game management

Unfortunately they used the Bills as a poor game management. I do agree this was an example of The Corpse making some bad decisions.

Michael Lombardi>INSIDE THE NFL

Frankly Football: Studying the art of game management

"Another example of poor game management occurred during Week 1 of last season when Denver played Buffalo. Denver had just missed a fourth-quarter field goal that would have put it ahead. Leading 14-12, the Bills got the ball back on their own 33 with 3:32 remaining. The Bills' main objective is to get at least one first down, which would have pretty much assured them of the win. If they couldn't get a first down, their next objective should be to reduce the amount of timeouts Denver had in its arsenal. The Bills ran the ball on first down, and the Broncos choose to not stop the clock. On the next play, Bills rookie running back Marshawn Lynch mistakenly ran out of bounds and the clock stopped. Conventional wisdom says the next play call must be a running play in order to get the clock moving again or at least force the Broncos to call one of their two remaining timeouts. But the Bills called a pass, which fell incomplete -- stopping the clock with 2:36 remaining.

The Bills ended up losing when Denver's Jason Elam kicked a field goal as time expired. The Bills gave this game away with very poor game management . Even if the Bills had just taken a knee the final two offensive plays, they would have won the game."

~The Answer
  • dasaybz
    • Apr 2005

Re: SI: Frankly Football - Studying the art of game management

2 run plays in bounds and that game is basically over.

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

Poor decision by Lynch- and I don't want to hear this "rookie mistake" crap because the rules are the same at every level. He should know how to kill the clock by now.

Even worse decision on the part of the coaching staff to try a pass on that next play. Like the author said- at that point, there are two goals: 1. get a first down and 2. take time off the clock. A run, even if it loses yards, guarantees that #2 will happen. It was a very amateur mistake.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• raphael120
        Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
        • Oct 2005

It's the very basics that seem to fly over the heads of our coaches in critical situations. Like taking away the sideline routes in the Cowboys game. There was a playcall they should have executed to take away all the routes that would allow the receiver to catch the ball and get out of bounds and it was not called. Hence how some guy was WIDE OPEN by the sidelines and then ultimately led to the loss.

Stupid stupid stupid game management.

Comment

• DrGraves
          • Mar 2008

i am still having nightmares about that loss.

Comment

• The Answer
            The Plagiarist
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by DrGraves
            I'm over it, especially since we still finished 8-8 and 2 games out of the playoffs.

But you have to wonder what would have happened if we started Trent from day one - I think we win that game, and probably win the cowboy game since Trent would have had 3 more starts under his belt by the time we played it.

~The Answer

Comment

• justasportsfan
              • Jul 2002

the best way to control the clock is hire assistants that know what they are doing.
              sacrifice1
              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                the best way to control the clock is hire assistants that know what they are doing.
                or pay attention to what's going on in the game and overrule your assistants when they do something stupid.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• raphael120
                  • Oct 2005

Originally posted by DrGraves
                  It pissed me off just writing it...I could feel the vein in my forehead pumpin.

Comment

• raphael120
                    • Oct 2005

Originally posted by OpIv37
                    or pay attention to what's going on in the game and overrule your assistants when they do something stupid.
                    And thats why, in my eyes, I have no faith in our coaching staff. They're in a 2 game hole for me. They have to regain my confidence in them by coming out with good game plan and surprise me. Maybe we win against a good San Diego team? Winning against the Seahawks would be a good win to build off of too...theyre not a great team but theyre a good team. If we can't beat the Seahawks on opening day in our home stadium, I think we're back to the same ol same ol again. I think a win on opening day will do a lot to help the confidence of the Bills players, the fans, and really set the tempo and mood for the rest of the season.

Comment

• DrGraves
                      • Mar 2008

i walked out in the pouring rain for about 2 hours after elam made that kick wondering why the football gods enjoy torturing buffalo fans so much

Comment

Working...
                      X