PDA

View Full Version : Who will start at tight end?

justasportsfan
07-10-2008, 02:51 PM
The Bills have since revamped their tight end corps. Massaquoi, Royal and Schouman are the only holdovers from last season as the club added Courtney Anderson in free agency and Derek Fine via the draft. But while there are new pieces there are no defined roles for any of them.

"It's unsettled," said head coach Dick Jauron. "There's no doubt about that, but I like the group. We're optimistic."

But who will be the starter?

Robert Royal is the incumbent, but he hasn't taken a snap since last season as offseason knee surgery forced him to miss the entire spring. Jauron and tight ends coach Charlie Coiner need to see Royal bounce back and return to more of his 2006 form.

"I'm very happy with what Robert has done this offseason," said Jauron. "He's done everything that's been asked of him by the trainers in rehab. We anticipate he'll be completely healthy for training camp and that's good. Strength wise, weight wise, body fat, all of those things are good in his case and he's a guy we trust completely."

"For me I want to get out there and compete, but in reality you have to be concerned with what's going on and if you still have an issue and you still want to make sure it's 100 percent right," said Royal of his knee. "But I think everything is taking its course and hopefully it will continue to go well so I can go out there and put up some big numbers."

Looking at Royal's competition he may have to. Derek Schouman had a strong spring as he was a frequent target of Trent Edwards in the OTAs and minicamp. Schouman was also a noticeable presence in the red zone. Even though the pads aren't on yet, Schouman's play is not expected to drop off when the team arrives at training camp as his blocking ability allowed the staff to utilize him in a fullback role last season.

"I've always considered myself an all-around tight end where I take a lot of pride in my blocking as well as running routes," said Schouman. "It's a whole different game when you put the pads on and that's what I like and that's a physical game."

"Derek [Schouman] is a fine football player and when we drafted him a year ago, we had some inside information on him with (offensive line coach) Sean Kugler coming onto our staff," said Jauron. "And what Sean told us and what we saw on film, is what we're seeing now. The guy knows how to play the game, he has a feel for the game, and he is a very hard worker and determined to succeed."

Also in the mix for the starting role is free agent pickup Courtney Anderson. He and Schouman were both used with the first unit in two tight end sets with Royal rehabbing his knee. At 6'7" 270 pounds Anderson moves well for his size and was a factor in the passing game this spring.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=6210

DraftBoy
07-10-2008, 02:53 PM
No real mention of Fine at all...

justasportsfan
07-10-2008, 02:55 PM
No real mention of Fine at all...
I think he'll be nothing more than ST in his first year.

raphael120
07-10-2008, 02:56 PM
I think I could start at TE if I tried out.

justasportsfan
07-10-2008, 02:57 PM
I think I could start at TE if I tried out.
I don't think the jills are interested

:jk:

DraftBoy
07-10-2008, 02:57 PM
I think he'll be nothing more than ST in his first year.

Id say that you could probably expand that to his 2nd, 3rd, and 4th year too...

justasportsfan
07-10-2008, 02:58 PM
Id say that you could probably expand that to his 2nd, 3rd, and 4th year too...
we shall find out in due time.

Luisito23
07-10-2008, 03:22 PM
Unfortunetly I see Royal still starting....:sick:

PECKERWOOD
07-10-2008, 03:32 PM
It's really hard to tell but at this point I think that Royal has one foot out the door. From what I gathered through interviews, articles and videos, Schouman will be used as a TE this year and not like an H-back like he was last year. They will probably use Royal in running situations and then use Schouman and Fine in passing situations.

Patti120
07-10-2008, 03:36 PM
Jason Peters?

Night Train
07-10-2008, 03:38 PM
Miami has some good tight ends.

http://www.sexay.com/galleries/2006/10/tackle_the_tight_end/tackle_the_tight_end_001.jpg

The Answer
07-10-2008, 03:38 PM
Schouman - he has B.E.A.S.T. written all over him.

I still wouldn't mind trading for Shockey though.

~The Answer

bigbub2352
07-10-2008, 03:47 PM
I think even thou Schouman is the popular choice because of his OTAs he will not be the starter but the problem is we dont have a starter Royal at his best is a number 2, Courtney Anderson was on 4 NFL teams last year and i am hoping he can at the very most be a Redzone threat if he makes the team, Massaqoui is a good blocker and was a WR in college so maybe he would stick

I personally think our TEs goin into the season with be Royal, Fine and Anderson in that order and they are gonna keep Schouman as the back up FB and TE and we will see the feild alot on 3rd down
Unfortunalty they brought in no one to compete with Barnes who has sucked so far in his career, so it will be him or Evans or hopefully were are looking at a vet in FA to come in but i doubt it
Starting TE will be Royal for one more year

VeggieMan14
07-10-2008, 04:09 PM
Schouman - he has B.E.A.S.T. written all over him.

I still wouldn't mind trading for Shockey though.

~The Answer the schoumanator will prevail:dance:

coastal
07-10-2008, 04:42 PM
Translation: which tight end will we draft in round 1 next year?

gr8slayer
07-10-2008, 04:44 PM
Meh, much like our QB position I'll just choose none of the above. I doubt any of these bums would start on any other team out there.

Confused
07-10-2008, 04:44 PM
who will start at TE? How about a player that would be depth on any other team? thats a sure bet. I am still pist we wasted our 3rd on a DE. That was a putz move.

The Jokeman
07-10-2008, 08:08 PM
Robert Royal has done nothing in my minds eye to lose his starting position. As he's still clearly the best TE we have on our roster. As is a good run blocker and a favorite in the locker room. I can't see us parting ways with him. The guys behind him though are all question marks. Schouman's a feel good story in being a former low round pick he's having a great camp now that he's getting playing time in part because of Royals recovering form an injury. Courtney Anderson offers size and red zone capabilities that no one else has to offer and can see him replacing the Michael Gaines role. While not mentioned I can't see us letting go of Fine so soon into his career. I mean if Schouman was so great as Chris Brown has made him out to be why did the Blls bring in two free agents (granted Teyo Johnson's no longer here) and draft Fine this year? Toss in our current O-line coach has to be ties to Boise State and must know how good he is. I wouldn't be shocked to see Schouman be cut in favor of Royal, Anderson and Fine but if only keep 1 FB he might stick around to play H-back.

DrGraves
07-10-2008, 08:23 PM
SHOCKEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

who cares if he is a dick... hes way better than anyone on our roster! being a well behaved team doesn't make you good.

Confused
07-10-2008, 10:02 PM
shockey just got hurt when u suggested that graves.

Oaf
07-10-2008, 11:45 PM
It's unfortunate that we have bottom 6 starters at C, TE, FB, and arguably, WR.

coastal
07-11-2008, 06:59 AM
The player Bills fans need to be watching is not on our roster yet. Be sure to watch Missouri games this year.

Chase Coffman, TE 6'6" 245 lbs.

Perfect 2nd round tight end selection... 3rd down and red zone weapon.

mybills
07-11-2008, 07:29 AM

justasportsfan
07-11-2008, 09:13 AM
If HArdy lives up to his potential and the rb's will get involved in the passing game we may not need a TE to catch a lot of balls. A great blocking TE may even help in that process.

Jan Reimers
07-11-2008, 10:19 AM
Before condemning every TE, new and old, to the lower regions of Hell, I think I'll watch their progress during training camp, the preseason, and the regular season.

I get blamed for being a homer, but you guys who crap all over Fine before he even puts on pads are really something.

With your absolute prescience, you be headed to Vegas, playing the stock market or at least working at Lily Dale, instead of wasting your time here.

DraftBoy
07-11-2008, 11:12 AM
Before condemning every TE, new and old, to the lower regions of Hell, I think I'll watch their progress during training camp, the preseason, and the regular season.

I get blamed for being a homer, but you guys who crap all over Fine before he even puts on pads are really something.

With your absolute prescience, you be headed to Vegas, playing the stock market or at least working at Lily Dale, instead of wasting your time here.

You act like there is no previous body of work to judge the guy on. Forget the past four years he spent in college because in your mind that obviously doesn't count at all. Your making just as ridiculous assumptions as those you accuse myself and others like me of doing.

Bill Cody
07-12-2008, 11:42 PM
You act like there is no previous body of work to judge the guy on. Forget the past four years he spent in college because in your mind that obviously doesn't count at all. Your making just as ridiculous assumptions as those you accuse myself and others like me of doing.

Had you even heard of Fine before we drafted him? Just wondering.

gr8slayer
07-12-2008, 11:46 PM
Yeah, he did a good write up on him and I scouted him.

yordad
07-13-2008, 01:32 AM
Yeah, he did a good write up on him and I scouted him.
:link:

Jan Reimers
07-13-2008, 07:07 AM
I'm not making any assumptions. I'm just giving the guy a chance. But since you know every friggin' thing there is to know, what's the point in discussing it?

I'm not a friggin' expert like you, but I thought Fine was good college TE. But if you say he was crap, it must be so.

mybills
07-13-2008, 12:47 PM
I'm not making any assumptions. I'm just giving the guy a chance. But since you know every friggin' thing there is to know, what's the point in discussing it?

I'm not a friggin' expert like you, but I thought Fine was good college TE. But if you say he was crap, it must be so.
:snicker:

DraftBoy
07-13-2008, 03:22 PM

No your not making assumptions at all....get off your moral high horse and stop acting like you think you're better than other fans.

DraftBoy
07-13-2008, 03:23 PM

Umm...yes...how could you not? Kansas was one of the Cinderella NCAAF teams last year. Besides that like Gr8 said, he was in the draft guide.

mybills
07-13-2008, 03:45 PM
get off your moral high horse
C'mon DB, does "just giving the guy a chance" really fall under that?

DraftBoy
07-13-2008, 03:46 PM
:link:
My write-up: http://www.billszone.com/drafthtml/BZDraft2008.pdf

14. Derek Fine-Kansas 6’2, 251lbs, 4.83-40
Pros:
-Hands
-Versatility
-Smarts
-Motor

Cons:
-Size
-Athleticism
-Speed
-Blocking

Fine was the starting TE for the surprising Kansas Jayhawks and was a valuable receiving target for Kansas. He has great motor, good hands and shows good smarts against defenses to find soft spots. Fine lacks size and speed to be an
NFL starter and needs to work on his blocking ability. However with his motor he could one day to develop if he keeps it up.

DraftBoy
07-13-2008, 03:48 PM
C'mon DB, does "just giving the guy a chance" really fall under that?

No but the constant bashing of any poster who says even one negative word about a player does. Jan has consistently called out people like Op, because they are negative fans. Asking why a "fan" would enjoy being negative/critical all the time. If he chooses to be a fan in a certain way (like praising every Bills move likes its the next coming of the messiah) then so be it, but dont bash other fans for having a different point of view. Hence the comment I made.

Philagape
07-13-2008, 03:54 PM

Don't worry, they're still in the upper surface regions of Hell for now.

mybills
07-13-2008, 06:27 PM
Jan has consistently called out people like Op, because they are negative fans.

Hence the comment I made.
Didn't notice that. :oops:

PECKERWOOD
07-13-2008, 07:28 PM
My write-up: http://www.billszone.com/drafthtml/BZDraft2008.pdf

Hands, smarts, motor and versatility.. Those are traits that I would love for every Bills player to have. You can't teach smarts.. If he can use his brain to find soft spots in coverages then he should be OK. Athletic tools will only take you so far, I value the brain far more than any other characteristic to be honest. Plus, it's not like he is a horrible athlete, he still has nice size for a reciever, maybe not for your prototypical TE perse. At this point, a TE that could catch the football would be an upgrade over Royal and his stonehands.

Romes
07-13-2008, 08:25 PM

I think that sometimes, some people try so hard to avoid the "homer" label that they say stuff which is as equally ridiculous, just on the opposite end of the spectrum. As if being a homer would somehow discredit all football knowledge they have. Instead, I think every fan has a bit of homer in them whether they like to admit it or not.