PDA

View Full Version : Should the NFL adopt a Salary Cap System Similar to the NHL

Dr. Lecter
07-11-2008, 10:14 AM
With the owners opting out of the NFL CBA, there appears to be a chance that there will be significant changes to the way the NFL conducts business. I love how the NHL runs it cap - it is fairly simple and straightforward, w/o the caveats and loopholes that exist in the NFL and NBA.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Here are some highlights:<o:p></o:p>
1. The cap hit is the average salary of the player. A player has a 5 year, 30 million dollar deal the hit is 6 million per. No playing with salaries like giving him 3 years of 5 million per, and then 2 years of 7.5. This makes it more difficult for teams to try and play with FA's by loading deals so a team can't match because of a heavy hit in one year.<o:p></o:p>
2. Deals are guaranteed so there are few bonuses and the there is no crap like LTBE and NLTBE bonuses so teams get cap credits for previous cap money "spent". There is a small bonus adjustment, but it is much less than the NFL. There are not stupid things like giving Shaud Williams a 1 million bonus if he scores 5 TDs in a game so the Bills get a credit the next season. <o:p></o:p>
3. Deals can't be extended until there is only one year left. So if you sign a 7 year deal, the player has it until at least year 6 before an extension, not a new deal can be signed. This eliminates hold-outs and essentially makes players and teams accept responsibility for what has been agreed to. <o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
4. A team can buy a player out, but receives a cap hit immediately of 2/3rds of the remaining deal (not 100% on the actual amount and I am too lazy to verify right now although I do have the CBA saved somewhere). Basically it makes it so teams can cut a guy, but the dead space for a non used player is damaging, but impossible. In practice, this usually happens to players with only one year left on their deal.<o:p></o:p>
5. There is a rookie cap. Self-explanatory. A must. The deals are very structured, usually 2 or 3 years and two-way deals (N/A for the NFL). <o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>There would have to be some changes since there is no minor league and players are not drafted 2-3 years before they actually sign a contract in the NFL (i.e. borderline vets and rookies can’t be guaranteed) and the roster sizes might cause some problems. But as a basis, especially if we see guaranteed contracts as part of the next CBA, I like the concepts. <o:p></o:p>

OpIv37
07-11-2008, 10:27 AM
#5 is an absolute must.

I like #3.

#2 and #4 are scary because it's basically impossible to get rid of a player who isn't performing without taking a huge financial/cap hit, however, it would be tough to give the teams the protection in #3 without also giving the players the protection in #2 and #4.

TacklingDummy
07-11-2008, 10:34 AM
They should have a hard cap. If the players contract is 5 years $30 Million. It counts as $6 million per year.

And they should do away with signing bonus.

OpIv37
07-11-2008, 10:44 AM
They should have a hard cap. If the players contract is 5 years $30 Million. It counts as $6 million per year.

And they should do away with signing bonus.

the problem with that is that signing bonuses are guaranteed money for the players, so if they do away with signing bonuses they'll have to guarantee the contract or at least a portion of the contract.

RockStar36
07-11-2008, 11:52 AM
I like the average salary deal.

That will make it harder for teams to adjust the cap instead of them just backloading deals.

Dozerdog
07-11-2008, 01:16 PM
Too many injuries in football - guaranteed contracts will never be the norm

OpIv37
07-11-2008, 01:21 PM

yeah but they should come up with a way to guarantee the player some money without this stupid signing bonus/amortization crap. Maybe a certain number of years are guaranteed but don't count against the cap if a player is on IR for more than a certain amount of time- something along those lines.

Mitchy moo
07-11-2008, 01:38 PM

It's not like no one has ever been hurt in hockey, see our playoff run a few years ago against the canes for example, our bench was nearly half rochester.

Dozerdog
07-11-2008, 02:03 PM
It's not like no one has ever been hurt in hockey, see our playoff run a few years ago against the canes for example, our bench was nearly half rochester.

But football injuries have a much longer and greater impact.

Most hockey players come back from serious injuries to be at least close to 100%. on top of that, they have a much longer time frame (Seasons are twice as long as football month wise) and Hockey has a minor league system to help players recoup and recondition.

One knee injury and many players are a shell of their former selves.

TacklingDummy
07-11-2008, 02:19 PM
the problem with that is that signing bonuses are guaranteed money for the players

If a player doesn't perform he shouldn't get paid. Schobel should be giving money back.

OpIv37
07-11-2008, 02:22 PM
If a player doesn't perform he shouldn't get paid. Schobel should be giving money back.

true dat. I've always wanted to see more performance based contracts in sports, but Gene Upshaw and the players union would never allow it. Wow, getting more pay for more performance- what a novel concept. Amazing how the rest of America subscribes to that concept but athletes think they should get paid a hell of a lot more than us whether they perform or not.

Mr. Pink
07-11-2008, 02:37 PM
I like all the ideas except 1.

5 is the best one, NO one should receive the type of money that the NFL pays out when you haven't proven a thing. It might get more players to escape the BUST label seeing they might play their ass off to get a big lucrative set for life contract.

Why I don't like 1 is because that helps the owners out and teams. Backload a contract on a guy with no intention on paying him that money. Although sure that could be ended and total contracts wouldn't seem as ridiculous...and the player would make the same, but it helps get teams to sign guys now and makes agents happy.

The Cap should be more like the NBA structure. If you miss on a player, you're screwed. You're stuck paying that contract and your franchise suffers. It puts more emphasis on good scouting, better coaching and better training.

gr8slayer
07-11-2008, 09:56 PM
All contracts should just be based on incentives with a couple million in guarantees, rookies or not. You play well, you get paid well, but that's not the world we live in.

Typ0
07-11-2008, 10:03 PM
there is no true economic need for the salary cap. it should be done away with and the owners should just tell the players to go screw off if they want too much money. If the league gets watered down because they won't hire the best players we'll just revolt.

Typ0
07-11-2008, 10:04 PM
All contracts should just be based on incentives with a couple million in guarantees, rookies or not. You play well, you get paid well, but that's not the world we live in.

it sounds good but is very difficult to structure the incentives because there is so many variables and the risk becomes cloudy.

Turf
07-11-2008, 10:08 PM
My problem with the NFL salary cap is that you can't keep your best players even if you have the money. NFL teams should have the option to sign 2-3 homegrown veterans at any price they want. It keep the NFL the NFL, and keeps the familiarity with the fan base and player recognition. A franchise ought to be able to keep a Bruce Smith or Payten Manning and still sign other players. The lack of leadership and cohesiveness is what is making the NFL a boring sport.
In other words, I loved hating Bob Griese. I want to love hating Tony Romo in Dallas. I want to beat Tom Brady in NE, and Favre in GB. I want Brady in Washington because NE didn't want him and Washington did, not because of a salary cap. I want thinking people to be able to make football decisions.
Let's face it, the NFL product is a watered down mess. Games are too short, no time to run the ball if you're behind. Like the networks have anything better to put on TV on a Sunday afternoon.
The cap is half the reason the game is dying. The other is time.

gr8slayer
07-11-2008, 10:18 PM
it sounds good but is very difficult to structure the incentives because there is so many variables and the risk becomes cloudy.
Of course, I'm just talking about how it "should be" in the perfect world.