PDA

View Full Version : Who will be the nickel corner?

justasportsfan
07-11-2008, 02:57 PM
It's a position where your head has to be on a swivel and you can't use the sideline as an extra defender. Things happen fast in the slot for a cornerback so you have to be quick, smart and strong. What Bills cornerback fits that list of criteria the best will be determined in training camp in a couple of weeks.

Buffalo's nickel corner job is completely up for grabs as veteran slot corner Kiwaukee Thomas was not re-signed by the club this offseason. The main candidates to claim the role are veteran free agent signee Will James and rookies Leodis McKelvin and Reggie Corner.

James worked throughout the spring with the first nickel unit and performed admirably, which is not surprising since he has experience in the slot.

"My last year in New York (Giants) I was playing inside," said James. "So I was playing inside and outside matching up with receivers. Then I was out for a year and came back with Philly and they used me in the nickel also."

James is a heady player and at 6'0" and 200 pounds he can also muscle up on receivers inside and re-route them.

"Things happen fast and receivers have two-way go's and you have the short quick guys in there a lot of the time," said James. "You also have run reads, so there's a lot going on at one time."

That's why the other two candidates for the job in McKelvin and Corner could be at a disadvantage in the competition in terms of experience.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=6213

Mr. Pink
07-11-2008, 02:58 PM
Greer will be the nickle corner.

You don't draft a CB in round 1 if you don't plan on him being one of your top 2 corners.

James will end up being the dime corner.

Confused
07-11-2008, 02:59 PM
Alot more mention of corner and james than mckelvin. I see mckelvin @ no2 or even no.1 after the bye.

OpIv37
07-11-2008, 03:12 PM
I think that before the halfway point, Greer will be nickel and McKelvin will be starting.

justasportsfan
07-11-2008, 03:13 PM
Slot CB role is James' to lose
Today Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 1:18 PM ET | Link

SLOT CB ROLE IS JAMES' TO LOSE: Even though it will be an open competition for the slot CB role in the nickel package, Will James clearly has the inside track entering camp. It's clear that since defensive coordinator Perry Fewell has been here that he prefers an experienced player in that role. Kiwaukee Thomas was the first example since Dick Jauron's staff has been here. James looks like the next.

There's just too much riding on this season to put a wet behind the ears rookie out there. You need a guy that's been in there before. Corner and McKelvin could be quick on the uptake and outperform him, but I think their level of play would have to be dramatically better to take the job from him. Anyone feel differently?

http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?blogger_id=1

gr8slayer
07-11-2008, 03:23 PM
I'm sure McKelvin will start out as the number three. Greer deserves a shot after the way he played last season.

Confused
07-11-2008, 03:27 PM
No1 greer
No2 mckelvin
No3 Mcgee

in my convoluted world.

gr8slayer
07-11-2008, 03:28 PM
No1 greer
No2 mckelvin
No3 Mcgee

in my convoluted world.
I still think that Greer is our best CB with McGee closely following. I can't say anything about McKelvin yet.

DraftBoy
07-11-2008, 03:52 PM
McKelvin starts out as Nickle, and then by mid season becomes the starter over either McGee or Greer. Probably McGee...

Pinkerton Security
07-11-2008, 03:54 PM
McKelvin starts out as Nickle, and then by mid season becomes the starter over either McGee or Greer. Probably McGee...

i dont get it. why would greer leapfrog over mcgee in the depth chart?? special teams?? no way. that is only 3 or 4 returns a game (hopefully) compared to having arguably our best corner starting. i just dont see them making the tradeoff, especially when parrish and mckelvin can do similarly well at returning kicks.

gr8slayer
07-11-2008, 04:00 PM
Greer > McGee

The Answer
07-11-2008, 04:02 PM
Slot CB role is James' to lose
Today Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 1:18 PM ET | Link

SLOT CB ROLE IS JAMES' TO LOSE: Even though it will be an open competition for the slot CB role in the nickel package, Will James clearly has the inside track entering camp. It's clear that since defensive coordinator Perry Fewell has been here that he prefers an experienced player in that role. Kiwaukee Thomas was the first example since Dick Jauron's staff has been here. James looks like the next.

There's just too much riding on this season to put a wet behind the ears rookie out there. You need a guy that's been in there before. Corner and McKelvin could be quick on the uptake and outperform him, but I think their level of play would have to be dramatically better to take the job from him. Anyone feel differently?

http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?blogger_id=1

James was a solid signing - if McKelvin can secure a starting spot by midseason we might just have one of the deepest secondaries in the league.

Who knows - we might be good enough now to limit the Patriots to 30 points per game against us as well. :snicker:

~The Answer

Scumbag College
07-11-2008, 04:05 PM
I love the explosive return abilities of McGee and during the week he just didn't have the practice time to work on kickoff returns and focus on being a starting CB. In today's NFL, you need at least three good CBs and probably five capable cbs on your roster with all of the 4 and 5 wide sets most teams use. If McKelvin and Greer are "1 and 2" McGee will still be playing on probably around half of the defensive plays as a nickel.

I think the CB position will be the most interesting positional battle this year in training camp and the preseason. If James is healthy, a fourth round pick and the collegiate playmaking skills of Corner, and Youboty finally showing flashes near the end of the year last year, I think at least one good player will be sent packing by the final cuts.

Oaf
07-11-2008, 05:04 PM
In Nickel situations, I'd like to see McGee move inside and McKelvin take his spot on the outside.

Confused
07-11-2008, 06:47 PM
Greer is a better cover corner than mcgee. MCkelvin is reportedly a shutdown corner. I am all for playing a Tampa2 if our corners can man up when they have to. Mcgee's size will suit us well in the nickel when he is called up for run support.

Goobylal
07-11-2008, 11:29 PM
I say, may the best man win!

Night Train
07-12-2008, 06:40 AM
If we have to wonder, then we may actually have some depth there.

mybills
07-12-2008, 06:55 AM
Greer > McGee
Is that why you haven't made my sig pic yet? :tap:

mybills
07-12-2008, 06:56 AM
Youboty is out.

yordad
07-12-2008, 07:54 AM
In Nickel situations, I'd like to see McGee move inside and McKelvin take his spot on the outside.I could see that. McGee is solid, frame wise. He is fast. He is experienced. McKelvin is taller.

Greer and McGee are close, but McGee is surely better, IMO.

None of these guys jumps of the page (yet), but we do appear to be solid with very solid depth. Heck, our 5th guy could start for the Browns!

Yasgur's Farm
07-12-2008, 09:26 AM
IMO, by mid-season...

All Mc Starters (The Scottish Connection)...
McGee
McKelvin

Nickle...
James

Dime...
Greer

Depth...
Corner

Scumbag College
07-12-2008, 10:07 AM
If we have to wonder, then we may actually have some depth there.

I am really excited about the Bills defense this year. If they can stay relatively healthy, I think they could be a top 10 unit in the NFL. The D Line is set I believe, I love the DT pickups and the third round pick Ellis. Poz coming back and the Mitchell addition is going to add alot of size and strength the LBs lacked last year. I think the CBs are deep, and if Ko can come back 100% the safeties are young, athletic, and can hit.

I think the Bills keep eleven DBs this year, six CBs and five safeties. Greer, McKelvin, McGee, James, Corner, and Youboty stay. Youboty has all the tools and can get another year to put it all together. Corner can make plays, I believe he had 7 INTs his senior year. James can add some veteran leadership and I don't think the Bills would have signed him if they weren't convinced his back wasn't fine. At safety, Whitner and Ko start. Scott stays and is used in short yardage situations and is the primary backup at both safety spots. Wendling and Wilson stay because of their athletic ability and special teams skills.

The Bills will keep eight D Linemen and six, maybe seven LBs. I hate that Ryan Neill saw the field last year and I hope someone can step up in camp and take over the long snapping duties. He sucks at it anyways and takes up a roster spot. I love the LBs and I also like the quality of the depth behind the starters.

Confused
07-12-2008, 10:37 AM
IMO, by mid-season...

All Mc Starters (The Scottish Connection)...
McGee
McKelvin

Nickle...
James

Dime...
Greer

Depth...
Corner

no way in hell Greer gets dropped to no.4.

yordad
07-12-2008, 12:35 PM
no way in hell Greer gets dropped to no.4.Well I thought no way in hell he would be only #5 entering last year.

McGee, Webster, Thomas, Youboty, Greer. I doubt it too, but I ain't ruling it out.