• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shelby
    The Vanilla *****
    • Jul 2002

Words of confidence create a stir

Interesting take on Whitner's comments....
    Donte Whitner guarantees that the Buffalo Bills will make the playoffs this year.
    Whoa!!! We got our top story of the day. Brash third-year safety says his team will win games!
    Aw, he's just trying to make a name for himself on ESPN's "SportsCenter," like that guy from Pittsburgh -- what's his name? -- who said the Steelers would beat the undefeated Patriots late last season. Self-promoting jerk! At the very least, he needs to be tested for some mind-altering drug.
    Here's my question: Why do we get so bent out of shape when a player stands up for his team? I know as a former beat writer the last thing I wanted to hear out of the mouths of players was, "We'll do our best and whatever happens happens?" We hate it when they give the company line, yet we hold them up for ridicule or criticism when they say what they really feel.
    What should Whitner say? "I think if all goes right, if we catch a few breaks, we have an excellent chance to go .500."
    For the record, he didn't call a news conference, didn't stand up at a podium, didn't tell a pack of reporters to turn on their recorders because he had something really important to announce, then make the biggest proclamation this side of "7-Eleven is giving away free Slurpees!" No, Whitner was asked by a writer for The Sporting News if he expected the Bills to make the playoffs. Here's a franchise that's been down since the Music City Miracle but has shown bits of promise in the last year. Is Whitner supposed to throw cold water on his teammates and fans and say, "Are you out of your mind? Name nine teams in the conference we're better than. I can't."
    The Bills need leaders and Whitner is willing to step up and try to be to Buffalo what Brian Dawkins has been to Philadelphia. When you're taken with the eighth overall pick in the NFL draft, isn't that what you're supposed to do? Whitner is already showing leadership qualities by working with 2008 first-round pick Leodis McKelvin, a cornerback, even housing the rookie until he finds his own place.
    "Do I expect us to make the playoffs?" he answered TSN. "I'm guaranteeing it."
    These type of guarantees are as common as a losing lottery ticket, oftentimes not to be taken seriously by rational sports people. Yet, the media runs big-time with them every single time.
    .......I don't know if Buffalo can make the playoffs this season; I don't really care. I just don't see Whitner's comment so much a guarantee as a vote of confidence in his teammates. And maybe a challenge.
    What's so wrong with that?
    full story
    Last edited by shelby; 07-13-2008, 05:49 PM.

• Jan Reimers
    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
    • May 2003

Re: Words of confidence create a stir

It's the same way with many of the know-it-alls on here. God forbid anyone express any optimism about the Bills.
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Mitchy moo
      Roways rooking ahread!
      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
      It's the same way with many of the know-it-alls on here. God forbid anyone express any optimism about the Bills.
      Que OP to come on crush all optimists........

Comment

• evol4276
        • Oct 2005

i think it sounds more like an expectation than a guarantee.. whether he said the word or not. good. im glad he does.

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
          Defies all logic
          • Oct 2006

He is being a little cocky, which is OK in sports as long as you can back it up because if you can back up cockiness it really just means that you're confident, right?

Comment

• Philagape
            WIN NOW
            • Jul 2002

Wow, that's a good deal on the Saturn Vue!
            "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
            2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• SquishDaFish
              Lets GO BUFFALO!!
              • Jun 2005

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

Here's my question: Why do we get so bent out of shape when a player stands up for his team?
                He DIDN'T stand up for his team because NO ONE was putting the team down. He made an arrogant and unreasonable prediction.

I know as a former beat writer the last thing I wanted to hear out of the mouths of players was, "We'll do our best and whatever happens happens?
                What's wrong with "Our goal is to make the playoffs and I think we have the talent to do it"? There are PLENTY of ways to express confidence in your team without being arrogant and unreasonable.

This writer is a jackass. Whitner needs to lead with his play on the field and not by running his mouth to reporters. If Whitner wanted to challenge his teammates, he would have said that- this guy is reading into things that aren't there.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                  This isn't optimism- it's arrogance. And Whitner's play does not support this kind of arrogance.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Skooby
                    Que OP to come on crush all optimists........
                    damn straight. I hate it when cocky athletes make unreasonable guarantees that just motivate the competition and make them look like jackasses.

Whitner hasn't done **** in this league and now he's talking smack. **** that- I hate it when guys do that.

Think about how we'd feel if the Jets safety was saying this crap. We'd all think it's arrogant and annoying. But if the player making the comment is wearing red and blue instead of green and white or aqua and teal or navy, red and silver, it's acceptable. **** that noise.
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

And btw, since when does letting a rookie stay in a spare bedroom and making a ridiculous guarantee to a reporter constitute leadership? Wow, Bills fans really have lowered their standards on everything.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                        Defies all logic
                        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by OpIv37
                        And btw, since when does letting a rookie stay in a spare bedroom and making a ridiculous guarantee to a reporter constitute leadership? Wow, Bills fans really have lowered their standards on everything.
                        lol

Comment

• shelby
                          The Vanilla *****
                          • Jul 2002

Sigh.

Comment

• The Spaz
                            • Mar 2003

Whitner is far from arrogant, check what he had done off the field. He is far and away a very good "team player". I chalk his prediction to nothing more than confidence in himself, the team and the coaching staff.

Comment

• The Spaz
                              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37
                              He didn't have to do **** for him but he did. Sounds like a pretty good teammate and shows leadership skills to me. Have you ever offered somebody you don't know to stay with you?

Comment

Working...
                              X