X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HHURRICANE
    • Mar 2005

A "dink and dunk" year?!

Interesting. Would you take a 65% completion percentage and a low YPA if it converts into TDs?

I found it interesting that Brown doesn't think it's Edwards, but Schonert, that will be driving a dink and dunk offense.

KC Joyner: It will be a ton of short passes, so expect something like 3,000 yards, a 63-65% completion rate and a YPA in the low 7s. In other words, a dink and dunk year.
    He's undoubtedly going on history expecting Turk to completely embrace his West Coast heritage playing for Cincinnati under a Bill Walsh disciple in Sam Wyche. You think he's right about this one???
  • Philagape
    WIN NOW
    • Jul 2002

Re: A "dink and dunk" year?!

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
    if it converts into TDs
    That's all that matters, points on the board. It also would be good to keep the defense off the field.
    "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
    2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• The Spaz
      • Mar 2003

Where does Chris Brown say he agrees with it?

Comment

• gr8slayer
        • Feb 2005

If it leads to a ring I don't care what we do or how boring the offense is.

Comment

• raphael120
          Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
          • Oct 2005

There's the difference between dink and dunk that leads to consistent points (and when I say points I mean not just FG after FG), and dink and dunk that is poorly executed and stalls once we get inside the 20 yard line, like last season.

Dink and dunk is useful, but I think TE proving that our offense can stretch the field is going to be key in seeing if dink and dunk can even work. If all we do is throw short passes, the opposing defense will always cover the flats, stack the box, etc... But the key to this season is to show we are a balanced offense. We need to show that you are not just defending Lynch, or even Evans. But you need to defend Jackson split wide, Schouman, Parrish/Reed in the slot. Hardy running slants, etc. With as many weapons with many different talents and uses on this offense, the only question is will our gameplan take advantage of them?

Think about it. Our team is kinda talented on offense. What team can boast a bruiser like Lynch paired with a quick, ellusive backup like Fred Jackson? Both can catch, both are dangerous in the passing game. Also, say what you want about Reed, but I have no problem with him in a #3/#4 role as solely a possession reciever. Also Parrish needs to finally be utilized in screens and also to stretch the field. The only thing that remains is how much notice opposing defenses are going to pay to Hardy. If Hardy shows he is not a threat and not good at running routes and getting open, it's going to be another crap offensive season. As much as this season rides on Edwards, I believe it rides just as much on Hardy proving he can be a #2 as a rookie.

Comment

• acehole
            • Jan 2006

The key is the TD's so yes.

The other key is keeping deffences honest to get there.

The other key is not to throw game changing picks.

We are really built to run vs pass...but one opens up the other.

Long balls open up short and intermediate and vis versa.

Key to the whole thing is balance and execution.

If I am a d coordinator I blitz Trent early and often...up the middle.

He isnt very mobile and can be forced into mistakes.

It also takes away from the run game a bit as that
            is where most of our runs go. Of course you can counter this
            with roll outs and swing passes...but I did not see many of
            these plays last year...but the west coast offense does.

The whole thing will be fun to watch and unfold...

We shall see.

Interesting. Would you take a 65% completion percentage and a low YPA if it converts into TDs?

I found it interesting that Brown doesn't think it's Edwards, but Schonert, that will be driving a dink and dunk offense.

KC Joyner: It will be a ton of short passes, so expect something like 3,000 yards, a 63-65% completion rate and a YPA in the low 7s. In other words, a dink and dunk year.
            He's undoubtedly going on history expecting Turk to completely embrace his West Coast heritage playing for Cincinnati under a Bill Walsh disciple in Sam Wyche. You think he's right about this one???
            Hated by the stupid..
            Loved by their moms.

Comment

• Mad Max
              Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
              • Mar 2003

That YPA doesn't sound low for a 2nd year starter. It sounds just about right. Id be ok with it, anything in the mid 7s is gravy (as long as it came with at least as many TD's as FG's).

Comment

Working...
              X