• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • raphael120
    Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
    • Oct 2005

Young Team Needs to Steal a Few Wins Early

First off, this whole premise is based on the fact that the reason we've finished the season losing the last few games of the season is because we were out of the playoff running and maybe that affected effort somehow...it is a young team with minimal leadership.

On to the point of this thread:

I think whether we make the playoffs lies a lot on how many wins we get within the first 5 games of the season, before our bye week. This very young team has no room for error. We need to stay in and also finish off games early on. We NEED to win the Seahawks home opener game. First, it sets a good tone, we get tons of confidence for our younger players, and it also keeps the fans happy to see us win a home opener for once. Also I think will release alot of pressure and nerves our team might be facing early on.

So I think out of the first 5 games, the home opener Seahawks game is most important for morale and momentum.

It's important for our team to steal as many wins as we can early on while our team is still trying to find itself, find its strengths, weaknesses. Hardy needs to get his feet wet and Edwards needs to see how he executes the new offense.

I know as the season wears on, we should get better, but the teams we're going to be competing for the wildcard spots with will also be getting better, so there is very little room for error as crunch time comes towards the end of the season, so I think us winning 3 of the 5 games to start the season is imperative. It's very possible to do also. I see us losing to the Jags and also one of the away games in St. Louis or Arizone. We need to win at home against the Seahawks and Raiders. The Raiders are a joke and if we lose to them at home, i think we got serious issues and Whitner needs to tell his team to stop making him look like a fool with his guarantees.

So we need to win Seahawks, Oakland and one of the Arizona/St Louis games, and I think we'll be set to take on the lesser opponents and also have enough confidence going into these harder games to steal a few wins away from the Chargers, Browns and Denver. Those 3 games will hold a lot of weight come end of the season if we're competing for a wild card spot. We'll probably be competing with those teams.

If we enter the bye week 2-3 or worse, I think the fans of the Bills can start to come to the conclusion that this is yet another year we watch the development of another rookie QB and just watch based on seeing improvement of our rookies and nothing more... We all know how the story ends when we start slow.
  • Confused
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Jun 2007

Re: Young Team Needs to Steal a Few Wins Early

good post. very true. I think 4-1 is plausable. hope against hope.

Comment

• Tatonka
      • Jul 2002

every game is important.. they need to win every week.. i know it wont happen, but i really cant say, oh well this game against St. Louis that we just lost isnt important because we beat Arizona.. you follow.. i guess what i am saying is that every win is a major boost and every loss is a major downer.. DJ has had this team competing hard every game for 2 years. they never quit and they never seem to be intimidated.. i think that just having all the injuried players back and another year of experience for last years draft picks, along with the talent we added this years draft (kick return potential and redzone jump ball potential) can make a huge huge difference.

my expectations are very high for this season.
      "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• raphael120
        Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
        • Oct 2005

I think a home opener loss against the Seahawks will hurt a lot worse than a road loss in St. Louis. That's my point. We're talking about team psyche here.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
          Roways rooking ahread!
          • Sep 2005

Originally posted by raphael120
          I think a home opener loss against the Seahawks will hurt a lot worse than a road loss in St. Louis. That's my point. We're talking about team psyche here.
          The team needs to learn how to win close games, losing any game hurts but you are correct in saying building team confidence early on will only help in the long run.

Comment

• Confused
            All-Pro Zoner
            • Jun 2007

momentum is key. we cant start out 0-3.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
              Roways rooking ahread!
              • Sep 2005

Originally posted by hoofhearted
              momentum is key. we cant start out 0-3.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                • Mar 2005

Don't we have an incredibly crappy record against the Seahawks?

With that said I completely agree that we can't go through yet another 2-3 start.

If we start out this way again you can blame it ALL ON THE COACH and not the young team.

The coaching staff is under the most scrutiny this year.

Comment

Working...
                X