PDA

View Full Version : Brad Butler says "Trent is a true leader".

HHURRICANE
07-13-2008, 01:57 PM
Butler was interviewed on Sirrius and said that Trent is a natural leader and has quickly gained the respect of his teammates.

Two questions:

1) Does that imply that J.P. Losman wasn't?

2) Does that mean he has more say in how the offense will be run?

I would say that JP's issues weren't just related to his play but the respect of his teammates. Even when Holcomb got benched he had quite a few guys around him. When JP got benched he was sitting in a corner by himself.

Butler must feel pretty good about Trent to say it on air with that much conviction.

hydro
07-13-2008, 02:05 PM
Or he is just saying the right thing because that is what he should do when referring to the starting QB.

HHURRICANE
07-13-2008, 02:11 PM
Or he is just saying the right thing because that is what he should do when referring to the starting QB.

Never heard "leader" and "JP" mentioned in the same sentence from any player.

I did hear things like "he's the starter" which was about it. And before anyone mentions the Captain thing let's not forget that 30 of the 32 QBs in the league were named Captain.

HHURRICANE
07-13-2008, 02:12 PM

Unsolicited.

Mitchy moo
07-13-2008, 02:12 PM
Maybe Trent's commitment to getting in great shape and his ability to actually see a few steps past the initial intended target has shown them he is ready?

Being able to throw a ball well makes you good, being able to make the right choices of where you are throwing the ball makes you better.

SABURZFAN
07-13-2008, 02:28 PM

i'm sure a Licker will find something.

PECKERWOOD
07-13-2008, 04:03 PM

Yeah, you would think so right? What good would it do to come out and say that Trent sucked? ... :rrich:

Captain gameboy
07-13-2008, 04:25 PM
Maybe this is pre camp noise and should be judged as such.

TigerJ
07-13-2008, 05:01 PM
In one sense, Gameboy is right. At this time of year, talk is just that, talk. Appart from anything that players have to say, it does strike me that Trent Edwards has the kind of personality that does tend to inspire confidence in persons around him. He comes across as mature beyond his years, knows what he is capable of doing and expresses confidence in the ability of those around him to do their job. And so far, he does not do a lot of finger poionting at those around him when they don't do their job. Leaders know that when they talk about responsibilities, the important pronouns to remember are "I" and "We." When speaking aout accomplishments the pronouns to remember are "You" and "They."

Now, about comparisons with Losman. I don't think that's a huge factor. JP has a different personality, more of the "excited kid" persona. I think he can be a leader. It think some of the things about leadership, he may need to have learned. I think he's pretty likeable, wants to succeed and wants the team to succeed. I admire him for keeping his yapper shut this offseason. I'm sure he's been offered opportunities by media outlets to speak his mind and vent his frustration, but he hasn't done it.

As far as Trent having more in the way of input into the offense, I think that has to do more with the change in offensive coordinators than QBs. Until last year Butler had not played having come into the league recovering from shoulder surgery (I think). He played with JP some last season, but not enough to be trying to make a huge issue about comparisons. If you recall, JP did have a champion in Lee Evans.

Personally, I'm tired of QB controversies. As far as I'm concerned, Trent Edwards is the Bills QB until he proves himself unable to handle that designation. I'm glad when teammates are inclined to use "leader" and Edwards in the same thought, but I'm not thinking about other QBs. For me, now, it is a question of what the whoe team can do, and I'm hoping for good tthings.

gil
07-13-2008, 05:36 PM
well, I goshdarn hope so

SquishDaFish
07-13-2008, 05:42 PM
I know you just got back Sabz but the licker thing is old and gone.

Jan Reimers
07-14-2008, 04:34 AM
Butler was interviewed on Sirrius and said that Trent is a natural leader and has quickly gained the respect of his teammates.

Does that imply that J.P. Losman wasn't?
I don't think it implies anything. The two - Trent being a leader and JP not - are not mutually exclusive.

HHURRICANE
07-14-2008, 07:29 AM
I don't think it implies anything. The two - Trent being a leader and JP not - are not mutually exclusive.

I think anytime a player replaces another one you are going to make comparisons.

I found it interesting that Butler went out of his way to talk up Trent's leadership skills. He could have just given the generic response that every player gives.

It was obvious, at times, that JP had to make extra efforts with his O-line and other players to gain their confidence off the field.

Seems like Trent is doing it with without the "extra" effort.

justasportsfan
07-14-2008, 08:20 AM

Another classic HH thread. :crazy:

justasportsfan
07-14-2008, 08:23 AM
I think anytime a player replaces another one you are going to make comparisons.

I found it interesting that Butler went out of his way to talk up Trent's leadership skills. He could have just given the generic response that every player gives. .
IN case you missed it, Lee ,Reed and the other players went out of their way to support JP when he was the qb. They even went out of their way to blame playcalling. BUtler is a nobody compared to Lee on this team.

It was obvious, at times, that JP had to make extra efforts with his O-line and other players to gain their confidence off the field.
.:rofl:

Mr. Miyagi
07-14-2008, 08:41 AM

Two questions:

I would say that JP's issues weren't just related to his play but the respect of his teammates. Even when Holcomb got benched he had quite a few guys around him. When JP got benched he was sitting in a corner by himself.

Butler must feel pretty good about Trent to say it on air with that much conviction.
Why is it that when somebody says something positive about a certain player, it has to automatically mean something negative about players that are mentioned?

Why does everything have to be so black and white?

"My wife cooks very well" does not mean "she's terrible in bed."
"You have a beautiful baby girl" does not mean "but your son is ugly."

TacklingDummy
07-14-2008, 08:46 AM
Neither will be a leader as long as the Bills keep losing.

trapezeus
07-14-2008, 08:51 AM
as much as i'd like to think this means something, it really doesn't. i'm hopeful trent is the real deal. That being said, i think butler is just saying what he should say. You heard people say the same thing about QB's of this team for the last 8 years. but what has that done for us?

However, i will say that the team probably notices that trent is traveling to meet players in order to be on the same page. and i think that says something to all of us. he's not there just to collect a check. he actually wants to win.

Like jan said that has nothing to do with JP. it's just a good sign to see from our presumed starter this year.

djjimkelly
07-14-2008, 09:22 AM

I did hear things like "he's the starter" which was about it. And before anyone mentions the Captain thing let's not forget that 30 of the 32 QBs in the league were named Captain.

maybe u needed to listen a little harder

The Answer
07-14-2008, 11:02 AM

Two questions:

1) JP did some solid things off the field (i.e tree planting, cleaning graffiti) but on the field he was not a leader. One of the big things that people like Bill Walsh preached was Trent's poise and leadership and we saw that last year. That is why he didn't look like a typical rookie and showed flashes of brilliance.

2) Yes I think a major reason that Schonert is taking the handcuffs off and letting Trent audible this year is because he trusts his judgement in the pocket. In JP's defense, he didn't have that opportunity the last few years in buffalo, but then again I don't believe the coaching staff trusted him to do so.

Holcomb was a leader and the offense was much better with him at the helm, that is why Moulds and a lot of other vets were in his corner.

~The Answer

The Answer
07-14-2008, 11:08 AM
In one sense, Gameboy is right. At this time of year, talk is just that, talk. Appart from anything that players have to say, it does strike me that Trent Edwards has the kind of personality that does tend to inspire confidence in persons around him. He comes across as mature beyond his years, knows what he is capable of doing and expresses confidence in the ability of those around him to do their job. And so far, he does not do a lot of finger poionting at those around him when they don't do their job. Leaders know that when they talk about responsibilities, the important pronouns to remember are "I" and "We." When speaking aout accomplishments the pronouns to remember are "You" and "They."

Now, about comparisons with Losman. I don't think that's a huge factor. JP has a different personality, more of the "excited kid" persona. I think he can be a leader. It think some of the things about leadership, he may need to have learned. I think he's pretty likeable, wants to succeed and wants the team to succeed. I admire him for keeping his yapper shut this offseason. I'm sure he's been offered opportunities by media outlets to speak his mind and vent his frustration, but he hasn't done it.

As far as Trent having more in the way of input into the offense, I think that has to do more with the change in offensive coordinators than QBs. Until last year Butler had not played having come into the league recovering from shoulder surgery (I think). He played with JP some last season, but not enough to be trying to make a huge issue about comparisons. If you recall, JP did have a champion in Lee Evans.

Personally, I'm tired of QB controversies. As far as I'm concerned, Trent Edwards is the Bills QB until he proves himself unable to handle that designation. I'm glad when teammates are inclined to use "leader" and Edwards in the same thought, but I'm not thinking about other QBs. For me, now, it is a question of what the whoe team can do, and I'm hoping for good tthings.

It's not just teamates raving about Edwards, obviously The Corpse is giddy as well with comments like this:

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/25607526/

"The biggest question mark—and the most important—is about Edwards. He was a bit streaky in his nine rookie starts last season, but he impressed his coaches with his intelligence, leadership and quick delivery. Coach Dick Jauron characterizes Edwards as unusual because he is so mature, calm and unflappable."

~The Answer

raphael120
07-14-2008, 11:12 AM
Well i'll tell you this much, the stuff we've seen and heard with Edwards thus far is totally different from what we've seen and heard with Losman. Losman was all about his athleticism, rocket arm, and big play ability. We all know how far those intangibles take you.

The Answer
07-14-2008, 11:14 AM
Well i'll tell you this much, the stuff we've seen and heard with Edwards thus far is totally different from what we've seen and heard with Losman. Losman was all about his athleticism, rocket arm, and big play ability. We all know how far those intangibles take you.

Exactly - when have we ever heard this type of praise about JP during an offseason the last few years?

I'm glad that the media is recognizing the intangibles that Edwards brings to the table because that is what is going to lead us to the postseason and beyond.

~The Answer

justasportsfan
07-14-2008, 12:33 PM
I'm glad that the media is recognizing the intangibles that Edwards brings to the table because that is what is going to lead us to the postseason and beyond.

those intangibles leading us to the postseason remains to be seen. Blesdoe was a very respected leader by his peers.

The Answer
07-14-2008, 12:44 PM
those intangibles leading us to the postseason remains to be seen. Blesdoe was a very respected leader by his peers.

And he has led teams to the playoffs, and the superbowl - at least during the first half of his career.

~The Answer

justasportsfan
07-14-2008, 12:46 PM
And he has led teams to the playoffs, and the superbowl - at least during the first half of his career.

~The Answer
Point is, Drew couldn't do it here so I won't be counting my chickens yet with an experienced Trent.

yordad
07-14-2008, 12:47 PM
i'm sure a Licker will find something.I seriously cannot understand for the life of me how you are not banned.

I don't think I have read a post of yours yet that has actually added to the conversation or that wasn't in some way inflammatory.

yordad
07-14-2008, 12:49 PM
Or he is just saying the right thing because that is what he should do when referring to the starting QB.Well said.

trapezeus
07-14-2008, 12:51 PM

i don't think that's true. everyone respected Drew as a good guy. but when a game was close, no one trusted Drew to be able to pull it out. that's the difference between people claiming they are leaders and people who are leaders.

TacklingDummy
07-14-2008, 12:55 PM
Point is, Drew couldn't do it here so I won't be counting my chickens yet with an experienced Trent.

Drew couldn't do much after the hit he took by Mo Lewis.

justasportsfan
07-14-2008, 01:25 PM
i don't think that's true. everyone respected Drew as a good guy. but when a game was close, no one trusted Drew to be able to pull it out. that's the difference between people claiming they are leaders and people who are leaders.
I will go with Parcells' opinion/action to bring him to Dallas.

justasportsfan
07-14-2008, 01:27 PM
Drew couldn't do much after the hit he took by Mo Lewis.
whats your point? He was still very much respected by his players . Besides, he did enough to make probowl when he came here and shattered Kelly's records. something Trent can only hope to do at this point.

trapezeus
07-14-2008, 01:59 PM
I will go with Parcells' opinion/action to bring him to Dallas.

How'd that work out for them?

I'm just saying there is a difference of people saying "i'm the leader because i am in a position that has assumed leadership" vs people who say very little yet seem to command attention and steer people to work harder.

Both are technically leaders but the latter is a leader you want to see. Bledsoe, Flutie, Losman, Holcomb all said they were leaders. People said it, coaches said it, they said it. But none of them inspired any player to dig deep and demand more.

I'll say it again, trent's record is unclear, but hopefully he becomes that latter leader. Hopefully people see him making such huge efforts to get to a whiny Lee Evans as a reason to push themselves further. if it doesn't do that, then he isn't much of a leader.

justasportsfan
07-14-2008, 02:16 PM
How'd that work out for them?..

Would you dare compare the results of Dicks opinion over Parcells?

I'm just saying there is a difference of people saying "i'm the leader because i am in a position that has assumed leadership" vs people who say very little yet seem to command attention and steer people to work harder.

I'll say it again, trent's record is unclear, but hopefully he becomes that latter leader. Hopefully people see him making such huge efforts to get to a whiny Lee Evans as a reason to push themselves further. if it doesn't do that, then he isn't much of a leader.

HOPEFULLY. Which means it remains to be seen. Thank you.

TacklingDummy
07-14-2008, 02:50 PM
whats your point? He was still very much respected by his players . Besides, he did enough to make probowl when he came here and shattered Kelly's records.

And yet it still led the Bills nowhere.

Captain gameboy
07-14-2008, 02:50 PM
whats your point? He was still very much respected by his players . Besides, he did enough to make probowl when he came here and shattered Kelly's records. something Trent can only hope to do at this point.

Records be damned.
I was as happy as could be when Drew came here, but he had a fatal flaw.

The man threw idiotic picks at incredibly bad times.

He did it in New England, here and in Dallas.

The best way to handle Bledsoe was to bench him in the fourth quarter.

There is no performance basis to either love Trent Edwards or hate him, but, I'll give him the same chance that JP got, and that equals about two years.

justasportsfan
07-14-2008, 02:51 PM
And yet it still led the Bills nowhere.
exactly. thanks.

TacklingDummy
07-14-2008, 02:53 PM
There is no performance basis to either love Trent Edwards or hate him, but, I'll give him the same chance that JP got, and that equals about two years.

That's about 31 starts.

it's really not fair since Trent has more talent around him. :snicker:

Jan Reimers
07-14-2008, 02:56 PM

I feel the same way. And it's the way I feel about all young players with the Bills.

justasportsfan
07-14-2008, 02:57 PM
Records be damned.
I was as happy as could be when Drew came here, but he had a fatal flaw.

The man threw idiotic picks at incredibly bad times.

He did it in New England, here and in Dallas.

The best way to handle Bledsoe was to bench him in the fourth quarter.. Records may be damned but Trent can only dream of getting close. My point in bringing up Drew is that inspite of his records and leadership, he didn't take us anywhere. Now The answer is talking about Trents leadership (which has yet to be seen ) will take us deep into the post season. I sure hope he's right but for now, it's all talk.

exactly. I wasn't sold on JP after 06, all the more I'm not sold on Trent after last year.

Captain gameboy
07-14-2008, 03:04 PM
I have a very good feeling about Edwards.

But then I am a good feeling kind of guy who thinks discussions about leadership from second year quarterbacks is a pretty silly conversation.

justasportsfan
07-14-2008, 03:06 PM

But then I am a good feeling kind of guy.

meh, I had a good feeling about Willis too the first couple of years here.

I too had a good feeling about Trent when we drafted him after watching his college highlights.

Captain gameboy
07-14-2008, 03:09 PM
meh, I had a good feeling about Willis too the first couple of years here.

I too had a good feeling about Trent when we drafted him after watching his college highlights.

You are a "true leader."

It is almost time for you to issue a guarantee.

SABURZFAN
07-14-2008, 06:18 PM
I know you just got back Sabz but the licker thing is old and gone.

:laughing:

don't kid yourself. :smoke:

gr8slayer
07-14-2008, 08:00 PM
What else do you expect him to say about the starting QB? Even if he didn't think it was true he would still say it to keep the PR department happy.

Captain gameboy
07-15-2008, 03:35 AM
A "true leader" may not be a "fearless" leader.

bullwinkle.toonzone.net/fearlessleader.htm

Now there was a fearless leader.

jamze132
07-15-2008, 06:30 AM
Leadership isn't tangible, but you know it when you see it. I didn't see it in JP, I do see it in Trent. He needs to harness that natural gift and then everyone else will follow. I see it everyday in the Army.

acehole
07-15-2008, 07:37 AM
Move along people nothing to see here.

Funny how so much is implied by a comment....(Opinion).

....and nothing is made of stats (a fact).

Two questions:

HHURRICANE
07-15-2008, 02:50 PM
Move along people nothing to see here.

Funny how so much is implied by a comment....(Opinion).

....and nothing is made of stats (a fact).

Message board. Brad Butler didn't get pressed for an opinion. He gave it freely.

justasportsfan
07-15-2008, 03:21 PM
Message board. Brad Butler didn't get pressed for an opinion. He gave it freely.
and then you came up with comparisons out of no where using that coment by Butler.

gr8slayer
07-15-2008, 04:59 PM

But then I am a good feeling kind of guy who thinks discussions about leadership from second year quarterbacks is a pretty silly conversation.
I'm glad someone does.