Brad Butler says "Trent is a true leader".

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HHURRICANE
    • Mar 2005

Brad Butler says "Trent is a true leader".

Butler was interviewed on Sirrius and said that Trent is a natural leader and has quickly gained the respect of his teammates.

Two questions:

1) Does that imply that J.P. Losman wasn't?

2) Does that mean he has more say in how the offense will be run?

I would say that JP's issues weren't just related to his play but the respect of his teammates. Even when Holcomb got benched he had quite a few guys around him. When JP got benched he was sitting in a corner by himself.

Butler must feel pretty good about Trent to say it on air with that much conviction.
  • hydro
    • Oct 2005

Re: Brad Butler says "Trent is a true leader".

Or he is just saying the right thing because that is what he should do when referring to the starting QB.
    BERNIAC!

Comment

• HHURRICANE
      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by hydrosmak
      Or he is just saying the right thing because that is what he should do when referring to the starting QB.
      Never heard "leader" and "JP" mentioned in the same sentence from any player.

I did hear things like "he's the starter" which was about it. And before anyone mentions the Captain thing let's not forget that 30 of the 32 QBs in the league were named Captain.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
        • Mar 2005

Unsolicited.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
          Roways rooking ahread!
          • Sep 2005

Maybe Trent's commitment to getting in great shape and his ability to actually see a few steps past the initial intended target has shown them he is ready?

Being able to throw a ball well makes you good, being able to make the right choices of where you are throwing the ball makes you better.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
            short bus extraordinaire
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
            Never heard "leader" and "JP" mentioned in the same sentence from any player.

i'm sure a Licker will find something.
            Originally posted by yordad
            Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
              Defies all logic
              • Oct 2006

Yeah, you would think so right? What good would it do to come out and say that Trent sucked? ...

Comment

• Captain gameboy
                • Jul 2002

Maybe this is pre camp noise and should be judged as such.

Comment

• TigerJ
                  • Jul 2002

In one sense, Gameboy is right. At this time of year, talk is just that, talk. Appart from anything that players have to say, it does strike me that Trent Edwards has the kind of personality that does tend to inspire confidence in persons around him. He comes across as mature beyond his years, knows what he is capable of doing and expresses confidence in the ability of those around him to do their job. And so far, he does not do a lot of finger poionting at those around him when they don't do their job. Leaders know that when they talk about responsibilities, the important pronouns to remember are "I" and "We." When speaking aout accomplishments the pronouns to remember are "You" and "They."

Now, about comparisons with Losman. I don't think that's a huge factor. JP has a different personality, more of the "excited kid" persona. I think he can be a leader. It think some of the things about leadership, he may need to have learned. I think he's pretty likeable, wants to succeed and wants the team to succeed. I admire him for keeping his yapper shut this offseason. I'm sure he's been offered opportunities by media outlets to speak his mind and vent his frustration, but he hasn't done it.

As far as Trent having more in the way of input into the offense, I think that has to do more with the change in offensive coordinators than QBs. Until last year Butler had not played having come into the league recovering from shoulder surgery (I think). He played with JP some last season, but not enough to be trying to make a huge issue about comparisons. If you recall, JP did have a champion in Lee Evans.

Personally, I'm tired of QB controversies. As far as I'm concerned, Trent Edwards is the Bills QB until he proves himself unable to handle that designation. I'm glad when teammates are inclined to use "leader" and Edwards in the same thought, but I'm not thinking about other QBs. For me, now, it is a question of what the whoe team can do, and I'm hoping for good tthings.
                  I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• gil
                    • Mar 2005

well, I goshdarn hope so

Comment

• SquishDaFish
                      Lets GO BUFFALO!!
                      • Jun 2005

I know you just got back Sabz but the licker thing is old and gone.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                        Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                        • May 2003

Butler was interviewed on Sirrius and said that Trent is a natural leader and has quickly gained the respect of his teammates.

Does that imply that J.P. Losman wasn't?
                        I don't think it implies anything. The two - Trent being a leader and JP not - are not mutually exclusive.
                        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                          I don't think it implies anything. The two - Trent being a leader and JP not - are not mutually exclusive.
                          I think anytime a player replaces another one you are going to make comparisons.

I found it interesting that Butler went out of his way to talk up Trent's leadership skills. He could have just given the generic response that every player gives.

It was obvious, at times, that JP had to make extra efforts with his O-line and other players to gain their confidence off the field.

Seems like Trent is doing it with without the "extra" effort.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                            Another classic HH thread.
                            sacrifice1
                            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• justasportsfan
                              • Jul 2002

I think anytime a player replaces another one you are going to make comparisons.

I found it interesting that Butler went out of his way to talk up Trent's leadership skills. He could have just given the generic response that every player gives. .
                              IN case you missed it, Lee ,Reed and the other players went out of their way to support JP when he was the qb. They even went out of their way to blame playcalling. BUtler is a nobody compared to Lee on this team.

It was obvious, at times, that JP had to make extra efforts with his O-line and other players to gain their confidence off the field.

sacrifice1
                              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

Working...
                              X