PDA

View Full Version : Club Jauron

billsburgh
07-14-2008, 10:16 AM
anyone else concerned that training camp one again has only 2 days with more than 1 practice? what happened to 2 a day practices? How many players will we lose in the first 2 games again?

raphael120
07-14-2008, 10:19 AM
Time will tell but you'd think something would be modified in response to the crappy starts of the past two seasons we've been having since Jauron came here.

Historian
07-14-2008, 10:20 AM
Fine line.

Run them too hard, and they run out of gas in November.

Run them too lightly, they're not in football shape.

Tough call.

Captain gameboy
07-14-2008, 10:20 AM
I think this injury:training camp regimen linkage is invalid.
In the past, players used training camp to get into shape.
Now, they train continuously, so the requirement is obviated.

Further, I think the staff knows what they are doing, and time spent in the books and in the film room is important enough to justify a little less on the field.

OpIv37
07-14-2008, 10:22 AM
Fine line.

Run them too hard, and they run out of gas in November.

Run them too lightly, they're not in football shape.

Tough call.

we ran them too lightly the last two years.

The result was a team that couldn't put together a full game once the real game started in September.

Oh, and taking it easy on them in camp didn't prevent any injuries- we still had a whole slew of them.

But, in typical Buffalo Bills fashion, they'll try the same thing and expect different results.

Jan Reimers
07-14-2008, 10:26 AM
anyone else concerned that training camp one again has only 2 days with more than 1 practice? what happened to 2 a day practices? How many players will we lose in the first 2 games again?
I can't think of a single injury last season that was due to a lack of conditioning. I also believe the days of running guys into the ground before opening day are basically over.

And Club Marv worked out pretty well in the past.

OpIv37
07-14-2008, 10:30 AM
I can't think of a single injury last season that was due to a lack of conditioning. I also believe the days of running guys into the ground before opening day are basically over.

And Club Marv worked out pretty well in the past.

forget about injury- what about the lack of performance late in games and the inability to close teams out? This team was not prepared to play a full game when the season started last year or the year before and it was a contributing factor to the slow starts. Enough is enough.

There's a balance between Club Jauron, and running guys into the ground.

As far as Club Marv- RIDICULOUS comparison. In those days, our starters were experienced, we had most of the same players, coaches and systems year in and year out and we had a LOT more talent. Now, we have young, inexperienced players, a new OC and different starters every year. It's not the same bunch of guys coming back to do basically the same thing like it was under Marv. These guys need all the practice they can get.

Historian
07-14-2008, 10:30 AM
Kent Hull used to talk about how long the season was, and how difficult is can be to get out there in November and December.

He appreciated Marv's cerebral approach more than anybody I think.

OpIv37
07-14-2008, 10:33 AM
Kent Hull used to talk about how long the season was, and how difficult is can be to get out there in November and December.

He appreciated Marv's cerebral approach more than anybody I think.

the problem is that because of our slow starts, November and December have been meaningless for us anyway. This team has to win in September and October before worrying about November and December.

On top of that, in Kent Hull's days, the Bills' season was a month longer than most teams because they were so deep in the playoffs every year. The current team is going in with 4-5 weeks extra rest than Kent Hull's team.

Captain gameboy
07-14-2008, 10:38 AM
These guys need all the practice they can get.

What do you think they do when they are not on the field?

It probably isn't suspended animation.

OpIv37
07-14-2008, 10:40 AM
What do you think they do when they are not on the field?

It probably isn't suspended animation.

while studying film and the playbook are important, they still need practice and conditioning on the field.

billsburgh
07-14-2008, 10:41 AM
Further, I think the staff knows what they are doing, and time spent in the books and in the film room is important enough to justify a little less on the field.
past results under this regime dont seem to support this.

Captain gameboy
07-14-2008, 10:42 AM
while studying film and the playbook are important, they still need practice and conditioning on the field.

I don't think they get a lot of "conditioning" in practice, at least not the practices that I ever saw.

Time off the field learning is what optimizes practice time on the field.

Call me madcap, but I have a feeling that this staff has a pretty good feel for optimizing both.
We lost 'cause we sucked, not because we didn't run enough wind sprints.

Night Train
07-14-2008, 10:43 AM
I was watching NFL Network last week and they were scrolling the training camp dates at the bottom. All were as long as ours.

With all the OTA's/mini-camps etc, short camps will be the norm from now on. It's not just us.

raphael120
07-14-2008, 10:48 AM
Jauron Season 1 started 2-5 before the BYE

Jauron Season 2 started 1-4 before the BYE

Jauron Season 1 ended 0-2

Jauron Season 2 ended 0-3

This season we only have 5 games before the BYE. I think it's important we have at least a 2-3, 3-2 record. With the schedule as is, we should win Seahawks, Oakland, and either Arizona or St. Louis.

OpIv37
07-14-2008, 10:52 AM
I don't think they get a lot of "conditioning" in practice, at least not the practices that I ever saw.

Time off the field learning is what optimizes practice time on the field.

Call me madcap, but I have a feeling that this staff has a pretty good feel for optimizing both.
We lost 'cause we sucked, not because we didn't run enough wind sprints.

well it's tough to argue with this because there are too many variables. Certainly we lacked talent the last two years so it's difficult to say if a lack of practice or a lack of talent was the contributing factor to the lack of success.

However, what we did the last two years didn't work so it stands to reason that maybe they should try something different. I'm not saying the players should be ru into the ground because that's just ridiculous. But more than 2 two-a-days in over a month of camp isn't too much to ask. They should do 1 a week or maybe 1 every 10 days.

Captain gameboy
07-14-2008, 11:15 AM
well it's tough to argue with this because there are too many variables. Certainly we lacked talent the last two years so it's difficult to say if a lack of practice or a lack of talent was the contributing factor to the lack of success.

However, what we did the last two years didn't work so it stands to reason that maybe they should try something different. I'm not saying the players should be ru into the ground because that's just ridiculous. But more than 2 two-a-days in over a month of camp isn't too much to ask. They should do 1 a week or maybe 1 every 10 days.

I'll trust Jauron over message board posters on this one.

OpIv37
07-14-2008, 11:16 AM
I'll trust Jauron over message board posters on this one.

good idea, since he's been so successful in the past...:rolleyes:

Captain gameboy
07-14-2008, 11:23 AM
good idea, since he's been so successful in the past...:rolleyes:

Regardless of his lack of success, he's been coach of the year by vote of his peers, and last year, the almighty Belichick suggested he should have gotten the award again.

But what do they know?

Its all about two-a-days.

OpIv37
07-14-2008, 11:25 AM
Regardless of his lack of success, he's been coach of the year by vote of his peers, and last year, the almighty Belichick suggested he should have gotten the award again.

But what do they know?

Its all about two-a-days.

It's all about winning. But hey, if you want to judge him by what Belicheck says instead of by how much he wins, I can't stop you. We all know how honest and sincere Bill Belicheck is.

Patrick76777
07-14-2008, 11:26 AM
we ran them too lightly the last two years.

The result was a team that couldn't put together a full game once the real game started in September.

Oh, and taking it easy on them in camp didn't prevent any injuries- we still had a whole slew of them.

But, in typical Buffalo Bills fashion, they'll try the same thing and expect different results.

It's a good point, but I also blame the slow start on the fact that they treated these guys like superstars in the preseason games.

Losman needed the work last year but he hardly played in the preseaon. We weren't talking about 10 year probowl vet.

Plus Lynch barely got any carries last year. The guy was a rookie. I would have liked to see him get some carries.

Same holds true for Edwards this year. Let's not treat him like he's Peyton Manning and pull him after one series. I think Edwards should get at least a half in each of the first 3 games. At least a quarter in the last game.

OpIv37
07-14-2008, 11:30 AM
It's a good point, but I also blame the slow start on the fact that they treated these guys like superstars in the preseason games.

Losman needed the work last year but he hardly played in the preseaon. We weren't talking about 10 year probowl vet.

Plus Lynch barely got any carries last year. The guy was a rookie. I would have liked to see him get some carries.

Same holds true for Edwards this year. Let's not treat him like he's Peyton Manning and pull him after one series. I think Edwards should get at least a half in each of the first 3 games. At least a quarter in the last game.

damn, you and I are agreeing on a lot these days.....

Patrick76777
07-14-2008, 11:46 AM
damn, you and I are agreeing on a lot these days.....

It's really starting to freak me out!

But every year come September I get super optimistic, so once the season starts and I start thinking about 11-5 while you’re thinking about 5-11 we’ll be bickering again.

And then the team will prove us both wrong and average out at 8-8 again.

Yuck, I hope I'm wrong.

jamze132
07-15-2008, 06:47 AM
This is turning really cute guys, thanks.