X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Spaz
    • Mar 2003

Question #8: Will the offense take off?

If the Bills are to have any chance at the playoffs their offense has to do more. After ranking 30th in offense each of the last two years as Lee Evans himself stated this past spring, 'it can't get much worse.'

Buffalo's inability to score on offense in 2007 was a glaring problem and it's one head coach Dick Jauron hopes to remedy this fall.

"We've got to score," said Jauron. "Get the ball in the end zone. I don't care how, just score points and stay on the field. The way you do that is to be consistent. We don't want to turn the ball over. We want to be precise and we want to be aggressive in our attack and in our attitude with everything we do."

Being consistent has been a challenge for Buffalo's attack for a few reasons. Perhaps the biggest stumbling block has been constant change. Since 2000 there have now been six offensive coordinators counting the newly appointed Turk Schonert.

• gr8slayer
    • Feb 2005

Re: Question #8: Will the offense take off?

No

Comment

• raphael120
      Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
      • Oct 2005

Lol.

Take off? I don't even think we got out of the hanger last season, let alone hit the runway to take off.

Comment

• The Jokeman
        • Dec 2003

I wish I could say yes but sadly expect it to be another tough year on offense. I suspect Marshawn Lynch will struggle to reproduce his rookie numbers. Yet I expect Trent to improve but think asking for more then 20 TDs from him be asking a lot as I really don't like our receiving core at all. The only improvement could see on offense is in red zone. I really wish we brought in a veteran WR to start opposite Lee. Not to mention concerns of Turk as OC. While I think a WCO type offense would definitely suit the talent we have just wonder how good Turk can be and would have favored a bigger name guy with a proven track record. I know my idea of Brian Billick was a pipe dream but still would have liked to see what he could have done. That said I like the future potential with Trent and Hardy but 2008 is going to be a transition year.

Comment

• yordad
          • Dec 2007

"Among the anticipated changes to be implemented by Schonert are more play action, more shifts and motions, more passing on first down, more throws to the backs and tight ends, the addition of audibles and a quicker tempo."

I think it could easily be much improved.
          "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• mysticsoto
            Too sober for this...
            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by yordad
            "Among the anticipated changes to be implemented by Schonert are more play action, more shifts and motions, more passing on first down, more throws to the backs and tight ends, the addition of audibles and a quicker tempo."

I think it could easily be much improved.
            I think Schonert is saying and doing all the right things. Like anything...it'll have to be judged in the execution. He does seem to have the idea of making the offense more versatile and adding variety to its plays. That alone is an improvement from last year.

But the coming up to speed of Hardy may be what dictates how well this offense does. I still think the run blocking is also a big key. Lynch is a great back that can wreak havoc in the backfield if the line can just make holes for him and not force him to run outside around them, giving time for defenders to catch up to him.

I'm so glad TC is around the corner!!!

Comment

• Captain gameboy
              • Jul 2002

I cannot remember a season where I thought I would watch the general performance of the offense during the preseason as much as I will this year.

By the second preseason game, I am really hoping that there is a smoothness and "know what we're doing" look to them.

The last few years they have looked completely out of sync for the entire preseason.

Comment

• El Guapo
                • May 2007

Originally posted by gameboy
                The last few years they have looked completely out of sync for the entire preseason.
                They looked out of sync just about the entire season last year.

I
                A Bills fan in Dixie. How did that happen?

Comment

• ddaryl
                  Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                  • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Eric E
                  They looked out of sync just about the entire season last year.

I

They were out of synch for much of the entire season.

Piss poor play calling / coaching deserves much of the blame IMO.

but we did see improved pass blocking which is a sign of the OL getting much better IMO... and that alone should help our O...

I also like what Turk is proposing, the new OC alone should have an improved effect this year.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ddaryl
                    I also like what Turk is proposing, the new OC alone should have an improved effect this year.
                    people liked the Martz system that Fairchild proposed . Getting the players to get it done is another thing. I hope Turk knows how to git-er-done.
                    sacrifice1
                    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• DraftBoy
                      Administrator
                      • Jul 2002

I don't expect to see it.
                      COMING SOON...
                      Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                      We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• yordad
                        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                        I don't expect to see it.
                        Hope and anticipation are part of the fun! Join on in.
                        "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• raphael120
                          Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
                          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by yordad
                          Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't all these the same things Fairchild said before last season? JP Losman leading the charge of our "explosive" offense.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                            Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                            • May 2003

I think we have a very good O line and running game in place, plus a premier WR in Evans and good role players in Reed and Parrish.

In order to "take off," we need a solid year from Edwards, enough of a contribution from Hardy to take some pressure off of Evans, and a TE to step up and be a factor on offense. Plus intelligent playcalling from Schonert.

I think we can. The naysayers think we can't. We'll have to wait and see.
                            Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• justasportsfan
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                              I think we have a very good O line and running game in place, plus a premier WR in Evans and good role players in Reed and Parrish.

In order to "take off," we need a solid year from Edwards, enough of a contribution from Hardy to take some pressure off of Evans, and a TE to step up and be a factor on offense. Plus intelligent playcalling from Schonert.

I think we can. The naysayers think we can't. We'll have to wait and see.
                              I hope so. If not bring in Charlie Weiss.
                              sacrifice1
                              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

Working...
                              X