PDA

View Full Version : Would you pull this trade for Brett Favre?

Dozerdog
07-15-2008, 07:03 AM
JP Losman and possibly a draft pick for 1 or 2 seasons of a declining Brett Favre?

Dozerdog
07-15-2008, 07:05 AM
JP is somewhat of a lame duck. No way he signs here once his contract expires.

Favre could mentor Trent while starting for a season or so. Could that push this team to the playoffs or would it be disruptive?

Mitchy moo
07-15-2008, 07:09 AM
Brett would want to start and cost us a pretty penny.

Night Train
07-15-2008, 07:11 AM
Then we'd be held hostage to his yearly cry & retire ceremonies.

Stick a fork in Brett.

Dr. Lecter
07-15-2008, 07:17 AM
It might help sell luxury suites.

I would be more concerned that the offense that has been built would not be beneficial for Favre's skill set. He and Trent are two very different QBs.

That being said, I would certainly consider it.

Jan Reimers
07-15-2008, 07:20 AM
I'm not a big fan of bringing in aging, declining, high priced players who end up ******ing the progress of your young guys.

It hasn't worked well for us.

Jan Reimers
07-15-2008, 07:32 AM
I would be more concerned that the offense that has been built would not be beneficial for Favre's skill set. He and Trent are two very different QBs.
Plus, I'm not sure we're at the point of having only to plug in one player - Brett Favre - to become a top notch team. We're still young and developing at many positions, and it seems that the timing would be better to develop a young QB along with the other young players.

Turf
07-15-2008, 07:51 AM
In a heartbeat. Favre brings media attention, leadership and gives the opponents something to gameplan against. What do they have to gameplan against now besides trying to block Jaurons vision of the ball on the field?
Of course the old Buffalo ( he's not good enough don't bring this bum in here ) mentality is going to dominate.

OpIv37
07-15-2008, 08:18 AM
Trade Losman? Yes. Bring in Favre? No. We need to find a future QB, not a two year stopgap.

Meathead
07-15-2008, 08:20 AM
tough call because lots of things could happen this season:

- edwards could flourish and jp would be gone
- edwards could flop and jp flourishes
- edwards and jp could both flop

so i go back and forth depending on what i think will happen. clearly if both QBs here were to flop then having favre here for the season would be great

and lets not forget its also quite possible that favre flops wherever he goes, including GB. he looked old, confused, and tired the couple seasons before this last one, he might actually be finished for good

tough call. i guess jp is most likely gone since the only way he would stay is a stellar year and a huge contract offer, possible but unlikely. so i would probably make the trade if the pick was essentially a 'throw-away', maybe a fifth or lower rounder

trapezeus
07-15-2008, 08:26 AM
For whatever reason, Favre has gotten this untouchable label in the NFL. Although that seems to be washing off the longer this charade plays out.

My opinion on Favre is that he is washed up and a "me" only guy. he's not coming to buffalo to mentor anyone. if he was ok with that, he'd please the packer fans and collect a huge check. He isn't going to help the TE, WR, or Oline. He's a fiery guy who'll just yell at them meanwhile he'll be improving whatever play he wants.

We could be starting Marv and Ralph as our 1 and 2 QB and i would not touch these favre.

trapezeus
07-15-2008, 08:27 AM
As for Losman's trade value, he's the bills' equivalent of Maxim Afinagenov. Buffalo fans believe there is some insane value for him, but everyone else in the league has taken a pass.

Dr. Lecter
07-15-2008, 08:27 AM
Trade Losman? Yes. Bring in Favre? No. We need to find a future QB, not a two year stopgap.

So you don't want to win and are satisfied with mediocrity?

(I always wanted to say that to you.)

justasportsfan
07-15-2008, 08:33 AM
Lee Evans would love Farve

User Manuel
07-15-2008, 08:35 AM
It would just make GB's problem ours. In my opinion, if you bring Favre here he:

1) Starts

2) means you have to get rid of Trent (I think it is "his" team now)

I don't think we want top open that door unless we are willing to go ALL the way through it.

Jan Reimers
07-15-2008, 08:36 AM
As for Losman's trade value, he's the bills' equivalent of Maxim Afinagenov. Buffalo fans believe there is some insane value for him, but everyone else in the league has taken a pass.
They really are similar players. Two of the most athletically gifted, exciting, potentially great and totally nonproductive players in all of professional sports.

Dr. Lecter
07-15-2008, 08:37 AM
The difference is Max actually had two very productive seasons.

Jan Reimers
07-15-2008, 08:39 AM
Brett would want to start and cost us a pretty penny.
I'd rather use the money toward re-signing Evans and Crowell and extending Peters.

OpIv37
07-15-2008, 08:40 AM
So you don't want to win and are satisfied with mediocrity?

(I always wanted to say that to you.)

If we bring Favre in, we still have no WR's. We still have no TE's. Our OL still hasn't proven it can run block. Our C still sucks.

Would Favre help the offense? Probably, but we still don't have the talent around him to win the Super Bowl.

So, I'd rather try to develop future talent rather than bring in a guy who just gives us a slightly better outside shot at a wild card loss.

If we were a QB away from winning, I'd be all over this. But we need a lot more than a QB.

Dr. Lecter
07-15-2008, 08:42 AM
I'd rather use the money toward re-signing Evans and Crowell and extending Peters.

That is hard to disagree with. Especially since the addition of Favre will likley not be enough to go the promised land.

If the team was a year or two more along and needed a QB, I would say he might be the magic.

It is tough - JP and pick (depending what pick it is) is not much for Favre. But would his addition slow down other signings?

justasportsfan
07-15-2008, 08:48 AM
For a trade to happen Farve would most likely want to be with the team he will be traded to to begin with. The only reason I see him moving here would be to face the Pats twice a year . IN that case Miami would be a better option for him since the fins have NO qbs.

Philagape
07-15-2008, 08:51 AM

Plus, why would GB take him? They're committed to Rodgers and drafted Brohm.

DraftBoy
07-15-2008, 09:10 AM

and Flynn

DraftBoy
07-15-2008, 09:10 AM
Id do the trade to be perfectly honest but I dont think GB takes it.

Mitchy moo
07-15-2008, 09:13 AM
Farve VS Brady, LOL.

TacklingDummy
07-15-2008, 09:35 AM
I'm not a big fan of bringing in aging, declining, high priced players who end up ******ing the progress of your young guys.

The only problem is Favre realistically will do more in the next 2 years than what TE/JP will do combined.

ddaryl
07-15-2008, 09:50 AM
Farve doesn't want to be a #2 guy and I see no intelligent reason for sitting Edwards so Farve can get one more shot at glory...

Edwards need playing time, and to me that is more improtant for the Bills to move forward.

Also the money would be better spent towards Evans, Peters and Crowell.

trapezeus
07-15-2008, 11:20 AM

but, was Max the number 11 rated winger in 2006? ;-)

Bulldog
07-15-2008, 11:27 AM
They really are similar players. Two of the most athletically gifted, exciting, potentially great and totally nonproductive players in all of professional sports.

With regards to Favre, please tell me you're kidding.

Captain gameboy
07-15-2008, 11:28 AM

He's not talking about Favre.

Jan Reimers
07-15-2008, 11:31 AM
I was responding to a post about about Max and JP.

Bulldog
07-15-2008, 11:39 AM
I was responding to a post about about Max and JP.

:oops: Don't mind me, I'm just happily confused. BTW, are you going to park in the same spot as last year(Jimmy's lot)? Some of the guys that I go to the games with bought a motorhome for us to go up in this year. Nothing too fancy, but it should be a good time.

acehole
07-15-2008, 12:25 PM
JP Losman and possibly a draft pick for 1 or 2 seasons of a declining Brett Favre?

No brainer.

Jp is a gone is a forgone conclusion.

Trent as promising as you think he is.. is an unknown quantity.

Farve would brings legitimacy and stability for the next 1-2 years at the qb position.

Makes us an instant contender for the playoffs and beyond.

Things we have not been and had for the last 10 years change with this move.

And finally...won't ever happen.

:superman:

Farve would do wonders... fun to dream.

madness
07-15-2008, 12:30 PM
We'd have to switch to a new offense for the second time this offseason. :ill:

PECKERWOOD
07-15-2008, 12:41 PM
Despite the poll outcome, I think that the people that voted nay have pretty much won the argument. Favre would only be around for a year most likely and it would hurt our chances of resigning Peters, Crowell and Evans, enough said.

Iehoshua
07-15-2008, 12:47 PM
The value alone of wearing a Favre Bills #4 jersey in front of my in-laws who are all rabid Packer fans justifys the trade in my mind at all costs.

Speaking logically, he mentoring Trent would get from Favre would be beneficial.

justasportsfan
07-15-2008, 12:51 PM
Trent already ran a WCO blend last year .

TacklingDummy
07-15-2008, 12:52 PM
Despite the poll outcome, I think that the people that voted nay have pretty much won the argument. Favre would only be around for a year most likely and it would hurt our chances of resigning Peters, Crowell and Evans, enough said.

Trading for Favre wouldn't hurt resigning those 3.

Peters is under contract for 3 more years, plus 2 tag years. There is no rush.

Evans is under contract this year. His time with the Bills will end after this season. That's another reason why Hardy was drafted.

Crowell should be the easiest to resign.

Do you really want to rely on Trent's "potential" to stablize the Bills QB position? Im hoping Trent works out but if I had to bet on it I would bet against it. I hate to see the QB position drag the Bills down for yet another year.

Michael82
07-15-2008, 12:52 PM
I love Favre and voted for that, but after reading more...I'm starting to believe that he's another one of those guys with a big ego and won't do any mentoring for Edwards. So sure, it would make our team more exciting and more recognized, but it would also slow down the development of Trent Edwards. I don't see Favre mentoring him either. I also think he's too damn wishy washy. I'm flip flopping again and will change my vote.

After Favre’s emotional retirement news conference last March, Thompson and McCarthy began preparing Rodgers to take over as the starter. Later that month, according to a report in Friday’s Wisconsin State Journal, Favre told the GM and coach he was ready to end his retirement and return but later reneged on the deal. At that point, the decision was made to move forward with Rodgers as the starter, and in April the team drafted two quarterbacks, second-rounder Brian Brohm (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/8833/;_ylt=AhQ7FxYx8RvVoGXWcSTtNmSr0op4) and seventh-rounder Matt Flynn (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/8986/;_ylt=AtgSxapwWr7a6KPhZltxGbKr0op4), as backups.

Rodgers also has shown his leadership skills by actively mentoring Brohm and Flynn, a stark contrast to the chilly reception he got from Favre after joining the team.

TacklingDummy
07-15-2008, 12:55 PM
Speaking logically, he mentoring Trent would get from Favre would be beneficial.

Wouldn't Favre mentoring JP be more beneficial? After all JP was considered to be like Favre/Young. And Edwards is more like Todd Collins, Kelly Holcomb.

PECKERWOOD
07-15-2008, 12:56 PM
The value alone of wearing a Favre Bills #4 jersey in front of my in-laws who are all rabid Packer fans justifys the trade in my mind at all costs.

Yeah, that really worked out well for Aaron Rodgers!! :lmao:

TacklingDummy
07-15-2008, 12:58 PM
I love Favre and voted for that, but after reading more...I'm starting to believe that he's another one of those guys with a big ego and won't do any mentoring for Edwards.

Did Kelly mentor Collins?
Did Marino mentor whoever?
Did Elway mentor whoever?
Did Flutie mentor Johnson?
Did Favre mentor Rogers?
Did Bledose mentor Brady?
Did JP mentor Trent?
Is Manning mentoring his replacement?

The "mentoring" thing is full of crap.

The Answer
07-15-2008, 01:00 PM
Why on earth are we even talking about this?

Favre is 40 years old and at best he will give this team ONE season, assuming he plays like he did last year. Don't forget between 2004-2006 fans in Green Bay probably couldn't wait for him to retire based on his play. So we'd be rolling the dice either way.

Also why ruin yet another QB, what does this say to Edwards? Sorry for praising you and giving the starting job, and forget about all the hard work thus far this offseason but we are putting you on hold for a year or so because we feel a washed up HOF QB gives us a better chance to win now?

Favre needs to retire, or stay in the NFC North if he does want to play still.

~The Answer

ddaryl
Yeah, that really worked out well for Aaron Rodgers!! :lmao:

I completely agree...

Farve would do nothing but set the franchise back a few more years.

AND I know our present FO groomed by Marv Levy would not be stupid and pull a DOnahue and bring in an aging vet.

It woul dtake Farve a year or 2 just to get in synch with the team and the O, meanwhile Edwards sits on a bench and get to watch Farve play. Maybe it helps him somewhat, but it won't give him much needed playing time.

I really can not believe how many people here honestly believe that Farve is no miss quick answer...

justasportsfan
Did Kelly mentor Collins?
Did Marino mentor whoever?
Did Elway mentor whoever?
Did Flutie mentor Johnson?
Did Favre mentor Rogers?
Did Bledose mentor Brady?
Is Manning mentoring his replacement?

The "mentoring" thing is full of crap.
Drew supposedly did mentor and help Brady which is why the high respect for Drew.

The Answer
07-15-2008, 01:01 PM
Drew supposedly did mentor and help Brady which is why the high respect for Drew.

This is true - he just never expect Brady to take his job and become one of the greatest QB's of all time under his watch.

Imagine how JP is going to feel in a few years if Trent ends up winning a superbowl in Buffalo.

~The Answer

TacklingDummy
07-15-2008, 01:03 PM

After watching Bledose it should be easy for any QB to learn what not to do.

TacklingDummy
07-15-2008, 01:04 PM
Imagine how JP is going to feel in a few years if Trent ends up winning a superbowl in Buffalo.

Don't really care how he would feel. Just like I don't really care that Robosack has a ring.

The Answer
07-15-2008, 01:06 PM
Don't really care how he would feel. Just like I don't really care that Robosack has a ring.

TD you have been on an unrelentless tear lately - telling it like it is and holding nothing back.

I like that.

~The Answer

yordad
07-15-2008, 01:18 PM
On this team, he would be our backup. His style is not Jauron's style.

Iehoshua
07-15-2008, 01:30 PM
Brady got his mentoring from Blew Dreadsoe, so that does put more holes in the mentoring argument than swiss cheese.. :ill:

Perhaps Brady got the benefit of seeing how NOT to do things.... :snicker:

trapezeus
07-15-2008, 01:48 PM
i think mentoring in the NFL means, being quiet and letting the other guy start. I think all these players are too competitive to sit down and be like, "look junior, you made a mistake here, here and here. Let's try it again and see if you can do better. i know you have it in you."

that's why we have QB coaches. the backup simply needs to know enough to guide a team in a game he's called in, and talented enough to be a starter if he gets prolonged snaps.

justasportsfan
07-15-2008, 02:02 PM
After watching Bledose it should be easy for any QB to learn what not to do.
that would still be mentoring.

justasportsfan
07-15-2008, 02:02 PM
This is true - he just never expect Brady to take his job and become one of the greatest QB's of all time under his watch.

that will always have an asterisk because of cheating.

Confused
07-15-2008, 02:23 PM
REALLY BAD IDEA!!!!

He'd cost too much, prolly not accomplish jackpoo in the process and stunt Trents progression.

TacklingDummy
07-15-2008, 02:31 PM
On this team, he would be our backup. His style is not Jauron's style.

The Bills style should fit the players talent. The talent shouldn't fit the style.

TacklingDummy
07-15-2008, 02:33 PM
Brady got his mentoring from Blew Dreadsoe, so that does put more holes in the mentoring argument than swiss cheese.. :ill:

Perhaps Brady got the benefit of seeing how NOT to do things.... :snicker:

Bledsoe also mentored Losman. How'd that one work out?

justasportsfan
07-15-2008, 02:46 PM
Bledsoe also mentored Losman. How'd that one work out?
No he didn't.

DrGraves
07-15-2008, 02:54 PM
Lets summarize:

Brett Favre- greatest qb ever, and would have been mvp last season if not for brady/moss.

JP Losman- no career accomplisments, will most likely never start an nfl game again.

TacklingDummy
07-15-2008, 04:53 PM
No he didn't.

Oh so when Bledsoe is the starter and Brady is the backup it's mentoring but when Bledose is the starter and JP is the backup it's not?

Like I said before, mentoring doesn't mean crap.

gr8slayer
07-15-2008, 05:00 PM
No, we've spent all off-season and the better part of last year preparing Edwards to be the #1 QB. It would be a waste of nine months worth of work to bring in someone like Favre. Add to that the fact that even if Favre did start he wouldn't have even close the amount of talent around him here, thus he likely wouldn't have even close to the same success.

acehole
07-15-2008, 06:49 PM

No we are essentailly running the west coast.

SABURZFAN
07-15-2008, 09:11 PM

i don't recall Max losing his job to a rookie either.

Al the Bills Fan
07-15-2008, 09:32 PM
While I respect Favre as a football player I would hate to see him in Buffalo, here's why;

1. It stunts Trent's growth as our QB of the future.

2. Takes a huge some of money which should be used to redo deals for Evans & Crowell

3. We do not have a team that has the right supporting cast for Favre to be successful here

Trent is our QB!

Philagape
07-15-2008, 09:37 PM
I entered this thread with an open mind, and the anti-trade arguments convinced me. :faint:

Turf
07-15-2008, 10:13 PM
You're all forgetting one thing in this arguement. This is not the league of building. It's the league of hired guns. Teams don't stay together. Teams stay together 1-3 years and separate. When you have your chance and the money you fill the roster up. There is no long term. Case in point, Lee Evans. You load, you shoot, you reload.
As far as Trent goes, and I prefer him over JP, I'm afraid he'll be the Tim Connolly of the NFL. I don't see him playing an entire year. So where do you turn next? JP?
You have a potential shot at a QB who hasn't missed a game in 3 million years, and an arm like a cannon, and experience. And you're going to pass that up to rebuild? Rebuild what? You can't rebuild!! The team you're trying to rebuild will be half gone in 3 years, and half or more of them were'nt here three years ago!
This is the league of assembly, which is exactly why I keep harping on the coaching. You need a coach these days to give you that edge and bring it all together.
That all being said, Favre isn't coming here anyways, but since we're debating it I'll put in my 2 cents.

TacklingDummy
07-15-2008, 10:14 PM
Only Bills fan would want Trent Edwards over Brett Favre.

Favre is still a top 8 QB in the NFL.

Edwards is no sure thing.

yordad
07-15-2008, 10:30 PM
The Bills style should fit the players talent. The talent shouldn't fit the style.Yep. That is what I have been saying. Now go tell Jauron. Maybe he will start our most talented QB.

yordad
07-15-2008, 10:33 PM
Lets summarize:

Brett Favre- greatest qb ever, and would have been mvp last season if not for brady/moss.

JP Losman- no career accomplisments, will most likely never start an nfl game again.Great summary. Not sure how that relates, considering Trent Edwards is the starter.

Mind summarizing again? I think your first summary wasn't exactly a summary.

gr8slayer
07-15-2008, 10:38 PM
Yep. That is what I have been saying. Now go tell Jauron. Maybe he will start our most talented QB.
He already is.

SABURZFAN
07-15-2008, 11:11 PM

i agree. not to mention the media circus that would follow him. i don't like the idea of giving up a draft pick either.

DrGraves
07-15-2008, 11:44 PM
dear yordad i don't know why you have a problem with all my posts but, the poll was should we trade jp for favre... and according to my post, it seems to be a good trade to the bills.

Mitchy moo
07-15-2008, 11:50 PM
i agree. not to mention the media circus that would follow him. i don't like the idea of giving up a draft pick either.

Drew Bledsoe personal accomplishment's before trades- 0

Brett Farve's- Most yards ever in the NFL, SB champion and lead team to 13-3 record in 2007 (last season).

Please compare and re-review.

I am not necessarily saying that I want Brett here starting but he would surely be a better option than JP as a backup.

gr8slayer
07-15-2008, 11:52 PM
I can see it now, he comes to Buffalo, has a typical Buffalo QB year and the nation blames it on our sorry ass organization.

Mitchy moo
07-16-2008, 12:03 AM
I can see it now, he comes to Buffalo, has a typical Buffalo QB year and the nation blames it on our sorry ass organization.

Or we might make the playoffs and not get embarrassed for the 9th year in row.

Historian
07-16-2008, 04:55 AM

Sure it has:

Phil Villapiano
James Lofton
Pat Toomay
Doug Flutie
Conrad Dobler

Why not?

Jan Reimers
07-16-2008, 05:16 AM
Sure it has:

Phil Villapiano
James Lofton
Pat Toomay
Doug Flutie
Conrad Dobler

Why not?
I was thinking more recently of Eddie Robinson, Lawyer Milloy, Troy Vincent and Drew Bledsoe.

Mitchy moo
07-16-2008, 08:12 AM
I was thinking more recently of Eddie Robinson, Lawyer Milloy, Troy Vincent and Drew Bledsoe.

Look at history, not at snapshots of problems.

yordad
07-16-2008, 08:15 AM
dear yordad i don't know why you have a problem with all my posts but, the poll was should we trade jp for favre... and according to my post, it seems to be a good trade to the bills.You have a valid point. And, I don't know why you feel like I have a problem with ALL your post. Well, maybe I do, I just don't remember. I can say I don't look at your name and immediately think your post is bad, because I thought you were a good poster.

My point is, in deciding to trade for Farve, your going to want to compare him to our starter. The same poeple that wanted to trade Losman because he could disrupt the locker room, are the same people wanting to trade for Farve.

Plus I was buzzed.

yordad
07-16-2008, 08:25 AM
Drew Bledsoe personal accomplishment's before trades- 0

Brett Farve's- Most yards ever in the NFL, SB champion and lead team to 13-3 record in 2007 (last season).

Please compare and re-review.

I am not necessarily saying that I want Brett here starting but he would surely be a better option than JP as a backup.At 4 times the cost.

The Jokeman
07-16-2008, 08:43 AM
Hell yes I would do it. As I think the Bills only have a small window to either become playoff contenders or playoff pretenders and feel Favre could definitely put us over the top the top. As guys like Schobel and Stroud are in their 30s so they're on limited time. Guys like Crowell and Evans are on limited contracts. Not to mention Jauron only has a year or two more to prove himself. So I say reach for the stars when have the chance. As while I have good feelings about Trent Edwards I worry about the rest of the team by the time he's ready to turn the corner.

Bill Cody
07-16-2008, 09:42 AM

They wouldn't. In fact they wouldn't take JP ahead of Brohm. They wouldn't sign JP if he were released never mind take him as compensation.

Bill Cody
07-16-2008, 09:47 AM
Hell yes I would do it. As I think the Bills only have a small window to either become playoff contenders or playoff pretenders and feel Favre could definitely put us over the top the top. As guys like Schobel and Stroud are in their 30s so they're on limited time. Guys like Crowell and Evans are on limited contracts. Not to mention Jauron only has a year or two more to prove himself. So I say reach for the stars when have the chance. As while I have good feelings about Trent Edwards I worry about the rest of the team by the time he's ready to turn the corner.

Overall we have one of the youngest teams in the NFL but not every single player is going to be young. We're building something. You don't build using stale glue. Favre is not a fit here.

yordad
07-16-2008, 12:29 PM
The only reason I would want Farve on our roster is for another offensive mind. I think we have players of his talent, but younger.

But, maybe he could convince Jauron to open things up some if he was on the field.