PDA

View Full Version : Should Omon become our FB?

mysticsoto
07-15-2008, 07:32 AM
Omon as a FB?

That said, Omon could conceivably beat out the little-used Dwayne Wright for that third spot. At this point, the second-year man has to worry more about holding his ground rather than moving ahead. Not helping Wright is the fact Omon possesses a similar physique and technique. At 5-foot-11 and 227 pounds, Omon is built like a snowplow with legs; he established a reputation for running through college opponents instead of around them.

But it’s unlikely he’ll bludgeon opponents with the same ease on the NFL level. While he might have been able to get away with functioning as a backfield wrecking ball in the collegiate equivalent of the Canadian Football League, it’s difficult for single-dimension pro running backs to excel; his lack of speed could figuratively and literally keep him from accelerating as a tailback.

That’s why Omon might be better clearing space for the man who gets the handoff rather than getting the handoff himself. Converting Omon to fullback would be a smart way to make use of the 179th overall pick’s natural talents as a collision devotee, even if he would have to beat out two players Buffalo has added to compete for the spot.

For one, free agent Darian Barnes was brought aboard specifically to serve as a fullback; that, coupled with his six seasons of experience, could make him tough to unseat. On the other hand, Omon might have an easier time surpassing Jonathan Evans, a practice squad member for the Bills since the midst of last season: Evans has yet to play in a game in his three seasons over four franchises, and he’d have to thoroughly impress coaches to get his first real taste of pro ball in a Bills uniform.

It would likely come down to Omon having to unseat the veteran, and the rookie’s greatest advantage is that he’d present the offense with an option for sneakiness. Barnes has had a total of five carries and 14 receptions in his NFL career; while Barnes' upside is that he's a pure fullback, the Omon argument states that his background as a successful rusher means that he could offer versatility as a blocker who could deviously also get an occasional carry.

http://www.realfootball365.com/index.php/articles/bills/12016

hydro
07-15-2008, 07:35 AM
He would be a hell of a running threat there too. As long as he shows he could block this wouldn't be a bad idea at all.

Jan Reimers
07-15-2008, 07:41 AM
It might not be a bad idea to keep him as our 3rd or 4th RB (depending on Wright's progress) AND backup FB. Of course, the whole FB thing depends on Omon's ability - and willingness - to be a smash mouth blocker, as that is apparently what we're looking for our FB to be.

mybills
07-15-2008, 08:21 AM
I should stay out of the spin zone..I saw Obama's name in the title. :ill:

Can he block? I haven't seen any footage on him.

bigbub2352
07-15-2008, 09:00 AM
I hate to say it, but i am not in favor of the current Fbs on the roster Evans was with 3teams, and Barnes is a journeyman

Omon would be a very athletic and fast FB as there standards go, the problem is has he ever lead blocked before

Should be something he could pick up quickly
plus he can catch the ball out of the backfeild which would be a nice weapon to have

justasportsfan
07-15-2008, 09:03 AM
ST

DraftBoy
07-15-2008, 09:04 AM
He was a solid pass protection blocker for NW Mizzou State in college, but that was DII ball. Im not at all opposed to this, I think he could be a good FB, but Im not sure he'll be a smash mouth blocker ever.

PECKERWOOD
07-15-2008, 09:58 AM
Kind of small for a FB doncha think? He definately needs to add like 20-25lbs of solid muscle in order to become a better blocker, most LBer's have a decent weight advantage on him.

DraftBoy
07-15-2008, 10:00 AM
Kind of small for a FB doncha think? He definately needs to add like 20-25lbs of solid muscle in order to become a better blocker, most LBer's have a decent weight advantage on him.

His small stature can be used as an advantage as he can get lower on bigger defensive players, he's trying to block.

Oaf
07-15-2008, 10:07 AM
R365 just saw we had an extra RB, that he was over 225 lbs, and that he wasn't extremely fast and made an article about it. :cynic:

I'm still entirely appalled that we didn't draft a fullback. I'm sure Cox will be a solid addition as a 7th corner. Or we could have just drafted a FB instead of drafting an RB and trying to switch him into an FB.

Omon won't be a FB. From what I saw of him, he is much more of a complete back than R365 gave him credit for. He'll beat out Wright and will get snaps if Jackson regresses from last year, which even though I love Jackson, is possible because of his limited experience.

justasportsfan
07-15-2008, 10:13 AM
Omon won't be a FB. From what I saw of him, he is much more of a complete back than R365 gave him credit for. He'll beat out Wright and will get snaps if Jackson regresses from last year, which even though I love Jackson, is possible because of his limited experience.
Omon has lesser experience than Jackson.

PECKERWOOD
07-15-2008, 10:31 AM
His small stature can be used as an advantage as he can get lower on bigger defensive players, he's trying to block.

I understand that being shorter may give you an advantage when it comes to getting lower and trying to get leverage, that's not what I'm saying.. 227lbs is awfully small for a FB.. This guy is going to need to block LB's that are 250+ lbs, he needs more weight, specifically more leg power to help him drive defenders. Can you imagine him trying to block guys like Adalius Thomas?? He will get knocked all over.

DraftBoy
07-15-2008, 10:40 AM
I understand that being shorter may give you an advantage when it comes to getting lower and trying to get leverage, that's not what I'm saying.. 227lbs is awfully small for a FB.. This guy is going to need to block LB's that are 250+ lbs, he needs more weight, specifically more leg power to help him drive defenders. Can you imagine him trying to block guys like Adalius Thomas?? He will get knocked all over.

While yes he would need to put on between 10-15 pounds ideally, if you look at his build, his legs are already incredibly strong and thick so while he'd need to add some bulk, he is I think strong enough to do the job at this point.

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/sioncampus/12/10/deans.list/p1_Omon.jpg

acehole
07-15-2008, 11:01 AM

Not entirly true.

All he has to do is disrupt enough to get the runner by.

Somtimes just chipping a deffender can be enough to spring a runner.

If he is a step quicker then those 250 lb guys that would also help.

Not all full backs are called to "Bull" or run over thier targets.

Anyway get low enough and you can block a 300 lb guy....ie see denvers zone blocking Oline men...all smallish.

PECKERWOOD
07-15-2008, 11:22 AM
Not entirly true.

All he has to do is disrupt enough to get the runner by.

Somtimes just chipping a deffender can be enough to spring a runner.

If he is a step quicker then those 250 lb guys that would also help.

Not all full backs are called to "Bull" or run over thier targets.

Anyway get low enough and you can block a 300 lb guy....ie see denvers zone blocking Oline men...all smallish.

I don't want a FB who has to rely on chip blocking all the time, I want somebody who can destroy LBs and help Marshawn punish them throughout the game. Plus, it's already been noted that Omon has a physical style of play, so if he plans on being physical and punishing people, he needs to get bigger.

PECKERWOOD
07-15-2008, 11:30 AM
This is what a physical FB really looks like:

Height: 5-11 Weight: 260
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0bPT6HKf1mbbT/610x.jpg

Height: 5-11 Weight: 255
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0a8wdN7fGp0MN/610x.jpg

Height: 6-0 Weight: 253
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0eHpgl9a1J7PW/340x.jpg

DraftBoy
07-15-2008, 11:34 AM
Sam Gash 6'0, 242
Larry Center 6'0 225

PECKERWOOD
07-15-2008, 11:41 AM
Sam Gash 6'0, 242
Larry Center 6'0 225

242lbs is in the right ballpark but honestly, how many Larry Centers do you see running around in the NFL today at 225? You can say that having less weight will help you get low but alot of these guys weigh 250lbs and can still get low because they're absolute freaks.

mysticsoto
07-15-2008, 12:21 PM
He's 225 lbs coming out of college. It is very feasible that if he wanted to, he can put on some more weight on his frame. If he already has the plow-driving legs, as the article says, then he can work on putting muscle to his upper body and gain weight to better serve his role. In fact, buffalobills.com has him listed as 227 lbs. Clearly he's already started. ;)

PECKERWOOD
07-15-2008, 12:32 PM
He's 225 lbs coming out of college. It is very feasible that if he wanted to, he can put on some more weight on his frame. If he already has the plow-driving legs, as the article says, then he can work on putting muscle to his upper body and gain weight to better serve his role. In fact, buffalobills.com has him listed as 227 lbs. Clearly he's already started. ;)

So this pretty much backs up everything I said, so no problems here.

ParanoidAndroid
07-15-2008, 12:43 PM
Centers didn't make a living as a road grader, he was perhaps the best receiving FB the game has seen. Omon is neither of those. If the NFLE was still going, he'd be a great candidate to spend a year or two there.

mysticsoto
07-15-2008, 01:39 PM
I think one of the important things will be, does he think he has enough speed to make it as a RB somewhere. While we may be loaded at the spot, there are teams that could sure use him (if he shows atleast decent speed and ability to play at this level) and there is definitely more money and allure at RB than at FB.

The Answer
07-15-2008, 01:44 PM
I still think that when it's all said and done that The Shoumanator is going to be our FB/TE who will double as a bruising blocker and pass catcher.

~The Answer

yordad
07-15-2008, 11:16 PM
A versatile FB would be ideal. It would be like a two half back offense with Omon back there. Like Oaf said, he is much more complete then this site led on.

acehole
07-16-2008, 08:29 AM
So this pretty much backs up everything I said, so no problems here.

Yea that guy we cut is about the size you say we needed.

A matter of skill and leverage...not necessarily pounds.

We shall see.

OpIv37
07-16-2008, 08:58 AM
he obviously has the ability to carry the ball so if he could be a FB, we'd have an excellent two back set for short yardage situations that would keep D's guessing.

Of course, he is a little small for a road grater fullback and he's used to a much lower level of competition, so it's a long shot. But given the lack of FB's on this roster, there's no reason why we shouldn't give him a try.

BTW remember he is right out of college- he'll probably add another 15 lbs of muscle over the next year or two.

PECKERWOOD
07-16-2008, 11:12 AM
Yea that guy we cut is about the size you say we needed.

A matter of skill and leverage...not necessarily pounds.

We shall see.

So what? Just because somebody weighs a certain amount doesn't mean that they can play football which is the most important thing, the next important thing is conditioning, why are you fighting me to death on this one? I just don't know too many physical road grading FB's that weigh 227lbs, sorry. Mystic already pointed out that Omon is putting on the lbs, why would he feel the need to do that if he could get the job done at 225lbs? Hrmmm.

acehole
07-16-2008, 11:58 AM
So what? Just because somebody weighs a certain amount doesn't mean that they can play football which is the most important thing, the next important thing is conditioning, why are you fighting me to death on this one? I just don't know too many physical road grading FB's that weigh 227lbs, sorry. Mystic already pointed out that Omon is putting on the lbs, why would he feel the need to do that if he could get the job done at 225lbs? Hrmmm.

You are making my point....can he play ball or not can he block or not.

Wieght is not the be all end all..

Half of the wieghts you see listed are false anyhow.

Most NFL players put on wieght from school.....one has not to
do with the other necessarily.

Just making the overall piont that you don't have to be
250lb to block a 250 lb guy....if you know what you are doing.

PECKERWOOD
07-16-2008, 12:00 PM
You are making my point....can he play ball or not can he block or not.

Wieght is not the be all end all..

Half of the wieghts you see listed are false anyhow.

Most NFL players put on wieght from school.....one has not to
do with the other necessarily.

Just making the overall piont that you don't have to be
250lb to block a 250 lb guy....if you know what you are doing.

Well, duh. Tell me acehole what happens when you have two people who know how to play? One is a LB and he weighs 250lbs and one is a FB and he weighs 227lbs, who has the edge?

PECKERWOOD
07-16-2008, 12:21 PM
I understand weight isn't everything but there are some big mofo's in our division that can really play football. Do you really feel comfortable having Omon(227lbs) go up against Adalius Thomas (270lbs), Mike Vrabel (260lbs), Bruschi (250lbs), Mayo (240lbs NE's smallest starting LB. )...... or how about Vernon Gholston(263lbs), Calvin Pace(270lbs), David Harris(243lbs their smallest starter at LB.), Eric Barton(245lbs) or maybe... Joey Porter(255lbs), Reggie Torbor(255lbs), Channing Crowder(250lbs), Jason Taylor(255lbs)

acehole
07-16-2008, 09:19 PM
Well, duh. Tell me acehole what happens when you have two people who know how to play? One is a LB and he weighs 250lbs and one is a FB and he weighs 227lbs, who has the edge?

Forget it dude.

What happens when you have a 250 fullback who can't play and a 227lb one who can?

Whatever great post.

Ingtar33
07-17-2008, 04:35 AM
this writer never saw omon play.

he's shifty and elusive... not a "snowplow with legs"

TigerJ
07-17-2008, 10:39 PM
It might not be a bad idea to keep him as our 3rd or 4th RB (depending on Wright's progress) AND backup FB. Of course, the whole FB thing depends on Omon's ability - and willingness - to be a smash mouth blocker, as that is apparently what we're looking for our FB to be.

This makes the most sense to me.