PDA

View Full Version : Don't Sleep on Wright

Romes
07-16-2008, 09:59 AM
<table border="0" bordercolor="#09347b" width="80%" cellpadding="10" align="center">

<tr>
<td colspan="2" class="mediumrow" style="border: 1px solid #548bb5;">
<table width=85% style="border-bottom: 1px solid #002D78;"><tr><td align=left><div class="postdate">Today</div></td>
<td align="right" ><div class="postblue">Posted By: <b>Chris Brown</b> | Time: 9:49 AM ET | <span class="storytext" style="font-size: 12px;"><a href="/blog/index.jsp?post_id=3643">Link</a><br></span></div></td>
</tr></table>
<span class="postblue">

<P><STRONG>DON'T SLEEP ON WRIGHT: </STRONG>While there are always sleepers that emerge in training camp, I really feel like Dwayne Wright is a forgotten man this summer. With Marshawn Lynch having a big rookie year in '07 and Fred Jackson emerging last year as well, Wright got lost in the shuffle.</P>
<P>And to hear people believing that Omon will put Wright's job in jeopardy is crazy talk as I see it. Unless Omon is unbelievable in camp, I think Wright is on this roster and may even find a way to get on the field offensively this season. </P>
<P>He's more of a multi-dimensional back than some give him credit for and I thought he looked faster through the hole and stronger this spring. Talking to him this spring he's ready to bust out and really show his whole game. </P>
<P>If he gets that opportunity in the preseason I think he'll show he not only deserves a spot on the roster, but also some snaps on offense here and there. </P>
<P>I don't mean to dismiss Omon. He's an intriguing talent with an uncanny nose for the end zone inside the 20, but I just believe that Wright will show up this summer and make more of an impression than some might expect.</P>
<P>Not saying he's going to unseat Lynch or Jackson, just saying he'll be one of the better third-stringers in the league at RB.</P>
</span>

---
</td>
</tr>
</table>

DraftBoy
07-16-2008, 10:01 AM
I dont see it from Wright, I guess we'll be able to tell in camp but nothing in his past play dictates that this will occur.

OpIv37
07-16-2008, 10:05 AM
I could have sworn people said the same thing about Wright last year only to see him totally outplayed by Jackson.

Saratoga Slim
07-16-2008, 10:37 AM
Wright was a rookie last year that really didn't get a lot of touches (as opposed to Lynch who was also a rookie but did get a lot of touches). At this point I'm not sure what to make of him--I think his lack of playing time was more a reflection of us having two veterans (Thomas & Jackson) ahead of him, than a statement about his ability.

Hopefully he can get a chance to establish himself a bit more this year, as we're probably paying him more than Omon, and if one of the two is to stick around, you'd hope it's the guy we spent a 4th rounder on as opposed to a late round flyer.

yordad
07-16-2008, 10:45 AM
If I remember correctly, they said last year he was much faster and hit the hole harder then they thought he was going to.

Also, Omon could make the roster even if Wright does.

mysticsoto
07-16-2008, 11:04 AM
If I remember correctly, they said last year he was much faster and hit the hole harder then they thought he was going to.

Also, Omon could make the roster even if Wright does.

Omon and Wright are so similar that perhaps they can both take turns at being RB/FB hybrids that play FB most of the time, but RB occasionally to throw defenses off...

Mitchy moo
07-16-2008, 11:11 AM
I hope we utilize all our talent available so we can keep our team healthy for a strong run.

PECKERWOOD
07-16-2008, 11:17 AM
I don't think Wright has enough speed to make a big impact.

mysticsoto
07-16-2008, 11:30 AM
I don't think Wright has enough speed to make a big impact.

At this point, I don't know that it is certain who has more speed between Wright and Omon.

Pride
07-16-2008, 11:33 AM
Talking about the battle for 3rd string RB must mean we have some pretty good RB's in the 1 and 2 slot.

Not a bad problem to have!

gr8slayer
07-16-2008, 11:35 AM
Wright is yet another wasted pick.

The Spaz
07-16-2008, 11:36 AM
Whoever the back or backups we will have good depth at RB.

mysticsoto
07-16-2008, 11:37 AM
Wright is yet another wasted pick.

That's not for certain by any means. If Omon can't beat out Wright, he may become a wasted pick - unless he can make it as a FB which we don't even know if he wants to...

It is still WAY too early for any of this...

gr8slayer
07-16-2008, 11:41 AM
That's not for certain by any means. If Omon can't beat out Wright, he may become a wasted pick - unless he can make it as a FB which we don't even know if he wants to...

Either way I wasn't a fan of the pick from the start. We had far more pressing needs than an RB who couldn't stay healthy in college.

DraftBoy
07-16-2008, 11:43 AM

It was a very questionable pick at the time, and given the fact that Wright was bad in his few shows in the NFL games and was in the dog house last years, more signs point to bad pick than they do to potential or hope.

PECKERWOOD
07-16-2008, 11:45 AM
At this point, I don't know that it is certain who has more speed between Wright and Omon.

I never compared Wright to Omon, I'm going from what I saw from Wright last year, he looked slow.

mysticsoto
07-16-2008, 12:10 PM
It was a very questionable pick at the time, and given the fact that Wright was bad in his few shows in the NFL games and was in the dog house last years, more signs point to bad pick than they do to potential or hope.

Wright was about as much a questionable pick as Omon was. So there's no difference there. And there are some differences that might lean toward Wright. He's probably the better receiver between the two and Omon is also from a DII conference. Wright also has 1 year in the pros, and should be ahead of Omon in many areas b'cse of that.

I'm not really pulling for one or the other. I don't care. I'm just saying that it is really up in the air right now which one will end up on the team and which one may leave and certainly WAY too early to call either a bust or a waste.

gr8slayer
07-16-2008, 12:11 PM
Wright was about as much a questionable pick as Omon was. So there's no difference there. And there are some differences that might lean toward Wright. He's probably the better receiver between the two and Omon is also from a DII conference. Wright also has 1 year in the pros, and should be ahead of Omon in many areas b'cse of that.

I'm not really pulling for one or the other. I don't care. I'm just saying that it is really up in the air right now which one will end up on the team and which one may leave and certainly WAY too early to call either a bust or a waste.
Except Omon was drafted in round six. I'm against taking 'chances' on players before round five myself.

yordad
07-16-2008, 12:14 PM
Omon and Wright are so similar that perhaps they can both take turns at being RB/FB hybrids that play FB most of the time, but RB occasionally to throw defenses off...I think that would be ideal. I don't think the 11th offensive position should be a waste of space.

justasportsfan
07-16-2008, 12:26 PM
Omon and Wright are so similar that perhaps they can both take turns at being RB/FB hybrids that play FB most of the time, but RB occasionally to throw defenses off...
I thought Wright and Lynch were similar type of runners who would smash into players which is why he was lost behind Lynch while Jackson was a totally different type of runner. Shiftier .

IMO OMon will be behind Wright and nothing more than an ST player.

mayotm
07-16-2008, 12:27 PM
Wright is yet another wasted pick.Yet another wasted post by you.

gr8slayer
07-16-2008, 12:30 PM
Yet another wasted post by you.
:yawn:

DraftBoy
07-16-2008, 12:31 PM

I disagree with you and by simply looking at their collegiate performances I can tell you why. You have a proven collegiate performer in Omon who played 13+ games every year in school and finished his career with 7073 total rushing yards. Wright played 4 total years but missed almost two entire years with a torn patellar tendon.

Omon is bigger, runs a better timed 40, and has been far more productive in his career. Wright's one year in the pros was a nightmare. Omon was the 2nd best small school running back in the country and imo could be a steal in Round 6. Wright was a bad reach on a guy who probably shouldn't of been picked till Round 7.

mysticsoto
07-16-2008, 12:31 PM
I thought Wright and Lynch were similar type of runners who would smash into players which is why he was lost behind Lynch while Jackson was a totally different type of runner. Shiftier .

IMO OMon will be behind Wright and nothing more than an ST player.

I don't consider Lynch and Wright similar at all. Lynch is faster, shiftier...and all around multi-dimensional. Wright may have catching skills, but he is slower and much less shifty and much prefers (like Omon) to run over people. Lynch doesn't really run over people. He's just hard to bring down. There's a difference.

mysticsoto
07-16-2008, 12:38 PM
I disagree with you and by simply looking at their collegiate performances I can tell you why. You have a proven collegiate performer in Omon who played 13+ games every year in school and finished his career with 7073 total rushing yards. Wright played 4 total years but missed almost two entire years with a torn patellar tendon.

Omon is bigger, runs a better timed 40, and has been far more productive in his career. Wright's one year in the pros was a nightmare. Omon was the 2nd best small school running back in the country and imo could be a steal in Round 6. Wright was a bad reach on a guy who probably shouldn't of been picked till Round 7.

Their collegiate performances are apples to oranges. In DII Omon looked fantastic. We have yet to see what he will look like against top competition. Wright had a bad year last year - but saying it was a "nightmare" is being a bit melodramatic. 3rd string backs don't get much play time and yes, when he did, he screwed up (like the fumble he did) but all in all, playing time shouldn't be used against him as most 3rd string backs don't get to play during a season unless there are injuries to the starter and/or 2nd string back.

As to size, they are both listed as the same height and virtually the same weight. Wright is 228 lbs and Omon 227 lbs. Speed...like I said, I need to see Omon. I doubt the 40 times are far apart and even so...how does that translate to their play time is really what's important.

It sounds like I'm defending Wright, but I really am not. What I am defending is the idea that Omon is so much better than Wright. I think they are nearly identical. I suppose the 1st few preseason games will be needed to determine any differences between them.

gr8slayer
07-16-2008, 12:40 PM
Their collegiate performances are apples to oranges. In DII Omon looked fantastic. We have yet to see what he will look like against top competition. Wright had a bad year last year - but saying it was a "nightmare" is being a bit melodramatic. 3rd string backs don't get much play time and yes, when he did, he screwed up (like the fumble he did) but all in all, playing time shouldn't be used against him as most 3rd string backs don't get to play during a season unless there are injuries to the starter and/or 2nd string back.

As to size, they are both listed as the same height and virtually the same weight. Wright is 228 lbs and Omon 227 lbs. Speed...like I said, I need to see Omon. I doubt the 40 times are far apart and even so...how does that translate to their play time is really what's important.

It sounds like I'm defending Wright, but I really am not. What I am defending is the idea that Omon is so much better than Wright. I think they are nearly identical. I suppose the 1st few preseason games will be needed to determine any differences between them.
I've only seen one game that Omon played in, I can tell you one thing for sure, he runs lower than Wright does.

DraftBoy
07-16-2008, 12:45 PM

I dont think we can discredit collegiate performances as easily as you do, since it is all we have to go off of so far, given Wrights pitiful pro performance last year. Whether Omon did his job in FBS, FCS, DII, or DIII I think that it doesn't matter. Its not like there was 32 guys who rushed for over 2000 yards last year, there were only 3 and there were also 3 in FBS too.

I dont think calling Wright's first year a nightmare is being melodramatic at all, he couldn't hold onto the ball and spent the majority of the year in his coaches dog house for poor play. That's pretty bad...

Size wise you are correct, I wasn't aware that Wright had added some weight to his frame. Speed wise I think Omon is faster, in the tape Ive watched the guy has an extra gear to him and he's very quick in his cuts. I dont see that from Wright.

I understand your point about Wright, but I dont think he is better than Omon at this point and I think Omon will be the better player.

DraftBoy
07-16-2008, 12:46 PM
I've only seen one game that Omon played in, I can tell you one thing for sure, he runs lower than Wright does.

Which game did you see?

mysticsoto
07-16-2008, 01:39 PM
I dont think we can discredit collegiate performances as easily as you do, since it is all we have to go off of so far, given Wrights pitiful pro performance last year. Whether Omon did his job in FBS, FCS, DII, or DIII I think that it doesn't matter. Its not like there was 32 guys who rushed for over 2000 yards last year, there were only 3 and there were also 3 in FBS too.

I dont think calling Wright's first year a nightmare is being melodramatic at all, he couldn't hold onto the ball and spent the majority of the year in his coaches dog house for poor play. That's pretty bad...

Size wise you are correct, I wasn't aware that Wright had added some weight to his frame. Speed wise I think Omon is faster, in the tape Ive watched the guy has an extra gear to him and he's very quick in his cuts. I dont see that from Wright.

I understand your point about Wright, but I dont think he is better than Omon at this point and I think Omon will be the better player.

Curiousitywise...I looked up their 40s:

Dwayne Wright - 4.66
Xavier Omon - 4.59

As I expected, pretty close. I looked at Scott Wright's site (yes, I know you don't usually like his analysis on players) and here's what it showed for his negatives...virtually - the same negatives Wright has shown - even down to the ball security issue. As I said, they seem almost like identical twins. If he distinguishes himself in TC and Preseason, great - but for now, I have them in my mind as identical:

Does not have great timed speed...Not very quick or explosive...Isn't very elusive and doesn't have much wiggle...Not a big play threat...Won't get outside and turn the corner at the next level...Ball security is an issue...Really has a ton of mileage on his tires and durability may be a concern...Did not play against top competition.

DraftBoy
07-16-2008, 01:45 PM
You should NFL Draft Scout for 40 times, much better site...

Omon-Low of 4.46, avg of 4.52, Hi of 4.66
Wright-Low of 4.58, avg of 4.66, and Hi of 4.71

To me thats a significant difference speed wise. I can't change your mind on this but I dont see Omon and Wright as identical type backs at this point.

Dr. Lecter
07-16-2008, 01:50 PM
For backs with the running style of Wright and Omon, are 40 times all that important?

Isn't quickness and ten yard times more significant?

Mr. Pink
07-16-2008, 01:53 PM
Wright doesn't deserve a roster spot this season.

Like DB said he was a reach.

His on the field play doesn't warrant him taking up a roster spot this season.

I'd much rather go with Omon at the number 3 RB spot than a guy who looked completely overmatched and lost.

trapezeus
07-16-2008, 02:03 PM
i'll make it simple. when we're getting blown out by the pats, who is going to fumble the ball backwards faster and further. That guy should be our 3rd RB.

:-)

mysticsoto
07-16-2008, 02:24 PM
You should NFL Draft Scout for 40 times, much better site...

Omon-Low of 4.46, avg of 4.52, Hi of 4.66
Wright-Low of 4.58, avg of 4.66, and Hi of 4.71

To me thats a significant difference speed wise. I can't change your mind on this but I dont see Omon and Wright as identical type backs at this point.

If he is indeed 4.52, and can translate that onto the field, then that is more significant. I will wait to see him in action before I render judgment.

patmoran2006
07-16-2008, 02:44 PM
I stopped paying attention to pre-draft 40-yard times about 15 years ago when I found out how crappy Jerry Rice's time was. For the most part I stopped paying attention to what scouts and experts say pre-draft when I heard that Tony Mandrich and Robert Gallery were going to be the best two OL in the history of the league. Mandrich had linebacker speed and could bench press a billion pounds. Gallery was more athletic than a tight end and this and that, blahblahblah.

I remember in high school a transfer kid walked onto the field about midway through our season for tryout. In t-shirt and shorts, he was the fastest kid I'd ever seen in my life. I was like "holy ****, this guy is the best player on the team immediately. There is the star wide receiever we need" He LOOKED great.. the next day he was back with full equipment and was working as a WR with the first team right away. He would've been a good WR except there were three small problems; he had rock hands, he couldn't run a route to save his life, and he blocked like a fairy.. Get my point? Numbers for prospects mean little, at least to me.

Anyway. I can't evaluate Omon because truthfully I'm not sure I've ever seen him carry a football once to this point.

I did watch Wright play as a rookie last year and I was extremely unimpressed. Having said that, he was a rookie.. Not just a rookie, but a 4th round rookie. It's bad enough (IMO) when people judge a player after one year when the guy is a highly touted rookie. it's another when the guy is a mid or late round pick. Wright was picked in the 4th round because he's considered a project. I don't know who expected the second coming of Earl Campbell as a rookie. I expect him to play better this year.

I don't think it's going to matter a whole bunch, because Lynch is going to be a Pro Bowl RB, and Fred Jackson is an outstanding backup.

DraftBoy
07-16-2008, 02:56 PM
I stopped paying attention to pre-draft 40-yard times about 15 years ago when I found out how crappy Jerry Rice's time was. For the most part I stopped paying attention to what scouts and experts say pre-draft when I heard that Tony Mandrich and Robert Gallery were going to be the best two OL in the history of the league. Mandrich had linebacker speed and could bench press a billion pounds. Gallery was more athletic than a tight end and this and that, blahblahblah.

I remember in high school a transfer kid walked onto the field about midway through our season for tryout. In t-shirt and shorts, he was the fastest kid I'd ever seen in my life. I was like "holy ****, this guy is the best player on the team immediately. There is the star wide receiever we need" He LOOKED great.. the next day he was back with full equipment and was working as a WR with the first team right away. He would've been a good WR except there were three small problems; he had rock hands, he couldn't run a route to save his life, and he blocked like a fairy.. Get my point? Numbers for prospects mean little, at least to me.

Anyway. I can't evaluate Omon because truthfully I'm not sure I've ever seen him carry a football once to this point.

I did watch Wright play as a rookie last year and I was extremely unimpressed. Having said that, he was a rookie.. Not just a rookie, but a 4th round rookie. It's bad enough (IMO) when people judge a player after one year when the guy is a highly touted rookie. it's another when the guy is a mid or late round pick. Wright was picked in the 4th round because he's considered a project. I don't know who expected the second coming of Earl Campbell as a rookie. I expect him to play better this year.

I don't think it's going to matter a whole bunch, because Lynch is going to be a Pro Bowl RB, and Fred Jackson is an outstanding backup.

I think your ability to provide two examples of busts is far outweighed by guys who have been deemed special because of their numbers and have succeeded. Some do it despite that, some dont do it at all. It pretty much evens out though overall, which is why you take other things into account, like injury history, game performance, criminal past, psych evals, IQ tests, stuff like that.

I do like your overdramatics of Dwayne Wright though, because I know for one, I saw the pick and immediately said "Yep, thats the next Earl Campbell, ladies and gentleman right there...". Nobody expected that so your over sensationalism of the criticism here is way off base. Secondly if you are a 4th round pick I expect you to contribute, not be a project pick. We shouldn't be picking project guys in Round 4, if thats the case then something is seriously wrong with the FO mentality. At the very least they should be contributing on ST, but as far as my understanding goes Wright was doing that only sparingly because he spent most of the year in Jauron's dog house.

I do though enjoy you telling people they can't judge Wright after one year, but you're more than happy to say Lynch is a pro bowler after only one year...

Dr. Lecter
07-16-2008, 02:59 PM
4th rounders are often projects.

I really don't know how many 4th rounders provide immediate impact. Hell, even 3rd round picks are not always immediate impact guys. Look at Crowell. He was inactive most of his rookie season.

And, again I ask, if a guy is a power back how important is 40 time?

It is the most over-used and over-hyped measurable used on players.

The Spaz
07-16-2008, 03:00 PM
Draft Boy gets upset constantly when anyone questions his draft analysis it's funny and pathetic as hell.

DraftBoy
07-16-2008, 03:01 PM
4th rounders are often projects.

I really don't know how many 4th rounders provide immediate impact. Hell, even 3rd round picks are not always immediate impact guys. Look at Crowell. He was inactive most of his rookie season.

And, again I ask, if a guy is a power back how important is 40 time?

It is the most over-used and over-hyped measurable used on players.

Power back or not he has to be able to hit the hole fast and get to the 2nd level? For everybody who way overhypes the 40 there is another person who decides to throw it over for no good reason and their evals suffer for it. Being fast isn't everything but you must have a certain amount of speed to run the ball in the NFL.

DraftBoy
07-16-2008, 03:03 PM
Draft Boy gets upset constantly when anyone questions his draft analysis it's funny and pathetic as hell.

My name is one word not two, and whats pathetic is people who buy what Chris Brown reports or what our FO says as the gospel, with little to no side research or effort put in and then act like everybody else is wrong because it would shatter their fragile egos of ignorance.

Dr. Lecter
07-16-2008, 03:03 PM
Power back or not he has to be able to hit the hole fast and get to the 2nd level? For everybody who way overhypes the 40 there is another person who decides to throw it over for no good reason and their evals suffer for it. Being fast isn't everything but you must have a certain amount of speed to run the ball in the NFL.

I understand he has to hit the hole fast, but unless he lines up way deep in the backfield, 40 time does not tell us how fast or hard he hits the hole or how quickly he can find it.

Those are two separate arguments. He is not a home run guy, that much we can determine but that does not stop him from being effective (potentially)

mysticsoto
07-16-2008, 03:05 PM

But nobody questioned his analysis. He's down on Wright just like many others here. And nobody is listening to Lecter. And though he may be used to that :D I think it is rather important that power runners don't need 40 times as high since that is usually not their game. That being said, if Omon is indeed 4.52, that's pretty good for a power runner and maybe it should be Wright to move to FB.

But all this is so preliminary...I need to see them in TC before I can start making some of the judgments that some people are making around here...

justasportsfan
07-16-2008, 03:05 PM
I understand he has to hit the hole fast, but unless he lines up way deep in the backfield, 40 time does not tell us how fast or hard he hits the hole or how quickly he can find it.

are we talking about Willis and Henry?

gr8slayer
07-16-2008, 03:06 PM
Football speed > 40 speed

Watch some film on Omon, he has a fair share of runs where he's pulling away from DB's and looks like the fastest person on the field.

gr8slayer
07-16-2008, 03:09 PM
are we talking about Willis and Henry?
The only hole that they hit hard is.......... never mind.

The Spaz
07-16-2008, 03:12 PM
My name is one word not two, and whats pathetic is people who buy what Chris Brown reports or what our FO says as the gospel, with little to no side research or effort put in and then act like everybody else is wrong because it would shatter their fragile egos of ignorance.

Whatever you say. Thing is I put just as much time into the draft as you but when someone questions me about things I am not an ******* about it like you. Got it Mrs. Draft Boy!

Dr. Lecter
07-16-2008, 03:13 PM
OK, let's cut down on name calling and smack talk people.

gr8slayer
07-16-2008, 03:16 PM
Whatever you say. Thing is I put just as much time into the draft as you but when someone questions me about things I am not an ******* about it like you. Got it Mrs. Draft Boy!
:lol:

DraftBoy
07-16-2008, 03:17 PM

Those are two separate arguments. He is not a home run guy, that much we can determine but that does not stop him from being effective (potentially)

Why must you make me pull out my old notes for things like this, oh well...

Omon:
10 yd-1.57/1.54
20 yd-2.64/2.61

20 yd shuttle-4.29
3 Cone-6.71

-10 and 20 yd dashes are combine number first, then pro day number. He did not do a 20 yd shuttle or 3 Cone at the combine due to a knee tweak

Wright:
10 yd-1.62
20 yd-2.71
20 yd shuttle-4.43
3 Cone-7.26

-Wright did not run any of these at his Pro Day, he stuck with his combine number

As you can see the numbers again support my argument aside from the game tape, and those are the numbers you requested Lecter for a "Power Back"

gr8slayer
07-16-2008, 03:18 PM
Here's something that always lightens up the day:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RaYgGSHJ5hM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RaYgGSHJ5hM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

mysticsoto
07-16-2008, 03:18 PM

Agreed. We're talking about Wright vs Omon and anything relating to them. Not sure how this thread degraded into personal attacks from that.

In any case, I think Wright's high visibility fumble last year caused alot of people to hate him. Perhaps that coupled with the shock/surprise/disappointment of us drafting him...just got compounded. I don't want to judge the kid too harshly yet. I still remember seeing him level Jim Leonard in TC last year (yes, I know it was just tiny Leonard - but it was still impressive). Omon has alot of catching up to do to be able to unseat Wright. Perhaps he can do it. But I want to see it 1st. Coming from DII, his competition has been alot lower. How will he fare with the big boys? Some people seem to think he will do fine. I want to see it first...

DraftBoy
07-16-2008, 03:19 PM

Yea no you don't, in fact its really not even close, I can guarantee you that much and have about 50 guys on here who can back me up on that. Do you really want to know how long the guide alone took just to write, not do the scouting for, not compiling the numbers and stats, just the text entry itself. If you think watching 3-4 football games a Saturday is comparable to what Im doing, you're very mistaken.

gr8slayer
07-16-2008, 03:19 PM
Why must you make me pull out my old notes for things like this, oh well...

Omon:
10 yd-1.57/1.54
20 yd-2.64/2.61

20 yd shuttle-4.29
3 Cone-6.71

-10 and 20 yd dashes are combine number first, then pro day number. He did not do a 20 yd shuttle or 3 Cone at the combine due to a knee tweak

Wright:
10 yd-1.62
20 yd-2.71
20 yd shuttle-4.43
3 Cone-7.26

-Wright did not run any of these at his Pro Day, he stuck with his combine number

As you can see the numbers again support my argument aside from the game tape, and those are the numbers you requested Lecter for a "Power Back"
Either way, you and I both know that combine/pro-day numbers mean little-nothing in the grand scheme of things.

gr8slayer
07-16-2008, 03:21 PM
I put more time in than all you bastards! So kiss my ass! :couch:

Confused
I hate the term "nose for the endzone" It infuriates me for some reason.

DraftBoy

He's harmless, he doesn't like me or my opinion which is fair of him to hold that opinion, if he chooses to express it in that way, he's not going to bother me any. I just keep doing what Im doing and don't concern myself with haters.

gr8slayer
07-16-2008, 03:22 PM
Yea no you don't, in fact its really not even close, I can guarantee you that much and have about 50 guys on here who can back me up on that. Do you really want to know how long the guide alone took just to write, not do the scouting for, not compiling the numbers and stats, just the text entry itself. If you think watching 3-4 football games a Saturday is comparable to what Im doing, you're very mistaken.
I can vouch for the time you put in.

The Spaz
07-16-2008, 03:22 PM
:lol:

You laugh? That's what I do when my fiancee questions me about all of draft guides laying all over the house as well as college tapes in my spare room...lol. I respect what draftboy does on this site but he takes things a little to far when someone has a different opinion than his on the draft. I'm done with the rant.

DraftBoy
07-16-2008, 03:23 PM
Either way, you and I both know that combine/pro-day numbers mean little-nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Yes and No, like I said above for every guy that succeeds based on potential and measurables, there is another that doesn't, or a guy that does despite bad numbers and measurables in the end it all evens out.

Confused
07-16-2008, 03:23 PM
Here's something that always lightens up the day:
that fat guy looked like he got sprayed with liquid poop.

<OBJECT height=344 width=425>

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RaYgGSHJ5hM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></OBJECT></P>

Dr. Lecter
07-16-2008, 03:35 PM
I never really doubted the conclusions on Wright (although it is too early to say he is done), but the strong use a 40 time was driving me more insane than I already am.

mysticsoto
07-16-2008, 03:35 PM
You laugh? That's what I do when my fiancee questions me about all of draft guides laying all over the house as well as college tapes in my spare room...lol. I respect what draftboy does on this site but he takes things a little to far when someone has a different opinion than his on the draft. I'm done with the rant.
I can't agree with that. DB and I disagreed on many occasions when we made our 7 rd mock draft for the BZ guide this year and yet we found ways to compromise and convince each other of our arguments/position rather than get upset and rant at the other. I think he's very level headed even when one disagrees with his POV...

DraftBoy
07-16-2008, 03:43 PM
I can't agree with that. DB and I disagreed on many occasions when we made our 7 rd mock draft for the BZ guide this year and yet we found ways to compromise and convince each other of our arguments/position rather than get upset and rant at the other. I think he's very level headed even when one disagrees with his POV...

I don't want to even think about that beast till next March when we do it all over again, you in again?

gr8slayer
07-16-2008, 03:45 PM
I don't want to even think about that beast till next March when we do it all over again, you in again?
Call me if assistance is needed.

DraftBoy
07-16-2008, 03:46 PM
Call me if assistance is needed.

I got you, dont worry!

User Manuel
07-16-2008, 03:48 PM
Has anyone considered that Jackson might be a flash in the pan and that Omon and Wright are 2 and 3. It wouldn't be the first time it has happened.

Frankly I think with Wright's ability to play ther FB position if called upon that we can keep them all.

John Doe
07-16-2008, 04:21 PM
I think that it may be a tad too soon to write Wright off after 29 carries, and mostly sporadic carries at that.

He played in 10 games, and 12 of his carries came in just one of them. True, he was hardly impressive in that game (25 yards), but he was getting the reps of a 4th stringer in practice for the most part. Fred Jackson had a lot more practical experience in the pros than Wright did before last season after playing in Europe and as a memeber of the practice squad.

I do remember in the pre-season game against Detriot when Wright rushed 12 time for 51 yards and looked pretty good. In the same game Lynch went 6 for 9. Lynch was going against first stringers but he had the first string line blocking for him. Wright was going against scrubs but had scrubs blocking. Jackson went 9 for 23 against the scrubs.

The point is, Oman was going against D-II scrubs all the time - he was a man amongst boys. That may be comparable to Wrights performance against Detroit.

I was disappointed in Wright last year. I was disappointed in the whole offense last year. Edwards' numbers were nothing to write home about either, and he was getting first team reps after the first Patriot game. Now we are touting Edwards as the next big thing - I look for him to improve too.

I also look for Wright to improve and I think that Oman will struggle some, particularly if he gets 4th string reps.

mysticsoto
07-16-2008, 04:51 PM

Of course. Someone needs to tell you who Atlanta is going to pick. ;)

HHURRICANE
07-16-2008, 07:16 PM
I think Chris brown is nuts. Wright looked like crap last year. I think Oman unseats him.

dasaybz
07-16-2008, 08:48 PM
Wright is definitely going to make this team. He got a bad rap last year because when he was in during the regular season he looked extremely nervous. He was a BEAST in the preseason last year.

I don't know why people are writing him off so quick.

DraftBoy
07-17-2008, 07:45 AM
Of course. Someone needs to tell you who Atlanta is going to pick. ;)

Won't let me live that one down will you?

Dr. Lecter
07-17-2008, 07:46 AM
:bf1: Mystic

justasportsfan
07-17-2008, 09:01 AM
I think that it may be a tad too soon to write Wright off after 29 carries, and mostly sporadic carries at that.

.Lynch himself struggled inspite of getting the bulk of the carries at camp and regular season with the 1st team.I'm not surprised Wright could only muster 3.2 yards. I think he could've done better if he had more carries.

mysticsoto
07-17-2008, 09:26 AM
Won't let me live that one down will you?

:D

Actually, I thought we both did pretty good in our picks. Look how we correctly predicted a QB for Miami in the 2nd rd (even if it was with their second 2nd rd pick) - but clearly we understand needs of each team. Much moreso than FTP understands the needs of his own team.

I wonder if people realize how long it took us going back and forth until we have agreement and writing up the rationales for each, etc. But it was fun!!!

DraftBoy
07-17-2008, 09:35 AM
:D

Actually, I thought we both did pretty good in our picks. Look how we correctly predicted a QB for Miami in the 2nd rd (even if it was with their second 2nd rd pick) - but clearly we understand needs of each team. Much moreso than FTP understands the needs of his own team.

I wonder if people realize how long it took us going back and forth until we have agreement and writing up the rationales for each, etc. But it was fun!!!

It only took 3 weeks or so....

DraftBoy
07-17-2008, 09:47 AM
Also we actually did pretty well, while we only nailed two picks in Round 1 (Jets-Gholston, and Denver-Clady) we also got 7 other picks right position wise.

In Round 2 we got 5 of the teams position picks right.

mysticsoto
07-17-2008, 09:55 AM
It only took 3 weeks or so....

Yes, but that was b'cse we kept going back and forth all day long and not working. :D And then we'd continue at night until late too.

Not complaining though. It was fun. The last few rounds went alot quicker as we were less picky with our choices.

justasportsfan
07-17-2008, 09:58 AM
get a room guys.

gr8slayer
07-17-2008, 09:58 AM
Yes, but that was b'cse we kept going back and forth all day long and not working. :D And then we'd continue at night until late too.

Not complaining though. It was fun. The last few rounds went alot quicker as we were less picky with our choices.
Just wait until there are three people involved :up:

mysticsoto
07-17-2008, 10:02 AM
get a room guys.

I don't have any more audio receivers to power surge thru...

mysticsoto
07-17-2008, 10:03 AM
Just wait until there are three people involved :up:

Doh! This next one will easily take over a month to do...

One thing to watch out for...DB has a 2 headed coin that he uses...

DraftBoy
07-17-2008, 10:21 AM
Doh! This next one will easily take over a month to do...

One thing to watch out for...DB has a 2 headed coin that he uses...

:bs: You won the majority of the flips if I recall correctly...

mysticsoto
07-17-2008, 10:31 AM
:bs: You won the majority of the flips if I recall correctly...

That's why our draft was so successful. :D

But you won the Atlanta flip and that threw a wrench into the next few picks!!!

Meathead
07-17-2008, 11:08 AM
going into last season i was excited to see what wright would do but when he got in he looked slow and mistake prone and couldnt even function as a good blocker

im not saying hes finished but whatever he has better show up quick this time around