PDA

View Full Version : Paille signed to multi-year deal

Dr. Lecter
07-16-2008, 10:45 AM
Buffalo Sabres General Manager Darcy Regier announced today that forward Daniel Paille has agreed to terms on a multi-year deal. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

“Danny is a talented young player that can make a difference at both ends of the ice,” Regier said. “Danny has been a key component to our penalty killing unit and we look forward to helping him continue to develop with our club for years to come.”

Paille, (4/15/84, 6’1”, 200 lbs) appeared in 77 games last season with the Sabres, averaging 13:20 in total ice time per game. In his first full season with the club, the Welland, Ontario native reached career-highs in points (35), goals (19) and assists (16). Paille had three multi-goal games last season (1/12 vs NJ, 2/5 at Bos, 3/12 at Pitt). In 120 career National Hockey League games, Paille has amassed 49 points (23+26).

Good news here. (http://sabres.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=368495)

THATHURMANATOR
07-16-2008, 11:23 AM
That is good news. I think Paille is going to be a very good two way player for years to come.

bigbub2352
07-16-2008, 11:26 AM
Paille is solid like the signing alot, still waitin on Macarthur, i hope Mancari gets a shot this year on the 4th line we nned size after Berneir gone

SpillerThrills
07-16-2008, 11:36 AM
Paille is solid like the signing alot, still waitin on Macarthur, i hope Mancari gets a shot this year on the 4th line we nned size after Berneir gone

Mac has agreed to his "qualifying offer"... now my question is, can the sabres sign him to a long term deal now or do they have to wait???

Al the Bills Fan
07-16-2008, 11:46 AM
good signing of a good quality two way player

hydro
07-16-2008, 11:55 AM
Good news! :dance:

THATHURMANATOR
07-16-2008, 11:58 AM
Wonder the terms of the deal.

Michael82
07-16-2008, 11:59 AM
Nice! Now....hurry up and give Ryan Miller his money. :mad:

OpIv37
07-16-2008, 12:07 PM
that's nice.

What about Pominville and Miller?

Mitchy moo
07-16-2008, 12:56 PM
:dance:

Ebenezer
07-16-2008, 01:00 PM
that's nice.

What about Pominville and Miller?
two to tango...Pommers and Miller want to have to sign.

OpIv37
07-16-2008, 01:17 PM
two to tango...Pommers and Miller want to have to sign.

well it's the org's job to make them want to sign here.

Ebenezer
07-16-2008, 01:19 PM
well it's the org's job to make them want to sign here.
so they should over pay a player if that player has no interest in signing here just to get that player interested in signing here?

Dr. Lecter
07-16-2008, 01:23 PM
With impending UFA next year, Miller might not be interested at all.

Ebenezer
07-16-2008, 01:25 PM
With impending UFA next year, Miller might not be interested at all.
not if he agent is telling him he could get $7mil or more a year...think the Sabres would fork that over? think most of the fans want them too?

OpIv37
07-16-2008, 01:28 PM
so they should over pay a player if that player has no interest in signing here just to get that player interested in signing here?

what the hell are you talking about?

It's the org's job to put together a team that looks like a winner, show a long term commitment to players who perform, and offer salaries that are competitive with what they can get from other teams. it's not just about the money.

Dr. Lecter
07-16-2008, 01:30 PM
what the hell are you talking about?

It's the org's job to put together a team that looks like a winner, show a long term commitment to players who perform, and offer salaries that are competitive with what they can get from other teams. it's not just about the money.

You have followed sports long enough to know that for SOME players it is only (or primarily) about the money.

OpIv37
07-16-2008, 01:34 PM
You have followed sports long enough to know that for SOME players it is only (or primarily) about the money.

well Buffalo doesn't have those players because we can't afford them.

Dr. Lecter
07-16-2008, 01:37 PM
well Buffalo doesn't have those players because we can't afford them.

It does not mean they don't draft them or have them in their system at some point.

I am not saying Miller is like that - just that players, in all sports, leave the best teams to go elsewhere for the almighty dollar.

THATHURMANATOR
07-16-2008, 02:07 PM
It is ALL about the money for 99.9% of professional athletes. I can't believe there are people still naive to this fact. This ESPECIALLY applies younger athletes going for their 1 big contract for their career. Occasionally an older player who has already had their payday will sign with a team for other concerns but that is very rare.

This leads us to Miller. To sign him now to a long term deal it will take 7 million plus at this point. Is Miller worth that? Hard to tell. He is very good and I don't know who we would find to replace him at this point. I would advocate they pay the guy but I wouldn't be pissed if they decided against it.

Dr. Lecter
07-16-2008, 02:51 PM
2 years, 2.25 million total.

Much less per year than I thought, but shorter than I would have liked.

I am guessing he wants to hit UFA ASAP.

Link (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=243553&lid=sublink06&lpos=headlines_main)

mchurchfie
07-16-2008, 02:52 PM
Campbell comes to mind.

OpIv37
07-16-2008, 02:54 PM
It is ALL about the money for 99.9% of professional athletes. I can't believe there are people still naive to this fact. This ESPECIALLY applies younger athletes going for their 1 big contract for their career. Occasionally an older player who has already had their payday will sign with a team for other concerns but that is very rare.

This leads us to Miller. To sign him now to a long term deal it will take 7 million plus at this point. Is Miller worth that? Hard to tell. He is very good and I don't know who we would find to replace him at this point. I would advocate they pay the guy but I wouldn't be pissed if they decided against it.

Hossa took less money to go to Detroit. Malkin took less money to play in Pittsburgh than to go back to Russia and he's in the prime of his career.

But I agree on Miller- I wouldn't be pissed if they didn't pay him provided that they find a replacement.

Dr. Lecter
07-16-2008, 02:55 PM
Hossa took less money to go to Detroit. Malkin took less money to play in Pittsburgh than to go back to Russia and he's in the prime of his career.

But I agree on Miller- I wouldn't be pissed if they didn't pay him provided that they find a replacement.

You are using the exceptions to try and prove the rule, same as you criticize others for.

Ebenezer
07-16-2008, 03:16 PM
You are using the exceptions to try and prove the rule, same as you criticize others for.
Please don't use OP's style on himself.

Dr. Lecter
07-16-2008, 03:31 PM
BTW, in two years he will still be a RFA so the length, if it was not long-term, is perfect.

OpIv37
07-16-2008, 03:35 PM

I'm simply saying that if other FO's can convince players to stay for less money, than so can the Sabres.

Buffalo fans have a huge inferiority complex. Every time some other team does something right, there's a million excuses as to why the Bills/Sabres can't do the same thing. It's time to stop this ridiculous mentality and start expecting our teams to function like top-tier teams instead of accepting them as bottom-feeders.

Philagape
07-16-2008, 03:38 PM
I'm simply saying that if other FO's can convince players to stay for less money, than so can the Sabres.

Buffalo fans have a huge inferiority complex. Every time some other team does something right, there's a million excuses as to why the Bills/Sabres can't do the same thing. It's time to stop this ridiculous mentality and start expecting our teams to function like top-tier teams instead of accepting them as bottom-feeders.

So if other rookie WRs can have big seasons, so can Hardy

If another offense can show dramatic improvement with a rookie OC, so can the Bills

Thanks for the inspiration!
:D

Dr. Lecter
07-16-2008, 03:40 PM
Those rules only work when building towards the negative, dammit!

RockStar36
07-16-2008, 03:50 PM

Hossa took less money because Detroit won the Cup.

Buffalo doesn't have that kind of leverage with players.

Also, Hossa took a one year deal. Don't you think that was also part of his plan? One year deal and take his chances again as a UFA, more money next season....

RockStar36
07-16-2008, 03:52 PM

I also notice that it seems it is always the FO fault in situations like this. I'm sure there is a lot behind the scenes that we don't know about.

What if Regier called Miller's agent already and wanted to talk but his agent said flat out, "We want to wait till next off-season and see what kind of money is available no matter what." What exactly should Darcy do in this situation? Not a whole lot.

Ebenezer
07-16-2008, 03:56 PM
Hossa took less money because Detroit won the Cup.

Also, Hossa took a one year deal. Don't you think that was also part of his plan? One year deal and take his chances again as a UFA, more money next season....
You mean like win a cup with Detroit (or the team perceived to have the best chance to win a cup) and then skate away to the new CHL for multiple millions closer to home?? Nah, never happen. It's just because the Sabres are not committed to winning.

Philagape
07-16-2008, 04:00 PM

Do the Sabres have any kind of leverage whatsoever?

Ebenezer
07-16-2008, 04:05 PM
Arguably, only teams like the Red Wings do.

RockStar36
07-16-2008, 04:26 PM

Not really, which is the point I was making.

THATHURMANATOR
07-16-2008, 04:32 PM

Hossa isn't young and he took less years not less money.

Malking was a UFA for a couple years still. The russia league can't poach per the new agreement.

Yes they must find a good replacement.

RockStar36
07-16-2008, 04:35 PM
Hossa isn't young and he took less years not less money.

Malking was a UFA for a couple years still. The russia league can't poach per the new agreement.

Yes they must find a good replacement.

Hossa took a bit less considering what others got, but in the long run he will make WAY more because he will be a UFA against next season and if the cap and salaries keep rising he can cash in then. It was a smart move on all angles by Hossa.

Malkin would've been a RFA next season. He didn't technically take less money like some think, his deal is almost identical to Crosby which is great money.

OpIv37
07-16-2008, 10:27 PM
So if other rookie WRs can have big seasons, so can Hardy

If another offense can show dramatic improvement with a rookie OC, so can the Bills

Thanks for the inspiration!
:D

nice try.

Too bad that rookie WR's and rookie OC's doing well are still the exception to the rule.

Other FO's make much better moves than this FO ALL the time. It's the rule, not the exception. Every year, some other FO outperforms this one and everyone has a million excuses about small markets and winning the Cup and all this other BS- why not hold our FO to the same standard? Remember, this was a Final Four team for two years running before FO ****ed it up. It's not quite the same as winning the Cup, but other players HAVE to notice that.

OpIv37
07-16-2008, 10:28 PM
I also notice that it seems it is always the FO fault in situations like this. I'm sure there is a lot behind the scenes that we don't know about.

What if Regier called Miller's agent already and wanted to talk but his agent said flat out, "We want to wait till next off-season and see what kind of money is available no matter what." What exactly should Darcy do in this situation? Not a whole lot.

Um, if Reiger did that maybe, just maybe, he'd say so publicly and put the pressure back on Miller. If Miller wants to test the market rather than stay here, what allegiance does Reiger have to protect his interest? None.

If that happened we would have heard about it.

Philagape
07-17-2008, 07:27 AM
nice try.

Too bad that rookie WR's and rookie OC's doing well are still the exception to the rule.

Other FO's make much better moves than this FO ALL the time. It's the rule, not the exception. Every year, some other FO outperforms this one and everyone has a million excuses about small markets and winning the Cup and all this other BS- why not hold our FO to the same standard? Remember, this was a Final Four team for two years running before FO ****ed it up. It's not quite the same as winning the Cup, but other players HAVE to notice that.

The issue was players taking less money. That is the exception.

ddaryl
07-17-2008, 08:35 AM
If I was a player who hadn't won a cup yet and really wanted too, had saved up some cash.. I would definitely be looking to sign with a real contender for less money.

Buffalo had this type of team, but the short sightedness of this FO let Drury and Briere walk instead of having just a tad bit of forsight to get both of them locked up long term for the price of what one of them made in FA. A 50% discount...

Heck only keeping one of the 2 would have at least demonstrated some forward thinking.

Then we would have still had the money to keep our own best FA's and attract better talent in the FA market because we would have challeneged if not won a stanley cup instead of regressing and missing the playoffs all together...

The FO for the Sabres deserves the hate IMHO.... If you can not plan ahead effectively then you really have no business being in the business