PDA

View Full Version : The future O line

LABillsFan
04-23-2003, 05:36 PM
I haven't heard that much about the lack of depth there is on the O line. People are talking about DL's, TE's, WR's, and S but (correct me if I'm wrong) Jennings and Sullivan are making pennies right now, so I wonder when their contracts come up in the next year or two, can the Bills afford to have Ruben @4.4, MW @4.5 and resign Jennings and Sullivan at fair market value? Houghton and Pucillo (6th rounder and 7th rounder) don't strike me as quality back ups, but they are the only guards the Bills have for depth. Should the Bills look for players to rotate with the starters to keep fresh bodies on the field and is a 4th rounder out of the question for a guard or center? Any thoughts?

Schobel94
04-23-2003, 05:52 PM
Yeah, it'll be hard to keep Jennings, we can probably keep Sullivan, but we do need some future O-lineman, especially at guard to replace Rueban in 3 or 4 years. I'm sure Donahoe is on top of it.

HenryRules
04-23-2003, 06:06 PM
I think drafting Al Johnson in the second round would solve some problems. If Jennings leaves in a couple of years, which is probably the worst-case scenario, MW should by then be ready to slide over to LT, Teague could play RT and then Johnson would be our center.
I'm not too worried about Reuben Brown's eventual departure. Yeah, he makes the pro bowl a lot, but he's only a left guard and I think he makes it more on reputation - he's one of the top 5 in the conference, but I wouldn't say he's one of the best in the NFL. Also, drafting guards can normally be done with a fair degree of success at the end of the first and throughout the second rounds and they often can have an impact in their rookie years.

Tatonka
04-23-2003, 07:12 PM
basically what henryrules said..

DraftBoy
04-23-2003, 09:08 PM
I dont like the idea of goind OG/OC in round 2. We have far too many more depth concerns (DT, DE, S, WR) to go OL before these are cleared up.

Tatonka
04-24-2003, 12:09 AM
you wont be saying that if teague or brown or sullivan goes down for the season in week one.

RedEyE
04-24-2003, 12:15 AM
Technically there are so many freakin' talented DL coming out this year, the Bills could draft Fain in the 1st and a DL in the 2nd. I think that there is a projected 11 DL expected to go in the 1st round (more than 1/2 the picks). By not picking a DL in the first, the long list instantly drops down, pushing some higher caliber talent into the 2nd.

Much like what happened to the WR list last year.

Tatonka
04-24-2003, 12:18 AM
red.. that is what really makes me want to see us trade down.. i feel like the second round will be loaded..

i would rather have 3 second rounders this year than a high first.

RedEyE
04-24-2003, 12:21 AM
I could live with that. Do you have a team in mind that might want to make this move?

Tatonka
04-24-2003, 12:34 AM
no.. but i would trade down with oakland in a heartbeat ( not that they have expressed interest)

man.. the waiting is just killing me..

i am 28 years old, and i am actually breaking out this week like a 15 year old boy... i think it is from nonstop thought about the draft.. it is stressing me.. too man possibilities to calculate..

i am turning into Rainman.. yeah.. yeah.. definately trade down.. uh oh uh oh.. burn baby.. burn baby..

i should get paid for this..

Romes
04-24-2003, 12:36 AM
:lol:

Its funny cause its true. Me too. I feel the same way.

Tatonka
04-24-2003, 12:38 AM
:stuck: :help: :snicker:

LABillsFan
04-24-2003, 11:58 AM
I don't know it Teague is a good fit at RT besides, he just learned how to play center after being a guard. Going to a 3rd postion might not be the best thing for him or the team. I wouldn't mind seeing TD take an OL in the 3rd round. If this team is goiong to be a power running team to set up Bledsoe, the Bills need more than the back up's they have now. I don't want to see Pucillo start because of injury. That may lead to more injuries like Bledsoe getting nailed. Which means AVP will have to be the starter behind a banged up line. Insurance on the The Bills already upgraded the Def by miles, yet the OL is the same. I really feel That area has to be addressed early.

HenryRules
04-24-2003, 12:11 PM
Teague was a tackle before, so switching to RT isn't going to be that big of an adjustment.

LABillsFan
04-24-2003, 01:59 PM
I thought he was a guard. Just back tracked, my bad. But he is about 20 lbs. too light.

HenryRules
04-24-2003, 02:27 PM
I'm not saying that Teague at RT wouldn't be without its problems, but its also 2 years away min., so I think having him as the potential RT is solid for now. Maybe next year we can draft an OT if we think Jennings is leaving, but now is too early when we already have Price and Teague on our roster who can play OT. We don't have any backups of significance in the middle, which is why i say drafting a center is more important (but I don't see the big advantage of Faine over Johnson, which is why I say wait 'til round 2).
I know that's different then what a lot of the experts say (everyone pretty much says Faine is gonna be HOF material), but from the limited amount that I saw him and Johnson play, they didn't look that different. I think Faine is the guy this year that all the draft reporters fall in love with and he starts flying up the draft boards. Some team will end up taking him because of the hype, but I don't think 3 or 4 years from now they will be that much better off than they would have taking someone else in the first and grabbing Johnson in the 2nd.