What previous years Bills squad does this years most closely resemble??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mitchy moo
    Roways rooking ahread!
    • Sep 2005

What previous years Bills squad does this years most closely resemble??

And why??

I'm going to take 1988, I think you can see some common denominators. Gifted running back, QB starting to take over the team, defense getting stronger, gifted WR hitting his stride.
  • Mitchell55
    only another 1000 mocks due by tomorrow!
    • Feb 2008

Re: What previous years Bills squad does this years most closely resemble??

Originally posted by Skooby
    And why??

I'm going to take 1988, I think you can see some common denominators. Gifted running back, QB starting to take over the team, defense getting stronger, gifted WR hitting his stride.

I said this before and people knocked me.

Comment

• djjimkelly
      • Apr 2003

Comment

• SABuffalo786
        • Feb 2003

Originally posted by djjimkelly

Groan
        "Do me a favor, say a prayer for brother Timmy. And tip a cold one. Go Bills." - Tom Brokaw

We are the Rockpile
        We are the Rockpile
        We are the Rockpile
        BUFF-A-LO

Comment

• Night Train
          Retired - On Several Levels
          • Jul 2005

Originally posted by djjimkelly
          The space odyssey authority would know this.
          Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• dannyek71
            Drink Responsibly
            • Dec 2004

A QB who has just proven himself somewhat the year before, a good young team. High expectations.
            [

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
              • Feb 2005

1) Joe Ferguson (Edwards) was in his 2nd year.
              2) OJ Simpson (Lynch) was a young improving running back.
              3) We had a young pair of WR's by the names of JD Hill and Bobby Chandler (Evans and Hardy).
              4) Our O line was on the verge of becoming the famed "Electric Company".
              5) We made it to the playoffs.

Comment

• X-Era
                What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                • Feb 2005

And why??

I honestly dont see the similarities.

For example,

The offensive line is the best we have had since the SB years. But, its not as good as that unit by any means (yet).

The WR corp is now an unproven commodity. Evans hasnt proved he can be the star with Edwards throwing to him (yet). We all think that will happen. Hardy is a rookie, Reed isnt much better than McDaniels. Parrish isnt Beebe (yet) but in the right offense could be. So really we have one guy who has shown he can be a star but not with our current QB yet.

As far as RB, I still feel Lynch has more talent than any other RB since Thurman. But he also reminds me alot of Darick Holmes. Let keep our fingers crossed.

At QB we have a green as the hills guy who has played like Tom Brady as far as moving the chains, but then scores about as much as Kelly Holcomb. Hes not the dynamic out of the pocket type that Flutie was, but he also isnt a statue like Bledsoe. He isnt fragile like RJ, but he isnt as tough as Kelly. He doesnt have a gun for an arm like Losman, but he also doesnt have a noodle like AVP. Nor is he a vocal leader like Kelly. He really reminds me more of players that dont play for us. Tom Brady is the closest style of play (but he is nowhere near that talent level yet). Hes a guy where we dont know what we have yet. He has shown signs of being a high quality field general who has great poise and pocket presence, doesnt make big mistakes, and can keep the chains moving. But he hasnt scored points, and we cant win unless we do.

At TE we havent had squat since Metzelaars, thats still the same.

On D, you have a very polar situation. You could look at the squad and like everything about it.... Young, highly touted players on the DL, LB, and DB corps, proven vets thrown in on all levels, DL, LB, and DB corp. The talent level is there across all three levels. But will they play like it? Who knows. I could try to say were looking at a D like that of Wades years. But we dont have the run stuffing space eater, we dont have Winfield and Clements in the same backfield. That style was a whole different style than we have now. I hope we are more like the Bears D a few years ago, young, relatively unknown (outisde of Urlacher), but overachieving.

ST's rival that of the Levy years, they are special... Although we dont have anyone even close to being Tasker. And lets hope we never, ever, ever, repeat wide right.

So thats it.

I think as far as similarities go, its a smattering across many years and many different groups. That means I dont think you can draw a single overall team similarity.
                Last edited by X-Era; 07-17-2008, 07:40 AM.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                  Roways rooking ahread!
                  • Sep 2005

Originally posted by draz54

3) We had a young pair of WR's by the names of JD Hill and Bobby Chandler (Evans and Hardy).
                  Great post Draz. Can everyone here stop translating their own personal abuses and fears into every post, please? OP clones need their own forum for being violated and then we can set up advertisers for paxil / zoloft, geez.

Comment

• Luisito23
                    Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
                    • Apr 2003

Good post EdwardsEra.....I'm not gonna quote it like some maniacs here do, but it was real good!
                    "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
                    ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
                    ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
                    ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• SabreEleven
                      • Aug 2002

Didn't we lose to the Dolphins for that whole decade?

Comment

• Oaf
                        Do you read what you write?
                        • Jun 2007

In terms of fan excitement and expectations, look no further than 2003 and then again in 2005.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                          • Mar 2005

And why??

'73 Bills.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                            • Mar 2005

I picked the year before because that '74 team seemed more experienced.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                              • Mar 2005

And why??

This team has no resemblence to 1988. Kelly was already an established superstar.

Comment

Working...
                              X