PDA

View Full Version : What previous years Bills squad does this years most closely resemble??

Mitchy moo
07-16-2008, 10:47 PM
And why??

I'm going to take 1988, I think you can see some common denominators. Gifted running back, QB starting to take over the team, defense getting stronger, gifted WR hitting his stride.

Mitchell55
07-16-2008, 11:20 PM
And why??

I'm going to take 1988, I think you can see some common denominators. Gifted running back, QB starting to take over the team, defense getting stronger, gifted WR hitting his stride.

I said this before and people knocked me.

djjimkelly
07-17-2008, 12:15 AM

SABuffalo786
07-17-2008, 12:37 AM

Groan

Night Train
07-17-2008, 05:14 AM

The space odyssey authority would know this.

dannyek71
07-17-2008, 05:52 AM

A QB who has just proven himself somewhat the year before, a good young team. High expectations.

Yasgur's Farm
07-17-2008, 06:37 AM

1) Joe Ferguson (Edwards) was in his 2nd year.
2) OJ Simpson (Lynch) was a young improving running back.
3) We had a young pair of WR's by the names of JD Hill and Bobby Chandler (Evans and Hardy).
4) Our O line was on the verge of becoming the famed "Electric Company".
5) We made it to the playoffs.

X-Era
07-17-2008, 06:49 AM
And why??

I honestly dont see the similarities.

For example,

The offensive line is the best we have had since the SB years. But, its not as good as that unit by any means (yet).

The WR corp is now an unproven commodity. Evans hasnt proved he can be the star with Edwards throwing to him (yet). We all think that will happen. Hardy is a rookie, Reed isnt much better than McDaniels. Parrish isnt Beebe (yet) but in the right offense could be. So really we have one guy who has shown he can be a star but not with our current QB yet.

As far as RB, I still feel Lynch has more talent than any other RB since Thurman. But he also reminds me alot of Darick Holmes. Let keep our fingers crossed.

At QB we have a green as the hills guy who has played like Tom Brady as far as moving the chains, but then scores about as much as Kelly Holcomb. Hes not the dynamic out of the pocket type that Flutie was, but he also isnt a statue like Bledsoe. He isnt fragile like RJ, but he isnt as tough as Kelly. He doesnt have a gun for an arm like Losman, but he also doesnt have a noodle like AVP. Nor is he a vocal leader like Kelly. He really reminds me more of players that dont play for us. Tom Brady is the closest style of play (but he is nowhere near that talent level yet). Hes a guy where we dont know what we have yet. He has shown signs of being a high quality field general who has great poise and pocket presence, doesnt make big mistakes, and can keep the chains moving. But he hasnt scored points, and we cant win unless we do.

At TE we havent had squat since Metzelaars, thats still the same.

On D, you have a very polar situation. You could look at the squad and like everything about it.... Young, highly touted players on the DL, LB, and DB corps, proven vets thrown in on all levels, DL, LB, and DB corp. The talent level is there across all three levels. But will they play like it? Who knows. I could try to say were looking at a D like that of Wades years. But we dont have the run stuffing space eater, we dont have Winfield and Clements in the same backfield. That style was a whole different style than we have now. I hope we are more like the Bears D a few years ago, young, relatively unknown (outisde of Urlacher), but overachieving.

ST's rival that of the Levy years, they are special... Although we dont have anyone even close to being Tasker. And lets hope we never, ever, ever, repeat wide right.

So thats it.

I think as far as similarities go, its a smattering across many years and many different groups. That means I dont think you can draw a single overall team similarity.

Mitchy moo
07-17-2008, 06:52 AM

3) We had a young pair of WR's by the names of JD Hill and Bobby Chandler (Evans and Hardy).

Great post Draz. Can everyone here stop translating their own personal abuses and fears into every post, please? OP clones need their own forum for being violated and then we can set up advertisers for paxil / zoloft, geez.

Luisito23
07-17-2008, 06:53 AM
Good post EdwardsEra.....I'm not gonna quote it like some maniacs here do, but it was real good!

SabreEleven
07-17-2008, 06:57 AM

Didn't we lose to the Dolphins for that whole decade?

Oaf
07-17-2008, 03:16 PM
In terms of fan excitement and expectations, look no further than 2003 and then again in 2005.

HHURRICANE
07-17-2008, 03:17 PM
And why??

'73 Bills.

HHURRICANE
07-17-2008, 03:18 PM

I picked the year before because that '74 team seemed more experienced.

HHURRICANE
07-17-2008, 03:19 PM
And why??

This team has no resemblence to 1988. Kelly was already an established superstar.

Oaf
07-17-2008, 03:19 PM
I said this before and people knocked me.
lol. Sucks, man. :chuckle:

lordofgun
07-17-2008, 03:20 PM
Last year.

justasportsfan
07-17-2008, 03:33 PM
This team has no resemblence to 1988. Kelly was already an established superstar.
and thurman didn't bring his own booze to bars.

Mitchy moo
07-17-2008, 07:08 PM
and thurman didn't bring his own booze to bars.

Jimbo owned the bar so it was free for him anyways.

Mr. Pink
07-18-2008, 12:49 AM

Historian
07-20-2008, 06:00 AM

Solid draft.

Lynch could be Cribbs, then again he could be Terry Miller.

The D is coming together nicely.

We still have yet to prove we can defeat our nemisis: 1979: Fish, 2008: Pats.

TacklingDummy
07-20-2008, 06:07 AM
1984 or 1985

Mitchy moo
07-20-2008, 06:38 AM
1984 or 1985

Lol, :oops:

raphael120
07-20-2008, 10:57 AM
Last year.

Last year I didn't think playoffs were in the cards. We had way too many issues and we still had Peerless Price as our #2 WR. I thought we'd at leasth ave a winning season but that didn't happen, though it might have had we not had so many injuries. This season though I think we have a lot of pieces in place and added experience and playmakers (Stroud, McKelvin, Hardy) in key places. I dont expect to see the full potential of this team until after the BYE though considering Jaurons teams always start out slow...btu I think if we start out slow again this year, we'll get the same 7-9 results. You can't crap away the first quarter of the season with such a young team.

Turf
07-20-2008, 06:57 PM
The year we squeaked into the playoffs with Fergy under Knox and lost to San Diego. This team in no way resembles the team of the late 80's.

Mitchy moo
10-07-2008, 10:33 PM
And why??

How pegged has this been??

Griff
10-08-2008, 01:02 AM

A QB who has just proven himself somewhat the year before, a good young team. High expectations.

except that we started 100% differently. You just called the pot white.