Question #5: Who will start at right cornerback?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mysticsoto
    Too sober for this...
    • Apr 2004

After the free agent departure of Nate Clements in 2007 this was a legitimate question about a position that was manned by an entrenched starter for the better part of six seasons. One season later the Bills again have to address this question again. And though more than one of the current candidates for the role manned it in a starting capacity last season, the new additions have made for a stiff competition come training camp.

Two of main candidates for the role were part of the competition last season. Jabari Greer and Ashton Youboty however, were both outperformed by Jason Webster who landed the starting role coming out of training camp.

Unfortunately for Webster he broke his arm in the opener against Denver and was placed on injured reserve. Youboty stepped in as a second-year player with little game experience and started the next three games, but missed the next five weeks with a high ankle sprain and never returned to the starting lineup.

That's because Greer took the opportunity to start and ran with it. In his first start in Week 5 he held Terrell Owens to just two receptions for 25 yards in what should have been a Bills victory. By season's end Greer had solidified himself as the starting right cornerback.

But with top pick Leodis McKelvin entering the fold, the job will again see stiff competition.
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Re: Question #5: Who will start at right cornerback?

I'm almost sure Greer isn't getting Whitner any Xmas or birthday gifts.
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Oaf
      Do you read what you write?
      • Jun 2007

Webster definitely did not beat out Greer or Youboty last year to start.

I still maintain that we won't see McKelvin starting over Greer until week 10. And even so, I believe McKelvin will be playing outside and moving McGee to the slot in Nickel situations. In base situations, I see Greer being slowly replaced on the outside by McKelvin, again around midseason, but not because of a knock on his play, but b/c McKelvin maturing as a player.
      I really believe Greer has his head in right place, much like Whitner, and hope he can get an extention between Butler and Williams money soon and be a major cog in our defense for several seasons.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
        Peterman Sucks!
        • Mar 2006

MvKelvin will be starting by week 4, if not sooner.

Comment

• casdhf
          • Jul 2002

We have rook for Greer, McKelvin, James, Youboty and McGee ... they'll all play and chances are we'll need all of them.
          Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
          cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• mayotm
            • Jul 2003

Greer and McGee played pretty well last year. Not sure how many of you read KC Joyner on ESPN, but he had them as a top 10 tandem last year. Joyner uses fairly complex statistics to measure players. Take it for what it's worth. Anyway, I'd be fairly pleased if Greer and McGee play as well as they did last year. McKelvin is an unknown, but you'd certainly like to think that the 11th player taken in the draft can contribute. Leaving James, Youboty, Corner and Cox battling for the 4th and 5th spots. This group has the potential to be solid. Especially, if the Bills can generate more of a pass rush.

Comment

• mysticsoto
              Too sober for this...
              • Apr 2004

So, if McKelvin doesn't start over Greer, are people going to b!tch about that? Op, you there?

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                Peterman Sucks!
                • Mar 2006

Originally posted by mysticsoto
                So, if McKelvin doesn't start over Greer, are people going to b!tch about that? Op, you there?
                If McKelvin doesn't start this year, the franchise either a. wasted a pick on a bum or b. poor coaching.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                  Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                  • Dec 2005

I predict he'll be starting for the first time against Arizona in week #6, coming off our bye.

He'll be a contributor from day one. And I'll bet he'll at least partially share KR duties with McGee.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

Working...
                  X