PDA

View Full Version : ESPN DB Rankings

justasportsfan
07-17-2008, 02:29 PM
19. New England Patriots
The Patriots secondary will feature some new faces this year after the losses of Asante Samuel and Eugene Wilson to free agency. Veteran Fernando Bryant and Jason Webster will step into the void, while Ellis Hobbs will continue to hold down the other corner spot. New England also added some youth to the group by drafting Terrence Wheatley in the second round. Veteran SS Rodney Harrison continues to make a difference despite his age, and James Sanders is back after starting 15 games last season. Second-year man Brandon Meriweather should be more of a safety, and if he can play with the same confidence he demonstrated in college Meriweather will be a good one.

23. Miami Dolphins
Jason Allen has the physical tools to excel as a starting free safety, but has started just nine games in his first two seasons and he will have former Atlanta starter Chris Crocker behind him if he falters. SS Yeremiah Bell can make a lot of plays with his toughness and instincts, but he also faces health questions after playing in just one game last season. Will Allen has been a solid and durable fixture at RCB, while LCB Michael Lehan needs to recover quickly from an injured ankle. The Dolphins have good depth at safety with Keith Davis and Crocker as the backups. Davis and Crocker will quickly upgrade the special teams units if they are not starting, and Andre Goodman, Nathan Jones and Travis Daniels provide quality depth at corner.

26. New York Jets
The Jets should feel good about their future at corner as RCB Darrelle Revis showed good technique and cover skills while starting every game last season as a rookie. Revis should only get better with experience, and Kerry Rhodes is an above-average starter at safety who will provide consistent production. The other safety spot is a bit of a question mark as Abram Elam will look to improve after starting eight games last season. If New York gets LCB Justin Miller back at full strength this year it will be a bonus as the Jets were forced to adjust to his absence early last season. This is another group that could finish much higher in the rankings by the end of the year if some concerns are addressed.

27. Buffalo Bills
They will be improved this year with SS Donte Whitner and FS Ko Simpson both entering their third season. Simpson missed the majority of the 2007 season with a dislocated ankle, but should be ready to return as the starter, and the duo gives the Bills two young playmakers with good instincts who can make plays in traffic or in space. Buffalo returns starters Terrence McGee and Jabari Greer back at corner, and while McGee lacks ideal size he does have good quickness and ball skills. Greer has better size to match up with receivers and is very competitive. The addition of CB Leodis McKelvin through the draft will provide depth and competition, and McKelvin should be at least the nickel corner when the season begins.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/news/story?id=2932074&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl%2finsider%2fnews%2fstory%3fid%3d2932074

lordofgun
07-17-2008, 02:32 PM
Sorry, but they're obviously trying to get a reaction by putting the Pats @ 19. I hate to say it, but Tom Brady alone makes them a top 5-10 team every single year.

OpIv37
07-17-2008, 02:35 PM
Sorry, but they're obviously trying to get a reaction by putting the Pats @ 19. I hate to say it, but Tom Brady alone makes them a top 5-10 team every single year.

um, the article is just ranking secondaries.

justasportsfan
07-17-2008, 02:37 PM
Solly. I forgot to add "db" into the thread titre

justasportsfan
07-17-2008, 02:40 PM
I'm surprised you don't think the article is ranking the bills too high?

lordofgun
07-17-2008, 02:40 PM
Totally justafan's fault.

DraftBoy
07-17-2008, 02:45 PM
Sounds about right to me, rankings wise

OpIv37
07-17-2008, 02:54 PM
I'm surprised you don't think the article is ranking the bills too high?

I honestly don't know enough about other team's secondaries to comment. But on our secondary we have:

Whitner- he's been mediocre so far

Simpson- all the physical tools but lacks the mental aspect- hopefully he spent all that injury time watching tape and studying playbooks.

McGee- 2 good years and 2 bad years at CB, but generally a solid player

McKelvin/James- unproven/journeyman

I think Leonard and Wilson both suck, although Wilson is decent for only having played the position for one year. At CB, Greer is decent nickel/depth, Youboty's a disappointment and the other guys we drafted are just question marks.

So, with all those concerns, it seems like a fair ranking.

mysticsoto
07-17-2008, 02:57 PM
I really can't agree with this ranking at all. The Bills have the worst secondary in the AFC East? Absolutely not. In fact, I'd argue we have one of the best...

justasportsfan
07-17-2008, 02:58 PM
Actually, NOT. NO one even heard of the fins' dbs.
It's ESPN obviously clueless.

OpIv37
07-17-2008, 02:58 PM
I really can't agree with this ranking at all. The Bills have the worst secondary in the AFC East? Absolutely not. In fact, I'd argue we have one of the best...

based on what? See my post above.

mayotm
07-17-2008, 03:00 PM
I honestly don't know enough about other team's secondaries to comment. But on our secondary we have:

Simpson- all the physical tools but lacks the mental aspect- hopefully he spent all that injury time watching tape and studying playbooks.

I think Leonard and Wilson both suck, although Wilson is decent for only having played the position for one year. At CB, Greer is decent nickel/depth, Youboty's a disappointment and the other guys we drafted are just question marks.

So, with all those concerns, it seems like a fair ranking.Don't need to worry about Leonard any longer. He's no longer with the team.

mysticsoto
07-17-2008, 03:06 PM
based on what? See my post above.

Your post says you don't know enough about other teams' DBs to judge them.

OpIv37
07-17-2008, 03:11 PM
Your post says you don't know enough about other teams' DBs to judge them.

right except I do know about our DB's and I know they're not very good. And I have reasons why they aren't very good. Their stats, last year's performance and last years defensive rankings show it.

So, if you're going to say that our DB's are amongst the best in the league, come up with a good reason why because the numbers certainly don't justify that assertion.

justasportsfan
07-17-2008, 03:13 PM
right except I do know about our DB's and I know they're not very good. And I have reasons why they aren't very good. Their stats, last year's performance and last years defensive rankings show it.

but in comparison to the other teams that you don't have any clue about, ours looks better on paper. ;)

OpIv37
07-17-2008, 03:15 PM
but in comparison to the other teams that you don't have any clue about, ours looks better on paper. ;)

how do they look better on paper? On paper, we have a mediocre S in Whitner, an unproven, inexperienced S in Simpson, a solid CB in McGee and a journeyman or a rookie in James or McKelvin.

What exactly makes that look good on paper?

lordofgun
07-17-2008, 03:18 PM
how do they look better on paper? On paper, we have a mediocre S in Whitner, an unproven, inexperienced S in Simpson, a solid CB in McGee and a journeyman or a rookie in James or McKelvin.

What exactly makes that look good on paper?
Well for example - let's pretend mybills drew the Bills players on paper to start with. Pretty much any other artist rendering of the Bills would look better on paper after that.

Hope that clears it up, Op.

lordofgun
07-17-2008, 03:19 PM
Also, glossy vs. matte could play a role depending on your taste.

justasportsfan
07-17-2008, 03:20 PM

?
again, in comparison to other teams that you HAVE NO CLUE about. Do you even know who Davis, Andre Goodman, Nathan Jones and Crocker are?

The only reason why Iknow who Yeremiah bell is, is because is see his name on his Jersey when the show Lee burning his a$$.

OpIv37
07-17-2008, 03:23 PM
again, in comparison to other teams that you HAVE NO CLUE about. Do you even know who Davis and Crocker are?

mystic said that we have one of the best secondaries in the league- BASED ON WHAT?

I said that I could see how our secondary is ranked low based on a list of legitimate concerns about them. He posted no evidence as to why he thinks our secondary is good. Because there isn't any evidence to suggest that they're good.

lordofgun
07-17-2008, 03:25 PM
mystic said that we have one of the best secondaries in the league- BASED ON WHAT?

I said that I could see how our secondary is ranked low based on a list of legitimate concerns about them. He posted no evidence as to why he thinks our secondary is good. Because there isn't any evidence to suggest that they're good.
Mystic also thinks Joe Biden would be a great VP. I wouldn't put much stock in what he says. :D

justasportsfan
07-17-2008, 03:27 PM

don't drag Mystic into our own converstaion. I don't agree with him either. The only thing he's good for is picking a sig pic, but not lately.

mysticsoto
07-17-2008, 03:32 PM

So, if you're going to say that our DB's are amongst the best in the league, come up with a good reason why because the numbers certainly don't justify that assertion.

Whoa...whoa...whoa...I never said best in the league. I said it can be argued that they are among the best in the AFC East.

- If the Patriots have an achilles, it has to be their secondary. Everywhere else they are strong as hell. They have great LBs and a very good DL which allows them to have a poorer secondary though. They didn't grab 2 CBs in their 2nd and 4th for nothing. They currently have Hobbs and Webster (whom we dumped). Brandon Merriweather will likely develop into a pretty good safety, but he's still green right now and can't be counted as a playmaker just yet.

- For the Jets, Justin Miller started coming along finally toward the end of last year, but previously he wasn't showing much and neither was anyone else. Darelle Revis is one they are hoping develops and contributes more. The Jets also drafted a CB in the 3rd to help boost them. Their safeties are nothing to fear either. Darnell Bing might develop but even so, he may need another year or so.

- Miami? Please. Miami has holes and question marks everywhere and the secondary is no different. On the safety side, Jason Allen has been a flop so far. You criticize Whitner, but he's an order of magnitude better than Allen!

People often think that the grass is greener on the other side, but a closer look might lead them to think otherwise!

justasportsfan
07-17-2008, 03:35 PM
On the safety side, Jason Allen has been a flop so far. You criticize Whitner, but he's an order of magnitude better than Allen!

!

Don't know what you're talking about

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/y35c-YvCwx0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/y35c-YvCwx0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Oaf
07-17-2008, 03:54 PM
ESPN just ran an article how McGee allowed an excellent ~5.5 YPC and Greer had a solid 7.1 YPC. 27th is absurd especially considering we're behind New England and Miami. I don't think ESPN spent time reviewing this article much and certainly didn't see the perspective of the whole AFCE division.

If Ko can improve on his 1st season, we'll have a top half secondary. And with the addition of McKelvin, I'll add all my ZBs to that assertion if there are any takers.

yordad
07-17-2008, 04:03 PM
I think our CBs are much better then they are getting credit for. Our pass rush was horrid last year. Our pass rush might have been bad to try and overcoime the poor rush defense, but the pass rush was bad.

No pressure, equals poor secondary every time.

1. Better run D should equal better pass rush.

2. Better pass rush equals less time to throw.

3. Less time to throw equals less completions.

4. Less completions equals better secondary.

5. Returned injured starters equals better secondary.

6. Experience equals better secondary.

7. Better depth equals better secondary.

I think we will have a better secondary. Better then last year. And better then this name recognition charged list has the Bills ranked.

Bling
07-17-2008, 04:08 PM
again, in comparison to other teams that you HAVE NO CLUE about. Do you even know who Davis, Andre Goodman, Nathan Jones and Crocker are?

The only reason why Iknow who Yeremiah bell is, is because is see his name on his Jersey when the show Lee burning his a$$.

Do you? I know who your best CB is... oh wait, you haven't had a CB since Clement took the money and ditched you guys. Your best CB's claim to fame is returning kicks. :up: I know who your best S is. Some bust getting burnt by RB, baking cookies with your 1st round pick. Your secondary's situation has been so horrendous that you've had to draft a DB top 15 two out of the last three years, even with that DL needing as much help as it can get. Dolphin's secondary > Bills. These guys know what they're talking about.

Bling
07-17-2008, 04:15 PM
- Miami? Please. Miami has holes and question marks everywhere and the secondary is no different. On the safety side, Jason Allen has been a flop so far. You criticize Whitner, but he's an order of magnitude better than Allen!

Weak argument. As usual. Will Allen, Yeremiah Bell, Andre Goodman are all easy starters on the Bill's roster. Jason Allen would even compete at your puny FS position.

Don't know what you're talking about

I'll give you a 1000 ZB's if you can tell me who that RB is, and what roster he belongs to? But it's always good to know my FS is there at the play. Whitner takes the ****ty angle, and gets burnt like a Quizo Sub. :up:

Mitchell55
07-17-2008, 06:07 PM

Already told you what I thought about Whitner. Simpson is basically a rookie again in my eye. James has only been with 2 teams before buffalo and spent time in the teams. Wilson is a very good DB. I dont know how you say he sucks. McKelvin has the best upside out of all the CBs in the draft.

PECKERWOOD
07-17-2008, 06:27 PM
Weak argument. As usual. Will Allen, Yeremiah Bell, Andre Goodman are all easy starters on the Bill's roster. Jason Allen would even compete at your puny FS position.

LOL, Will Allen??? Get a grip. Yeremiah Bell and Andre Goodman? WHO DEY??!

http://www.nfl.com/players/yeremiahbell/careerstats?id=BEL639186
http://www.nfl.com/players/andre'goodman/careerstats?id=GOO313244

I'll give you a 1000 ZB's if you can tell me who that RB is, and what roster he belongs to? But it's always good to know my FS is there at the play. Whitner takes the ****ty angle, and gets burnt like a Quizo Sub. :up:

Yup, that did happen but last I checked one play doesn't define an entire career and btw blingy boy, who won that game?

I understand your game blingy boy, you talk crap based on baseless arguments to get a rise out of people. Kudos on copying other trolls versus actually trying to make a point and making yourself look like a dumb ass like you've done so many times before in the past. E for effort but you get an F as far as originality is concerned.

Mitchell55
07-17-2008, 08:27 PM

Samkon Gado.

Bling
07-17-2008, 10:14 PM
LOL, Will Allen??? Get a grip. Yeremiah Bell and Andre Goodman? WHO DEY??!

Watch any pigskin back in 2006, or are you new to the game?

Yup, that did happen but last I checked one play doesn't define an entire career and btw blingy boy, who won that game?

And what one 230 lb beast of a RB does to a FS in college shouldn't either. :up:

I understand your game blingy boy

you talk crap based on baseless arguments to get a rise out of people. Kudos on copying other trolls versus actually trying to make a point and making yourself look like a dumb ass like you've done so many times before in the past. E for effort but you get an F as far as originality is concerned.

Argue back, defending your team, and the label troll is associated with you. Cool.

Fact is guys: I never once insulted anyone. I simply stated my opinion. I'm glad that the clowns that can't handle differing opinions errr... valuable posters who can't take the trolls... are leaving. Goodbye. This board is flooded with people that can't stand other opinions.

raphael120
07-18-2008, 01:09 AM

LOL

The only change from out 30th ranked DB squad from last year is McKelvin. A rookies isn't going to make them one of the best units in the league.

Mitchell55
07-18-2008, 01:23 AM
LOL

The only change from out 30th ranked DB squad from last year is McKelvin. A rookies isn't going to make them one of the best units in the league.

True, but we do have a DL and a solid depth. Other than McKelvin and James, we havent changed much though in the secondary.

Mitchell55
07-18-2008, 01:27 AM
Watch any pigskin back in 2006, or are you new to the game?

And what one 230 lb beast of a RB does to a FS in college shouldn't either. :up:

Argue back, defending your team, and the label troll is associated with you. Cool.

Fact is guys: I never once insulted anyone. I simply stated my opinion. I'm glad that the clowns that can't handle differing opinions errr... valuable posters who can't take the trolls... are leaving. Goodbye. This board is flooded with people that can't stand other opinions.

I understand where you are coming from. But your a dolphin fan. You dont belong.

mysticsoto
07-18-2008, 07:22 AM
LOL

I think the rest of the defense had alot to do with that 30th ranking. I think playing a 3rd stringer at S and at times at LB had alot to do with that ranking. And I think the ineptness of the DLine and Tripplett had alot to do with that 30th ranking defense. All that has changed.

Yordad already stated the obvious, but for some, it may bear repeating. Having an improved DLine will show how much better this secondary is than they are being given credit for.

By the way, I already stated that I meant among the best in the AFC East, not in the league. But that was my fault as my wording left it with that interpretation possible.

mysticsoto
07-18-2008, 07:32 AM

How is that a weak argument? All those guys you list above are at best...average, if that. Jason Allen has been terrible considering where he was drafted. I questioned the Whitner pick and moving up when we 1st got him, but now I don't. We could easily ended up with Allen if we had stayed put. We would have had a flop. The same with your Corners...they've been struggling for years. In case you haven't noticed, you have 4 FA CBs on your roster that were just picked up. What does that say about the confidence in the caliber of talent you have when half of the CBs on your roster were just picked up in the offseason?

Pinkerton Security
07-18-2008, 09:19 AM
I have to say Will Allen was pretty much the Phins most consistent player last year, or one of. I'd say hes comparable to McGee. However, the other corners on Miami blow.

Other than that, Bell is not as good as Whitner, more along the lines of Simpson, and Jason Allen is crap. Even if you call the starters even, our depth is better.

Mr. Miyagi
07-18-2008, 10:27 AM
So let me get this straight.

The Patriots who lost both their starting CBs and replaced them with two mediocre journeymen, and have a veteran safety in Harrison and a second year guy Meriweather is ranked #19.

Whereas the Bills with both returning starters in CBs, two 3rd year seasoned safeties, and a 1st round pick in McLovin is ranked #27.

No biases there. :rolleyes:

justasportsfan
07-18-2008, 12:34 PM
Ronnie Brown. Pay up. :D

justasportsfan
07-18-2008, 12:36 PM
Do you? I know who your best CB is... oh wait, you haven't had a CB since Clement took the money and ditched you guys. Your best CB's claim to fame is returning kicks. :up: I know who your best S is. Some bust getting burnt by RB, baking cookies with your 1st round pick. Your secondary's situation has been so horrendous that you've had to draft a DB top 15 two out of the last three years, even with that DL needing as much help as it can get. Dolphin's secondary > Bills. These guys know what they're talking about.
FACT !!! your db's got torched by a rookie and an O that was ranked at the bottom of the league with a qb problem. :up: