PDA

View Full Version : Per PFW: Peters Will Not Hold Out

Romes
07-18-2008, 10:45 AM
*Warning everything from PFW should be taken with a grain of salt...

Evans, Peters expected to report on time for camp

July 18, 2008

Despite the fact that Bills WR Lee Evans’ contract is up after the season and OLT Jason Peters was a no-show in the team’s offseason program, we hear that a holdout from either one in training camp is unlikely. Although Evans and the team would like to finalize a long-term deal, we hear that it’s perhaps even more important for the team to do something quickly, as Evans realizes he’ll be paid handsomely by somebody — be it the Bills or another team — if he somehow reaches the open market in 2009. But the Bills won’t allow that to happen, as a deal will be struck, even if it doesn’t happen until during or even after the upcoming season. Peters, whose deal is up after 2010, realizes that he has no leverage in his bid for a new deal, and there’s talk around Buffalo that his push for a new contract is being orchestrated by his agent, Vincent Taylor. Peters is a team-first, quiet guy who is not the type to be raising a stink about his deal, especially three years before it’s due to expire.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+East/Buffalo/WWHI/2008/wwhi071808.htm

I really hope they are right, though...

hydro
07-18-2008, 10:46 AM
:phew: That would be a load off...

raphael120
07-18-2008, 10:48 AM
Yeah we need to focus on just one premier guy this season, not two. Given the choice, I would definitely pick Peters.

OpIv37
07-18-2008, 10:49 AM
good news on both fronts- I just hope the source is reliable.

bigbub2352
07-18-2008, 10:51 AM
PHEW would be nice to see Peters show some class and trust the organization that gave him his shot, he should see what we did with Schobel and understand he will get paid, let us lock up Evans and Crowell, then Peters and our nucleaus for the forseeable future is solid and actually good for a change

Michael82
07-18-2008, 12:10 PM
Good to hear. I think that Evans will get a new contract during training camp. That's when the Bills have worked on deals before and it would make perfect sense, but it will be after the 1st or 2nd pre-season game.

RockStar36
07-18-2008, 12:16 PM
:phew: That would be a load off...

:ill:

TMI....

TacklingDummy
07-18-2008, 12:22 PM
Being PFW we can think the opposite. Evans/Peters will hold out and the Bills will allow Evans to hit the open market.

madness
07-18-2008, 12:38 PM
Peters, whose deal is up after 2010, realizes that he has no leverage in his bid for a new deal, and there’s talk around Buffalo that his push for a new contract is being orchestrated by his agent, Vincent Taylor. Peters is a team-first, quiet guy who is not the type to be raising a stink about his deal, especially three years before it’s due to expire.

Peter's agent needs to be flogged. :mad:

justasportsfan
07-18-2008, 12:43 PM
I think you guys are mistaking PFW with PFT . PFW is way better than PFT.

RockStar36
07-18-2008, 01:17 PM
I want Peters to come in and play like he knows how to play. If he does it for a second straight season I would be completely on his side if he wanted a new deal and I would expect the Bills FO to work with him. But...to do it after one good season just doesn't seem right.

Mitchy moo
07-18-2008, 01:34 PM
Let's keep our fingers crossed about all of this.

patmoran2006
07-18-2008, 02:33 PM
I want Peters to come in and play like he knows how to play. If he does it for a second straight season I would be completely on his side if he wanted a new deal and I would expect the Bills FO to work with him. But...to do it after one good season just doesn't seem right.
vAlid point.

However, keep this in mind.. Peters goes out and has another all-pro year (and I'll bet he will) the price tag to redo a deal is going to go up even more.

IMO, he's a top three OT in the NFL already. The longer the wait, the more he accomplishes, the more he'll cost and possibly eventually price himself out of Buffalo.

If there is any common ground, I'd extend him right now.

Bulldog
07-18-2008, 02:56 PM
vAlid point.

However, keep this in mind.. Peters goes out and has another all-pro year (and I'll bet he will) the price tag to redo a deal is going to go up even more.

IMO, he's a top three OT in the NFL already. The longer the wait, the more he accomplishes, the more he'll cost and possibly eventually price himself out of Buffalo.

Espically true when one considers that both Dockery and Walker make more than he does. I would imagine that that's probably not sitting too well with Peters right about now. Just pay the man already.

John Doe
07-18-2008, 03:00 PM
vAlid point.

I don't know how much higher Peter's market value can get now.

It is hard to be a "flash in the pan" as a professional offensive lineman.

I think his worth will increase according to the market itself going higher, but if he is #3 right now, and everyone realizes that he will probably get even better, and that he is in the early stages of his physical prime, then he is most likely at the top of the market right now.

acehole
07-18-2008, 05:29 PM
If I am the Bills I would do Peters as first priority in 2009.
Lee next...then Crowel.

*Warning everything from PFW should be taken with a grain of salt...

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+East/Buffalo/WWHI/2008/wwhi071808.htm

I really hope they are right, though...

Yasgur's Farm
07-18-2008, 05:51 PM
vAlid point.

If there is any common ground, I'd extend him right now.Problem is... What's to say we re-do his contract, he has another all-pro year, and he does this again.

He signed his extension just 2 years ago... Almost to the day. That's 2 times the Bills went out on a limb for him.

He's got 3 years left. IMO... His contract should not be addressed before he produces again.

Goobylal
07-18-2008, 10:15 PM
vAlid point.

I've been saying that all along. To give him a new deal now would probably cost no more than giving him one next year, because of how much more it will take to sign him next year. Plus if you give him the new deal now, he'll be happier.

TacklingDummy
07-18-2008, 11:10 PM
I've been saying that all along. To give him a new deal now would probably cost no more than giving him one next year, because of how much more it will take to sign him next year. Plus if you give him the new deal now, he'll be happier.

The problem is the Bills don't have to give him a new deal this year, next year, the year after, or even the next 2 years after that.

Romes
07-19-2008, 04:57 AM
I think you guys are mistaking PFW with PFT . PFW is way better than PFT.

That was probably true a year or so ago, but recently PFW has gone way down hill.

This year they published this gem:

March 26, 2008

Trade for Losman not expected to be completed before draft

So far, there’s a serious lack of suitors that have come knocking on the Bills' door inquiring about acquiring disgruntled QB J.P. Losman. Losman has asked for a trade following his demotion behind starter Trent Edwards, a request that the Bills would be happy to oblige should a reasonable offer come their way. Not surprisingly, Losman has been a no-show at “voluntary” workouts in Orchard Park, and it’s unlikely he’ll show up considering that he can’t be fined for not attending the sessions. That being said, the Bills continue to harbor the belief that they’ll work out an deal for the quarterback. We hear that it’s highly unlikely there will be any action until after the draft. Whichever teams come out of the late April selection meeting without a quality passer will go a long way in determining who will have interest in the former first-round pick.

This was printed when buffalo media was saying that Losman was in town...