Forked Thread: Teppo... Sabres are done with FA...think about the future cap.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ebenezer
    Give me a minute...
    • Jul 2002

Forked Thread: Teppo... Sabres are done with FA...think about the future cap.

Forked from: Teppo close to returning?

Originally posted by Mikey82
    Oh God! It appears that some of us were right...the Sabres are done with FA. All we got out of it was a backup goaltender and then traded for a very good veteran defenseman. Teppo will be our 2nd defensive player signing and we won't sign anyone else for the defense. We also won't sign anyone else to help make this team tougher....

Oh well, at least Ryan Miller is extended long term!
    Mikey, the NHL cap is different than the NFL cap. First, you cannot exceed the cap in future years. In the NFL you can have 125 mil on the books for 2010 as long as you are under the cap for this season. You can't do that in the NHL. The cap this year is $56 million...that means that the cap every year is $56 million until the NHL rises it.

Also, check out the Sabres cap. They have already committed $36 mil to the 2009 cap. That only covers 10 skaters and 2 goalies. Spacek, Max, Timmy and Kotalik will all be UFA and Pommers, Stafford and Sekera will all be RFA. It is easy to say that Max, Timmy and Kotalik won't be back but how they have to be replaced with somebody. How are they supposed to stock a full roster if they keep going out and paying the market cost for other free agents? Right now in 2009 this team would have $14 mil (of a self imposed $50 mil cap) to sign 8 players...include a big name (at big money) and you are going to have to fill in the team with a bunch of cheap minor leaguers - maybe cheaper than Kennedy and Gerbe who make about $800k each if they are on the NHL roster. Don't forget they MUST sign Pommers or this city will have a fit. That is going to cost them, what?, $4mil a year?

At some point you have to start filling in with guys you grow who are cheap. Even if the Sabres spent to the NHL cap they would have a hard time doing what you and some of the fans want. Fans might not like it and I am not making apologies for it. I still say - they saw the future and made no real attempt to resign CD and DB because they knew the balloon would collapse at some point.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.
  • hydro
    • Oct 2005

Re: Forked Thread: Teppo... Sabres are done with FA...think about the future cap.

I won't even mention what would have happened with the big 3 in the picture
    BERNIAC!

Comment

• Ebenezer
      Give me a minute...
      • Jul 2002

Re: Forked Thread: Teppo... Sabres are done with FA...think about the future cap.

Originally posted by hydrosmak

I won't even mention what would have happened with the big 3 in the picture
      It is so true that we could have had DB and CD and BC say $25 for 5 each...and in two years what would we have had? Those three, Vanek and Miller counting for about $37 million of the cap?? $13-14 million to spend on 15 guys??? Yikes...that team would have sucked.

And I didn't even mention about Tallinder and Lydman being UFA after next season...only so much pie to slice.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• RockStar36
        Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
        • Sep 2004

THis team wasn't that far off last year. The things they have done this year should be good. Teams don't win championships but just signing every FA that they see. I don't understand why people still get bent out of shape about it.

D & S Sports

Comment

• Nighthawk
          Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by RockStar36
          THis team wasn't that far off last year. The things they have done this year should be good. Teams don't win championships but just signing every FA that they see. I don't understand why people still get bent out of shape about it.
          You are kidding, right? This team has basically replaced Campbell with Rivet and that is the ONLY difference between last year and this year. Now don't get me wrong, I like Rivet a lot, but he is not going to get this team over the hump. This organization should have moved some players off the current roster and replaced them with players who actually have heart. I'm sorry, but you guys are too easily satisfied. This team is no better than it was last year. IMO

Comment

• Ebenezer
            Give me a minute...
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Nighthawk
            You are kidding, right? This team has basically replaced Campbell with Rivet and that is the ONLY difference between last year and this year. Now don't get me wrong, I like Rivet a lot, but he is not going to get this team over the hump. This organization should have moved some players off the current roster and replaced them with players who actually have heart. I'm sorry, but you guys are too easily satisfied. This team is no better than it was last year. IMO
            I don't think any of us would deny that they could move players...and we know the obvious candidates. However, it takes two to tango. Some other team has got to want them or you can't trade them. Even if you cut them you have to buy the player out and that counts against the cap. This team cannot afford dead cap space.

Comment

• Nighthawk
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ebenezer
              I don't think any of us would deny that they could move players...and we know the obvious candidates. However, it takes two to tango. Some other team has got to want them or you can't trade them. Even if you cut them you have to buy the player out and that counts against the cap. This team cannot afford dead cap space.
              I agree, but Darcy is always trying to make the "perfect" trade and often waits too long and then gets nothing. I'm pretty sure he is again trying to get the farm from somebody instead of putting together a nice trade that would benefit this team. Fact is, this organization loves their players WAY TOO MUCH...except when it's time to pay for them.

Comment

• RockStar36
                Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
                • Sep 2004

THe point of my initial post is that teams don't win championships by just signing all kinds of free agents.

I should also remind everyone that it is still the middle of July.

D & S Sports

Comment

• Ebenezer
                  Give me a minute...
                  • Jul 2002

I agree, but Darcy is always trying to make the "perfect" trade and often waits too long and then gets nothing. I'm pretty sure he is again trying to get the farm from somebody instead of putting together a nice trade that would benefit this team. Fact is, this organization loves their players WAY TOO MUCH...except when it's time to pay for them.
                  wouldn't you want to make the perfect trade??? he's not playing fantasy hockey, ya know. truthfully...max and his burdensome salary or a 7th rounder (that will never see the NHL)? Yes, a guy like Kennedy needs to play but...

Comment

• Nighthawk
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by RockStar36
                    THe point of my initial post is that teams don't win championships by just signing all kinds of free agents.

I should also remind everyone that it is still the middle of July.
                    That point I agree with you on...signing FA for crazy money doesn't work. However, last time I checked, they could move some of these soft players at any time that they'd like. Going into next season with this team intact would be a huge joke.

Comment

• Nighthawk
                      • Jul 2002

wouldn't you want to make the perfect trade??? he's not playing fantasy hockey, ya know. truthfully...max and his burdensome salary or a 7th rounder (that will never see the NHL)? Yes, a guy like Kennedy needs to play but...
                      Sometimes you have to give something up to get something...I'm OK with that. I'm not OK with this team being almost identical and starting the season like that. That is a huge slap in the face of any fan who knows anything about hockey. Selling the same crap product, but with a little whip cream on top is crazy.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                        Give me a minute...
                        • Jul 2002

Sometimes you have to give something up to get something...I'm OK with that. I'm not OK with this team being almost identical and starting the season like that. That is a huge slap in the face of any fan who knows anything about hockey. Selling the same crap product, but with a little whip cream on top is crazy.
                        and this is the point at which I always say...name names. Who are you going to trade and who do you wish to acquire? You going to trade away Pommers, Roy, Vanek, Miller? Maybe either Tallinder or Lydman I'll give you - but that will just weaken an already weaker defense.

...I'd like to read the possibilities.

Comment

• Nighthawk
                          • Jul 2002

and this is the point at which I always say...name names. Who are you going to trade and who do you wish to acquire? You going to trade away Pommers, Roy, Vanek, Miller? Maybe either Tallinder or Lydman I'll give you - but that will just weaken an already weaker defense.

...I'd like to read the possibilities.
                          It's not about names, it's about the fact that trades can be made. Honestly, could you have told me that Rivet was available for two draft choices two months ago? Ummm, yeah, that's what I thought. This thinking that because he doesn't move somebody then it must be because nobody wants them is plain ridiculous. IMO, move some of the dead weight on this team and fill it in with a different type of player. That's what this is about...it's not about getting a superstar back for Max or Ales.

Comment

• ddaryl
                            Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                            • Jan 2005

I still have problems with this front office. They did a great job prepping this team for the post lock out years, but tried to get cute and that decimated a team that was Stanley Cup material.

Now we have a soft defense and not much if anything was really done to turn the D around. Maybe the team gels this year and we have a much better D and make a playoff push.

However, I see this team as nothing more then a 1st round playoff team. I know we have to play the salary cap game, but so does every other team out there. Many of those teams have scooped up prime players, the Sabres have shown themselves to be satisfied with status quo.

If we ever get back to being a Stanley Cup contender I fear that the FO will make boneheaded moves again once we eventually get there.

I guess I am still VERY pissed off at the fact that we had a Stanley Cup caliber team and it dissapeared in a single season all based on FO moves or non-moves.

now were salary capped and we appear to be regulated to only re-signing our own, even though our own couldn't even make the playoffs last saeason.

Comment

Working...
                            X