PDA

View Full Version : Nobody wants Spikes?!

HHURRICANE
07-21-2008, 01:13 PM
Sorry, but I thought he was overrated before the injury. The fact that he's not even getting tryouts is pretty sad.

hydro
07-21-2008, 01:26 PM
There is point to being subjective. But to say Takeo was overrated? :puh:

raphael120
07-21-2008, 02:09 PM
There is point to being subjective. But to say Takeo was overrated? :puh:
Overrated Pro bowler....riiiiight.

Spikes was great before his injury...he just never got back to that level after that. He did OK for the Eagles but he's definitely on the decline. He'd be a great coach someday, motivator.

bigbub2352
07-21-2008, 02:10 PM
TKO was lights out before his injury, that achilles injury takes it out of NFL players like the ACL used to, feel bad for the multimillionare i really do

HHURRICANE
07-21-2008, 02:12 PM
Overrated Pro bowler....riiiiight.

Spikes was great before his injury...he just never got back to that level after that. He did OK for the Eagles but he's definitely on the decline. He'd be a great coach someday, motivator.

There are players with lesser talent that performed alot better than this guy. His mouth was alot bigger than his play for Buffalo. Overrated.

Philagape
07-21-2008, 02:14 PM
No way. In his prime he was a beast who deserved every accolade he got.
His injury is a career-killer.

RingofFire
07-21-2008, 02:40 PM
I'd bring him back.

Mr. Miyagi
07-21-2008, 02:44 PM
No thanks we don't need to go backwards. We've got a young corp of LBs with Poz and Crow. Those guys are big enough motivators.

Mr. Pink
07-21-2008, 02:47 PM
TKO was good...pre-injury.

That injury basically ends any players career that has to be on the move constantly. See Jamir Miller.

I said it once he got the injury to part ways with him, stick a fork in em, he's done.

RingofFire
07-21-2008, 02:49 PM
for depth. not too start.

OpIv37
07-21-2008, 02:50 PM
I'd take 2004 Spikes back in a heartbeat. The guy was a true competitor- he was unbelievable on the field and worked hard off the field to continuously improve. I can't remember the last time Buffalo had a player that skilled and that motivated simultaneously.

But we can't have 2004 Spikes. We'd have to settle for 2008 Spikes, and unfortunately that injury destroyed him. None of our starting LB's are better than Spikes career-wise, but all 3 of them are better than him physically at this point.

Plus, aging vets don't fit this team- anyone in a back up role better a) have a low salary and b) play special teams. No way Spikes accepts either of those conditions.

RingofFire
07-21-2008, 02:56 PM
I'd take 2004 Spikes back in a heartbeat. The guy was a true competitor- he was unbelievable on the field and worked hard off the field to continuously improve. I can't remember the last time Buffalo had a player that skilled and that motivated simultaneously.

But we can't have 2004 Spikes. We'd have to settle for 2008 Spikes, and unfortunately that injury destroyed him. None of our starting LB's are better than Spikes career-wise, but all 3 of them are better than him physically at this point.

Plus, aging vets don't fit this team- anyone in a back up role better a) have a low salary and b) play special teams. No way Spikes accepts either of those conditions.

I'd take him back only if he took vet minimum.

Patrick76777
07-21-2008, 02:57 PM
Sorry, but I thought he was overrated before the injury. The fact that he's not even getting tryouts is pretty sad.

Dude, The 2004 TKO was unstoppable. A machine! Nowhere close to being overrated.

Mr. Miyagi
07-21-2008, 02:59 PM
Dude, The 2004 TKO was unstoppable. A machine! Nowhere close to being overrated.
I agree but now he's junk.

Oaf
07-21-2008, 03:07 PM
Best OLB in the game in 04.

tampabay25690
07-21-2008, 03:10 PM

I agree with you 100%%% he was OVERRATED before his injury as well....

Takeo was a good player but not a great player, he would dissappear for games and then show up for a game or 2........

streetkings01
07-21-2008, 03:14 PM
In 2004 Spike was a beast......he was by far our best LB since Cowart!

djjimkelly
07-21-2008, 03:18 PM
takeo was a bad ass anyone who thinks otherwise just doesnt know the NFL

and its sad an achilles injury can ruin someone this badly.

but thats professional sports

tendons are a whole different ball game then breaking bones and so on once they are done GL. i severly seperated my shoulder when playing ball its never been the same its more of how u gonna manage once the tendon is stretched.

ddaryl
07-21-2008, 03:19 PM
Sad ending for such a fantastic player. I agree Spikes was a beast when healthy, and he deserved more from his career IMO.

The Bills did well getting something for the guy when they did.

Mr. Miyagi
07-21-2008, 03:22 PM
Sad ending for such a fantastic player. I agree Spikes was a beast when healthy, and he deserved more from his career IMO.

The Bills did well getting something for the guy when they did.
The Answer would have you know that it was The Holcombator that the Eagles wanted and Spikes was just a throw-in.

:snicker:

Mr. Pink
07-21-2008, 03:43 PM
The Answer would have you know that it was The Holcombator that the Eagles wanted and Spikes was just a throw-in.

:snicker:

The sad part is Holcomb has FAR more left in his tank and can be more productive even today than Spikes.

So it can be argued that Spikes was the throw in...

Honestly, we gave up two garbage players for a garbage pick - the way it ended up.

MikeInRoch
07-21-2008, 03:45 PM
I can't remember the last time Buffalo had a player that skilled and that motivated simultaneously.

Chris Spielman?

Mr. Pink
07-21-2008, 03:49 PM
Chris Spielman?

I'm sporting my Spielman Browns jersey today!

Add Bryce Paup to that list at the LB position, dude was sweet here.

OpIv37
07-21-2008, 03:53 PM
Spielman and Paup were both great when they were here. And if I remember correctly, their tenure in Buffalo slightly overlapped the end of the Bruce Smith era- those days still lacked something over the SB years but they were much better than what we've had recently.

Oaf
07-21-2008, 04:42 PM
I agree with you 100%%% he was OVERRATED before his injury as well....

Takeo was a good player but not a great player, he would dissappear for games and then show up for a game or 2........

I agree with you -100%.

Jaybird
07-21-2008, 05:29 PM
as a bengal and a bill (before injury) the man was a beast. He played on really bad teams with cincy.

He was a great college player and prudoced his entire career (once again before injury).

Achilles tendon can really limit people, i ruptured mine a year ago, and still lack a lot of strength!!!

Yasgur's Farm
07-21-2008, 05:55 PM
Funny how the national media crucified the Bills last off season by saying they lost all this great talent... Spikes, Fletcher-Baker, McGahee. 1 year later... It's clear we're better off with Crowell, Posz and Lynch.

John Doe
07-21-2008, 06:13 PM
Funny how the national media crucified the Bills last off season by saying they lost all this great talent... Spikes, Fletcher-Baker, McGahee. 1 year later... It's clear we're better off with Crowell, Posz and Lynch.

The Bills management was crucified on this board as well for the Spikes trade.

Yasgur's Farm
07-21-2008, 06:20 PM
The Bills management was crucified on this board as well for the Spikes trade.Very true!

PECKERWOOD
07-21-2008, 06:23 PM
Spielman and Paup were both great when they were here. And if I remember correctly, their tenure in Buffalo slightly overlapped the end of the Bruce Smith era- those days still lacked something over the SB years but they were much better than what we've had recently.

Yeah, Jim Kelly.

OpIv37
07-21-2008, 06:28 PM

Fletcher tore it up for Washington last year. Poz is younger but he got injured so it's impossible to say if he's better or not yet. The national media thought the Bills lost out on the McGahee trade but everyone who pays attention to the team knew we were getting the better end of that deal.

Yasgur's Farm
07-21-2008, 06:34 PM
Except for the relative 8-10 additional years we'll get fro Posz!

Lefty2985
07-21-2008, 08:52 PM
that injury does destroy careers. he was great.

justasportsfan
07-22-2008, 08:45 AM
Fletcher tore it up for Washington last year. Poz is younger but he got injured so it's impossible to say if he's better or not yet. The national media thought the Bills lost out on the McGahee trade but everyone who pays attention to the team knew we were getting the better end of that deal.
you were wrong about Spikes and the bills were right :up:

trapezeus
07-22-2008, 08:48 AM
The Bills management was crucified on this board as well for the Spikes trade.

only for the reason that Bills fans think that the Injured Spikes, unproven Losman, and other players who aren't very good in Bills jersey's require other teams to give up the farm for them.

Our managemnet knew that Spikes was at the end, and we got a fair deal. Walker and a pick. and walker turned into another pick. I forgot who we got for that pick, but it was better than getting a gimpy spikes.

OpIv37
07-22-2008, 09:04 AM
only for the reason that Bills fans think that the Injured Spikes, unproven Losman, and other players who aren't very good in Bills jersey's require other teams to give up the farm for them.

Our managemnet knew that Spikes was at the end, and we got a fair deal. Walker and a pick. and walker turned into another pick. I forgot who we got for that pick, but it was better than getting a gimpy spikes.

Actually it had more to do with having no LB's than thinking Spikes was still valuable.

We had Ellison and DiGiorgio. DiGiorgio ended up filling in for Poz and Ellison sucked. It's hard to argue that the team was better without Spikes. Younger and cheaper- yes. Better- no. We got the picks which is good- otherwise we would have ended up getting something for nothing.

We traded one washed-up disgruntled player for another disgruntled player who never played a game in a Bills jersey. We got the picks but didn't get any better on the field at the time.

Ickybaluky
07-22-2008, 03:06 PM
The Lions are interested in signing Spikes (http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080722/SPORTS01/80722081/1049/rss14), but he is waiting to see what else is available.