PDA

View Full Version : RockStar's Power Rankings

shelby
07-21-2008, 03:27 PM
The first installment of RockStar's power rankings is now available on the front page:

With training camps opening up this week, I thought it was fitting to release the first batch of power rankings for the upcoming 2008-09 NFL season. The Zone started out with these rankings late last season, but we’re getting started now, and will continue throughout this entire NFL season. These rankings are based
partially on how each team finished last season, but they are also
slightly affected by the moves each team made in the off-season.

1. New York Giants: I don’t care what all of the other sports experts are saying in terms of ranking them lower than number one. They finished last season as champions, and they deserve to open camp this year as the number one team. Sure, they lost some key players, and have a potential distraction with Jeremy Shockey, but for now, they are still number one.
2. New England Patriots: The Patriots seem to have survived spygate along with numerous other distractions. They once again lost some key players during the off-season, but the Pats always seem to pick themselves up and continue to dominate. It doesn’t hurt that they have a cake walk schedule this season. Barring injuries, look for the Patriots to continue their run of AFC East titles.
3. Indianapolis Colts: The Colts will be opening camps with several key players on the PUP list, and more pre-season games than the normal team. Don’t expect that to stop Indy from coasting through the pre-season and being ready for opening day. They will be, and they will once again be a top team in the AFC.
4. Jacksonville Jaguars: The Jags made huge strides last year, and David Garrard proved he is the real deal at QB. They added some good, young talent to an already fast and ferocious defense.
5. Dallas Cowboys: If anything, the Cowboys are always a source of entertainment, with Romo in the tabloids or T.O. crying about something. If Adam Jones can step up and prove his worth, the Cowboys D will be even better, and they should be able to bring home another division crown. A playoff win? That will depend on Mr. Romo.

BillsZone Power Rankings 2008 (http://www.billszone.com/mtlog/archives/2008/07/21/billszone_power_rankings_2009_offseasonstart_of_training_camp.php)

Mr. Pink
07-21-2008, 03:47 PM
Nicely done Rockstar! I'll give you some rep when you post in here...couple questions though....

Atlanta and Miami have nowhere to go but up coming into this new season...Miami won't be that bad and an Atl is a year removed from distractions and moving in a new direction...Why so low on the list?

Onto the Rams...you cite the Bills being better due to health, upgrades, etc...Rams are in the same boat. Losing Bruce does hurt, but a healthy Bulger and Jackson all year and I think they're right in the race for the division title. Why so low on these guys?

RockStar36
07-21-2008, 03:49 PM
Some of the teams were slightly a guess. I ranked the ATL and MIA pretty low because they still have a long way to go. I don't know a TON about the Rams so it was hard to figure it out. I was going this in between work at work so I didn't have time to fully research every team. But on that note, this is only the beginning of camp so they are sure to change quickly once pre-season starts.

RockStar36
07-21-2008, 03:49 PM
Oh yeah, and the Bills were slightly homer-ish on my part.

Mitchy moo
07-21-2008, 04:03 PM
Oh yeah, and the Bills were slightly homer-ish on my part.

I think you we're dead on based on the current scenario.

DraftBoy
07-21-2008, 05:41 PM
Nicely done!

yordad
07-21-2008, 05:50 PM
Oh yeah, and the Bills were slightly homer-ish on my part.Naw, not as homerish as mine....

Mine (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=151975), lol

But, in my defense, I was trying to predict this year (as opposed to right now), and gave not too much credit for what a team did last year.

I think you did a very good job. Very agreeable, with good explainations. You know you took a "risk" with the Giants, but no one can fault you, they are the champs.

P.S. I didn't want to take any of your thunder, I just figured rather then comment in detail, I would just provide a link to mine.

Again, great job. :respect:

John Doe
07-21-2008, 06:27 PM
Looks pretty fair to me.

HughC
07-21-2008, 06:51 PM
Nice job putting that together RockStar.

Just my opinion, but I would place the Chargers higher. They beat the Colts, then nearly knocked off the Patriots despite injuries to three of their biggest players (Tomlinson, Rivers and Gates) in the playoffs last year. Their defense is strong (I think they picked Brady off three times in that game) and as far as I know they didn't lose any starters in free agency. I'd put them at #3 for the same criteria you put the Giants at #1, or at the very least ahead of Jacksonville.

mybills
07-21-2008, 07:44 PM
The Bills will rule the AFC East. Mark my words!

shelby
07-21-2008, 07:54 PM
.....not this year, Beth....

:(

mybills
07-21-2008, 07:55 PM
Yes, Shelby, this year.

SeatownBillsFan21
07-21-2008, 10:47 PM
Naw, not as homerish as mine....

Mine (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=151975), lol

But, in my defense, I was trying to predict this year (as opposed to right now), and gave not too much credit for what a team did last year.

I think you did a very good job. Very agreeable, with good explainations. You know you took a "risk" with the Giants, but no one can fault you, they are the champs.

P.S. I didn't want to take any of your thunder, I just figured rather then comment in detail, I would just provide a link to mine.

Again, great job. :respect:
ahead of pitt??

yordad
07-22-2008, 07:39 AM
ahead of pitt??Yeah, "hopefully" is what I said. I figured it was close, and I think the Bills will make the playoffs, so I had to put them 6th in the AFC. I really think the Bills have more talent. If they start out like they are capable of finishing, yes. And, like TigerJ said, because of the returning injured players, the Bills should improve two years worth in one.

Plus our schedule looks easier then that of the Browns or Steelers.