PDA

View Full Version : Len P. writes about Kenny Peterson..

Tatonka
04-24-2003, 12:44 AM
"
For a draft flush with defensive tackle prospects, and in a lottery that could have more first-round hopefuls selected at the onetime blue-collar position than ever before, Kenny Peterson of Ohio State is relatively anonymous.

The pundits rattle off the names of Dewayne Robertson of Kentucky and Penn State's Jimmy Kennedy, or Kevin Williams of Oklahoma State and Texas A&M's Ty Warren, and the only tackle prospect who's wearing an '02 national championship ring is perceived as little more than an afterthought.

Which is fine with Peterson, and even finer with representatives for teams who visited with him as recently as Monday, like the Green Bay Packers.

"I'm just not one to blow my own horn," said Peterson, who dominated the Miami Hurricanes vaunted offensive line in the Fiesta Bowl title matchup. "All that does is add to the stress and, to be honest, this is a nervous enough time as it is already. I have expectations and, believe me, they'll be met.""

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfldraft/columnist?id=1542458

i am liking this guy more and more too. he may be the perfect fit for us because he can be a LDE and DT

Tatonka
04-24-2003, 07:46 AM
the article change anyones opinion of him? i really didnt know that much about him, other than he looked good in the bowl championship..

guy could be ours soon i think.

DraftBoy
04-24-2003, 02:53 PM
Hes a tweener, I dont like taking tweeners in round 1 way too much risk and money invested to take a tweener.

EDS
04-24-2003, 03:30 PM
After looking at the most recent mock drafts from ESPN, The Sporting News and CNN a trend towards drafting defensive tackles early is emerging. All of them have Ty Warren going as early as 14 to the Pats. Generally, Robertson, Kennedy, Williams, Sullivan, Warren and Joseph are all gone by the 15th pick. McDougle is almost certainly going to be gone as well.

That said, if we want to go DL in round one our only viable options are Peterson and Haynes. I agree that Peterson may be a tweener, but I still think I would prefer him over Haynes.

Tatonka
04-24-2003, 03:38 PM
he is not a tweener..

tweener would be a guy that could be DL or could be LB.. he is just a guy that can play DT or DE.. and TD likes guys with versatility.

TigerJ
04-24-2003, 09:24 PM
I've heard the term "tweener" applied to guys who don't quite fit as a DT or DE. They lack DE speed and DT size. Peterson is a little different in that he probably does have enough size for a DT and enough speed for a DE. Justin Bannan is an inch shorter and about the same weight as Peterson. Peterson bulked up to almost 300 lbs and still ran under a 4.8 40. I guess the question about his ability to play the two positions has to be answered by the effectiveness of his techniques. Just saying he played on a national champion isn't enough. Matt Wilhelm was their middle linebacker, and will productive in college, will probably be a late day two pick in the draft. I think Peterson could be a good pro. I think Haynes probably will be too. It may not be as certain as Jimmy Kennedy, but that's why they're going to last until the second half of round one.