PDA

View Full Version : Bills' special teams counting on reinforcements

Patrick76777
07-22-2008, 07:29 AM
Special teams have been the least of the Buffalo Bills’ concerns. They have been ranked first overall twice and no lower than fourth since 2004.

Coy Wire, Sam Aiken, Mario Haggan, Josh Stamer, Ryan Neufeld and Kevin Everett were a big reason for that success, for they made up the heart and soul of the return and coverage units.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/397147.html

Jan Reimers
07-22-2008, 07:36 AM
While I realize that Special Teams are important, having some of the best ST units in the league over the past several seasons hasn't done us a whole lot of good.

I'm glad that we seem to be focusing more on good position players and backups, and then trying to find our STers among them. I think the days of keeping the Wires, Aikens, Haggans, Stamers et. al. - who weren't very effective position players - are over.

OpIv37
07-22-2008, 07:48 AM
While I realize that Special Teams are important, having some of the best ST units in the league over the past several seasons hasn't done us a whole lot of good.

I'm glad that we seem to be focusing more on good position players and backups, and then trying to find our STers among them. I think the days of keeping the Wires, Aikens, Haggans, Stamers et. al. - who weren't very effective position players - are over.

There was one game last year where we were using nickel as our base D because we had so many injuries at LB and Fewell obviously didn't trust guys like Haggan to play D. At that point, having the best ST in the league was hurting more than it was helping.

I honestly don't know why the author mentioned Everett- we really lost him in the first game last year and got through the whole rest of the season without him. I also think Wire's contributions to ST were somewhat exaggerated. He was always CLOSE to the play so fans got used to seeing his number out there, but he was rarely the one actually MAKING the play.

bigbub2352
07-22-2008, 09:36 AM
I hate to say it but we sacrificed way to much in the development of draft picks as well as keeping players that could have been better for us, to keep Sam Aiken Haggan stamer etc on this team, they proved there worth when we had injurys and they couldnt even get on the feild

U can draft replacemnts for them every year, players like FIne, Corner, Bowen, etc will have no problem filling there shoes add Ellison, Dig, Wendling, Wilson, Scott i think we will be a ok

justasportsfan
07-22-2008, 09:37 AM

thats because they couldn't make up for the idiot named Fairchild and a bad middle DL.

Jan Reimers
07-22-2008, 10:02 AM
thats because they couldn't make up for the idiot named Fairchild and a bad middle DL.
But also, we had little in the way of quality backup position players when our starters went down with injuries. Wire, Aiken, Stamer, Haggan, etc. were strictly STers who didn't perform well when pressed into duty at regular positions.

justasportsfan
07-22-2008, 10:25 AM
But also, we had little in the way of quality backup position players when our starters went down with injuries. Wire, Aiken, Stamer, Haggan, etc. were strictly STers who didn't perform well when pressed into duty at regular positions.In the past ST got us good field advantage but we didn't have good redzone players to take advantage. Hopefully Trent has been given that.

We didn't have quality starters.Our back ups were forced to start due to injury. These back ups are now quality back ups due to that experience. Hopefully it's been addressed with Stroud and co. , OL has a year under their belt .
Trent has been given more weapons and we got rid of Fairchild (hoping Turk is not a bigger turd) . NOw special teamers will just have to concentrate on ST plays.

Oaf
07-22-2008, 10:37 AM
It was either 2003 and 2004 where we had the best defense AND best special teams in football and we STILL couldn't reach the playoffs with our offense. I think it was 04. Man, we haven't even had a par offense since 02.

bigbub2352
07-22-2008, 10:47 AM
It was either 2003 and 2004 where we had the best defense AND best special teams in football and we STILL couldn't reach the playoffs with our offense. I think it was 04. Man, we haven't even had a par offense since 02.

Exactly that is why i was so pissed at the Derek FIne pick, we needed to go TE early in the draft or go after a FA early, and another vet WR, and cut REed, but we didnt so we will struggle a little still on O, next years draft and FA whould be all offense
We need weapons not small white TEs