PDA

View Full Version : Ummm could this be huge

patmoran2006
07-22-2008, 07:15 PM
Every now and then I come out with something on here that you think is outlandish.. Fine.. Often, it turns out that way.. But I've also been right a couple of times as well. Yes, if you throw enough **** something will stick; I get it.

Believe what you want to believe, personally I don't care..I'm already the resident "junior journalist".. But I just want to say that I talked to someone, a Packers guy for nearly 25 minutes today, in fact I just got off the phone 15 minutes ago.

And concerning the report that Green Bay has talked to Mulitple teams about trading Bret Farve.. The Buffalo Bills ARE one of those teams.

And to make it even more interesting; according to a person with at least some knowledge of what's going on; if Farve gets traded Buffalo will be one of the two most likely destinations.. The New York Jets are the other.

The other teams rumored to have been contacted are ALL AFC teams (not Tampa bay as some are speculating). The Jets, Buffalo, Miami, Baltimore and another team I do not know.

With these teams, word is Buffalo is by far the best fit, because
A) Cap Space (Farve's salary for this year is around $9 million)
B) Climate
C) Type of town similar to Green Bay
D) Competitive.
E)** A very young QB who could still use 1-2 years learning the league before starting.

The Jets would be of great interest also, but a much bigger cap burden would be put on, plus does Farve really want to play in the media circus that is NY?

Miami is going nowhere for the immediate future and Baltimore has invested a ton in Flacco already.

I'm telling you ladies and Gentlemen; within the next 72 hours you will hear about Buffalo becoming the front runner.

GB will NEVER trade Favre to their division rivals Chicago or Minnesota.. And though Tampa is in a different division, it would be a franchise low for GB to end up playing and losing to TB or any NFC team in the playoffs Farve was traded to. It's HIGHLY unlikely he's going to any NFC team (Detroit would have the best shot)

So people, pay close attention to how this plays out. By several accounts, Buffalo is the best realistic fit should they trade him. And from what I'm reading and hearing, GB is really set on moving forward with Rodgers. And Farve is getting more hell bent on playing everyday.

Stay tuned.

Yasgur's Farm
07-22-2008, 07:22 PM
<!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> Would Trent benefit from playing this year? Absolutely.
Would Trent benefit from watching Favre for a year or 2? No question.
Would the Bills be a better team in '08 with Favre under center? IMO... At least 2 or 3 wins better!!

BRING FAVRE TO THE BILLS RALPH!!!

theanswer74
07-22-2008, 07:27 PM
Favre would generate more revenue for the Bills then Toronto.

X-Era
07-22-2008, 07:28 PM
So, the whole basis of your post was a discussion with someone you call a "Packers guy"?

How many people are in the state of Wisconsin? Hundreds of Thousands

How many people have any real knowledge of the situation? maybe a dozen or so

Odds are good your Packers guy was one of the hundreds of thousands

Patti120
07-22-2008, 07:32 PM
:movie:

X-Era
07-22-2008, 07:35 PM
Baltimore has invested a ton in Flacco but we have invested little in Losman/Edwards? :rolleyes:

We bench a guy we started as a rookie and who has played decent enough to give many people the thought of the playoffs for us? :rolleyes:

We pay 9 mill, probably killing any chance of resigning Evans and/or Peters due to cash to cap? :rolleyes:

Nothing is impossible, and I like Brett, but I just dont see this as being likely or even plausible at all.

Frankly, Brett is not what he once was, and he probably should just stay retired. I havent been that impressed by his play for the past two years.

ptd86
07-22-2008, 07:42 PM
this isnt really valid, i remeber the talk with the draft guy with the bills and it was almost completely wrong, it wasnt the same person saying it though, but still. Why wouldnt you just say how hes affiliated with the packers?

patmoran2006
07-22-2008, 07:54 PM
Baltimore has invested a ton in Flacco but we have invested little in Losman/Edwards? :rolleyes:

We bench a guy we started as a rookie and who has played decent enough to give many people the thought of the playoffs for us? :rolleyes:

We pay 9 mill, probably killing any chance of resigning Evans and/or Peters due to cash to cap? :rolleyes:

Nothing is impossible, and I like Brett, but I just dont see this as being likely or even plausible at all.

Frankly, Brett is not what he once was, and he probably should just stay retired. I havent been that impressed by his play for the past two years.
1- Did I say this is ANYTHING but speculation?.. Im reporting on what the talk is going on in Milwaukee. If I had a conversation with Ted Thompson myself I'd be writing for ESPN or something, not chatting on a Billszone Message board.

2- Your last sentence is absolutley f'n mind-blowing.. He was the runner up for MVP last year, through for what, 4K in yards and 28 TDs and led his team to a 13-3 record and within an OT of the Super Bowl.. A lot of his stats were career-best numbers, And that's not impressive for you? Get real

patmoran2006
07-22-2008, 07:55 PM
this isnt really valid, i remeber the talk with the draft guy with the bills and it was almost completely wrong, it wasnt the same person saying it though, but still. Why wouldnt you just say how hes affiliated with the packers? If I can remember correctly, the guy you're referring to was Brandon Albert, whom I personally (just my opinion, I'm entitled to it like everyone else) think down the line is going to be someone we really regret not taking.

TigerJ
07-22-2008, 07:56 PM
I'm not going to get worked up about it. If it happens, I'll figure out how I feel about it. While it would undoubtably be a public relations boon for the Bills, there are certainly issues that the Bills would have to settle. Favre has played in virtually the same system with the same terminology for his whole career. He did not score well on the Wonderlic coming out of college. How different is Schonert's system from the system to which Favre is accustomed? Without the benefit of an offseason to study it, how well would Favre be able to learn it in training camp? If the Bills have to use a dumbed down system for the better part of a season while Favre gets up to speed, how much of a negative for the offense will that be? Will it be completely balanced out by the upside of having a superstar with all that natural talent coupled with a decade and a half of experience?

mayotm
07-22-2008, 07:56 PM
My cat just told me that the Bills are going to acquire Tom Brady in a trade.

coastal
07-22-2008, 07:57 PM
I would spooge.

ptd86
07-22-2008, 08:00 PM
If I can remember correctly, the guy you're referring to was Brandon Albert, whom I personally (just my opinion, I'm entitled to it like everyone else) think down the line is going to be someone we really regret not taking.

I'm just saying, you told us everything this guy said, why not just say how hes affiliated you dont even have to say his name if its personal.

coastal
07-22-2008, 08:02 PM
Can you imagine Brett Farve being announced and runnign out from the tunnel...

the stadium would be out of hand.

gil
07-22-2008, 08:03 PM
well, thanks Pat - things were getting boring!

I'm not sure how I feel about the idea of this, luckily I don't think it will happen, but who knows, maybe they've upped Ralph's prescriptions and he wants to go for the gusto.

patmoran2006
07-22-2008, 08:04 PM
I never said Buffalo is going to end up with Favre.. I said Buffalo is one of the teams that have been contacted by Green Bay and I'll get money that comes out in the next 48 hours.

To say Farve is going to ANY TEAM is 100% speculation by anybody; fan, writer, broadcaster, whatever.. My only comment about my conversation is its been established that Buffalo would ideally be the best fit, definitely for Green Bay and possibly for Farve as well.

But here is one thing I will put a paycheck up against. Farve will not be traded to Chicago or Minnesota or Detroit (whom supposedly is one of the teams contacted).. and I highly doubt he's traded to Tampa even though it "fits" nice, and probably any NFC team that could possibly come back and bite GB in a playoff game.

I know this sounds like pure Fantasy Football talk, I thought so originally as well. But I'm telling you, if Wilson ends up interested, you may see #4 in Buffalo very soon.

gil
07-22-2008, 08:05 PM
My cat just told me that the Bills are going to acquire Tom Brady in a trade.

the important question would be -- is he a rich cat? because that would be more credible...

HHURRICANE
07-22-2008, 08:07 PM
The Bills are very confident with Edwards as the starter. No way this happens. Ever.

The biggest move that I could see the Bills remotely doing is Chris Henry.

patmoran2006
07-22-2008, 08:08 PM
I'm just saying, you told us everything this guy said, why not just say how hes affiliated you dont even have to say his name if its personal.
Let's just say there are people in here who do know me and know that I had one huge flop of a sportswriting career. But out of that, I do have many people that I hold semi-regular contact with.

I'm wrong more than I'm right and so is every Junior Journalist and/or Peter King as well. On this board, DraftBoy hits some drafts, and he misses some.. its how it goes.. If you were here last year I did call the McGahee trade 2 days before it came out, so every now and then I throw enough **** to make something stick.

And just for the record.. If you read the post, I didnt in ANY way imply that Buffalo was even close to making a deal for Farve.. The ONLY thing factual in my statement is that Buffalo is one of the 'multiple teams' Green Bay is interested in talking trade with.

coastal
07-22-2008, 08:09 PM
I can totally see Old Man Ralph telling Russ to pick up the phone and inquire about a trade.

Ralph wants one bad before he drops his prostate.

patmoran2006
07-22-2008, 08:09 PM
BTW.

My on the record prediction is that on week one, Farve will be the starting QB of.. The Green Bay Packers.. I think public pressure and sentiments will cave in management and Farve ends up starting..

BUT.. If they do end up trading him, and I think if they do it will be sooner than later.. I can't believe Im saying, but i'm going on record and saying the team will be the Buffalo Bills.

HHURRICANE
07-22-2008, 08:11 PM
I love the entertainment value of the thread but Favre is not staying in GB and he's not coming to Buffalo.

Pinkerton Security
07-22-2008, 08:21 PM
i almost wouldnt doubt that they called, they were just doing their "due diligence" as they say.

patmoran2006
07-22-2008, 08:23 PM
I didnt say anything "factual" other than Buffalo has been called. I'm sure it is "due dillegence"

My gut tells me he stays with Green Bay and starts. However, I think if he's dealt I cant see GB trading him to a NFC team, and I think of the potential AFC suitors that Buffalo ends up being the best fit, both on and off the field- not to mention the cap room.

Alot of the teams rumored to be a possible Farve destination would have to do things to their roster to make room. Buffalo would have to do nothing, we're still ridiculously over the cap.

coastal
07-22-2008, 08:26 PM
The end zone section just above the tunnel...

:air: :jam: :drunks:

OpIv37
07-22-2008, 08:32 PM
well rumor has it that Green Bay wanted to draft Losman before TD traded ahead of them and took it.

So, Losman for Favre straight up. Sounds fair.

eyedog
07-22-2008, 08:39 PM
Never in a million of Ralph's years will he bring Farve to Buffalo and pay him 9 million a year.

ptd86
07-22-2008, 08:43 PM
Let's just say there are people in here who do know me and know that I had one huge flop of a sportswriting career. But out of that, I do have many people that I hold semi-regular contact with.

I'm wrong more than I'm right and so is every Junior Journalist and/or Peter King as well. On this board, DraftBoy hits some drafts, and he misses some.. its how it goes.. If you were here last year I did call the McGahee trade 2 days before it came out, so every now and then I throw enough **** to make something stick.

And just for the record.. If you read the post, I didnt in ANY way imply that Buffalo was even close to making a deal for Farve.. The ONLY thing factual in my statement is that Buffalo is one of the 'multiple teams' Green Bay is interested in talking trade with.

i got you, im not trying to attack your statement by any means, I just dont want to get excited or mad about something like this unless it was a little more concrete.

realdealryan
07-22-2008, 08:48 PM
If, for some crazy reason, they want Losman and a pick instead of the Brett Favre retirement* tour.....

it will probably go as well as this went-

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/writers/pete_mcentegart/01/20/ten.spot/p1_jordan.jpg

Stewie
07-22-2008, 09:10 PM
Every now and then I come out with something on here that you think is outlandish.. Fine.. Often, it turns out that way.. But I've also been right a couple of times as well. Yes, if you throw enough **** something will stick; I get it.

Believe what you want to believe, personally I don't care..I'm already the resident "junior journalist".. But I just want to say that I talked to someone, a Packers guy for nearly 25 minutes today, in fact I just got off the phone 15 minutes ago.

And concerning the report that Green Bay has talked to Mulitple teams about trading Bret Farve.. The Buffalo Bills ARE one of those teams.

And to make it even more interesting; according to a person with at least some knowledge of what's going on; if Farve gets traded Buffalo will be one of the two most likely destinations.. The New York Jets are the other.

The other teams rumored to have been contacted are ALL AFC teams (not Tampa bay as some are speculating). The Jets, Buffalo, Miami, Baltimore and another team I do not know.

B) Climate
D) Competitive.
E)** A very young QB who could still use 1-2 years learning the league before starting.

The Jets would be of great interest also, but a much bigger cap burden would be put on, plus does Farve really want to play in the media circus that is NY?

Miami is going nowhere for the immediate future and Baltimore has invested a ton in Flacco already.

I'm telling you ladies and Gentlemen; within the next 72 hours you will hear about Buffalo becoming the front runner.

GB will NEVER trade Favre to their division rivals Chicago or Minnesota.. And though Tampa is in a different division, it would be a franchise low for GB to end up playing and losing to TB or any NFC team in the playoffs Farve was traded to. It's HIGHLY unlikely he's going to any NFC team (Detroit would have the best shot)

So people, pay close attention to how this plays out. By several accounts, Buffalo is the best realistic fit should they trade him. And from what I'm reading and hearing, GB is really set on moving forward with Rodgers. And Farve is getting more hell bent on playing everyday.

Stay tuned.

Let me break down your post to the salient points:

1. You claim the bills are a team interested in favre. Profootballtalk.com posted that at noon today, from a milwaukee journal-sentinel article this morning. nice scoop from your source. He must have access to the "internet."

2. You claim Tampa has not been contacted. Except that the Tampa GM acknowledged they have.

3. You list a bunch of other teams allegedly interested in Favre. You know who else posted all those teams as potential favre suitors today? Yeah, PFT and MJS. The teams you left off your list? A bunch of NFC teams.

4. you claim GB will not trade favre to division rivals. Keen insight, no arguments here.

5. You say its highly unlikely the team will trade him to an NFC opponent. But, you said before they're only contacting AFC teams. So it's either impossible or unlikely, which is it?

... Is it possible, just for a second, that your "packers guy" learned of Buffalo's interest when the rest of the world did? As in, when it was published in a major newspaper and the premier football news aggregator this morning? 8 hours before you got off the phone with him? And that you got real excited about the possibility of favre coming to Buffalo, so you left out a bunch of sticky details to make Buffalo more plausible, so you can act like you're reporting something new?

And yeah, if you throw enough crap on the wall, it sure does stick sometimes. It stinks all the time though.

Oaf
07-22-2008, 09:28 PM
Losman's going to be pissed. :snicker:

Let's say Packers aren't interested in JP like they were in 04'. What would we have to give to get #4? Our entire 2009 draft?

Romes
07-22-2008, 09:37 PM
If, for some crazy reason, they want Losman and a pick instead of the Brett Favre retirement* tour.....

Not only that...

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/2005/12/22/gallery.mondaynightmem/montana.jpg

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0705/gallery.nfl.oldfaces.wrongplaces/images/unitas_.jpg

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc48/jamesu7777/namath_rams_3x.jpg

yordad
07-22-2008, 09:38 PM
Would he rework his deal?

What are the chances a team trades for him, then retrades him to the Vikings/Bears for more then traded to get him? Is that against some rule?

acehole
07-22-2008, 09:52 PM
Thanks Pat.

I said earlier this would be a good fit.

Farve is no Bledsoe and would give this Team a real shot in the arm.

Bills would more then get there money back for this guy and they know it..

How may Packer fans would switch over to watch the game?

How many NFL fans would tune in to see if he still has it?

What a great story if Farve could give Buffalo a ring...

If not gives them intant stability at the position for 1-3 years.

Wow Dare to dream.

B) Climate
D) Competitive.

Stay tuned.

lordofgun
07-22-2008, 09:53 PM
Best thread about nothing EVER.

acehole
07-22-2008, 09:54 PM
Losman's going to be pissed. :snicker:

Let's say Packers aren't interested in JP like they were in 04'. What would we have to give to get #4? Our entire 2009 draft?

Give them JP and second rounder....

DrGraves
07-22-2008, 10:01 PM
If the Bills are serious about making the playoffs, especially trying to win in the playoffs, they would pull the trigger on favre and take a shot...

chances to win super bowl in 2009:
with favre 25-1
with edwards 50-1

Mahdi
07-22-2008, 10:01 PM
Never in a million of Ralph's years will he bring Farve to Buffalo and pay him 9 million a year.
So he would pay dockery 7 mil but wont pay favre 9?

Novacane
07-22-2008, 10:03 PM
I notice you keep saying GB has contacted Buffalo not the other way around. Theres a reason for that. The Bills are not interested.

eyedog
07-22-2008, 10:57 PM
So he would pay dockery 7 mil but wont pay favre 9?

Well if Farve was even 30 yrs old and was willing to play for five more years, he might.
How old is Dockery ? And how many years was that 7 million per for ?

Meathead
07-22-2008, 11:39 PM
our top story tonight: hand lotion shortages are reported widespread in western ny as brett farve signs a two year deal with buffalo

TacklingDummy
07-22-2008, 11:55 PM

We are turning into the Bengals. Might as well add one of their finest character players.

HAMMER
07-23-2008, 12:50 AM
BTW.

My on the record prediction is that on week one, Farve will be the starting QB of.. The Green Bay Packers.. I think public pressure and sentiments will cave in management and Farve ends up starting..

BUT.. If they do end up trading him, and I think if they do it will be sooner than later.. I can't believe Im saying, but i'm going on record and saying the team will be the Buffalo Bills.

Pat out on a limb again, on the record twice in one post, brilliant. Gimme a break JJ, this was all over the net many hours ago, you have no GB source.

Michael82
07-23-2008, 02:44 AM
At first i laughed at this. but when u think about it, it does make sense. sure it will put Edwards on hold for a bit However this team is desperate to get to the playoffs and Farve would definitely help with that. He would also help bring sponsors aboard and would make Ralph lots of money.

X-Era
07-23-2008, 06:21 AM
I never said Buffalo is going to end up with Favre.. I said Buffalo is one of the teams that have been contacted by Green Bay and I'll get money that comes out in the next 48 hours.

To say Farve is going to ANY TEAM is 100% speculation by anybody; fan, writer, broadcaster, whatever.. My only comment about my conversation is its been established that Buffalo would ideally be the best fit, definitely for Green Bay and possibly for Farve as well.

But here is one thing I will put a paycheck up against. Farve will not be traded to Chicago or Minnesota or Detroit (whom supposedly is one of the teams contacted).. and I highly doubt he's traded to Tampa even though it "fits" nice, and probably any NFC team that could possibly come back and bite GB in a playoff game.

I know this sounds like pure Fantasy Football talk, I thought so originally as well. But I'm telling you, if Wilson ends up interested, you may see #4 in Buffalo very soon.

You also stated that EVERY AFC team was contacted. So, yes, I guess we have been contacted.

X-Era
07-23-2008, 06:26 AM
Best thread about nothing EVER.
Actually, I was surprised at how many pages of responses this could land on the main page before hitting the SPAM zone. We did a fervent job "policing" during the start of free agency why not now?

X-Era
07-23-2008, 06:34 AM
At first i laughed at this. but when u think about it, it does make sense. sure it will put Edwards on hold for a bit However this team is desperate to get to the playoffs and Farve would definitely help with that. He would also help bring sponsors aboard and would make Ralph lots of money.

Jauron is in the last year of his contract (I think), so I could see that he would want to make the playoffs, to earn his next one.

Russ is brand new, but he came from within so I cant see him wanting "his guy" at coach, rather, I could see him keeping Jauron next year because hes a known quantity and someone he now knows very well.

My point is that Jauron may be desperate for the playoffs (made more desperate due to his contract coming up). But then the FO is may be less insistant on requiring him to make it due to the fact that hes close to them.

So, bringing in Brett for one maybe twop years would only be to get into the playoffs this year next, but at the sacrifice of sustained team strength at QB... The move would stunt our QB thats in house and well liked BTW, and therefore would stunt our future.

lordofgun
07-23-2008, 07:12 AM
There's nothing wrong with a rumor or speculation as long as it is stated as such.

don137
07-23-2008, 07:27 AM
I think every knowledgeable Bills fans believes the Bills were contacted by the Packers, just like many other teams. Yes, on paper and in the Madden world it would make sense. The problem is the economics of the whole situation. This is Ralph Wilson we are talking about as owner of the Bills and not Jerry Jones or Dan Snyder. The Bills spend cash to cap and have a plan on how to spend that cap. A trade for Farve would throw a kink in their cash to cap and long term plan which must include long terming Evans and re-doing Peters contract. I can't see the Bills doing both and trading for Farve. Snyder and Jones have the resources to do it, Wilson will not do it thus making it very unlikely the Bills making the trade. Even if they trade Losman as a result to save some money.

Patrick76777
07-23-2008, 07:28 AM
So I don't see it happening but let's take a look at it.

They most likely won't trade him in the NFC. That leaves 16 teams.

No team with an established or highly touted QB is going to trade for Farve. That leaves out NE, Cincy, Pitts, Tenn, Indy, Jax, Denver, SD and probably Oakland, Houston and Cleveland.

That leaves 5 teams.

This is where it gets more subjective but Farve would probably nix any trade to a non-contender. I can't imagine that he would play with either KC or Miami. Teams that appear to be a few years away.

That leaves Baltimore, New York Jets and the Bills.

I've heard the arguement that Baltimore loves Flacco, but let's face facts, they'd take Farve in a second. And they're probably one of the best fits in the AFC.

lordofgun
07-23-2008, 07:30 AM
Favre needs to go to a team that runs the west coast offense. I think he'll end up in Tampa as they have a history of giving up picks for QBs, and Favre could step right into that offense.

Stewie
07-23-2008, 07:34 AM
So I don't see it happening but let's take a look at it.

They most likely won't trade him in the NFC. That leaves 16 teams.

No team with an established or highly touted QB is going to trade for Farve. That leaves out NE, Cincy, Pitts, Tenn, Indy, Jax, Denver, SD and probably Oakland, Houston and Cleveland.

That leaves 5 teams.

This is where it gets more subjective but Farve would probably nix any trade to a non-contender. I can't imagine that he would play with either KC or Miami. Teams that appear to be a few years away.

That leaves Baltimore, New York Jets and the Bills.

I've heard the arguement that Baltimore loves Flacco, but let's face facts, they'd take Farve in a second. And they're probably one of the best fits in the AFC.

Does anyone know what fact means anymore?

The fact is that baltimore was offered favre and turned him down. So, exactly the opposite of "they'd take him in a second" is true. They don't want him.

mayotm
07-23-2008, 07:35 AM
Would we be getting the Favre of last year:

28 TDs, 15 INTs, 95.7 rating and 3 lost fumbles

or my fear, the Favre of 2006:

18 TDs, 18 INTs, 72.7 rating and 5 lost fumbles

or even worse, the Favre of 2005:

20 TDs, 29 INTs, 70.9 rating and 7 lost fumbles. For those of you that can't add, that's 36 turnovers in 2005.

Dr. Lecter
07-23-2008, 07:40 AM

The fact is that baltimore was offered favre and turned him down. So, exactly the opposite of "they'd take him in a second" is true. They don't want him.

I am not saying the Ravens want him, but even if they did turn him down,they could be playing hard to get or trying to get him cheaply.

An initial turndown means very little.

lordofgun
07-23-2008, 07:42 AM

Explain how this is fact?

Patrick76777
07-23-2008, 07:49 AM

Dude, chill. If that's true, I wasn't aware of that.

Why the anger?

patmoran2006
07-23-2008, 07:50 AM
LOL the Bills in this Milwaukee Journal "scoop" are one of 13 teams "interested" (which I didnt say the Bills were interested, I said GB has contacted us) and that is a source.. Ummm, ok.

Forget the fact that Adam Schefter has reported GB has called teams. Or that on ESPN News late last night, they had a roundtable discussion about where Farve may end up, and Bobby Hebert, former QB turned Saints Broadcaster said Buffalo would be the best fit.

I stated one thing factual, said as much- and everything else was reported speculation. So to anybody who feels the need to take personal shots-- from the bottom of my heart, you can blow me.

patmoran2006
07-23-2008, 07:50 AM

This is a fact how?

Patrick76777
07-23-2008, 07:55 AM
So I wasn't going to tell this story because I didn't believe it. But in light of this new information, I'm going to tell the story.

But again, I don't believe that this happened.

My buddy works with a guy whose daughter works as a waiter at the Buffalo Chop House. She claims that last week, Ralph Wilson, Russ Brandon and Brett Farve came in for dinner.

Again, calm down, I didn’t believe it at the time and I still don’t believe it, but I thought I’d throw it out there.

THATHURMANATOR
07-23-2008, 07:58 AM
Don't you think that if Brett Favre was in town everyone would have known about it? Buffalo is too small a town for that to go down otherwise.

I love Favre but we would have to change our entire offense to fit him in.

Patrick76777
07-23-2008, 07:59 AM
Don't you think that if Brett Favre was in town everyone would have known about it? Buffalo is too small a town for that to go down otherwise.

I love Favre but we would have to change our entire offense to fit him in.

You don't have to convince me. I just said 4 times that I don't believe it.

mayotm
07-23-2008, 08:03 AM
LOL the Bills in this Milwaukee Journal "scoop" are one of 13 teams "interested" (which I didnt say the Bills were interested, I said GB has contacted us) and that is a source.. Ummm, ok.

Forget the fact that Adam Schefter has reported GB has called teams. Or that on ESPN News late last night, they had a roundtable discussion about where Farve may end up, and Bobby Hebert, former QB turned Saints Broadcaster said Buffalo would be the best fit.

I stated one thing factual, said as much- and everything else was reported speculation. So to anybody who feels the need to take personal shots-- from the bottom of my heart, you can blow me.
I haven't read through this entire thread, but haven't seen a bunch of personal attacks against you. That being stated, if somebody else had started this thread, Skooby for instance, you would be the first person jumping all over it. When you start a ridiculous thread, people are going to react. Deal with it.

patmoran2006
07-23-2008, 08:05 AM
Not only that...

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/2005/12/22/gallery.mondaynightmem/montana.jpg

Hey man..
Joe Montana, old and washed up, took KC to the AFC Championship his first season there and the playoffs his next.

THATHURMANATOR
07-23-2008, 08:06 AM
We are NOT going to get Favre...

lordofgun
07-23-2008, 08:10 AM
We are NOT going to get Favre...
Way to go out on a limb, thurm. :shakeno:

yordad
07-23-2008, 08:11 AM
At first i laughed at this. but when u think about it, it does make sense. sure it will put Edwards on hold for a bit However this team is desperate to get to the playoffs and Farve would definitely help with that. He would also help bring sponsors aboard and would make Ralph lots of money.Me too. Then I remembered how the Bills love to screw with young QBs heads. :fit:

THATHURMANATOR
07-23-2008, 08:11 AM
:ill:

LtBillsFan66
07-23-2008, 08:12 AM
I heard he was seen at the Chop House.

THATHURMANATOR
07-23-2008, 08:13 AM
I heard he was seen at the Chop House.
Wait Pat heard the same thing. Who is your source?

LtBillsFan66
07-23-2008, 08:14 AM
Pat.

Turf
07-23-2008, 08:17 AM
Trent Edwards is unproven and will be around for however long we want him. To not bring in Brent Favre because we're sold on Edwards in his second year is lunacy and just bad preparation from managment.
If TE had a few bad games early on, those same people will be calling for his head while meanwhile, that MVP GB QB, will be doing his usual stuff like throwing TD's and not missing games. Also TE has proven to be injury prone. Not to say Brent won't get hurt, but that it's highly doubtful Trent will play more than 10-12 games.
I'd bring Favre in a heartbeat. He's also be a cash cow for the organization in terms of the fans, viability, media draw and prime time coverage. It's a no brainer really.

Mr. Miyagi
07-23-2008, 08:19 AM
So, the whole basis of your post was a discussion with someone you call a "Packers guy"?

How many people are in the state of Wisconsin? Hundreds of Thousands

How many people have any real knowledge of the situation? maybe a dozen or so

Odds are good your Packers guy was one of the hundreds of thousands
He didn't talk to me. :idunno:

THATHURMANATOR
07-23-2008, 08:20 AM
EE I would venture to say that there may even be millions of people in Wisconsin.....

don137
07-23-2008, 08:21 AM
So I wasn't going to tell this story because I didn't believe it. But in light of this new information, I'm going to tell the story.

My buddy works with a guy whose daughter works as a waiter at the Buffalo Chop House. She claims that last week, Ralph Wilson, Russ Brandon and Brett Farve came in for dinner.

Again, calm down, I didn’t believe it at the time and I still don’t believe it, but I thought I’d throw it out there.

If GB is filiing tampering charges over a few phone calls the the Vikings OC and HC by Farve I am sure they would of filed tampering charges against the Bills as well if this was true.

Mr. Miyagi
07-23-2008, 08:29 AM
EE I would venture to say that there may even be millions of people in Wisconsin..... 5.5 million.

Half of them are big enough to be counted twice.

trapezeus
07-23-2008, 08:53 AM
the only reason that this could still be in play is that Wilson is old and may just want to win now. He really can't be worried about this team 5 years from now. Who knows if he'll be around to see it.

Someone asked about us getting bret and then trading him. I read an article that said that the packers would either ask you don't do that or put it as a clause in the trade. Whether it was legal or not, it's really not cool to trade him again to a team the pack were specifically trying to avoid. Because they'll pay that back to you when the time comes.

And my two cents are that i hate the idea of brett coming in. it just reinforces the idea that the bills have no idea what they are doing. That they'll just try any combinatino to work. At least in the current set up, the belief is that they are getting the right guys and they have a plan in place. I do believe that Trent is going to make a big step this year.

HAMMER
07-23-2008, 09:14 AM
Even if favre is traded he does not have to report. I highly doubt Buffalo is anywhere near the top of his list of places he would like to finish his illustrious career.

THATHURMANATOR
07-23-2008, 09:18 AM
Even if favre is traded he does not have to report. I highly doubt Buffalo is anywhere near the top of his list of places he would like to finish his illustrious career.
Agreed but as it was illustrated there aren't many favorable places for him to go at this point. His best bet would be for GB to just keep him and start him.

Bill Brasky
07-23-2008, 09:21 AM
The Bills are very confident with Edwards as the starter. No way this happens. Ever.

Maybe he could be roomates with Hargrove....

jamze132
07-23-2008, 09:34 AM
Athough I don't believe Favre will ever wear a Bills uniform, I would welcome him with open arms.

I believe he ends up either...

1. Staying retired

2. Playing for the Redskins

3. Playing for the Ravens

4. Playing for the Bucaneers

...in that order.

Novacane
07-23-2008, 09:55 AM
My buddy works with a guy whose daughter works as a waiter......

:rofl: Not laughing at you. That's just to funny. I think it's gonn happen now

JerseyBoofaloBills
07-23-2008, 10:19 AM

Plus we can forget that he is on the madden cover, and thats just a madden curse!!

Mr. Miyagi
07-23-2008, 10:20 AM
Pat you want to hear from a Wisconsin guy? Here's what I'm gathering from all the local news and rumbles and such.

1. The Packers don't want him back. They've moved on with Rodgers. They want him to stay retired.

2. They will NOT trade him to a division foe. Period. No chance in hell. The backlash would be too severe, public or on the field.

3. They are considering trade scenerios, Tampa is the best fit based on their offensive scheme, cap room, and interest. They're not forcing a trade with a team that Favre would not play for. That would be like TO traded to Baltimore Part Deux.

4. Everyday there is a bunch of morons out by Lambeau chanting "BRING BACK BRETT!" Try saying that fast 10 times. Whoever came up with that is an idiot.

There's your "Packer guy" source.

SABuffalo786
07-23-2008, 10:42 AM
Certainly seems like a fairy tale but if you look at the signs coming out of it - desire to go to a cold weather team, Green Bay's reluctance to trade him within the NFC, our QB situation, reputation as a promising young team...

I'd be shocked/thrilled if it did happened but not completely surprised.

El Guapo
07-23-2008, 10:54 AM
The only reason I could see Favre playing in Buffalo is that he would become a hero here. Nobody would question his abilities, the media would line up behind him and the fans are as fanatical as Green Bay fans. The cold is not a concern for him, and the small market isn't either. He is bigger than the market.

From a Bills standpoint, there are plenty of upsides to this. One, the national media would go nuts over the Bills with Favre. More exposure, more merchandising, etc... More money. How many Favre jerseys sell on the day of an announcement?

Second, it gives us veteran leadership at the position. Something we haven't had in some time.

Finally, it's Brett Freakin' Favre.

El Guapo
07-23-2008, 10:54 AM
BTW, I don't think it will happen, but it's not the worst thing that could happen to our team.

Mr. Miyagi
07-23-2008, 10:56 AM
From a Bills standpoint, there are plenty of upsides to this. One, the national media would go nuts over the Bills with Favre. More exposure, more merchandising, etc... More money. How many Favre jerseys sell on the day of an announcement?
Right on. This would be the only good reason why the Bills would consider this.

It's all nothing but a business guys.

patmoran2006
07-23-2008, 11:20 AM
Right on. This would be the only good reason why the Bills would consider this.

It's all nothing but a business guys.
The other reason could be is he's better than Trent Edwards and would be an upgrade both off and ON the field. He did throw for 4,155 yards, complete 66.5% of his passes, throw for 28 TD's and have a 95.7 QB rating last year. Those don't sound like "washed up" numbers to me.

trapezeus
07-23-2008, 11:27 AM
he reminds me of Kelly in his last year. He doesn't totally have it the way he had earlier in his career and is a little detrimental to the team. Favre really blew that NFC championship game. They were given a gift of missed fgs and he couldn't do it with the home crowd behind him. it's too bad really.

Captain gameboy
07-23-2008, 11:30 AM
I can't think of a more unusual fit than Jauron and Favre.

Regardless of what happens, once the coaching staff gave up on JP, there has been a purposeful, predictable move in the direction of Edwards, and the change in OC's and OTA actions have laid even more track in that direction.

Favre is interesting, but would require a lot more work to integrate him to us and vice versa.

I would prefer the continuity over the distraction, unless Edwards really doesn't have it.

But....Stranger things have happened.

dasaybz
07-23-2008, 12:36 PM
I don't know if this has been posted or not but:

Bob McGinn of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel has penned a column supporting the Packers’ position regarding the Brett Favre fiasco. In it, he drops all sorts of news nuggets, several of which are arguably worthy of stand-alone articles.

(The story is available right here, if you’re one of the suckers fine citizens who choose to pay for their Internet content.)

At one point, McGinn says that the Packers made a trade proposal to the Ravens, which was rejected. As we hear it, however, the Packers called the Ravens only to gauge their interest, and were told that the Ravens weren’t interested.

The asking price reportedly is a third-round pick and more, possibly a player. But with both Jason Taylor and Jeremy Shockey being traded in the past two days via packages headlined by a second-rounder, the Packers might now want at least that much for Favre.

McGinn identifies the other potentially interested teams as the Chiefs, Bills, Dolphins, Jets, Panthers, Buccaneers, Falcons, Redskins, Vikings, Bears, and Lions.

And McGinn points out that the Packers won’t give Favre permission to shop himself “[a]s long as [agent Bus] Cook is calling the shots.” This means, possibly, that if Favre were to dump Cook and hire a new agent, the team might be willing to let Favre try to find a new suitor.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

Meathead
07-23-2008, 12:58 PM
Half of them are big enough to be counted twice.
theres a comedian from wisconsin that asks 'how come guys are in love with jlo? i think its because they like her big butt. hey i come from wisconsin, land of the big butts. in wisconsin jlos butt wouldnt even be big. thats just a little starter butt. in wisconsin theyd make her put training wheels on that butt' something like that

ok i guess it was funnier live

Ingtar33
07-23-2008, 01:07 PM
i doubt it... but. i don't have anyone whispering in my ear.

I'd love to see Favre in a Bills uni. but then there is always the "cost", jp and a 3rd rounder i'd go for... anything more and i'd have a problem with it.

my money is on the chiefs.

TacklingDummy
07-23-2008, 01:50 PM
I hope Rodgers turns out to be worse than Losman.

raphael120
07-23-2008, 02:08 PM
So we're in the running for Favre with all the rest of the AFC. Whoopity doo.

If anyone,, the Redskins would be stupid enough to offer the house to Green Bay for Favre..

So we're going to trade away draft picks for Favre now? It's intriguing...I just don't see how it would play out. Getting Stroud is one thing, getting Favre is a completely different story.

trapezeus
07-23-2008, 02:18 PM
i love the idea of the packers taking JP losman. not only is losman worthless as a starting NFL QB, the packers have 3 QB's in their rotation to take Favre's place. They are even more unlikely to take him.

People here keep thinking there is value in JP. there is none. he's barely worth the backup salary that teams will show him next year.

mysticsoto
07-23-2008, 03:24 PM
From rotoworld:

The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel suggests that the Packers' shopping of Brett Favre so far may be "to satisfy Favre and the NFL and nothing else."
The NFL wants Green Bay to move on from Favre because it's a tired story, but GM Ted Thompson has to do what's best for his club. The only realistic suitor for Favre is Tampa Bay, but the Packers play the Bucs in Week 4 (in an away game). ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported Wednesday that there's a "better than 50-50 chance" that Favre will not play for any team this season.

patmoran2006
07-23-2008, 03:36 PM
comes down to how badly Favre really wants to play.

I dont see him going to TB or any NFC team that can possibly beat them in the post-season.

Can you imagine the fury with GB followers if Bret beat them in the playoffs with another team. Thompson would get hung from a tree.

I'll admit that in terms of "playoff" contenders, Buffalo is far from the top of the pack.. But i really think if he's dealt its to the AFC team; and when you factor in potential, location, need and cap room I think Buffalo is the best AFC fit, aside from maybe Baltimore (and I dont think he's going there)

I would rather him retire than go to the jets, I can tell you that much for sure.

X-Era
07-23-2008, 03:37 PM

They were either talking about food, or they were blowing through the tampering laws like Lynch through traffic (both on and off the field)

X-Era
07-23-2008, 03:39 PM
EE I would venture to say that there may even be millions of people in Wisconsin.....

True, it looks like 5.5+, I was giving the benefit of the doubt.

X-Era
07-23-2008, 03:49 PM
So the D and C writes an article saying the Bills should think about Favre, then another media eh hum, eh hum hack... I mean "outlet" says we are one of 13 "potentially" interested teams.

Does the term "potentially interested" mean that one hack agrees with another hacks idea? Isnt that media on media action (kind of like girl on girl action only with ******s)? Also known as trash reporting?

I think there's a significant difference between potentially interested and interested. I think in this case the term "potentially interested" means one tool bag in the media can fill a whole article with enough words to make some amount of sense out of a Favre to the Bills discussion.

Got REAL news, just because the media gets excited about something, doesnt mean the Bills FO does, and in NO way gives some idea potential.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080714/SPORTS0101/807140328/1011/SPORTS0101

Mr. McSwagger
07-23-2008, 04:05 PM
The addition of Farve, however unlikely, might make Lee Evans more eager to get a deal done. Also, Farve to Hardy seems to have more potential than Edwards to Hardy.

patmoran2006
07-23-2008, 08:04 PM
Looks like according to PFT there are four candidates for GB to trade with
Tampa Bay, Carolina, Washington, and Atlanta.

Sorry. Until I see it happen with my eye own eyes, I don't see them dealing Bret to a team that can come back and bite them. And with Atlanta, they suck why would Bret want to go out with a 3-4 win season?

raphael120
07-23-2008, 09:54 PM
Looks like according to PFT there are four candidates for GB to trade with
Tampa Bay, Carolina, Washington, and Atlanta.

Sorry. Until I see it happen with my eye own eyes, I don't see them dealing Bret to a team that can come back and bite them. And with Atlanta, they suck why would Bret want to go out with a 3-4 win season?

Pat, usually I agree with you on many of your points but I think to get Favre you mortgage the future. If you sign Favre, can you resign Evans? Can you work out a new deal with Peters? What about Crowell? It seems out of character for you to really be behind this Favre idea. to me, it's just as crazy as all the other threads that start with "Hey, we've heard of him, let's sign him!"

Mr. Pink
07-24-2008, 06:49 AM
Hate to break it you "favre in buffalo" guys...but that's as likely as us getting a major snowstorm today. Which is to say...ain't gonna happen.

I can guarantee you that Favre, if dealt here by the Pack would instantly retire. And that's if he doesn't have some say or sway in where he gets dealt too.

On top of the fact do you really think this owner will pay 1 guy 9 million dollars for one season?

The entire idea of Favre coming to Buffalo is laughable.

Turf
07-24-2008, 07:09 AM
Pat, usually I agree with you on many of your points but I think to get Favre you mortgage the future. If you sign Favre, can you resign Evans? Can you work out a new deal with Peters? What about Crowell? It seems out of character for you to really be behind this Favre idea. to me, it's just as crazy as all the other threads that start with "Hey, we've heard of him, let's sign him!"

I think they'd be much more likely to sign these guys with Favre here. It bring legitimacy to the franchise which everyone is looking for, specifically a leader which this team doesn't have yet.
Nontheless, it isn't going to happen anyways but fun to talk about.

acehole
07-24-2008, 07:55 AM
Bret Farve> T Edwards

get over it.

So the D and C writes an article saying the Bills should think about Favre, then another media eh hum, eh hum hack... I mean "outlet" says we are one of 13 "potentially" interested teams.

Does the term "potentially interested" mean that one hack agrees with another hacks idea? Isnt that media on media action (kind of like girl on girl action only with ******s)? Also known as trash reporting?

I think there's a significant difference between potentially interested and interested. I think in this case the term "potentially interested" means one tool bag in the media can fill a whole article with enough words to make some amount of sense out of a Favre to the Bills discussion.

Got REAL news, just because the media gets excited about something, doesnt mean the Bills FO does, and in NO way gives some idea potential.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080714/SPORTS0101/807140328/1011/SPORTS0101

THATHURMANATOR
07-24-2008, 07:57 AM
I can guarantee you that Favre, if dealt here by the Pack would instantly retire. And that's if he doesn't have some say or sway in where he gets dealt too.

I agree that we are not going to trade for him and the whole idea is crazy but I don't agree with this assesment.

acehole
07-24-2008, 07:57 AM
The idea is NOT laughable...

The probability is...

Bills would be a perfect fit as well as a challenge to Farve.

Hate to break it you "favre in buffalo" guys...but that's as likely as us getting a major snowstorm today. Which is to say...ain't gonna happen.

On top of the fact do you really think this owner will pay 1 guy 9 million dollars for one season?

acehole
07-24-2008, 07:59 AM

Farve would pay for himself...

There will be a ton more people watching our games...pack fans, nfl fans, jerseys sale alone will pay for him..this is not a problem.

Historian
07-24-2008, 10:37 AM

I agree.

raphael120
07-24-2008, 11:36 AM
Farve would pay for himself...

There will be a ton more people watching our games...pack fans, nfl fans, jerseys sale alone will pay for him..this is not a problem.

There's a salary cap and you have to work within those boundaries. I don't think we can afford Favre without cutting some people to get under the cap. Or without sacrificing Evans or someone else. Favre aint going to do **** if Evans is not here next year.

acehole
07-24-2008, 01:12 PM
There's a salary cap and you have to work within those boundaries. I don't think we can afford Favre without cutting some people to get under the cap. Or without sacrificing Evans or someone else. Favre aint going to do **** if Evans is not here next year.

We have the caps space this year...and farve would rework a deal for next to help....

Farve will pay for farve.

This is NOT a stumbling block to this deal...however unlikely to happen anyway.

patmoran2006
07-24-2008, 01:26 PM
Under the cap?
we've over the cap as much as any team in the NFL.

Having said that.. Doesnt look likely its going to happen.

Mr. Pink
07-24-2008, 04:04 PM
The idea is NOT laughable...

The probability is...

Bills would be a perfect fit as well as a challenge to Farve.

Favre at this point would want to go to a team who is a bonafide SB contender right now. That's not us. That's my point on why he would instantly retire if the Pack did deal him there.

Seventeen&0
07-24-2008, 04:10 PM

Didn't Favre make the Pro Bowl last year?? And your not impressed? Tough crowd.

X-Era
07-24-2008, 05:37 PM
Didn't Favre make the Pro Bowl last year?? And your not impressed? Tough crowd.

38 years old, not what he once was, 9 million a year, puts Edwards on hold, will only play one maybe two years... no, the thought doesnt impress me.

If we threw out all the issues and just looked at next year and only next year, would Favre be an upgrade to what we have? Yes.

Unfortunately, it isnt just as simple as getting an upgrade for one year.

realdealryan
07-24-2008, 06:05 PM
38 years old, not what he once was (6 months ago?), 9 million a year, puts Edwards on hold, will only play one maybe two years... no, the thought doesnt impress me.

If we threw out all the issues and just looked at next year and only next year, would Favre be an upgrade to what we have? Yes.

Unfortunately, it isnt just as simple as getting an upgrade for one year.

Throne Logic
07-24-2008, 06:46 PM
My God. This would be Bledsoe all over again. Not in talent level mind you. But in the hype parade that would follow him into Buffalo.

I really don't care how good Favre is or isn't at this stage. I just don't want the freakin' hype circus setting up around 1 Bills Drive.

My heart and mind are settled in for supporting Trent, for better or for worse. I'd prefer to stick with Edwards.

Throne Logic
07-24-2008, 06:48 PM
Besides, do you really want to subject all of us to the "is he going to retire" saga come February? Edwards really doesn't need that, either.