PDA

View Full Version : Farve.. "Washed up" ???

patmoran2006
07-23-2008, 11:30 AM
Just a bit of information for those who consider Bret Favre "washed up"
As a 38-year old QB last season, these were his numbers.

4,155 pass yards
66.5 completion %
28 TD's
15 INT's
95.7 QB Rating

Just keep this in mind. Jim Kelly is my favorite Bill and my favorite QB ever, period. But here's something you may or may not know.

* Farve threw for 4,155 last year.. That's more yards than Kelly ever had in a single season. And it's not like he didnt have weapons with Reed, Lofton, etc
* Favre's 66.5% completion rate is better than Kelly ever had in any one season.

* Favre's 28 TD's was beaten by Kelly only once in his career (33 in 1991)

* Favre's 15 INT's were best by Kelly 8 times.

* Favre's 95.7 passing rating was beaten by Kelly twice in his career (1990-91)

And for those who say who counter QB stats are overated, the most important number is the 13 wins Favre led his team to.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's the point. if you don't want Favre because you want the Bills to move forward with Trent Edwards, that's perfectly acceptable. I think Favre is better, but it's understandable why a fan would want to move on with Edwards. But it's unintelligent, ill-informed and flat-out stupid to say that the Bills shouldn't get after Favre because he's washed up.

His numbers as a 38-year old QB compare favorably to our own HOF QB during his prime in his best years.

In my own personal opinion, Favre gets us in the playoffs with no doubt, and also further puts this team back on the NFL relevency football map.

Ickybaluky
07-23-2008, 11:39 AM
Just to play devil's advocate, why not post his numbers from the two years prior to that?

He will turn 39 during this coming season. He still is one of the better QBs in the NFL, but he isn't the Favre of old anymore.

Romes
07-23-2008, 11:41 AM
...and he'd have to learn a new offense.

mayotm
07-23-2008, 11:42 AM
Just to play devil's advocate, why not post his numbers from the two years prior to that?

He will turn 39 during this coming season. He still is one of the better QBs in the NFL, but he isn't the Favre of old anymore.

2006:

18 TDs, 18 INTs, 72.7 rating and 5 lost fumbles

2005:

20 TDs, 29 INTs, 70.9 rating and 7 lost fumbles

OpIv37
07-23-2008, 11:47 AM
"Washed up" is a bit harsh but he's not what he once was.

Keep in mind that GB's receivers are leagues ahead of ours.

Luisito23
07-23-2008, 12:06 PM
Oh yeah, and what was his final throw as a Packer again?....:drama:

patmoran2006
07-23-2008, 12:37 PM
Where was that final throw in again? The NFC Championship game.
Compared to what the Bills have done this decade, I'll take an INT on the Bills final throw of a conference championship game.

LOL.. You have to be a real tool to downplay Bret Favre. If its being done becuase nobody expects him here and it makes it easier to deal with when he ends up elsewhere; that's fine. But if anyone is seriously suggesting this guy is washed up; the same guy who almost won the NFL MVP last year, then you seriously need to start keeping tabs on other sport, because that's one of the more ridiculous things I've ever heard. He had a year last season a lot of great QB's never have once in their career; and he's washed up? LOL

OpIv37
07-23-2008, 12:42 PM
Compared to what the Bills have done this decade, I'll take an INT on the Bills final throw of a conference championship game.

LOL.. You have to be a real tool to downplay Bret Favre. If its being done becuase nobody expects him here and it makes it easier to deal with when he ends up elsewhere; that's fine. But if anyone is seriously suggesting this guy is washed up; the same guy who almost won the NFL MVP last year, then you seriously need to start keeping tabs on other sport, because that's one of the more ridiculous things I've ever heard. He had a year last season a lot of great QB's never have once in their career; and he's washed up? LOL

Do you honestly think Favre is all it would take to get us to the NFC championship game. Favre MIGHT get us to the playoffs but we'd still get killed by the Pats, Colts or Steelers.

trapezeus
07-23-2008, 12:43 PM

I think Justa would cry tears of joy hearing me say this, but the whole teams success can't be put just on the Packers. They played in an incredbily weak division. He got upgrades in receivers the year after he had his terrible year. He has more continuity within the system than what he'd have here.

For a guy to try to replicate last year with no desire pushing him like it pushes the young guys, i think favre in buffalo will look really horrible. That being said, if he comes here, i'll drink the koolaid, root for him to pull of the story of winning it in Bufflo to stick in GB's face, and then pull a hasek and ask to be retired as a Bill in Canton.

then i'll wake up.

patmoran2006
07-23-2008, 12:45 PM
Why make any moves then if we're still going to get killed by the Pats, Colts or Chargers? You got to be in it to win it. You said it all in your first sentence.. He would get us to the playoffs.. Im not saying Edwards can't do it.. I'm saying it's more likely with a proven guy like Bret.

And you and I differ about the overall talent of the Bills. I'm in the belief that if Buffalo gets quality quarterback play they can compete with ANY team in the NFL, including the ones you stated. Our talent across the board aside from QB in my opinion is at least close to the level of any team around.

yordad
07-23-2008, 12:58 PM
We lose some ability to keep our own guys. Not something I want to do for a guy who will leave us hanging at the end of the year.

Also, Farve's strengths don't jive with what Jauron likes to do.

We have two talented young cheap QBs right now. They know the system. They have the respect of teammates.

"Washed up" may be a stretch. "Beyond his prime and near the end" might be accurate.

DrGraves
07-23-2008, 01:23 PM
keep in mind favre would have been the league mvp last year if not for brady

madness
07-23-2008, 01:47 PM
A "washed up" Farve is still better then most QBs in the NFL.

PromoTheRobot
07-23-2008, 01:48 PM
Pat, if Brett Favre is so smart, why is he calling other NFL teams with a Packers-issued cell phone? http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Brett-Favre-might-want-to-invest-in-his-own-cell?urn=nfl,95401

PTR

TacklingDummy
07-23-2008, 01:54 PM

Favre was trying to do everything for a bad Packers team. Turnovers will happen when QB's take chances.

TacklingDummy
07-23-2008, 01:55 PM
Im sorry but Trent Edwards or JP Losman is not going to lead the Bills to the playoffs next year. Brett Favre might.

raphael120
07-23-2008, 02:00 PM
Favre on the Packers will play different than Favre on the Buffalo Bills.

Packers D is better, their WRs and TE's are better. We may be up on them in the running game but I think their RB performed better than Lynch did towards the end of the season.

trapezeus
07-23-2008, 02:05 PM
Favre was trying to do everything for a bad Packers team. Turnovers will happen when QB's take chances.

So why would he be able to help a struggling Bills team? the receivers are still weaker than what he had in GB, and the level of play in the AFC east is much harder than the Packers division.

As someone who thinks JP won't be a very good QB in the NFL, i bet he'd have significantly better numbers playing in that division verse ours. So that being said, i really don't see favre walking into buffalo full of cheer and excitement, taking on a bigger challenge week in week out, with lesser receiving talent (not bagging our guys, i just think we're young in receiver and TE), and pull off the playoffs.

I think edwards has a better shot since he's more driven as a younger guy, he's already played this system last year, and i think he really has a drive to win.

Favre really has showed that he doesn't care about anyone but himself over the course of the last 5 years.

yordad
07-23-2008, 02:24 PM
Favre was trying to do everything for a bad Packers team. Turnovers will happen when QB's take chances.Um... Wait, are you advocating we sign Brett or keep JP?

TacklingDummy
07-23-2008, 02:25 PM
So why would he be able to help a struggling Bills team?

Alot of people predict the Bills to be a good team next year.
I am not one of them because I think the Bills 2 options at QB right now blow.
Favre would be a huge upgrade over the 2 QBs we have.

raphael120
07-23-2008, 02:27 PM
Another thing, do we want to deal with "drama queen" Favre after this season is over? "Uh I dunno if i wanna come back or retire again...how bout you just put the whole team on hold til I find out."

I think he's a great QB but he's pulled some jack ass moves the past few weeks. He's trying to make Green Bay the bad guy when it's all on Favre.

TacklingDummy
07-23-2008, 02:27 PM
Um... Wait, are you advocating we sign Brett or keep JP?

Trade JP for Brett.

Imagine if the Bills could have traded for Shockey and Favre. Damn, I would have cremed myself.

TacklingDummy
07-23-2008, 02:28 PM
I think he's a great QB but he's pulled some jack ass moves the past few weeks. He's trying to make Green Bay the bad guy when it's all on Favre.

I don't think there is a bad guy. There is nothing wrong with changing his mind about retirement.

trapezeus
07-23-2008, 02:28 PM
i like the bills this year more with Edwards learning his way through than with Favre who is just a premadonna at this point. If Favre came in with the zeal that Bledsoe came through and really seemed interested, i'd consider it. but for 2 years when the team still needs a few more pieces, it seems like a gamble that will make this team miss the boat.

He has shown time and time again in the twilight of his career that he's not a team player. When he struggled, he blamed the entire team and wanted to walk away. and he was very public about it. This is a headache the bills can deal without.

yordad
07-23-2008, 02:35 PM
Trade JP for Brett.

Imagine if the Bills could have traded for Shockey and Favre. Damn, I would have cremed myself.Then lost Crowell and Evans.

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

raphael120
07-23-2008, 02:43 PM
And if you complain about how JP got a raw deal because of being jerked around, how about Edwards now if Favre comes here? Trent was training and was in the mindset of him being the starter. All the confidence from the coaches and what not down the tubes.