PDA

View Full Version : Everybody’s in front of Bills’ Youboty

mysticsoto
07-23-2008, 12:26 PM
Do you think Youboty is as good as gone?

Everybody’s in front of Bills’ Youboty

The top answer to the “Family Feud” survey question “Name a Bills cornerback” would be Terrence McGee, followed by the agreeably surprising Jabari Greer, prominent draftee Leodis McKelvin, free agent pickup Will James, and finally late-round rookies Reggie Corner and Kennard Cox. Meanwhile, responding with Ashton Youboty’s name would earn you an X and no smooch from whoever is trying to do Richard Dawson’s job. Youboty’s career in Buffalo is on the line this summer, as both the team’s quality and quantity at the position have made him forgettable.

The rough fact is that Youboty, a third-round pick from Ohio State in 2006, will have to beat out some of his more prominent teammates not just to play but to even be a Bill by September. Go ahead and write McGee’s name at the depth chart’s top in pen; so does the Liberia native have a chance to pass two of the corners presently ahead of him, something he’d have to do to get on the field at all? Realistically, topping the performance of just one of the following will be tough:

http://www.realfootball365.com/index.php/articles/bills/12146

mybills
07-23-2008, 12:29 PM
yes.

OpIv37
07-23-2008, 12:29 PM
he's been a disappointment since Day 1. If he can't beat out Corner or Cox, he officially has earned the "bust" label.

trapezeus
07-23-2008, 12:44 PM
wait, but let's package him to GB with Losman for Favre and the state's cheese production.

DrGraves
07-23-2008, 01:28 PM
i hope we're done drafting ohio st db's forever.

Pinkerton Security
07-23-2008, 02:02 PM
i hope we're done drafting ohio st db's forever.

why

justasportsfan
07-23-2008, 02:03 PM
wait, but let's package him to GB with Losman for Favre and the state's cheese production.
I would do that but not for Farve.

SpillerThrills
07-23-2008, 02:04 PM
Trade him to Cleveland.......

OpIv37
07-23-2008, 02:05 PM
why

Clements= overrated and gone
Whitner=mediocre
Youboty= bust

OpIv37
07-23-2008, 02:06 PM
Trade him to Cleveland.......

yeah that would be nice, but if the Bills aren't even sure he can beat out two late round draft picks, why would Cleveland give up anything for him? If he has no value for us, he doesn't have any value for anyone else either.

Pinkerton Security
07-23-2008, 02:20 PM
Whitner=mediocre
Youboty= bust

Clements = may be overrated but is still better than McGee or anyother cb on our roster, at least right now
Whitner = above average
yoboty = bust
Winfield = very good cb

3 out of 4 db's from OSU are good players, if not better. i'll take those odds.

OpIv37
07-23-2008, 02:31 PM
Clements = may be overrated but is still better than McGee or anyother cb on our roster, at least right now
Whitner = above average
yoboty = bust
Winfield = very good cb

3 out of 4 db's from OSU are good players, if not better. i'll take those odds.

oh, forgot about Winfield. But the 2 of the 4 that are good are gone- they either suck or get too expensive to keep.

And Whitner is nothing short of mediocre. Go watch the video from the Giants game that someone posted a few days ago. He takes bad angles on runs and got burned on the two long runs by Jacobs and Bradshaw. He gets blocked by WR's. He NEVER gets his hands on the ball in the passing game and he's always a step too late to make the play.

There's a chance he could get better, but so far he's mediocre. Just check his pathetic stat line.

justasportsfan
07-23-2008, 02:38 PM
Whitner=mediocre
Youboty= bust
you were one fo the guys who overrated him by saying we won't be able to replace him.

OpIv37
07-23-2008, 02:40 PM
you were one fo the guys who overrated him by saying we won't be able to replace him.

we still haven't replaced him- that's why we drafted McKelvin this year.

justasportsfan
07-23-2008, 02:48 PM
we still haven't replaced him- that's why we drafted McKelvin this year.
I meant we will suffer with his loss or miss him . Didn't seem to have missed step last year with Greer.

OpIv37
07-23-2008, 02:50 PM
I meant we will suffer with his loss or miss him . Didn't seem to have missed step last year with Greer.

really? The #31 D didn't miss a pro bowl corner?

justasportsfan
07-23-2008, 03:19 PM
really? The #31 D didn't miss a pro bowl corner?
nope. WE missed Pat Williams. I could find a post of yours agreeing that we didn't take much of a step back with his loss.

OpIv37
07-23-2008, 03:25 PM
nope. WE missed Pat Williams. I could find a post of yours agreeing that we didn't take much of a step back with his loss.

I'm glad we didn't pay him what SF did and the step back wasn't as big as I thought it would be, that is true.

But at the same time we signed a CB in FA and drafted three CB's this off-season. That doesn't sound like a team that's not missing a CB.

patmoran2006
07-23-2008, 03:29 PM
Barring injuries he's done.

justasportsfan
07-23-2008, 03:39 PM
I'm glad we didn't pay him what SF did and the step back wasn't as big as I thought it would be, that is true..thats what I meant

But at the same time we signed a CB in FA and drafted three CB's this off-season. That doesn't sound like a team that's not missing a CB.
A mixture of need and BPA.

The Jokeman
07-23-2008, 03:44 PM
Has everyone forgot about Marlon Kerner already? He was a pretty good player and if not for injury might have had a longer career here.

baalworship
07-23-2008, 05:54 PM
Terrance McGee
Leodis McKelvin
Jabari Greer
William James
Reggie Corner

are locks.

Basically Cox, Youboty, and others fighting for the last spot.

OpIv37
07-23-2008, 08:16 PM
Terrance McGee
Leodis McKelvin
Jabari Greer
William James
Reggie Corner

are locks.

Basically Cox, Youboty, and others fighting for the last spot.

I agree on the first four but what makes you think Corner is a lock?

patmoran2006
07-23-2008, 08:41 PM
I'm not sure they go with 6 CBs either.

They'll go with 10 DBs total I think. 4 safeties (whitner, simpson, wilson, scott) and 5 CB's (mcgee, greer, mckelvin, james are locks then a 5th).. but that 10th DB spot may come down to a battle between a corner (Youboty/Corner) vs a 5th safety (Wendling)

I really dont see them keeping 11 DBs

OpIv37
07-23-2008, 08:42 PM
I'm not sure they go with 6 CBs either.

They'll go with 10 DBs total I think. 4 safeties (whitner, simpson, wilson, scott) and 5 CB's (mcgee, greer, mckelvin, james are locks then a 5th).. but that 10th DB spot may come down to a battle between a corner (Youboty/Corner) vs a 5th safety (Wendling)

I really dont see them keeping 11 DBs

wow, our depth at S sucks.

But if you're right about the rest of that, they will only keep 5 corners and Wendling will get the 10th spot for ST ability.

Mr. Pink
07-24-2008, 06:46 AM
What happened? He was a VALUE pick wasn't he? First round talent? He somehow slipped to us and we got lucky?

Pfft...there's a reason he fell to round 3 and realistically should have fallen to round 5. He simply wasn't and isn't that good.

mysticsoto
07-24-2008, 08:39 AM
wow, our depth at S sucks.

But if you're right about the rest of that, they will only keep 5 corners and Wendling will get the 10th spot for ST ability.

Our depth at safety last year had Jim Leonard. Given that, I'd say our depth is better than last year!!!

Tatonka
07-24-2008, 09:05 AM
What happened? He was a VALUE pick wasn't he? First round talent? He somehow slipped to us and we got lucky?

Pfft...there's a reason he fell to round 3 and realistically should have fallen to round 5. He simply wasn't and isn't that good.

captain hindsight.

Mr. Pink
07-24-2008, 04:08 PM
captain hindsight.

umm no, I follow Ohio State football.

He wasn't very good and why we wasted a pick on him still baffles me.

baalworship
07-24-2008, 04:41 PM
The Bills could go with less CB's but my guess is they keep 6. Corner is a lock because he was a 4th round pick. When was the last time the Bills had a player drafted not make the team in his draft year excepting the last two rounds?

John Doe
07-24-2008, 05:49 PM
Every year teams take chances on veteren players who have suffered some serious or chronic injuries in the past. This year for the Bills it is William James and Marcus Stroud.

James, a 7-year vet, had his best season in 2004:

2004 16 games 61 tackles 8 assists 0 interceptions

Since then:

2005 2 games 6 tackles 2 assists 0 interceptions

2006 3 games 6 tackles 1 assist 0 interceptions

2007 14 games 23 tackles 1 assist 1 interception

James has only 6 interceptions in his entire career - not exactly a ball-hawk.

It is not inconceivable that he could be beaten out by a younger player or he may not even make it through training camp without an injury.

Injury-plagued veteren defensive backs have not worked out well for the team in the past 2 years (think Bowens and Webster).

patmoran2006
07-24-2008, 05:56 PM
Chris Watson is in front of Youboty