PDA

View Full Version : Heres the Reason Why Mike Viti was Cut From The Bills

deathadder
07-23-2008, 07:53 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/07/23/army.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

Army grad won't get shot with Lions after change in military policy

Story Highlights

* West Point graduate was Lions' seventh-round pick
* Original policy would have allowed Campbell to serve as recruiter
* Lions president received letter from military informing of change

DETROIT (AP) -- Caleb Campbell will not get a chance to play for the Detroit Lions because of a change in military policy.

Campbell was a seventh-round draft pick for the Lions in April. At the time, Army policy would have allowed the West Point graduate to serve as a recruiter if he made the team.

But a subsequent Department of Defense policy has superseded the 2005 Army policy.

In a letter to Lions president Matt Millen dated Wednesday, U.S. Army Lt. Col. Jonathan P. Liba wrote that Campbell has been ordered to give up professional football for "full-time traditional military duties."

Liba wrote that 2nd Lt. Campbell may ask to be released from his active duty obligations in May 2010.

Liba said Campbell was allowed to enter the draft "in good faith."

Looks like now we can see why Mike Viti was cut! Your thoughts?

The Spaz
07-23-2008, 08:03 PM
I just saw this myself. Pretty ****ed up I think. I have to agree this being at least part of the reason Viti was cut.

Michael82
07-23-2008, 11:40 PM
That really blows. :ill:

DrGraves
07-24-2008, 12:15 AM

yordad
07-24-2008, 12:54 AM
This seems very unfair to the individual.

But, where do you draw the selective line and why? Is the argument "He has a small window of physical prime where he can make a lot of money and be set for life, so he should be allowed to explore non-military options"?

Because everyone would become crab fishers.

I guess I see the government not wanting to head down the slippery slope of making people exempt from the military duties they are obligated to. But, lets use some common sense. The policy was fine as it was, IMO. Let the dudes play if they can, while they can. It isn't like they couldn't probably serve better as a recruiter anyways if they were a respected NFL player.

Michael82
07-24-2008, 01:01 AM
Not to mention, it will be impossible to recruit any decent football players for the Army teams. :ill:

THATHURMANATOR
07-24-2008, 07:39 AM
No these guys signed up for the military. Why should they get special treatment. I feel bad for both but it was their choice.

Dr. Lecter
07-24-2008, 07:43 AM
Since Viti was cut before this edict and he was a longshot, I really am not sure it had any affect on him being cut.

That being said, the Army should have never made the exception in the first place for the reasons Thurm stated. Now they are being unfair by rescinding a rule they should have never created in the first place. The Lions wasted a pick and Campbell wasted time and energy in preparing for the season he can't play.

yordad
07-24-2008, 08:05 AM
No these guys signed up for the military. Why should they get special treatment. I feel bad for both but it was their choice.Thurm, that is an excellent argument. But, they could "serve" as recruiters, and they would be the best recruiters out there.

Recruiters are serving. And besides, how would like to make a choice at 18 and be stuck til you were almost thirty? And, in the mean time, say goodbye to an NFL career.

So there you are, a guy who could have been a millionaire, living the American dream, while serving as a recruiter in the prime of your life, or wasting the prime running drills with a guy who went to the military to escape a jail sentence (I am not saying a majority of people are escaping jail, just saying).

It would be very painful.

HHURRICANE
07-24-2008, 08:12 AM
Well this is pretty stupid. This is not going to encourage people to enlist.

The Spaz
07-24-2008, 08:30 AM
Besides it's not like there were a **** load of military personnel that got drafted this year there was a handful. I mean if they wanted to cancel this rule why not wait until next year?

trapezeus
07-24-2008, 08:39 AM
i understand the reasoning of why you shouldn't have exceptions, but it has been in place forever. as tough as it is to have two wars on going, i find it hard to believe that having campbell in the mix makes the US Army significantly better.

Some one else said it prior, but these are such rare exceptions. Very few army, navy airforce guys are considered draft day material. i guess if West point had OSU or Florida's program, then it'd be odd to have an exception rule. but they don't.

If they were really hell bent on making the change,it should have taken affect after this year so that the lions and campbell would have been ok.

OpIv37
07-24-2008, 08:41 AM
well, I will say this: I don't know how it works in the Army but I'm very familiar with the Marine recruiting process, and considering that they share some recruiting stations, I'm assuming it's somewhat similar.

There is no way that one person could handle recruiting duties AND the rigors of an NFL practice/game schedule. Recruiters cover either large or heavily populated geographic areas and basically have full schedules every day. They go to schools, colleges, mallls etc- they even do home visits- and they spend a lot of time cold-calling people on the phone.

I'm sure some of this would be negated by the "we can go to the recruiting station at the Walden Galleria and see a Bills player!" factor, but how many of those people would seriously be interested in the Army anyway? Anyone who's serious is going to show up whether a football player is there or not.

Captain gameboy
07-24-2008, 09:13 AM
This has nothing to do with schedule conflict.
It has everything to do with making unusual exceptions for athletes that are not made for others who have accepted and benefited from full scholarships to US military academies.

The US taxpayer spends a lot of money giving these individuals full scholarships, and they sign on and accept them knowing what the commitment is.

Things are done to accommodate them, ie., David Robinson, but the bottom line is that we have paid for this guy's college education, and we should expect a return on that investment.

The argument that it will effect recruiting down the road is a red herring.
The US military academies are not about training pro athletes, they are about training officers.

If pro sports is your wish, take another scholarship somewhere else.
Given the academic requirements, most of these kids have many other opportunities.

Dr. Lecter
07-24-2008, 09:17 AM
I agree gb, my only issue is that they made one rule that led to his drafting and then they changed it again.

They should have never made the first change and should not have taken it back with no warning.

Captain gameboy
07-24-2008, 09:27 AM
I agree gb, my only issue is that they made one rule that led to his drafting and then they changed it again.

They should have never made the first change and should not have taken it back with no warning.

I can see that you have never served in the military. jk

Change is the only constant, and immediate change is the most common change.

Seriously, I thought this entire thing was a waste from the start, and I think that those two young men probably had a similar view.

The military has its own "schedule," and for a newly commissioned officer, getting on with your career is best done in the summer months.

Its kind of set up that way.

If either of these guys had a chance at making a name in the NFL, they would have made the move as juniors, or at least earlier in their college years.
That can be done.

Better to part company now and get on with it.

Regarding Op's post, I suspect that his familiarity is with enlisted recruiters.
Newly commissioned officers involved in recruiting is something I have never seen, and I know scores of reserve officers doing just that.

OpIv37
07-24-2008, 09:33 AM
Regarding Op's post, I suspect that his familiarity is with enlisted recruiters.
Newly commissioned officers involved in recruiting is something I have never seen, and I know scores of reserve officers doing just that.

I do work more with the enlisted side than the officer side, but my involvement is after a recruiter (officer or enlisted) is already assigned to recruiting duties. The insight you're adding- and the limitation of my knowledge- is at what point in their careers officers are assigned to recruiting duty.

It does make sense that newly commissioned officers aren't immediately placed in recruiting stations.

Captain gameboy
07-24-2008, 09:41 AM
I do work more with the enlisted side than the officer side, but my involvement is after a recruiter (officer or enlisted) is already assigned to recruiting duties. The insight you're adding- and the limitation of my knowledge- is at what point in their careers officers are assigned to recruiting duty.

It does make sense that newly commissioned officers aren't immediately placed in recruiting stations.

Ya. I figured that that's where your exposure was.

It really makes no sense to use junior officers as recruiters, as they have no gravitas, (I really hate that word), to offer.

Senior enlisted folks recruit enlisted, and "stashed," (read not really going anywhere), O3's/O4's with some operational experience, recruit officers.

If you are in the left lane as an officer, you are "operating," not recruiting.

Most of the academy recruiting, which really isn't recruiting at all, is done by reserves.
It's more of a vetting process, as there are tons of applicants.

PECKERWOOD
07-24-2008, 10:13 AM
Shame on the army for this change in policy, let him live his dream and secure his future. Wow, I can't believe they just screwed him like that after his service to our country.

Captain gameboy
07-24-2008, 10:16 AM
Shame on the army for this change in policy, let him live his dream and secure his future. Wow, I can't believe they just screwed him like that after his service to our country.

What?

What service?

He hasn't done a thing.

The kid has had all of his college expenses paid for, and has done nothing but been asked to abide by an agreement.

PECKERWOOD
07-24-2008, 10:20 AM
What?

What service?

He hasn't done a thing.

The kid has had all of his college expenses paid for, and has done nothing but been asked to abide by an agreement.

He served our country by joining the military, more than what half of us are willing to do. Don't feed me some technical jargon, the military should also look out for what's in the best interest of its troops as well, Campbell will NEVER get a shot like this again and after he signs that rookie deal he would be able to cover all his college expenses in full and then some. I think it's a dick move to shatter somebody's dreams like that, along with their financial future. He would be more valuable as a recruiter anyways, the ARMY doesn't need another Tillman.

yordad
07-24-2008, 10:32 AM
What?

What service?

He hasn't done a thing.

The kid has had all of his college expenses paid for, and has done nothing but been asked to abide by an agreement.Him going onto the NFL does repay the college, in a way.

Is it possible these guys could just have there term suspended on a temporary basis? Like "OK, go live your dream and set up your fam for life. But, at 32 you have to come back".

Or, what if they could just pay for the education, more like a loan rather then an indentured servant. Like, if you can pay in full after a two year suspension of your duties, then you are free to go.

Captain gameboy
07-24-2008, 10:39 AM
He served our country by joining the military, more than what half of us are willing to do. Don't feed me some technical jargon, the military should also look out for what's in the best interest of its troops as well, Campbell will NEVER get a shot like this again and after he signs that rookie deal he would be able to cover all his college expenses in full and then some. I think it's a dick move to shatter somebody's dreams like that, along with their financial future. He would be more valuable as a recruiter anyways, the ARMY doesn't need another Tillman.

At the risk of offending you, could I ask how old you are?

PECKERWOOD
07-24-2008, 10:45 AM
At the risk of offending you, could I ask how old you are?

No, you can't. Stay on topic or don't bother talking with me.

Captain gameboy
07-24-2008, 11:02 AM
I asked the question in order to be polite.

Given your response, I see that is not a course you choose to take.

Here are some facts, although you may view them as "technical jargon."

Anyone who gets into a military academy does so at his own request.
While there is a very, very minor level of recruitment, (and that recruitment can best be summed up as, "if you want this, we can provide it"), the application usually starts with you.

Regardless, it requires Congressional sponsorship.

To get this post into something of reasonable length requires me to conclude, rather than provide volumes of info.

Kids who are legitimate pro prospects do not accept military academy awards.

Military academy students are high academic level kids who agree to serve as officers upon the completion of their totally paid for college years.

There are opportunities along the way to remove yourself from that commitment.

Compensation levels should be looked at as a complete life-long package, not as a rookie minimum signing number.
(One of my kid's best friends is a Cowboy undrafted free agent, and I know his $ package, and though I know that we are talking about draftees, the NFL is a very short term prospect, unless you are drafted in the first three rounds).

A degree from a military academy carries a huge financial benefit. Service as an officer multiplies that.

Ergo, if you are a marginal player, as these are, you would probably better your future by being an officer with an academy degree than getting cut on the last day.

Captain gameboy
07-24-2008, 11:12 AM
Him going onto the NFL does repay the college, in a way.

Is it possible these guys could just have there term suspended on a temporary basis? Like "OK, go live your dream and set up your fam for life. But, at 32 you have to come back".

Or, what if they could just pay for the education, more like a loan rather then an indentured servant. Like, if you can pay in full after a two year suspension of your duties, then you are free to go.

It doesn't work that way.

It is not a "deal."

It is a commitment, and NFL salaries at rookie mins do not set people up for life.

A degree from a military academy, followed by service, does.

blackonyx89
07-24-2008, 11:30 AM
Looks like now we can see why Mike Viti was cut! Your thoughts?

That totally sucks! Poor One Man Army Viti and I wanted him to make the team and blow up linebackers!!!

madness
07-24-2008, 12:07 PM
That's like letting somebody play the lottery "in good faith", they win and then you rescind their ticket.

"Thanks for playing!"

:rock: