PDA

View Full Version : Top Ten Reasons for Team Improvement in 2008

John Doe
07-24-2008, 04:04 PM
Nothing new here - just a summation of what every Bills fan should know by now.

10. Darian Barnes<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Barnes has been criticized as being having limited abilities, and rightfully so: he only has 14 receptions for 87 yards and 5 rushes for 10 yards in his entire 6-year career. It is a reason that he has bounced around the league. The one thing that he can do on offense is lead block – something that was sorely missing in critical third down/short yardage situations last season. He will not be in the backfield on every down, but this guy should really help grind out the key yards when needed. The “H-backs” were not getting that job done last season. Barnes is not a “chip blocker.” Of course, Barnes can also play special teams as well.

9. Kawika Mitchell
Having an upgrade at linebacker who is fresh off of a superbowl win is huge. He knows what it takes to win the big one and his confidence should rub off on the younger players. His physical style of play will not hurt either.<o:p></o:p>

8. Continuity<o:p></o:p>
The team did not lose any key players over the off-season – a rare feat in today’s NFL. Football is the ultimate team game and the more one knows the system and his fellow players, the better the team performs. This is especially true for the offensive line and the pass coverage of the linebackers and defensive backfield.<o:p></o:p>

7. Experience<o:p></o:p>
The Bills were a very young team last year. They have added some experienced players in the off-season (Barnes, Stroud, Johnson, Mitchell, James), and a big improvement should come from within the core of young players that were drafted by the Bills. Think of the typical 4-year cycle for athletes in highschool and college. The same thing applies to the pros as well. Motivated young players generally get better – it’s a fact of life. Another season of experience should really have helped the second and third year players on the Bills including Edwards, Lynch, Wright, <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City><st1:place>Butler</st1:place></st1:City>, McCargo, Williams, Ellison, Pozlusny, DiGiogio, Whitner, Simpson, Wendling, Wilson, Schouman, and Youboty. True, a player like Poz did not get much game time, but just being able to participate in training camp and to learn on the sideline is invaluable.<o:p></o:p>

6. The Rookies<o:p></o:p>
Look for some of the Draftees will make an impact in their first year because they will have a lot of opportunities to do so. The prime candidates are, of course James Hardy, Leodis McKelvin, Chris Ellis, and Derek Fine – 4 of the top 5 picks. There is a lot more pressure on Hardy than anyone else – he must contribute, especially in the red zone. The player that he actually replaces on the roster is Sam Aiken who only had 1 reception for 10 yards last year, so it should not be too difficult for him to improve the receiving corps. McKelvin and Ellis need to produce too. Having a superb one on one defender like McKelvin should allow a player like Whitner to have a lot more flexibility in the defensive scheme. It is no wonder why he is trying to get McKelvin up to speed as soon as possible. The added depth at kick returner is another thing that McKelvin brings to the table. Derek Fine immediately becomes one of the most versatile players on the roster: he will get work at tight end, H-back, and all special teams units. If physically able, he should be on the active game-day roster every Sunday. He looks like an upgrade over Gaines by far. Hopefully, Ellis will offer some depth at defensive end.<o:p></o:p>

5. The new tackles<o:p></o:p>
Marcus Stroud and Spencer Johnson replace Larry Triplett and (probably) Jason Jefferson as well. That is a huge upgrade in the trenches. Enough said.<o:p></o:p>

4. Turk Schonert<o:p></o:p>
There is some speculation that Schonert may not be the man for the job – but there are plenty of reasons to believe that he will be a big upgrade over Steve Fairchild. Schonert has been around some great football minds in his time: he played for Bill Walsh in college, played under Lindy Infante in <st1:City><st1:place>Cincinnati</st1:place></st1:City>, and coached under Sam Wyche. He is a bright guy, highly motivated to make good on his chance to run an offense, and he knows the abilities of the players. Of course, one of the reasons to think that Schonert will be an upgrade was the rigid offensive philosophy of the departed Fairchild himself.<o:p></o:p>

3. Health<o:p></o:p>
Nobody believes that the team will go through a full season without some serious injuries, but it is unlikely that we will see a season quite like 2007. It took some key players out of action almost immediately including Everett, Poz, and Simpson. Everyone knows about the many players who ended up on injured reserve, but the walking wounded were a factor as well. Kelsay and Royal gutted through injuries that needed surgery immediately after the season. Denny had surgery and came back too soon requiring another operation later in the same season. Aaron Schobel certainly could have used some healthy legs on the other side of the line. Keith Ellison was a star of training camp until he got hit with the “dreaded high ankle sprain.” He was not the same the rest of the season. There has been some criticism of the “injury excuse” of last year because more than a few of the injured reserve players were scrubs. See the comments about “continuity.”<o:p></o:p>

2. Trent Edwards<o:p></o:p>
Aside from the valuable experience that he gained last season, Edwards enters this year as the undisputed starter at QB. He will get the lion’s share of the reps in practice – a big change from last pre-season when he came into camp as #3 on the depth chart. He also gets an offense tailored to his strengths, has the opportunity to change his primary receiver on passing downs, and he gets to call audibles as well. Last, but not least, he is bigger and stronger than last year as well. He may not be an all-star, but he should be significantly better than last year and that alone should make the offense much better.
And, finally…<o:p></o:p>
1. Trent Edwards (again)<o:p></o:p>
His improvement will have such an impact on the team this year that he deserves to be mentioned twice. It's a quarterback's league.

Philagape
07-24-2008, 04:20 PM
Post of the summer (so far)

OpIv37
07-24-2008, 04:43 PM
10. Agreed- no real FB's last year.

9. Agreed- Mitchell is a huge upgrade over Ellison.

8. Disagree. When the team is 7-9, 31st in D and 30th in O, continuity isn't necessarily a good thing. We did get some talent on D, but we still need more talent on O.

7. Semi- agree. The experience on D in terms of our guys and the new talent brought in should help. The experience on O will help some but not enough. Remember, this team lost its last 3 games this year- if that experience argument is to hold water, they should have improved instead of hitting a wall. I don't know why everyone is so keen on experience, especially with Jauron cancelling practices and running another easy camp.

6. Semi- agree. I think that we will get contributions from Hardy, McKelvin and Ellis, however, it's too early to tell what degree of contributions those will be.

5. Completely agree. This is by far the most important upgrade this team made this off-season. The only real question is Stroud's health.

4. Neutral. Getting rid of Fairchild is a definite plus, but Schonert is completely unproven. Also, he's been the Bills QB coach and our QB's have been less than stellar under his tenure. So, like the rookies, it's tough to tell how this will affect the team.

3. Agree, provided we can stay healthy this year. Getting Poz back is huge. Simpson needs to up his game but he's still better than Wilson or Leonard.

1&2. Semi-agree. I think Trent will improve, but he'll improve as the season goes on, and who knows what kind of hole we'll be in at that point? In addition, it's highly unlikely that he'll improve enough in ONE YEAR to bring the #30 O up to playoff level, especially with no TE and limited receivers.

Mitchy moo
07-24-2008, 05:20 PM
1&2. Semi-agree. I think Trent will improve, but he'll improve as the season goes on, and who knows what kind of hole we'll be in at that point? In addition, it's highly unlikely that he'll improve enough in ONE YEAR to bring the #30 O up to playoff level, especially with no TE and limited receivers.

They never called a play to throw to a TE last season, so we really don't know what we have yet.

yordad
07-24-2008, 05:26 PM
Looks good. I would probably have a different order, but it gets the point across. How some don't anticipate us being improved is beyond me.

patmoran2006
07-24-2008, 05:34 PM
Nothing new here - just a summation of what every Bills fan should know by now.

10. Darian Barnes<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Barnes has been criticized as being having limited abilities, and rightfully so: he only has 14 receptions for 87 yards and 5 rushes for 10 yards in his entire 6-year career. It is a reason that he has bounced around the league. The one thing that he can do on offense is lead block – something that was sorely missing in critical third down/short yardage situations last season. He will not be in the backfield on every down, but this guy should really help grind out the key yards when needed. The “H-backs” were not getting that job done last season. Barnes is not a “chip blocker.” Of course, Barnes can also play special teams as well.
I personally don't think he's going to matter.

9. Kawika Mitchell
Having an upgrade at linebacker who is fresh off of a superbowl win is huge. He knows what it takes to win the big one and his confidence should rub off on the younger players. His physical style of play will not hurt either.
He won't be spectacular.. I hope he's not another Posey type of signing for us. I don't think he'll be great, but I think he'll do his job and rub off on others like you said, and worse case he's still a lot better than Ellison.

The team did not lose any key players over the off-season – a rare feat in today’s NFL. Football is the ultimate team game and the more one knows the system and his fellow players, the better the team performs. This is especially true for the offensive line and the pass coverage of the linebackers and defensive backfield.
This is HUGE, especially on the OL. But one major injury and BAM that's gone. I disagree about the LB's and DB's though.. Simpson and especially Poz are still almost like rookies, and McKelvin is one.

The Bills were a very young team last year. They have added some experienced players in the off-season (Barnes, Stroud, Johnson, Mitchell, James), and a big improvement should come from within the core of young players that were drafted by the Bills. Think of the typical 4-year cycle for athletes in highschool and college. The same thing applies to the pros as well. Motivated young players generally get better – it’s a fact of life. Another season of experience should really have helped the second and third year players on the Bills including Edwards, Lynch, Wright, <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City><st1:place>Butler</st1:place></st1:City>, McCargo, Williams, Ellison, Pozlusny, DiGiogio, Whitner, Simpson, Wendling, Wilson, Schouman, and Youboty. True, a player like Poz did not get much game time, but just being able to participate in training camp and to learn on the sideline is invaluable.
This should be #1. They are learning how to win right now, that can't be understated. They'll be better prepared in tighter games and hopefully dont choke a few away like they did against Denver and Dallas.

Look for some of the Draftees will make an impact in their first year because they will have a lot of opportunities to do so. The prime candidates are, of course James Hardy, Leodis McKelvin, Chris Ellis, and Derek Fine – 4 of the top 5 picks. There is a lot more pressure on Hardy than anyone else – he must contribute, especially in the red zone. The player that he actually replaces on the roster is Sam Aiken who only had 1 reception for 10 yards last year, so it should not be too difficult for him to improve the receiving corps. McKelvin and Ellis need to produce too. Having a superb one on one defender like McKelvin should allow a player like Whitner to have a lot more flexibility in the defensive scheme. It is no wonder why he is trying to get McKelvin up to speed as soon as possible. The added depth at kick returner is another thing that McKelvin brings to the table. Derek Fine immediately becomes one of the most versatile players on the roster: he will get work at tight end, H-back, and all special teams units. If physically able, he should be on the active game-day roster every Sunday. He looks like an upgrade over Gaines by far. Hopefully, Ellis will offer some depth at defensive end.
I don't expect a lot from our rooks other than hopefully Hardy. I don't expect Leodis to even play all that much as a rookie. He'll contribute sure, but I dont think he'll have the type of year Reevis did for NYJ last year. Ellis is our 4th DE barring injury. The rest, I expect little if anything. LET ME SAY THIS, I like this draft overall- just dont think they'll be instant stars is all I'm saying. But I do think Hardy can impact right away.

Marcus Stroud and Spencer Johnson replace Larry Triplett and (probably) Jason Jefferson as well. That is a huge upgrade in the trenches. Enough said.
These two moves could possibly mean the difference in 2-3 wins. A better front four makes the entire defense better. Our team rankings should improve this year a lot.

There is some speculation that Schonert may not be the man for the job – but there are plenty of reasons to believe that he will be a big upgrade over Steve Fairchild. Schonert has been around some great football minds in his time: he played for Bill Walsh in college, played under Lindy Infante in <st1:City><st1:place>Cincinnati</st1:place></st1:City>, and coached under Sam Wyche. He is a bright guy, highly motivated to make good on his chance to run an offense, and he knows the abilities of the players. Of course, one of the reasons to think that Schonert will be an upgrade was the rigid offensive philosophy of the departed Fairchild himself.
I will believe he's good when I see it. Turk talks a lot and that is great, but so did JP Losman. So does Whitner.. I want to see the difference on game day.. The good news is he cant possibly by worse than Fairchild.

Nobody believes that the team will go through a full season without some serious injuries, but it is unlikely that we will see a season quite like 2007. It took some key players out of action almost immediately including Everett, Poz, and Simpson. Everyone knows about the many players who ended up on injured reserve, but the walking wounded were a factor as well. Kelsay and Royal gutted through injuries that needed surgery immediately after the season. Denny had surgery and came back too soon requiring another operation later in the same season. Aaron Schobel certainly could have used some healthy legs on the other side of the line. Keith Ellison was a star of training camp until he got hit with the “dreaded high ankle sprain.” He was not the same the rest of the season. There has been some criticism of the “injury excuse” of last year because more than a few of the injured reserve players were scrubs. See the comments about “continuity.”
There are 32 teams that would have "health" on their list.. Its of great importance to us and everyone else. I will say that this year we have far better and more experienced depth than last year, thats a good thing.

Aside from the valuable experience that he gained last season, Edwards enters this year as the undisputed starter at QB. He will get the lion’s share of the reps in practice – a big change from last pre-season when he came into camp as #3 on the depth chart. He also gets an offense tailored to his strengths, has the opportunity to change his primary receiver on passing downs, and he gets to call audibles as well. Last, but not least, he is bigger and stronger than last year as well. He may not be an all-star, but he should be significantly better than last year and that alone should make the offense much better.
And, finally…
(coming)<o:p></o:p>
1. Trent Edwards (again)<o:p></o:p>
His improvement will have such an impact on the team this year that he deserves to be mentioned twice. It's a quarterback's league.
Way to sum it up. You're right. Ultimately, it comes down to QB play on this team.. We're not winning 10 games on defense, and Lynch will see 8 man fronts until teams have to respect our passing game. This season is on Trent at the end of the day.

I commented above on your points specifically, and would like to make one of my own. There are probably 10 reasons for almost every team in the league on why they should be improved. Buffalo is clearly better this year, but so are a lot of other teams.

I think we're in a DOG FIGHT with the Jets for second in the division and possibly that 6th playoff spot.

The Jets improved big time as well... Woody and especially Faneca will help their offensive line alot, joined with Mangold (stud) and Brick (jury still out).

Their defense is stacked with talent. I think David Harris is the future BEST inside linebacker in the NFL, period. Reevis was star as a rookie, Rhodes is one of the best safeties in the league. Getting Jenkins at DT is as valuable to them as STroud to us, and they drafted a potential horse in Vernon Gholsten, who some had as a better player than Chris Long.

Mr. Pink
07-24-2008, 05:40 PM
10. Darian Barnes<o:p></o:p>
I agree on this guy just with his leadblock abilities. Any runs up the middle require us to have a decent to good lead blocker seeing Fowler absolutely sucks at lead blocking. I've made the point in the past the reason our run game is nothing world burning because of this. Barnes should help us out in this aspect of the offense however I wouldn't expect anything more out of him.

9. Kawika Mitchell
Somewhat agree. It's good to have a guy who has that playoff and winning experience. Talent wise though I'm not sure it's an upgrade, more a lateral move. But overall wise he is an upgrade because of the intangibles he brings to the table.<o:p></o:p>

Agree on the concept, disagree in terms of our team. Unfortunately we kept some dead weight. Fowler, Royal, Denney for starters...When you keep mediocre guys around continuity doesn't help advance you forward it keeps you spinning your wheels.<o:p></o:p>

Problem is the guys we NEEDED to get experience didn't, because of the injury bug. Ko is basically now a 3rd year rookie, Poz a 2nd year rookie. Trent getting some playing time is HUGE though. And again, a bunch of guys that shouldn't be contributors on D got experience, Wendling, Youboty for example.<o:p></o:p>

Leodis should make an immediate impact to this team, completely agree on him. Rookie WRs are a tough one, most don't do a lot of anything as a rookie. Ellis will likely just spell Schoebel and Fine? I wouldn't expect much out of him as a rookie. So 1 of the rookies I expect to make a splash, it would be nice if we can get 2 though.<o:p></o:p>

Complete agreement here, our rush and pass D should benefit with the additions. As long as Stroud stays healthy.<o:p></o:p>

He's been around the NFL block as a QB coach and every QB under his tutelage has failed...and failed miserably. Starting with Vinny Interceptaverde in Tampa. Time will tell if he's a better OC than QB coach...and he better be or this offense is gonna be putrid.<o:p></o:p>

Agree- no way in hell does the injury bug bite as hard this season.

Fully agree here. If he can build upon what he did last year we'll be in ok shape offensively. Good play from the QB elevates the play of the players around him. Hopefully Schonert doesn't hold him back in the offensive calls.

Just my two cents.

shelby
07-24-2008, 05:40 PM
Very well thought out post, thanks!