PDA

View Full Version : No Wonder the Bengals suck at the Draft!

Gunzlingr
04-24-2003, 11:58 AM
http://espn-ak.starwave.com/media/nfl/2003/0424/photo/a_bengals_ft.jpg

Is this kid Mike Brown's grandson or what is the deal?

venis2k1
04-24-2003, 12:02 PM
I hear they are just gonna throw a dart at a list of prospects this year.

HenryRules
04-24-2003, 12:09 PM
No decisions are made at MSG for any team. While not liking the organization, good for them to let the kid have some fun.

TigerJ
04-24-2003, 09:44 PM
Isn't that the new scouting staff they hired this year (the one holding the phone)?

WCoastFin
04-24-2003, 11:30 PM
Hey Ive spotted the Red-headed stepchild....but whats he doing on the Bengals???...was he traded from the Jets???...mustve borrowed em for this draft.

northernbillfan
04-24-2003, 11:37 PM
Mike brown has hired amonkey to spin a wheel and make the selections

Ingtar33
04-24-2003, 11:43 PM
I thought he just bought a copy of Mel K's draft guide...

Dannyboy
04-24-2003, 11:55 PM
My kid could do it. drunk. :drunks: :drinker: :boozer: :beer: :idunno:

The Spaz
04-25-2003, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by Ingtar33
I thought he just bought a copy of Mel K's draft guide...

So did I so? If Mel Kiper sucks so bad he wouldn't have been around for 20 + years. The guy knows the players he just does bad mock drafts. I don't care about mock drafts really there just for fun and noone ever gets them 100% correct. Go Bills!

Ingtar33
04-25-2003, 12:25 AM
lol,

Calm down spaz... us scout love picking on him for no better reason than he is on TV. Sometimes he really is right on, sometimes you can tell he doesn't know what he's talking about. You're right, he knows more about this than most, he just has the misfortune of being very visible, and having funny hair ;)

I was just quoting a favorite joke about the Bengals draft strategy… its an old one, I don’t even know who first said it, and I do know Mel K has heard it before (been around too long for him not to have).

Actually, the only time I ever hear about anything Mel K has said or did is when he says something stupid (which usually goes up on the bulletin board at the office) or it’s quoted here.

For example, he didn’t like David Carr last year because Carr took an “extra” step while pulling out from under center and threw almost sidearm. Both are very, very minor problems, in fact his wasted step was already coached out of him be the time the regular season rolled around. Was Mel K wrong in his assessment? No, in fact he was about the only guy I heard make that observation (outside of scouting circles). But the reason why he was made fun of was because he put so much faith into these things being “incurable” deficiencies. From what I can see, Mel K tends to overlook on field results and focus too much on the small things (40 times, reps, etc…).

The_Philster
04-25-2003, 05:20 AM
Originally posted by Ingtar33
But the reason why he was made fun of was because he put so much faith into these things being “incurable” deficiencies. From what I can see, Mel K tends to overlook on field results and focus too much on the small things (40 times, reps, etc…).

Sometimes these deficiencies take longer to work out than others. Remember Kerry Collins had that extra hitch in his delivery? That took a few years to work out if I remember correctly.

Captain gameboy
04-25-2003, 05:27 AM
I like Kiper 'cause he has a lot of rapid info available when a pick is made, and it makes the draft more enjoyable to watch. Actually, if it wasn't for that- it would be brutal.
I never thought he had real predictive value though.
He really did beat the heck out of the Carr sidearm thing last year, you'd have thought the kid had leprosy or something.