PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Salary Cap

tat2dmike77
07-24-2008, 11:10 PM
I'm just wondering with all the signings going today in the NFL. How many of you would be in support of a rookie salary cap?

With the way teams are throwing cash at young players fresh out of college it makes me wonder where will it end? Jake Long who has never played a NFL down in his life is now the highest paid O-Lineman in league history.

I also wonder to if teams dread getting a high pick because they know the salary that comes with the pick. Maybe it's just me i don't know but i think a proven veteran should make more then a rookie who may or may not be a bust. Remember nothing is a sure thing in the NFL Kijana Carter anyone i could go on and on about that list of the so called sure things that have come and gone.

Plus when you think about it. Giving these rookies these high amounts of guarenteed monies it tells them that if you play well in college then you will be set right off the bat. I'm not saying that these guys don't deserve to get paid cause they do. But i do think they need to have some sort of cap that keep thier salaries affordable for teams.

But really will there ever be a rookie salary cap. If Gene Upshaw has his way most likely not.

LtFinFan66
07-24-2008, 11:33 PM
Most definitely!!!!!!!!!!

tat2dmike77
07-24-2008, 11:43 PM
Most definitely!!!!!!!!!!

Why does it not surprise me coming from you. What did long get 30 Mill guarenteed or something around there. I mean hell the guy has yet to play a down.

LtFinFan66
07-25-2008, 12:58 AM
Exactly

clumping platelets
07-25-2008, 01:19 AM
There is already a rookie salary cap

LtFinFan66
07-25-2008, 01:21 AM
There's a rookie salary pool right....not a cap?

clumping platelets
07-25-2008, 01:30 AM
It's a cap because it limits how much you can spend

LtFinFan66
07-25-2008, 01:42 AM
Well I am thinking that he means there should be max amounts a rookie can make like the NBA has

clumping platelets
07-25-2008, 01:53 AM
I agree that there should be adjustments made to the existing rookie cap

tat2dmike77
07-28-2008, 03:14 PM
Well I am thinking that he means there should be max amounts a rookie can make like the NBA has

Yup

OpIv37
07-28-2008, 03:34 PM
Matt Ryan's contract is even worse. He makes more than Tom Brady and almost as much as Peyton Manning and he hasn't proved a damn thing in the NFL yet.

We absolutely need a rookie salary cap. It's far too risky for teams to be paying guys this kind of bank before they've proven anything. A bad first round pick basically dooms a team to failure for several years until they can recover the cap space.

tat2dmike77
07-30-2008, 02:00 PM
Matt Ryan's contract is even worse. He makes more than Tom Brady and almost as much as Peyton Manning and he hasn't proved a damn thing in the NFL yet.

We absolutely need a rookie salary cap. It's far too risky for teams to be paying guys this kind of bank before they've proven anything. A bad first round pick basically dooms a team to failure for several years until they can recover the cap space.

You can't tell Gene Upshaw that. He views it as taking money away from players what a goon.