OpIv37
07-25-2008, 07:57 AM
per V-text

The Spaz
07-25-2008, 07:59 AM
Correct and he is indeed getting fined.

ddaryl
07-25-2008, 08:02 AM
the fines are complete friggin joke... they'll write those off in the end and he won;t pay a cent.

if the Bills force him to pay the fines and he doesn't get a contract that repays those fines he'll just sit out and force us to trade him.

seriously fining a player has absolutly no effect...

but I'm serioulsy starting to believe Peters doesn't want to play for the Bills, or there is something else happening behind the scenes here. None of this makes much sense to me.

BuffaloBillsStampede
07-25-2008, 08:03 AM
What an ass. I can see his point, but come on man you've got three years left on your contract with one year of good play. This team made you what you are and you shwo no loyalty. How does he not realize that getting Lee Evans signed up is top priority right now?

OpIv37
07-25-2008, 08:03 AM
but I'm serioulsy starting to believe Peters doesn't want to play for the Bills, or there is something else happening behind the scenes here. None of this makes much sense to me.

I was wondering the same thing. Assuming Russ Brandon is telling the truth, why would Peters not even be talking to the team? And I doubt it's his agent, because the same guy represents Hardy and they got a deal done with him yesterday and got him to camp in time.

Ickybaluky
07-25-2008, 08:04 AM

I don't think that is true at all. It is just about money. As a franchise LT he can get big dollars ($10M per year). He is using his leverage to get that money. He doesn't care whether it is fair to the team or not, he sees a big payday. It is just business.

hydro
07-25-2008, 08:05 AM
Wow the ledge is pretty crowded today...

OpIv37
07-25-2008, 08:05 AM
I don't think that is true at all. It is just about money. As a franchise LT he can get big dollars ($10M per year). He is using his leverage to get that money. He doesn't care whether it is fair to the team or not, he sees a big payday. It is just business.

I see the business angle, but the Bills' FO said yesterday that he's not even talking to the team. Now, maybe I'm crazy, but it seems to me that if you want an employer to pay you millions more than the millions you already make, step 1 is TALKING to them about it.

Dujek
07-25-2008, 08:07 AM
I'm now slightly concerned, but only slightly.

If it carries on beyond the 8th August or so I'll start worrying.

Ickybaluky
07-25-2008, 08:09 AM
I see the business angle, but the Bills' FO said yesterday that he's not even talking to the team. Now, maybe I'm crazy, but it seems to me that if you want an employer to pay you millions more than the millions you already make, step 1 is TALKING to them about it.

That is probably just negotiating in the press, or part of the strategy. Parker isn't in any hurry, because he wants them to sweat. Besides, the Bills might not be telling the complete truth. They are negotiating as well, and teams aren't afraid to use the press in negotiations.

Parker has a history of holdouts. He likes to create holdouts because he thinks the pressure makes it easier for him to get a new deal. He does it even when he doesn't have an elite player sometimes, like he did with Cedric Benson as a rookie.

It really comes down to money.

OpIv37
07-25-2008, 08:11 AM
great, now we have at least two players represented by Drew Rosenhaus, Jr.

Ickybaluky
07-25-2008, 08:14 AM
I'm now slightly concerned, but only slightly.

If it carries on beyond the 8th August or so I'll start worrying.

I don't think it is a big deal. Peters has been there a few years so he can come into camp late and it really won't matter. If it stretches into the season it obviously is a problem, but that is a long way away.

I'd be willing to bet Peters gets his new contract at some point, or at least a little more money this year with a promise to address his contract the following year.

When Richard Seymour (another Parker client) had 2 years left on his rookie deal, he stayed away from all team functions in the offseason (including mandatory minicamp) and threatened to holdout. The Pats gave him a couple million dollars more that year to report, with the promise they would address the issue after the season. The following season, Seymour again didn't report to offseason functions, but prior to camp he agreed with the team on an extension that made him the highest paid DL in the game at the time.

I'd bet you see something similar with Peters. The Bills will throw him some money to get him to report, then sign him to an extension next year.

Ickybaluky
07-25-2008, 08:15 AM
great, now we have at least two players represented by Drew Rosenhaus, Jr.

Say what you want about Rosenhaus, but his players rarely hold out. They make a big stink and act like asses, but in the end they usually report. He doesn't like holdouts.

Philagape
07-25-2008, 08:22 AM
The fines are peanuts compared to what he's going to get paid eventually. Not a factor at all.

Tatonka
07-25-2008, 08:25 AM
i would do the same thing if i was peters.. but that being said.. it pisses me off that with 3 years left, he thinks he can do this.. he just signed the other deal.. i am also worried that he holds out all through training camp and then comes in and gets hurt.. that happens all the time.

Mitchy moo
07-25-2008, 08:29 AM
What an ass. I can see his point, but come on man you've got three years left on your contract with one year of good play. This team made you what you are and you shwo no loyalty. How does he not realize that getting Lee Evans signed up is top priority right now?

What happens if Peters gets better at LT this year?? What's he worth then??

ddaryl
07-25-2008, 08:30 AM

possibly...

but there wasn't much dialog through the offseason. most everything was journalism speculation. Peters never said he would sit out the season before today, so why wait till the last minute.

I don't support the player in these cases. you signed a contract, you took the chance. Peters could have easily said no to the extension he was offered a couple years back and waited for his day.

Peters is worth more, but players these days get guarenteed money in their contract that protects them. The teams have nothing to ensure they get what they paid for.

I do not support Peters on this one. I think he is great and I thing the Bills are screwed withut him, but I do not support his demands.

This is the kind of **** that is going to make the next CBA and ugly one

mysticsoto
07-25-2008, 08:33 AM
I don't think it is a big deal. Peters has been there a few years so he can come into camp late and it really won't matter. If it stretches into the season it obviously is a problem, but that is a long way away.

I'd be willing to bet Peters gets his new contract at some point, or at least a little more money this year with a promise to address his contract the following year.

When Richard Seymour (another Parker client) had 2 years left on his rookie deal, he stayed away from all team functions in the offseason (including mandatory minicamp) and threatened to holdout. The Pats gave him a couple million dollars more that year to report, with the promise they would address the issue after the season. The following season, Seymour again didn't report to offseason functions, but prior to camp he agreed with the team on an extension that made him the highest paid DL in the game at the time.

I'd bet you see something similar with Peters. The Bills will throw him some money to get him to report, then sign him to an extension next year.

I'd agree with the above. The Oline will not be changing much in terms of who is running it or what they will do. I think Peters will be fine even if he's late. I actually welcome Kirk Chambers getting more practice - last year he sucked and he needs to develop more. Considering how getting extra time and playing with the team has apparently helped Schouman develop more, I'd welcome Chambers developing more at Tackle in case he is needed.

HHURRICANE
07-25-2008, 08:41 AM
I'm going to defend Peters.

He is the best player on the team!! PERIOD.

When you give stupid contracts to Kelsay and Schobel there is no way he can sit there and not go for a raise.

Since LT is probably the most important position on the line, and he has the potential to be the best LT in the league, than the Bills need to get their checkbook out and make this right.

OpIv37
07-25-2008, 08:47 AM
I'm going to defend Peters.

He is the best player on the team!! PERIOD.

When you give stupid contracts to Kelsay and Schobel there is no way he can sit there and not go for a raise.

Since LT is probably the most important position on the line, and he has the potential to be the best LT in the league, than the Bills need to get their checkbook out and make this right.

I don't blame him for wanting more money. However, I'm not a big fan of his methods. I don't know why he can't show up at camp and still negotiate a contract.

Philagape
07-25-2008, 08:48 AM
Jason, report.

Bills, pay him.

HHURRICANE
07-25-2008, 08:49 AM
I don't blame him for wanting more money. However, I'm not a big fan of his methods. I don't know why he can't show up at camp and still negotiate a contract.

Probably because the Bills weren't renegotiating. He has to get them to the table first.

OpIv37
07-25-2008, 09:01 AM
Probably because the Bills weren't renegotiating. He has to get them to the table first.

given this team's history, that wouldn't surprise me.

Both sides are pissing me off. Peters is acting like an ass and hurting the team by not showing up. No one forced him to sign the contract.

But in his defense, he's grossly underpaid for a top-tier left tackle and the Bills expect him to just roll over and take it. Sometimes I swear the Bills are trying to win and get top talent at bargain prices and it never works. As- *gulp- FTP pointed out yesterday, the Bills can cut Peters (or anyone else) at any time with no obligation, yet the players are expected to honor the contracts even when they outperform the contracts.