• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Peters theory

Several people mentioned the "precedent" factor- the Bills don't want to start a precedent of signing guys who have 3 years left on their contract because they hold out.

So, maybe the Bills are going to give him his contract, but they're going to make him sweat it out and fine him for a week or two first. The money may not mean much to Peters, but it may to other players considering the same thing. Basically the Bills don't want to look like they buckled- it's a form of playing hardball.

I'm hoping this is what they're doing and they'll give Peters his contract after they hit him with some fines.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Re: Peters theory

btw I don't have any rich friends or inside sources and I'm not a junior journalist. This is pure speculation on my part- nothing more.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• RockStar36
      Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
      • Sep 2004

I applaud the Bills FO for taking this stance with Peters.

D & S Sports

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by RockStar36
        I applaud the Bills FO for taking this stance with Peters.
        Why?

The Bills are trying to get top talent without paying market rate. They want a BMW for the price of a Hyundai.

And if Peters isn't on the field when the games start, this team is significantly worse. Will you still be applauding the front office when Trent Edwards spends the entire game on his back and Marshawn averages 2.9 YPC?
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• RockStar36
          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by OpIv37
          Why?

The Bills are trying to get top talent without paying market rate. They want a BMW for the price of a Hyundai.

And if Peters isn't on the field when the games start, this team is significantly worse. Will you still be applauding the front office when Trent Edwards spends the entire game on his back and Marshawn averages 2.9 YPC?
          Because...The Bills gave him a chance, they rewarded him with a long term deal, and he is turning around and crying about it after one pro bowl season. He isn't showing up to any OTA's or anything. I hate players that hold out.

So are the Bills just supposed to bend at the will of any player. Maybe Peters should take a lesson from Lee Evans and come to practice and work from that point. I'm sure the Bills would be willing to work with him but why would they want to work with and reward a guy who isn't even going to show up.

And if he wants to sit out the season, so be it. I hope the Bills keep him all three years and his career turns to ****.

D & S Sports

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by RockStar36
            Because...The Bills gave him a chance, they rewarded him with a long term deal, and he is turning around and crying about it after one pro bowl season. He isn't showing up to any OTA's or anything. I hate players that hold out.

So are the Bills just supposed to bend at the will of any player. Maybe Peters should take a lesson from Lee Evans and come to practice and work from that point. I'm sure the Bills would be willing to work with him but why would they want to work with and reward a guy who isn't even going to show up.

And if he wants to sit out the season, so be it. I hope the Bills keep him all three years and his career turns to ****.
            Peters isn't just any player. He's a Pro Bowl left tackle. He's also grossly outperforming his contract. What should he do? Just accept the fact that he's underpaid? How many of us would accept that in our jobs? The Bills can cut Peters at any time with no obligation, but Peters should be expected to just accept being underpaid?

I don't like the holdout either- it's a bad way to approach the situation. But he deserves the pay increase and doesn't have too many other options.

The "slippery slope" argument is a weak one. It's unlikely that the Bills are going to face another situation where a player's contract is about half his market value.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• RockStar36
              • Sep 2004

Peters isn't just any player. He's a Pro Bowl left tackle. He's also grossly outperforming his contract. What should he do? Just accept the fact that he's underpaid? How many of us would accept that in our jobs? The Bills can cut Peters at any time with no obligation, but Peters should be expected to just accept being underpaid?

I don't like the holdout either- it's a bad way to approach the situation. But he deserves the pay increase and doesn't have too many other options.

The "slippery slope" argument is a weak one. It's unlikely that the Bills are going to face another situation where a player's contract is about half his market value.
              I've said from day one that he deserves the pay increase but my opinion has changed about him since the official hold-out. I also thought that he should come in and prove this year that he will be a consistent performer and then work out a deal.

And I don't feel to bad for him and him being underpaid....nobody forced him to sign a long term deal at those terms.

D & S Sports

Comment

• dannyek71
                Drink Responsibly
                • Dec 2004

Why?

SO if the Bills sign him to a 8 mill yr deal and he sucks, will he give the money back or play for less? Of course not. It works both ways. He signed a deal. Tough for him.
                [

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by dannyek71
                  SO if the Bills sign him to a 8 mill yr deal and he sucks, will he give the money back or play for less? Of course not. It works both ways. He signed a deal. Tough for him.
                  No it doesn't work both ways. Teams can cut players at any time, but players are forced to serve out the contract.

If the Bills sign him to an 8 million a year deal, they're only forced to pay him the guaranteed money in the contract. They can cut him at any time and they won't have to pay the rest of the contract. The teams have all the power in those situations.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• dannyek71
                    Drink Responsibly
                    • Dec 2004

No it doesn't work both ways. Teams can cut players at any time, but players are forced to serve out the contract.

If the Bills sign him to an 8 million a year deal, they're only forced to pay him the guaranteed money in the contract. They can cut him at any time and they won't have to pay the rest of the contract. The teams have all the power in those situations.
                    So basically what you are saying is that contracts are useless.
                    [

Comment

• cocamide
                      • Oct 2006

No, because if he doesn't play he doesn't get paid. So he still has to honor his contract if he'd like to make any money.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                        Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                        • May 2003

My feelings exactly. Let him sit out the next 3 years of his career.
                        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• justasportsfan
                          • Jul 2002

When he signed he signed as a RT. They moved him to LT and he became a probowler. IMO , it would be fair if the extened his contract to what average LT's are being paid these days with incentives should he make probowl. Peters' mistake is that he should've at least showed up at camp in good faith.

Hell even Urlacher showed up at their OTA's . This isn't just OTA's anymore. It's camp and Peters should've been there. He deserves to get fined.
                          Last edited by justasportsfan; 07-25-2008, 10:45 AM.
                          sacrifice1
                          https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• trapezeus
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Oct 2004

true in the real world, but not true with NFL contracts. if the NFL made guaranteed contracts, you could argue and say that Peters took a calculated risk and lost. now he has to honor the contract. but since the NFL can just cancel the contract, they open the door for this kind of behavior.

In fact if an NHL player pulled this, it would really be annoying because the long term deal they signed will be honored regardless of play.

Comment

• OpIv37
                              Acid Douching Asswipe
                              • Sep 2002

no, I'm saying you're wrong when you say it goes both ways. Once the player has the contract, the team holds all the power. The team can cut the player at any time or fine the player if they don't meet the contract. The player has no choice.

So, in the Peters case, where the player is playing well above the contract, there's really nothing he can do. He's stuck with a contract that he signed for a different position when players were making less money.
                              MiKiDo Facebook
                              MiKiDo Website

Comment

Working...
                              X