PDA

View Full Version : What happened with Eric Moulds (Peters)

patmoran2006
07-25-2008, 10:10 AM
What happened to Eric Moulds at the end of his career here is the glaring example why Jason Peters, or any deserving player on any team in the NFL should get every penny they can earn, while they have the leverage and while they deserve it.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Moulds didn't deserve the money, that's not what Im saying. What Im saying is that the second you're not worth every penny of your deal, the front office on almost any team is going to turn the page on you, and you're ONLY guaranteed what you get up front.<o:p></o:p>
I don't blame Peters at all. When a player isn't worth the money, I don't blame the front office at all. Sadly, football and the NFL in particular is a business first.<o:p></o:p>
Peters isn't even one of the top 50 paid Offensive linemen in the NFL. That's ridiculous. He deserves what he can get.<o:p></o:p>
Conversely, guys get overpaid. Is Kelsay worth his contract? Absolutely not. But is Kelsay going to give money back because he doesn't play like a $5-6 million per year DE? Of course he isnt.<o:p></o:p>
Point being, if you think it was OK for the Bills to force Moulds to take a paycut or dump him off, then you should have no problem with Peters trying to get paid now.<o:p></o:p>
And semi-related; If Peters reports and plays like he did last year again and doesnt get a new deal, the price of poker will go up even more 12 months from now.<o:p></o:p>

RockStar36
07-25-2008, 10:14 AM
If Peters comes back, plays like last year, the Bills definitely owe him a new deal. But not after one good season.

patmoran2006
07-25-2008, 10:22 AM
What is this "one good season" all about?
He was EASILY our best OL in 2006 and 2007. He went from being solid, to being valuable, to being a Pro Bowler to becoming simply dominant. When I say dominant I'm talking there isn't 5 better OL in the NFL.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Let me ask people this.. Does he deserve to be the third highest paid OL on his own football team? Would you want to play for a team when you look and the guy to the right of you, with half your ability and production, is making millions more than you are?<o:p></o:p>
It's unfortunate what Peters is doing but it's business. I want to be mad at him for potentially disrupting an improving team, but I can't. And I can't because you see what happened to Moulds when we tried to force him to take a paycut and/or restructure and he wouldn't. Situations like his and many others around the league will never allow me to sympathize with a front office.. It's a two-way street so on the rare occasion you have the ability to get your money; you take advantage of it.. I sure as hell know I would.<o:p></o:p>

RockStar36
07-25-2008, 10:24 AM
I'm sorry, but who put a gun to his head when he signed his long term deal? He has THREE YEARS LEFT on it. That gives him ZERO LEVERAGE. There are players in the last year, who want a deal done, but are still showing up and being good team players. Reward those guys, not the ones sitting on their ass eating twinkies and while the others bust their ass today.

Michael82
07-25-2008, 10:40 AM
I'm sorry, but who put a gun to his head when he signed his long term deal? He has THREE YEARS LEFT on it. That gives him ZERO LEVERAGE. There are players in the last year, who want a deal done, but are still showing up and being good team players. Reward those guys, not the ones sitting on their ass eating twinkies and while the others bust their ass today.
Exactly! GREAT POST! :bf1:

Mahdi
07-25-2008, 10:45 AM
Yes all true but that's also the point. He still has 3 years left and there is no way he will play at his current contract for 3 more years. At some point Peters is getting a new contract so in his mind and his agent's that time is now.

The other thing is that when he signed his extension he hadn't moved to LT yet. Now he is probably among the top 3 at LT and everyone knows it.

I would rather see Peters at practice and working while asking for a new contract but to him and his agent that is a risk of injury that he doesn't need to take.

HAMMER
07-25-2008, 10:45 AM
Dear Pat,

We know how you feel, you have posted the same thing fifty five times over the past three days. Please step away from the keyboard and go hug your children, they are more important.

Throne Logic
07-25-2008, 11:53 AM
What is this "one good season" all about?
He was EASILY our best OL in 2006 and 2007. He went from being solid, to being valuable, to being a Pro Bowler to becoming simply dominant. When I say dominant I'm talking there isn't 5 better OL in the NFL.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Let me ask people this.. Does he deserve to be the third highest paid OL on his own football team? Would you want to play for a team when you look and the guy to the right of you, with half your ability and production, is making millions more than you are?<o:p></o:p>
It's unfortunate what Peters is doing but it's business. I want to be mad at him for potentially disrupting an improving team, but I can't. And I can't because you see what happened to Moulds when we tried to force him to take a paycut and/or restructure and he wouldn't. Situations like his and many others around the league will never allow me to sympathize with a front office.. It's a two-way street so on the rare occasion you have the ability to get your money; you take advantage of it.. I sure as hell know I would.<o:p></o:p>

I get caught between this ideal and that of having the integrity of fulfilling a contract you signed in good faith. I don't expect to every get closer to understanding how this must be like. Unless, of course, I magically grow another foot and discover blinding speed and soft hands one morning racing to catch a spilt bowl of Cheerios.

justasportsfan
07-25-2008, 11:55 AM
What happened to Eric Moulds at the end of his career here is the glaring example why Jason Peters, or any deserving player on any team in the NFL should get every penny they can earn, while they have the leverage and while they deserve it.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Moulds didn't deserve the money, that's not what Im saying. What Im saying is that the second you're not worth every penny of your deal, the front office on almost any team is going to turn the page on you, and you're ONLY guaranteed what you get up front.<o:p></o:p>
I don't blame Peters at all. When a player isn't worth the money, I don't blame the front office at all. Sadly, football and the NFL in particular is a business first.<o:p></o:p>
Peters isn't even one of the top 50 paid Offensive linemen in the NFL. That's ridiculous. He deserves what he can get.<o:p></o:p>
Conversely, guys get overpaid. Is Kelsay worth his contract? Absolutely not. But is Kelsay going to give money back because he doesn't play like a $5-6 million per year DE? Of course he isnt.<o:p></o:p>
Point being, if you think it was OK for the Bills to force Moulds to take a paycut or dump him off, then you should have no problem with Peters trying to get paid now.<o:p></o:p>
And semi-related; If Peters reports and plays like he did last year again and doesnt get a new deal, the price of poker will go up even more 12 months from now.<o:p></o:p>

you can't get what you deserve if you don't communicate with the FO

yordad
07-25-2008, 12:12 PM
We got the sale price. When you get a sale price, do you go back to the store and pay them more when the sale ends? And, if it breaks, you still return it, right?

The Spaz
07-25-2008, 12:16 PM
Evans is looking for a new contract and yet he showed up for mini-camps ota's etc., look he is even at training camp...

patmoran2006
07-25-2008, 12:28 PM
We got the sale price. When you get a sale price, do you go back to the store and pay them more when the sale ends? And, if it breaks, you still return it, right?
and when the owners pay a price for a product, and use that product up, do they get to return the product and get part of their money back when the product has already been used up (Moulds_) ??

justasportsfan
07-25-2008, 12:40 PM

an item you buy does not know it was bought at a very cheap price and won't complain.

On the other hand, when a product performs well and performs beyond expectations, you will tend to buy the same brand whether it's on sale or not especially if you need it badly. ;)

raphael120
07-25-2008, 02:02 PM
If you haven't noticed, pretty much every GOOD team out there with players who are DOMINANT runs into this situation every year. The Bills are relatively new to this idea of having a player Pro Bowl worthy and such a big part of our team. If Schobel doesn't come back...do we suffer? If Evans doesn't get resigned...is he replaceable? I think he is. If Peters doesn't come back, where are we going to find such a dependable OLine anchor such as him? Face it, Peters doesn't show up and play, its a ripple effect that will totally negate everything we've built. We've gone from being able to run well on the left side to not being able to run well anywhere behind this line.

This is what happens when you have a player who is, dare i say, elite. Top 5 in the league even. Whens the last time you could say the Bills had someone who was elite. Pat Williams? Who? It's been awhile. It's imperative you lock this guy up because we're going to be spinning our wheels without him. Look at all the teams who make it to the playoffs...whats one of their big strengths? Being able to protect the QB and to be able to run at will. LT is the biggest part of that, and it just so happens that our LT is one of the top 5 in the league. You don't snub your nose at that. I dont care if you have to cut Schobel and Kelsay, get it done. I'd rather see Peters resigned than Evans if it comes down to that. Pro Bowl LT's who are this dominant so early on in their career is rare. The Bills pinch dimes here and there but this is not an area to mess around with if theyre serious about winning and serious about their playoff hopes.