PDA

View Full Version : Will the Bills Extend Evans

patmoran2006
07-25-2008, 02:08 PM
What do you guys think? I'd like to hear some late July predictions. Do you think that..

A) They get a deal done during training camp.
B) They get a deal done during the regular season
C) They don't extend him at all and he becomes a FA (bye bye if so)
D) They don't extend him and then franchise him at the end of season.

Interested in seeing what each member's personal prediction is here.

OpIv37
07-25-2008, 02:09 PM
C, maybe D.

I honestly don't think Evans wants to be extended. I think he's convinced he can get more money from another team and wants to hit FA.

Plus I have his jersey, which pretty much guarantees he won't be a Bill much longer. I should have bought a Tim Anderson jersey 3 years ago.

patmoran2006
07-25-2008, 02:16 PM
I think they will play the season out and see how he peforms and how Hardy does.

if he has a year like 2006, they will franchise him and eventually make a deal like they did with Nate to not franchise him again.

IF he has a year like last year, I dont think they WANT to extend him and give him bigtime WR money.. based on last year, I wouldnt either.

I honestly think the Bills are nervous about throwing Evans huge money because he's only had only one real great season.

I actually would blame the Bills FO less right now for not extending Evans than I do for not giving Peters a chunky raise.

To take it one further, if I was Russ Brandon I'd probably extend Crowell first. I think he's the one who's really going to break out this year and see his value go through the roof, which ensures he'll be gone.

bigbub2352
07-25-2008, 02:29 PM
I think he will get his extension by the end of the preseason, that gives the fans a huge boost going into the regualr season, i dont think they let him walk he is a good WR, and if he shows continuity with TE, there is no way he is not a BILL, they are trying to get this done now i am sure, Peters is complicating everything

DraftBoy
07-25-2008, 02:38 PM
D

Philagape
07-25-2008, 03:10 PM
Bills WR Evans hopeful he'll land long-term deal
By JOHN WAWROW
AP Sports Writer
PITTSFORD, N.Y. (AP) - Receiver Lee Evans is encouraged he'll secure a long-term contract extension with the Buffalo Bills this summer after negotiations intensified over the past month.
"We're moving in the right direction, which is positive," Evans said Friday at the opening of training camp in suburban Rochester. "Both sides are talking. Both sides are positive. That's really good. I am hopeful."
The Bills were not immediately available for comment, but have referred to locking up Evans to a long-term deal as one of their top priorities this summer.

yordad
07-25-2008, 03:13 PM
I'm getting the feeling Wilson wants to put that 30 million in his pilow case. :(

yordad
07-25-2008, 03:14 PM
C, maybe D.

I honestly don't think Evans wants to be extended. I think he's convinced he can get more money from another team and wants to hit FA.

Plus I have his jersey, which pretty much guarantees he won't be a Bill much longer. I should have bought a Tim Anderson jersey 3 years ago.LOL, this is hilarious. I would have said this is a pos rep, but I was told I have to spread them out when I tried. LOL, Anderson.

Dr. Lecter
07-25-2008, 03:15 PM
C, maybe D.

Plus I have his jersey, which pretty much guarantees he won't be a Bill much longer. I should have bought a Tim Anderson jersey 3 years ago.

I actually know a guy with an Anderson jersey. I was gonna beat him and send it to you.

Tim Anderson is the great uniter of Bills fans.

Dr. Lecter
07-25-2008, 03:15 PM
BTW, Phil, if you have a link it would be appreciated......

Philagape
07-25-2008, 03:21 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-bills-evans&prov=ap&type=lgns

I got it off AP at work, that's why no link at first. Yahoo usually carries anything AP

Michael82
07-25-2008, 06:13 PM
He'll get a new contract by the 2nd Pre-Season game. :up:

Yasgur's Farm
07-25-2008, 06:26 PM
I think they franchise him at the end of the season... Then work out a 6 year, $60M deal with #15M signing and another $4M guaranteed.

The Jokeman
07-25-2008, 06:28 PM
C. Evans doesn't deserve franchise money as to me he's not even a top 5 AFC WR (my top 5 are Randy Moss, Chad Johnson, Andre Johnson, Reggie Wayne and Braylon Edwards) let alone top 5 NFL when toss in guys like Terrell Owens, Steve Smith, Marques Colston, Larry Fitzgerald, Plaxico Burress to name a few. Also before anyone calls me a hater, I own an Evans replica jersey.

The Spaz
07-25-2008, 06:38 PM
C. Evans doesn't deserve franchise money as to me he's not even a top 5 AFC WR (my top 5 are Randy Moss, Charles Johnson, Andre Johnson, Reggie Wayne and Braylon Edwards) let alone top 5 NFL when toss in guys like Terrell Owens, Steve Smith, Marques Colston, Larry Fitzgerald, Plaxico Burress to name a few. Also before anyone calls me a hater, I own an Evans replica jersey.

No Marvin Harrison?

Romes
07-25-2008, 06:53 PM
Though the focus around training camp has been on the holdout by Jason Peters and his desires for a contract extension, Lee Evans and the Bills have had dialogue on a new deal for the wide receiver.

Though Evans stated on more than one occasion in the spring that there was nothing new concerning a contract extension, the two sides have recently made strides toward striking an accord.

"There has been some dialogue back and forth and that is certainly good news," said Evans. "We are moving in the right direction on that so hopefully we can get a deal done. Last time there was some stuff out there, but there wasn't a lot of dialogue. So there definitely has been some progress."

http://buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=6266

Sounds like something could get done before the season.

X-Era
07-25-2008, 06:56 PM
What do you guys think? I'd like to hear some late July predictions. Do you think that..

A) They get a deal done during training camp.
B) They get a deal done during the regular season
C) They don't extend him at all and he becomes a FA (bye bye if so)

Interested in seeing what each member's personal prediction is here.

Yes. He has been quiet. He has done everything they asked. He did it the right way, and they will reward him. Although I would offer that the reason its taking so long may have to do with us being cheap. I hope Im wrong.

I hope they get this done soon and pay him more than they wanted to to send a message to Peters that he didnt do it the right way.

OpIv37
07-25-2008, 07:00 PM
I think they franchise him at the end of the season... Then work out a 6 year, $60M deal with #15M signing and another $4M guaranteed.

franchised= gone after the franchise year.

There's already too much bad blood. If the Bills franchise him, that would mean he's stuck here for another year and he'll bolt as soon as the contract is up.

Plus, that amount is too low. It would be on the high end right now, but the way NFL salaries skyrocket, that won't be enough for a top left tackle in 2010. Skyrocketing salaries are probably the main reason we're in this mess in the first place.

The Jokeman
07-25-2008, 07:12 PM
No Marvin Harrison?
Factoring in he's coming off an injury and his age I would sign the aforementioned to bigger money then I would Marvin. Yet if talking career accomplishments, Harrison and Torry Holt definitely deserve to be on this list too but I was looking at guys would take over Lee as of where they are now and what their futures hold in the NFL.

Yasgur's Farm
07-25-2008, 07:14 PM
I think the Bills need to see him produce like a top 5... Not a top 15.

Devin
07-25-2008, 07:48 PM

I think Lee will want to concentrate on the season if nothing is done before it. Unless the Bills offer him an incredible deal it will be after the season. They wont let him go, or go for nothing anyway, so they tag him and work out a long term deal.

Course as long as we sign him I dont care when its sorted.

jmb1099
07-26-2008, 08:31 AM
He'll be resigned with a decent deal. Yes it was only day one of TC, but it is already looking like there is good chemistry between Edwards and Evans. He'll be resigned before the season starts.

ddaryl
07-26-2008, 08:35 AM
I think Evans is prety much a done deal. They are just dotting the t's and crossing the i's

Philagape
07-26-2008, 08:37 AM
The Bills would like to sign Evans to a contract extension, preferably before the regular season starts Sept. 7.
However, league sources say there still is a long way to go in negotiations before the Bills seal a deal with their top receiver.
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/400218.html

X-Era
07-26-2008, 12:12 PM
franchised= gone after the franchise year.

There's already too much bad blood. If the Bills franchise him, that would mean he's stuck here for another year and he'll bolt as soon as the contract is up.

Plus, that amount is too low. It would be on the high end right now, but the way NFL salaries skyrocket, that won't be enough for a top left tackle in 2010. Skyrocketing salaries are probably the main reason we're in this mess in the first place.

If were not saving it for our own players, who in the hell are we saving it for?

Pay the guys, or sell the team.

OpIv37
07-26-2008, 12:16 PM
If were not saving it for our own players, who in the hell are we saving it for?

Pay the guys, or sell the team.

Agreed. The teams that win aren't the teams that throw bucks around. And they aren't the teams that are cheap. They're the teams that pay guys who perform.

Tom Brady and Peyton Manning each take up like $15 million of cap space every year. But they show up and get the job done every week, so it's worth it.

That's what the Bills need to do. Stop paying 3 DE's money that works out to about $1.5 million per sack, stop signing other teams' trash like Price, Royal and Tripplett (although they've been better about that lately), and start paying guys like Evans and Peters.

X-Era
07-26-2008, 12:24 PM
Agreed. The teams that win aren't the teams that throw bucks around. And they aren't the teams that are cheap. They're the teams that pay guys who perform.

Tom Brady and Peyton Manning each take up like $15 million of cap space every year. But they show up and get the job done every week, so it's worth it.

That's what the Bills need to do. Stop paying 3 DE's money that works out to about $1.5 million per sack, stop signing other teams' trash like Price, Royal and Tripplett (although they've been better about that lately), and start paying guys like Evans and Peters. :up:

Im not against paying top dollar for top talent on the free agent market, but its almost never there anymore. The good players are either franchised or traded. I wouldnt mind trading for players either, but we just seem to hang on to our picks. So that leaves growing our own. Weve grown them, only to let them go.

Which brings us to the reality that the Bills want to constantly go the cheap route with players from other teams or with guys in their rookie contracts... OK, how has the worked for us in the past decade?

The last two years have been better. I like that we resigned Schobel, Kelsay, and now Butler and Williams. I like that we went out and got Mitchell, Johnson, and Stroud. But none of those moves other than Stroud shows we go after top tier talent. Stroud had the injury thing so we hopefully got a real bargain.

Our best two players have contract issues. What will we do about it?

Mr. Pink
07-26-2008, 01:53 PM
I'll go with C.

Dr. Lecter
07-26-2008, 02:11 PM
A. :homer:

raphael120
07-26-2008, 02:15 PM
I think Peters will be dealt with after Evans. Evans is more urgent, he's the one with 1 year left. Peters has 3 and he's not showing up to camp. I don't see why players don't show up to camp in good faith. Some around the league are like Hester, Burress while others are not...Peters, Steven Jackson.

Mr. Pink
07-26-2008, 02:33 PM
Why I go with C. is because I think Lee thinks he's worth more than what we 1. can afford to pay and 2. what he's actually worth.

Don't get me wrong he's excellent at stretching the field, but he's really a one-faceted offensive weapon. He gets the majority of the balls in the offense because it's him and nothing.

Plus with our new offensive strategy and a QB who can make throws instead of heaves down the field, he doesn't exactly fit anymore. If this system does indeed work we need possession based receivers who'll go over the middle and take a pounding. That's not Lee.

Michael82
07-26-2008, 02:43 PM
I think Peters will be dealt with after Evans. Evans is more urgent, he's the one with 1 year left. Peters has 3 and he's not showing up to camp. I don't see why players don't show up to camp in good faith. Some around the league are like Hester, Burress while others are not...Peters, Steven Jackson.
The sad thing is, both Peters and Jackson have the same idiot agent. :ill:

Saratoga Slim
07-26-2008, 02:56 PM

I agree. I think that we're going to extend Leed fairly soon, and that that's our clear priority with the remaining cap money at this point. While I do sympathize with Peters, as he's a bit underpaid, his timing is not good, as he's not going to be a FA at the end of this season, and Lee most likely will be if we don't reach a deal. Thus I do not at all expect to see any movement from the Bills on Peters at this time. And I don't really blame them.