PDA

View Full Version : Schefter: Peters Willing to Sit Out Entire Season

raphael120
07-25-2008, 02:11 PM
Schefter even claims that Peters is willing to sit out the entire season to get a new and improved contract.

http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?post_id=3671

That's no good and shows that Peters camp is not willing to even show up to start the ball rolling.

patmoran2006
07-25-2008, 02:12 PM
Shefter was on WGR with Howard Simon this morning and said the same thing.. Said that at the least without a new deal he wouldn't report until Week 10, which by that time the Bills season will surely be lost.

clumping platelets
07-25-2008, 02:33 PM
Let him rot

HHURRICANE
07-25-2008, 02:34 PM
Let him rot

Yeah, losing makes so much more sense.

raphael120
07-25-2008, 02:37 PM
Well he would be stupid to do that because he's the one missing out on money. At the same time, the Bills would (again) be a laughing stock because they'll get bad publicity because, really, Peters deserves the money and there are about 28 other teams out there that would pay him.

This is a guy who many teams would want/

OpIv37
07-25-2008, 02:37 PM
Let him rot

he can rot on his couch but we'll be rotting on the field if he's not there.

This team is ****ed.

yordad
07-25-2008, 02:38 PM
$15,000 fine per day. Seems like a pretty expensive vacation. If his argument is "worth" tell him to go get some money off Kelsay.

Jan Reimers
07-25-2008, 02:41 PM
Bye, Jason. Have a nice unpaid vacation. See you when you develop a little respect, responsibility or loyalty.

But I won't count on it.

Ed
07-25-2008, 02:45 PM
This is obviously concerning, but I just can't see Peters sitting out until week 10. I feel like every year there are players that make these threats, but when was the last time a player actually sat out the season. I remember Joey Galloway doing it a while back, but it seems like these thing always work themselves out somehow. I could see Peters missing a lot of camp, but I don't see him missing the season. I mean what is he going to do? Sit out for 3 years? I've been all for Peters getting a new deal and I respect him making a point of it, but if he lets this thing get ugly and ruin the season, I'll have no sympathy for him.

yordad
07-25-2008, 02:47 PM
Is he going to do that the next three years? What kind of FA contract will he expect after three years of doing nothing?

And, considering he will have not make any money over this three year span because his fines would exceed his pay if he showed up week ten, he would have gained nothing, and lost three years. Compare that to actually working and getting 9ish million.

Or like a smart guy, play one more year, then ask for an extension.

mayotm
07-25-2008, 02:47 PM
New contract or not, Peters will be the starting LT on September 7th. Book it.

Tatonka
07-25-2008, 02:48 PM
can someone answer this.. what if he tries to show up in week 10 and the bills say "no.. you ****ed us up to this point, and now we are having a losing season because your a selfish **** sucker that decided to quit on your teammates, so we really dont want you to play at this point."

does he still get a year of eligability? i mean, all he has to do is show up and not play at week 10 and that counts as a year?

even so, i will let him do that for 3 years.. by then, he is past his prime and out of practice and his career is ruined.

**** him.

clumping platelets
07-25-2008, 02:49 PM
If Peters reports, then I'm willing to rework his contract

If he continues to hold out, he can go rot..........he will never play again

Bills organization have treated him extremely well since he came here as an UDFA. Bills have a legitimate chance at the playoffs this year and he's putting himself before the team.

OpIv37
07-25-2008, 02:50 PM
New contract or not, Peters will be the starting LT on September 7th. Book it.

it's looking less and less like this will happen. Like everyone is saying, he'll probably just show up in time to get his 8 games in and by that time our season will be hosed.

Tatonka
07-25-2008, 02:50 PM

Bills organization have treated him extremely well since he came here as an UDFA. Bills have a legitimate chance at the playoffs this year and he's putting himself before the team.

couldnt have said it better. **** him. if he did hold out and **** the team this year, i would love to see him get screwed like lecharles bentley.

the hatred for him in the city of buffalo would be so great for ruining the season that he couldnt even live there.

OpIv37
07-25-2008, 02:52 PM

so, you're willing to sacrifice the whole season to prove a point to Jason Peters?

I'd totally agree if it didn't mean another wasted year. But it does.

I hope the moral high ground is worth 5-11.

clumping platelets
07-25-2008, 02:52 PM
I hate him now

clumping platelets
07-25-2008, 02:53 PM
so, you're willing to sacrifice the whole season to prove a point to Jason Peters?

So, you would cave in to every player's demands? Thank goodness you aren't the GM :drama:

justasportsfan
07-25-2008, 02:54 PM

Let me twist this. Is Peters willing to ruin his career by screwing over an organization thats been very good to him? How can the organization fix this when he hasn't even communicated with them?

mayotm
07-25-2008, 02:55 PM
it's looking less and less like this will happen. Like everyone is saying, he'll probably just show up in time to get his 8 games in and by that time our season will be hosed.Do you honestly believe that? Will he then do the same thing the following year? Then the year after that? This is day 1 of a holdout. Something that happens across the league every single year. Every year there are threats that the player is going to hold out until mid-season. Yet, it never happens. I realize that it's your nature to take the negative side to any Bills situation, but to be this worked up after one day is silly. I hope you don't have a stroke or a heart attack.

OpIv37
07-25-2008, 02:55 PM
So, you would cave in to every player's demands? Thank goodness you aren't the GM :drama:

peters is not every player. He's an elite LT making about half the average pay for elite LT's. That's not an every day situation.

Thank goodness I'm not the GM? You're talking about doing something that would practically guarantee a miserable season. It's the GM's job to put a winning team on the field, not make examples of people.

What kind of message does it send to other players if the GM is only willing to pay top talent half it's value?

Dr. Lecter
07-25-2008, 02:56 PM
it's looking less and less like this will happen. Like everyone is saying, he'll probably just show up in time to get his 8 games in and by that time our season will be hosed.

Before we say that, remember that if he does that he is losing nearly 3 million that he will never see again. Not to mention, it makes his case that much more difficult.

Right now both sides are using the media to negotiate and make their points. It appears to be the way teams and players work today.

It is unlikely he is not here to open the season.

justasportsfan
07-25-2008, 02:57 PM

Do you honestly believe that? Will he then do the same thing the following year? Then the year after that? This is day 1 of a holdout. Something that happens across the league every single year. Every year there are threats that the player is going to hold out until mid-season. Yet, it never happens. I realize that it's your nature to take the negative side to any Bills situation, but to be this worked up after one day is silly. I hope you don't have a stroke or a heart attack.

I think Maytom is the one being realistic.

jaymitch84
07-25-2008, 02:57 PM
The Bills re-upped Schobel with like 3 years left on his contract, why not do the same for the guy who would dominate Schobel if they ever matched up?

bigbub2352
07-25-2008, 02:58 PM
Dont hit the panic button, Brandon even said he is willing to talk new contract but need to have some contact with them, Peters is showing no class or loaylity toward the Franchise that made him what he is,

That being said dialogue needs to start with the Agent and Russ it will be worked out before the first preseason game

This will however hurt our chances of locking up Crowell and Evans before they hit FA, we mite be goin WR in rd 1 or Lber

raphael120
07-25-2008, 02:59 PM
Is he going to do that the next three years? What kind of FA contract will he expect after three years of doing nothing?

And, considering he will have not make any money over this three year span because his fines would exceed his pay if he showed up week ten, he would have gained nothing, and lost three years. Compare that to actually working and getting 9ish million.

Or like a smart guy, play one more year, then ask for an extension.

He doesn't play this season, we still have him for 3 years. he effectively didn't put in a year of service to the Bills, so he didn't fulfill a single year out of 3 left, he still has to play 3 seasons for us. so he's hurting himself in a way. we have his rights for 3 years. worse comes to worse, we can trade him for something big later on but i hope it doesnt come down to that.

now what Peters misses out in training camp, he'll make back...theyll work it into his deal. if you think that money he's missing each day in training camp is money he'll never see again, you're mistaken. that money will be worked into his new contract meaning he doesn't lose a cent.

OpIv37
Do you honestly believe that? Will he then do the same thing the following year? Then the year after that? This is day 1 of a holdout. Something that happens across the league every single year. Every year there are threats that the player is going to hold out until mid-season. Yet, it never happens. I realize that it's your nature to take the negative side to any Bills situation, but to be this worked up after one day is silly. I hope you don't have a stroke or a heart attack.

This isn't one day. It's been going on since minicamp and OTA's. And the language is continuously getting harsher- the sides are moving apart, not together. You don't want to see it because it means a bad season for the Bills, but this is a really BAD situation.

You compare this to previous examples- when was the last time the sides weren't even talking going into camp? Yeah, it would be an incredibly stupid thing for Peters to do, but the only thing Peters got on his Wonderlic was drool. We're not talking about a brainchild here.

justasportsfan
The Bills re-upped Schobel with like 3 years left on his contract, why not do the same for the guy who would dominate Schobel if they ever matched up?
they most likely would've had he communicated with them. Schobel hasn't *****ed and they gave him mo money.

OpIv37
07-25-2008, 03:00 PM
they most likely would've had he communicated with them. Schobel hasn't *****ed and they gave him mo money.

Typical Buffalo- pay Schobel, don't pay Peters. And people wonder why this team can't win....

justasportsfan
07-25-2008, 03:02 PM
Typical Buffalo- pay Schobel, don't pay Peters. ...Typical OP, *****ing and blaming the FO when it's Peters fault for not communicating with them.

Jan Reimers
07-25-2008, 03:02 PM
I think he'll be here by mid-August at the latest. He would be stupid to hold out untill midseason, because at that point the Bills will NEVER extend him, and he'll have to play all three remaining years at the paltry $Million or so that his current contract pays him.

Why totally alienate the organization that you're trying to negotiate with?

OpIv37
07-25-2008, 03:04 PM
I think he'll be here by mid-August at the latest. He would be stupid to hold out untill midseason, because at that point the Bills will NEVER extend him, and he'll have to play all three remaining years at the paltry $Million or so that his current contract pays him.

Why totally alienate the organization that you're trying to negotiate with?

New theory- maybe he's hoping to force a trade.

I'm almost wondering if something happened behind the scenes? I mean, for him to suddenly stop showing up and stop even talking to the people he wants millions of dollars from... it's very odd.

Dr. Lecter
07-25-2008, 03:04 PM
peters is not every player. He's an elite LT making about half the average pay for elite LT's. That's not an every day situation.

Thank goodness I'm not the GM? You're talking about doing something that would practically guarantee a miserable season. It's the GM's job to put a winning team on the field, not make examples of people.

What kind of message does it send to other players if the GM is only willing to pay top talent half it's value?

He is making half of the money of elite LTs.

He also has 3 years left on the deal and has shown no willingness to work with the FO.

The FO has a responsibility to not just pay the players fairly, but also not set precedents that make future life difficult. And yes, Peters is unique. But if you think future players and agents will see that distinction I have some ocean front property for sale in Nebraska.

The Bills have shown the willingness to extend guys in the past two seasons. Moorman. Williams. Schobel. Butler. Parrish. All extended well before their deals expire and all done without a holdout.

Get yer ass in camp and a deal can/will get done. It only increases your value.

OpIv37
07-25-2008, 03:05 PM
Typical OP, *****ing and blaming the FO when it's Peters fault for not communicating with them.

You sure? Do you know that they didn't make him some insulting offer? Do you know for a fact that they tried to talk to him? Just because Brandon said it to the media doesn't make it fact.

yordad
07-25-2008, 03:05 PM
He doesn't play this season, we still have him for 3 years. he effectively didn't put in a year of service to the Bills, so he didn't fulfill a single year out of 3 left, he still has to play 3 seasons for us. so he's hurting himself in a way. we have his rights for 3 years. worse comes to worse, we can trade him for something big later on but i hope it doesnt come down to that.
And, if he shows up week 10?

OpIv37
07-25-2008, 03:06 PM
He is making half of the money of elite LTs.

He also has 3 years left on the deal and has shown no willingness to work with the FO.

The FO has a responsibility to not just pay the players fairly, but also not set precedents that make future life difficult. And yes, Peters is unique. But if you think future players and agents will see that distinction I have some ocean front property for sale in Nebraska.

The Bills have shown the willingness to extend guys in the past two seasons. Moorman. Williams. Schobel. Butler. Parrish. All extended well before their deals expire and all done without a holdout.

Get yer ass in camp and a deal can/will get done. It only increases your value.

Not paying players what they're worth makes future life difficult because it means top talent doesn't want to play here.

clumping platelets
07-25-2008, 03:07 PM

Schobel didn't hold out...........he reported to training camp and signed an extension around the start of the season

Dr. Lecter
07-25-2008, 03:07 PM
You sure? Do you know that they didn't make him some insulting offer? Do you know for a fact that they tried to talk to him? Just because Brandon said it to the media doesn't make it fact.

And just because you think they insulted him does not make it fact.

Dr. Lecter
07-25-2008, 03:08 PM
Not paying players what they're worth makes future life difficult because it means top talent doesn't want to play here.

And where have shown they are not willing to pay Peters?

justasportsfan
07-25-2008, 03:11 PM
you are right. I'm not sure. But how are you so sure that our FO is not willing to pay Peters? Where's your sources?

Until Peters or his agent denies Brandons claim, that's all I've got and I will base it on that. What's your basis? Peters' silence?

Luisito23
07-25-2008, 03:12 PM
This will however hurt our chances of locking up Crowell and Evans before they hit FA.

I could care less about locking up Evans because he's average at best, as for Crowell well he's a pretty good player but nothing special.

mayotm
07-25-2008, 03:12 PM
This isn't one day. It's been going on since minicamp and OTA's. And the language is continuously getting harsher- the sides are moving apart, not together. You don't want to see it because it means a bad season for the Bills, but this is a really BAD situation.

You compare this to previous examples- when was the last time the sides weren't even talking going into camp? Yeah, it would be an incredibly stupid thing for Peters to do, but the only thing Peters got on his Wonderlic was drool. We're not talking about a brainchild here.Lets be honest. The Bills haven't been in this kind of situation recently. How closely have you followed the holdout situations of other teams? My guess is not closely at all. Nor have I. So I can't write intelligently about the specifics of other situations. I can tell you that the threats Peters is making happen numersous times each season. They happen with players that only have a year left on their contract versus three. Frankly, those threats hold much more weight. 99% of the time, that player starts week 1. Of course this is a bad situation. I'm just 100% confident that it will work itself out prior to the beginning of the season. Meanwhile, I'm not going to let it ruin my weekend, life, etc. Not yet at least.

OpIv37
07-25-2008, 03:16 PM
you are right. I'm not sure. But how are you so sure that our FO is not willing to pay Peters? Where's your sources?

Until Peters' or his agent denies Brandons claim, that's all I've got and I will base it on that. What's your basis? Peters' silence?

I don't have a basis- neither do you. That's the point. You're assuming it's not the FO's fault with no evidence.

justasportsfan
07-25-2008, 03:17 PM
I don't have a basis- neither do you. That's the point. You're assuming it's not the FO's fault with no evidence.
Brandon is better than anything you've got. I have one side of the story you have ZERO

YOu are the one accusing the bills of not willing to pay Peters, back up your statement!

ddaryl
07-25-2008, 03:17 PM
I could care less about locking up Evans because he's average at best, as for Crowell well he's a pretty good player but nothing special.

Evans is better then average... he not the best in the league but he is a force when he is teamed up with other recieving weapons

Philagape
07-25-2008, 03:18 PM
What's 3 million when he can get five times that guaranteed in a new deal?

mayotm
07-25-2008, 03:21 PM
Evans is better then average... he not the best in the league but he is a force when he is teamed up with other recieving weaponsAnd decent QB play. Oh wait, we wouldn't really know. He hasn't really had that yet.

OpIv37
07-25-2008, 03:24 PM
Lets be honest. The Bills haven't been in this kind of situation recently. How closely have you followed the holdout situations of other teams? My guess is not closely at all. Nor have I. So I can't write intelligently about the specifics of other situations. I can tell you that the threats Peters is making happen numersous times each season. They happen with players that only have a year left on their contract versus three. Frankly, those threats hold much more weight. 99% of the time, that player starts week 1. Of course this is a bad situation. I'm just 100% confident that it will work itself out prior to the beginning of the season. Meanwhile, I'm not going to let it ruin my weekend, life, etc. Not yet at least.

given this FO's track record with players and coaches, why would you ever have 100% confidence in ANYTHING they do?

mayotm
07-25-2008, 03:27 PM
given this FO's track record with players and coaches, why would you ever have 100% confidence in ANYTHING they do?It's not a matter of my level of confidence in the FO. He'll be there new contract or not. He doesn't have much of a choice.

raphael120
07-25-2008, 03:29 PM
Typical OP, *****ing and blaming the FO when it's Peters fault for not communicating with them.

not showing up for OTA's ISN"T communicating something???

PromoTheRobot
07-25-2008, 04:09 PM
given this FO's track record with players and coaches, why would you ever have 100% confidence in ANYTHING they do?
Jeezuzz Effin' Keerist, Opi. Why da fock do you hang here when you hate this team so much? Find a "good" team and root for them and leave us da fock alone, why don'cha? You are ponderous.

PTR

raphael120
07-25-2008, 04:25 PM
Jeezuzz Effin' Keerist, Opi. Why da fock do you hang here when you hate this team so much? Find a "good" team and root for them and leave us da fock alone, why don'cha? You are ponderous.

PTR
If the city of Buffalo sucks so bad and it's a poor, rust belt city, why don't you move? Blah blah blah.

This argument is lame. Even if youre not happy with what your family does, theyre still your family and you still care about them, it's the same way (in a way) with the relationship some poeple have with the Bills.

ublinkwescore
07-25-2008, 04:28 PM
We'd be better off not calling his bluff and getting his @$$ into camp.

BAM
07-25-2008, 04:34 PM
Later JP!

OpIv37
07-25-2008, 04:37 PM

PTR

I don't hate this team. If I hated this team I wouldn't be so pissed about all the things they **** up.

I hate the players and FO people that keep this team from winning. And lately we've had a lot of them.

tatersalad
07-25-2008, 04:37 PM
He is gonna get his money probably sign when the bills break camp (players hate camp) Buffalo knows they have one of the top 3 LT in profootball and will pay him accordingly.

The Jokeman
07-25-2008, 06:21 PM
Langston Walker earns on average $5 million per season, you an bet Peters will be looking for more money then that and more as he's playing the more elite position of Left OT and also made the Pro Bowl last year. I'm angry he's holding out as much as everyone and while I'm not ready to give Peters franchise money as prefer to give him an incentive laden deal as not really sure if he'll continue to make the Pro Bowl year in and year out.

Coach Sal
07-25-2008, 06:48 PM
can someone answer this.. what if he tries to show up in week 10 and the bills say "no.. you ****ed us up to this point, and now we are having a losing season because your a selfish **** sucker that decided to quit on your teammates, so we really dont want you to play at this point."

does he still get a year of eligability? i mean, all he has to do is show up and not play at week 10 and that counts as a year?

even so, i will let him do that for 3 years.. by then, he is past his prime and out of practice and his career is ruined.

**** him.

A player gets credited with an accrued season when he has six or more regular-season games on a club’s active/inactive, reserved-injured or physically unable to perform lists.

In your scenario, the Bills would then have to put him on their "inactive" list for those games.

Thus, Peters would still get credit for the season.

Michael82
07-25-2008, 07:18 PM

Great post, clump! :bf1:

zone
07-25-2008, 07:33 PM
It is all idle threats, look at Chad Johnson.

Turf
07-25-2008, 07:39 PM
All you that want Peters to rot, tell me.
Where do you find a Pro Bowl LT to replace him? You can't, and no one except the morons in Buffalo, would let one go. And if you could find a free agent Pro Bowl LT, how much would you pay him? I can assure you they could ink Peter long term for less.
Hopefully this is all posturing and things will get worked out by Sept.

Turf
07-25-2008, 07:44 PM
Typical Buffalo- pay Schobel, don't pay Peters. And people wonder why this team can't win....

Damn good point there. Not to mention bad money they've thrown around elsewhere when unnecessary.

clumping platelets
07-25-2008, 08:02 PM
Schobel didn't hold out and handled things behind closed doors

Peters is holding out

Big difference

camelcowboy
07-25-2008, 08:18 PM

A couple points peters needs to learn
1) A five year contract means you can't have a new one for five years.
2) The genius telling to sit out the year is the same one who negotiated a contract that your clearly unhappy with. Sitting out the season losing 15,000 a day, and possible 25% of your signing bonus seems like a brillant idea.
3) Its hard to negotiate when you and your agent stay silent.
4)Hey Jason if you sign a 7 year extension and you play like crap year 3, will you take a pay cut?
5) You have had one good season, have you earned a real deal?

Sign the best available left tackle in freeagency, and promise to shut peters down for the rest of the year if he fails to report. Op the bills can't give in on this. Peters needs to play at least halfway through his deal before they tear it up. Every player thinking they need a raise will hold out because they will see the bills will cave.

BuffaloRanger
07-25-2008, 09:00 PM

Let's not bash Peters too bad. Bruce held out on more then one occasion.

What the hell is the front office doing? WHY HAVEN'T THEY SPOKE TO PETERS SINCE JANUARY!!!!

He has the same agent as Hardy. Brandon says "we didn't talk about the Peters situation when we were negotiating Hardy's contract."

Here's an idea Rusty boy...Do two things at once!! Why couldn't Brandon have said "Oh yeah, this whole contract thing reminds me, let's have a talk about Jason Peters while you're here."

As it is, the Bill's failure to upgrade the offense in the offseason (a 2nd rd WR is not nearly enough to improve one of the worst offenses (points scored, yards gained, 3rd down conversion, etc) in Bills history) will make it very difficult to put points on the board. They are screwing with the entire season. Certain teams could be forgiven for taking such a hard stand. Not a team that hasn't made the playoffs this decade - ranking us with the Cards and Texans (expansion) as the decades worst team.

The Bills pulled in 78 million with the Toronto deal. They have sold more season tickets since 93. They have tons of cap room. And a Pro-Bowl LT that they are paying like a *****. PAY THE MAN!! PAY THE MAN!! PAY THE MAN!!

Pay Peters. Save the season.

OpIv37
07-25-2008, 09:13 PM
A couple points peters needs to learn
1) A five year contract means you can't have a new one for five years.
2) The genius telling to sit out the year is the same one who negotiated a contract that your clearly unhappy with. Sitting out the season losing 15,000 a day, and possible 25% of your signing bonus seems like a brillant idea.
3) Its hard to negotiate when you and your agent stay silent.
4)Hey Jason if you sign a 7 year extension and you play like crap year 3, will you take a pay cut?
5) You have had one good season, have you earned a real deal?

Sign the best available left tackle in freeagency, and promise to shut peters down for the rest of the year if he fails to report. Op the bills can't give in on this. Peters needs to play at least halfway through his deal before they tear it up. Every player thinking they need a raise will hold out because they will see the bills will cave.

completely wrong. Peters is making HALF his market value. No other Bills player has ever been in that situation, and it's unlikely that it will happen again in the future. It's actually the complete opposite. if they DON'T pay Peters what he's worth, it's going to be impossible to attract top talent to Buffalo.

They let Clements, Winfield, Jennings, Pat Williams, Fletcher and Spikes go. Granted, there were reasons why most of them were let go (although I think not paying Fat Pat was one of the biggest mistakes this team has ever made), but there is already a perception that Buffalo doesn't pay top talent. Not paying Peters will just exasperate the problem .

camelcowboy
07-25-2008, 10:13 PM
completely wrong. Peters is making HALF his market value. No other Bills player has ever been in that situation, and it's unlikely that it will happen again in the future. It's actually the complete opposite. if they DON'T pay Peters what he's worth, it's going to be impossible to attract top talent to Buffalo.

They let Clements, Winfield, Jennings, Pat Williams, Fletcher and Spikes go. Granted, there were reasons why most of them were let go (although I think not paying Fat Pat was one of the biggest mistakes this team has ever made), but there is already a perception that Buffalo doesn't pay top talent. Not paying Peters will just exasperate the problem .Buffalo should pay their talent. When it's their turn! No one put a gun to his head to sign that contract. Just because market value has been grossly inflated because of a crappy cba doesn't mean the bills need bend over backwards to renegotiate. Peters is the bills property for three years. Peters is bluffing the bills should stand firm. Peters won't hold out for three years.

Mitchy moo
07-25-2008, 10:37 PM
Buffalo should pay their talent. When it's their turn! No one put a gun to his head to sign that contract. Just because market value has been grossly inflated because of a crappy cba doesn't mean the bills need bend over backwards to renegotiate. Peters is the bills property for three years. Peters is bluffing the bills should stand firm. Peters won't hold out for three years.

I agree and Bruce held out because he hate TC, the he found out how bad hammy's work.

jaymitch84
07-26-2008, 01:29 AM
Haha...look at everyone.

No one knows how to handle themselves when a Bills player holds out...it's so not often that they even have a player good enough TO hold out and demand a new contract.

A deal will get done if that's what it'll take to get him to come play. They didn't pay Dockery and Walker to upgrade their line just to let the best player on the line go to waste.

feelthepain
07-26-2008, 02:43 AM
Classic over reaction!

Meathead
07-26-2008, 02:46 AM
what i dont get is that all the mediocre white guys show up for camp and get big raises well before their contracts ran out

why does it appear like peters sprinted for the holdout option? is there something going on that we dont know about? the bills have been very good about locking up their talent so if you plan on playing for the Bills the smart move clearly appears to be show up for camp and most likely you will be taken care of

this leads me to believe maybe peters has something else entirely on his mind. im wondering if he is planning on forcing the bills to trade him. hes not going to just go for a big raise on the bills, he wants it all. he knows there are other teams that would give him even more than the bills maximum and has decided just to squeeze every last cent he can out of this opportunity. he didnt show up because that would delay him getting onto the trade market and he wants to be on his new team by the time the season starts

its the only thing that makes sense at this point

jimbohastle51
07-26-2008, 02:51 AM
worst case i see him here week 1 but missing all training camp and pre season. best scenario probably half of camp is lost for him but he gets 1-2 pre season games under his belt to shake off the rust. i understand he shouldnt of re-upped when he did if he was going to want more money but in the NFL you have to get what you can while you can, he is the best young LT in the game and the bills and him have another 10 years together so i am sure they'll figure this stuff out. as i have said before..... no team in the NFL EVER EVER EVER has let a pro bowl LT in there prime just go in the salary cap era, they are as important as a QB because without them there is no QB while not a very healthy one anyways. peters will get done one way or another but he'll be there when we need him.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
07-26-2008, 03:22 AM
Dont hit the panic button, Brandon even said he is willing to talk new contract but need to have some contact with them, Peters is showing no class or loaylity toward the Franchise that made him what he is,

That being said dialogue needs to start with the Agent and Russ it will be worked out before the first preseason game

This will however hurt our chances of locking up Crowell and Evans before they hit FA, we mite be goin WR in rd 1 or Lber

"To be very honest with you, it's really been a road map of silence to date," Brandon said regarding dialogue over Peters' situation.

"He hasn't been here to date," Brandon said, "and it's difficult to have discussions with someone who's not here and has elected to not participate in what we're trying to do."

"You never say never," Brandon said. "We have conversations with our guys all the time, and I think we have a proven track record of trying to get guys done and extend guys out. We've done it already this offseason with Kyle Williams and Brad Butler. We've done it with [Aaron] Schobel in the past and Terrence McGee. It's a long line of guys that we've done it with. But it's very difficult to have those conversations when the individual is not participating in your work."
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/billsnfl/story/399357.html

BADTHINGSMAN
07-26-2008, 05:00 AM
Bills should handle this the same way the Bengals did Chad Johnson, remember he whined about a trade, the Bengals said no way, so Chad wasnt planning on showing, then the Bengals said no show no money..

jmb1099
07-26-2008, 07:00 AM
He has three more years on his contract. If he sits he never sees his big payday. While its true that he's making half of what he's worth, he hasn't shown even an inkling of willingness to demonstrate he wants to be here this year. Brandon made a good point. He has shown a willingness to work with the players who demonstrate a desire to play for buffalo. Let's be honest, Peter's hasn't demonstrated that. As Opi, said, that is weird. Plus, to be honest, I like the message Brandon has sent: If you show up and don't cause unnecessary drama, you'll get a decent new deal. Its why I'm confident Evans and Crowell will be resigned, they've showed up, no drama. If Peters wants a new contract, all he needs to do is show up and he'll get it.

Night Train
07-26-2008, 07:27 AM
If the Bills tear up a contract with 3 years left on it and give him 7-8 Mil a year, they'll have 20 other players wanting the same thing. Contracts will be basically meaningless. You don't cave. You negotiate.

As I said in another thread, front load his contract with a signing bonus and a promise to talk again in 2 years. He should be happy with the windfall of instant cash on top of a decent yearly salary.

coastal
07-26-2008, 07:42 AM
The Bills appear to be taking the stance that they'll talk as long as he gets into camp and shows himself to be part of the team.

Peters holdout began during the OTA's.

Whatever conversation occurred prior to the OTA's is what has caused the present situation, because as Brandon has pointed out... it has been strangely silent.

So... the agent's way of dealing with this is to go into holdout mode based on a conversation at the beginning of the offseason? From there he goes into lockdown?

And you people ***** about Rosenahus...

justasportsfan
07-26-2008, 09:35 AM
They let Clements, Winfield, Jennings, Pat Williams, Fletcher and Spikes go. Granted, there were reasons why most of them were let go (although I think not paying Fat Pat was one of the biggest mistakes this team has ever made), but there is already a perception that Buffalo doesn't pay top talent. Not paying Peters will just exasperate the problem .You have to blame the right people. Donahoe was the one who let PAt and Winfield go and letting Clements,Spikes and Fletcher go was justified .

Luisito23
07-26-2008, 09:46 AM
Just like with the Lynch situation this will all be forgotten in a couple of weeks and the nancies will find something else to complain and ***** about.....

Jan Reimers
07-26-2008, 09:52 AM
All negotiations are a two way strret. The Bills should do absolutely nothing until Peters has the common decency to report to camp, which I'm sure he'll do within a couple of weeks.

Peters can't afford to sit out indefinitely, so the Bills should call his bluff and go on practicing and preparing for the season without him.

X-Era
07-26-2008, 12:07 PM
Buffalo should pay their talent. When it's their turn! No one put a gun to his head to sign that contract. Just because market value has been grossly inflated because of a crappy cba doesn't mean the bills need bend over backwards to renegotiate. Peters is the bills property for three years. Peters is bluffing the bills should stand firm. Peters won't hold out for three years.

He signed the contract as a average RT, and has NOW become a pro-bowl LT.

There is a HUGE difference in pay between those two, thats not my opinion, thats a fact.

How can the Bills actually say to media that they want him to honor his contract which pays him HALF of what Dockery gets?

Whether Russ really wants him to play out his existing contract or not, he should have taken a different approach publicly. The Bills are underpaying the guy, and Russ looks like a dickhead and a fool for saying that.

What planet is Russ on? He honestly thinks he can get pro-bowl LT play out of a Joe Panos type contract? Are you frikkin kidding me?

X-Era
07-26-2008, 12:09 PM
BTW MOD's, feel free to merge mine into this one. The crux is the same, no need to clog up the joint with similar Peters threads

:rockon:

acehole
07-26-2008, 12:39 PM
Peters will not sit out. He wants to be a part of this hopeful season.

Peters gets looked at the day after Lee signs extention.

Lee signs when he likes what he sees on offense and from the o-coordinater and on paper contract as far as dollars go.

Crowell gets looked at but not to long as other player at th LB position have stepped up (Digi) and that crew can be shuffled...and all though I would like to see a nice nucleus signed...sombody has to give.... it is the Bills MO.

Crowel might be a good canidate for a tag of some kind however.

http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?post_id=3671

That's no good and shows that Peters camp is not willing to even show up to start the ball rolling.

Mr. Pink
07-26-2008, 02:49 PM
If Peters sits out the entire season I say to him, congrats on screwing up your promising NFL career. The guy is generally thought of as a top 10 tackle in this league. A year of doing nothing football related and he's done.

Saying that, I don't think he or his agent is that dumb.

Meathead
07-26-2008, 11:15 PM
How can the Bills actually say to media that they want him to honor his contract which pays him HALF of what Dockery gets?

the bills are saying

'we want him to honor his current contract and be here on time as agreed. once thats done we can do what we did with the mediocre white guys who outplayed their contracts and give him a raise'

NOT

'we want him to honor his current contract and stfu even though hes getting paid half of what his performance level has become bwahahahahahaaaa"

Michael82
07-27-2008, 12:43 AM
He signed the contract as a average RT, and has NOW become a pro-bowl LT.

There is a HUGE difference in pay between those two, thats not my opinion, thats a fact.

Whether Russ really wants him to play out his existing contract or not, he should have taken a different approach publicly. The Bills are underpaying the guy, and Russ looks like a dickhead and a fool for saying that.

What planet is Russ on? He honestly thinks he can get pro-bowl LT play out of a Joe Panos type contract? Are you frikkin kidding me?
sorry, but Peters' agent deserves some of the blame for that. He signed his new contract right before he was switched to LT. It was discussed many times that the team would eventually consider moving him to LT. He should have had some clauses in his contract that triggered once he moved from RT to LT or maybe a option to opt out. But he didn't. Now he's upset because he ****ed up. :ill:

njsue
07-27-2008, 05:30 AM
:cry: