PDA

View Full Version : Boomer's draft nightmare

PA Season Ticket Holder
04-24-2003, 12:30 PM
Here we are in April, and in the NFL, that can only mean one thing -- the draft. As I think back almost 20 years to the 1984 draft, I can't believe I'm that old and they still call me Boomer.

Also, I recall that what should have been the greatest day of a young football player's life turned out to be a stressful nightmare for me.

I woke up the morning of the draft having this notion that I would be one of the top five players chosen. The media circus that surrounds today's top projected picks wasn't nearly as severe back then. As the draft began to unfold, I sat there in my dorm room with the hopes of going early in the first round. When it finally got to the 10th pick and I had not been selected, my dream started to turn into a nightmare.

Whether you call it bewilderment or embarrassment, the only true description I thought of that truly described the way I felt at that moment was anger. I was angry at the process of having to sit there and listen to my faults as my stock continued to drop.

Now, there could have been many good reasons as to why I kept falling:

http://nfl.com/draft/story/6319834