• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PA Season Ticket Holder
    You mess up my night, and I'll mess up your day
    • Jul 2002

Bears hope to corner draft market

LAKE FOREST, Ill. - Defensive line and quarterback have long been identified as the Bears' most pressing needs in this weekend's draft, but there are other priorities that must be addressed.

Next on the want list is a cornerback who will provide depth and challenge Roosevelt Williams and Todd McMillon for playing time behind starters R.W. McQuarters and Jerry Azumah.

"We're in need of a third corner right now," said Bears defensive coordinator Greg Blache. "I'm almost certain we'll address the issue (Saturday). If it's the first round, the third round, it doesn't matter."

The top cornerback in the draft, Kansas State's Terence Newman, likely will be available when the Bears select at No. 4. But general manager Jerry Angelo is expected to look in another direction, possibly Kentucky defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson.

The Bears could land the second-ranked cornerback, Washington State's Marcus Trufant, by dealing down to acquire an extra pick. Their most likely trade partners are teams with two first-round picks such as the New York Jets (Nos. 13 and 22) and New England Patriots (Nos. 14 and 19).

Angelo has not been actively seeking a trade but will listen to offers in the days leading up to the draft-as well as when the Bears are on the clock Saturday.

If Angelo opts to address the position in the third round, possibilities include Bethune-Cookman's Rahean Mathis, Southern Methodist's Kevin Garrett and Tuskegee's Drayton Florence, who played in the same defensive backfield with Williams in college.

BUFFALO BILLS AND MLB POOLS

http://www.billszone.com/YourSite/global/nfl/pool.php?action=home
Working...
X