PDA

View Full Version : Bills Have Upper Hand With Peters

patmoran2006
07-28-2008, 07:48 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/columns/story/401589.html

The message sounded all too familiar, a filthy rich athlete whining about not making enough money. Jason Peters’ protest over his contract with the Buffalo Bills didn’t exactly startle an organization that spent years listening to Bruce Smith’s annual blather about feelings of disrespect.

Bruce’s general approach was complaining about his contract, reminding everyone he was the best defensive end in football, finding reasons to skip large portions of training camp and reporting back to the Bills for the start of the season. It was Bruce being Bruce, greedy and selfish, always taking care of No. 1 before donning No. 78.

Ralph Wilson has been around the block a few times, knows every pothole on the street. He’s owned the franchise for nearly 50 years. He transformed the Bills from a $30,000 risk into a $760 million empire. He’s had terrific teams and terrible ones. But he always, always, did business on his own terms.

Obviously, Peters doesn’t know Ralph the way we do. He’s not a man with whom you want to play chicken, especially when he’s driving a tractor-trailer and you’re in a Pinto. Peters isn’t Bruce. He has neither the leverage nor the credentials to bully around the Bills.

Romes
07-28-2008, 07:53 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/columns/story/401589.html

The message sounded all too familiar, a filthy rich athlete whining about not making enough money. Jason Peters’ protest over his contract with the Buffalo Bills didn’t exactly startle an organization that spent years listening to Bruce Smith’s annual blather about feelings of disrespect.

Bruce’s general approach was complaining about his contract, reminding everyone he was the best defensive end in football, finding reasons to skip large portions of training camp and reporting back to the Bills for the start of the season. It was Bruce being Bruce, greedy and selfish, always taking care of No. 1 before donning No. 78.

Ralph Wilson has been around the block a few times, knows every pothole on the street. He’s owned the franchise for nearly 50 years. He transformed the Bills from a $30,000 risk into a $760 million empire. He’s had terrific teams and terrible ones. But he always, always, did business on his own terms.

Obviously, Peters doesn’t know Ralph the way we do. He’s not a man with whom you want to play chicken, especially when he’s driving a tractor-trailer and you’re in a Pinto. Peters isn’t Bruce. He has neither the leverage nor the credentials to bully around the Bills.

I hope Peters reads that.

Philagape
07-28-2008, 07:56 AM
Ralph's "tractor-trailer" will be jackknifed when his QB is killed by a blindside hit allowed by Kirk Chambers.
Every season Peters loses is one the Bills lose, too.

Mr. Pink
07-28-2008, 07:56 AM
I completely agree with Gleason at the end of this column.

Until Peters decides to show up, he can have fun collecting fines. If/when he shows up then he can talk turkey.

Ickybaluky
07-28-2008, 08:07 AM
Tough talk and the hard line are fine unless the guy misses games. If the Bills want to stare down to see if he will cave, they are playing a dangerous game.

You can talk all you want about letting him rot, but the fact is if the holdout lasts into the season you are risking the promise of this season and perhaps the confidence of Edwards. Peters is a big part of the Bills and a franchise LT. All it takes is one missed block he would have made and Edwards might be in traction.

If the Bills want to risk that, more power to them. Maybe Peters can't stand to stay away and comes back before the season. Maybe he just doesn't feel like going through training camp and he will come back in with just the Bills promise that they will deal with his contract at a later date.

However, if they are wrong and he stays away, their season is at risk. Those are some high stakes.

shelby
07-28-2008, 08:17 AM
i think the FO should shut up and pay him.
Just my opinion.

OpIv37
07-28-2008, 08:27 AM
Tough talk and the hard line are fine unless the guy misses games. If the Bills want to stare down to see if he will cave, they are playing a dangerous game.

You can talk all you want about letting him rot, but the fact is if the holdout lasts into the season you are risking the promise of this season and perhaps the confidence of Edwards. Peters is a big part of the Bills and a franchise LT. All it takes is one missed block he would have made and Edwards might be in traction.

If the Bills want to risk that, more power to them. Maybe Peters can't stand to stay away and comes back before the season. Maybe he just doesn't feel like going through training camp and he will come back in with just the Bills promise that they will deal with his contract at a later date.

However, if they are wrong and he stays away, their season is at risk. Those are some high stakes.

Exactly. The Bills have the upper hand financially and can easily hold out longer than he can. In fact they're saving money by getting 15k a day from him (peanuts in the grand scheme of things, but 15k more than what they'd have if he were practicing).

However, on the field, he has the upper hand. The Bills and Edwards desperately need him. And they know it.

We'll be lucky to win 5 games without Peters.

ddaryl
07-28-2008, 09:15 AM
Oh friggin well... It sucks but this is the way it WILL BE.

Peters has gone about this the wrong way, and there is nothing we can do about it. There is no choice in the matter. You can not let a single player hold a team hostage. Peters at the bare minimum needed to show up at OTA's and prove he was a team leader 1st... Who in their right mind would throw 50+ million at a player who couldn't be bothered to show up.

and of course Peters should have turned down his extension last year if he wanted to gamble on bigger contract sooner. The Bills had no intention of upping Peters contract 2 years in a row, and I seriously doubt other teams would be playing this much differently.

Bottom line is Peters can choose to hold out. It will cost him millions... If he holds out for the entire year he still owes the Bills 3 more years plus fines.
IMHO Peters is just trying to get out of trainnig camp...

I do think Peters deserves to be paid more, but since he is trying to hold the team hostage I am not on his side at all.

RockStar36
07-28-2008, 09:15 AM
Like said this morning, what is Peters without the Bills? Nothing.

If he doesn't report it's going to hurt him more than the Bills.

bigbub2352
07-28-2008, 09:16 AM
I completely agree with this article and the Realfootball365 1, and i hate to say it but Vic Carucci said the same exact stuff last nite, on Channel 7 Sports Extra local TV, he said that Peters is wrong in what he is doing and should be at camp and not taking such a hard stance

Im sorry but i know this is a business now, but No Loyality or class

Especially with 3yrs left

U should trust the organization after all they did for him, UDFA as a TE to probowl LT doesnt happen over nite

Philagape
07-28-2008, 09:17 AM
What are the Bills without Peters? Losers.

TacklingDummy
07-28-2008, 09:18 AM
Just my opinion.

They do. And he is signed for another 3 years,
If anyone is at fault here its Peters.

TacklingDummy
07-28-2008, 09:19 AM

What have they been with Peters? Losers.

DraftBoy
07-28-2008, 09:43 AM
We don't sign Peters to a long term deal our season, and likely our next one is in the crapper. Franchise LT don't fall out of trees. Do we really want to play this game and risk 2-3 more years of no playoffs? Personally he deserves the money (which btw we all agree on) and if we don't pay him our team is in deep trouble.

OpIv37
07-28-2008, 09:43 AM
Like said this morning, what is Peters without the Bills? Nothing.

If he doesn't report it's going to hurt him more than the Bills.

What he said:

Mahdi
07-28-2008, 09:44 AM

When was the last time a player held out into the season though?

PECKERWOOD
07-28-2008, 09:49 AM
Just my opinion.

I think we should pay him now as well, let's take of our own players. I want to see Peters play his entire career out in Buffalo, so whatever it takes to make that happen.

HHURRICANE
07-28-2008, 10:03 AM
This is a dumb article. Bruce was always paid at the top or near the top so the comparison is ridiculous.

Plus what ever happened to paying someone for their performance. The kid might be the best LT in the league but we are going to severly under pay because we can?

The sides should be talking so he can get into camp. Agree to restructure if he shows up.

Tatonka
07-28-2008, 10:11 AM

how do you know? i mean peters was a pile of **** undrafted free agent TE.. so what is to say that karl malone's son is not capable? or that we cant grab a vet tackle to fill in for a while?

DraftBoy
07-28-2008, 10:14 AM
how do you know? i mean peters was a pile of **** undrafted free agent TE.. so what is to say that karl malone's son is not capable? or that we cant grab a vet tackle to fill in for a while?

But I dont think anybody can really expect for a Vet tackle or Bell to step in for an All-Pro LT. Peters may have been an UDFA TE but its taken him years to develop his game to become a premiere LT. That can't happen overnight.

Philagape
07-28-2008, 10:16 AM

A player has to show that he IS capable. Because excellence is rare, especially in UDFAs.

Tatonka
07-28-2008, 10:16 AM
But I dont think anybody can really expect for a Vet tackle or Bell to step in for an All-Pro LT. Peters may have been an UDFA TE but its taken him years to develop his game to become a premiere LT. That can't happen overnight.

well he is also starting well behind a player that was already playing tackle.

and i dont think that some other player we can grab at this point is going to play as well as peters.. but that said.. you dont have to have an all pro at LT to win.. the pats dont have an all pro at left tackle with light.. and the giants just switched their right guard to left tackle last year.. and everyone said they were ****ing nuts..

im just saying it is not the end of the world for the bills.. players come and go.

OpIv37
07-28-2008, 10:17 AM

What DraftBoy said, plus what are the chances that the Bills are going to find two consecutive "diamond in the rough" types at the SAME position?

Even if Chambers or the Mailman's bastard son end up being good LT's, there is no way in hell either of them will be as good as Peters by September 7, 2008.

Tatonka
07-28-2008, 10:18 AM
What DraftBoy said, plus what are the chances that the Bills are going to find two consecutive "diamond in the rough" types at the SAME position?

Even if Chambers or the Mailman's bastard son end up being good LT's, there is no way in hell either of them will be as good as Peters by September 7, 2008.

they dont have to be.

OpIv37
07-28-2008, 10:18 AM

and i dont think that some other player we can grab at this point is going to play as well as peters.. but that said.. you dont have to have an all pro at LT to win.. the pats dont have an all pro at left tackle with light.. and the giants just switched their right guard to left tackle last year.. and everyone said they were ****ing nuts..

im just saying it is not the end of the world for the bills.. players come and go.

Long term it's not the end of the world. For the 2008 season, losing Peters would be devastating.

Tatonka
07-28-2008, 10:19 AM
i disagree.

Tatonka
07-28-2008, 10:20 AM
it would hurt, but we can find an average LT and still win games. trents asset is he can feel pressure and get rid of the ball quick.

Philagape
07-28-2008, 10:20 AM
the pats dont have an all pro at left tackle with light..

Actually, they do.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d805db597&template=with-video&confirm=true

Tatonka
07-28-2008, 10:21 AM
ok, i stand corrected.. was he an all pro in any of the superbowls they actually won?

Philagape
07-28-2008, 10:22 AM
I dunno, but the one they lost was because they didn't protect their QB well enough.

Tatonka
07-28-2008, 10:23 AM
pretty sure that was because they blitzed everyone on defense every play and finally outsmarted the pats. your not going to put that all on the LT.

DraftBoy
07-28-2008, 10:23 AM

Matt Light is one hell of a LT, he is a two time consecutive Pro-Bowler (07, and starter in 08) so I don't really understand your coorelation there. The guy is proven to be one of the best at LT in the AFC and in the NFL.

As for Diehl he was a very successful OG in the NFL and played both OG and OT at Illinois before he was drafted in 2003 by the Giants. So the position was not foreign to him what so ever, plus he was a proven NFL player not some rookie or a crappy vet. I still don't see how your comparisons are at all valid. It has proven time and time again that LT's are key to teams success to act like Peters won't make a huge negative impact, makes no sesne.

DraftBoy
07-28-2008, 10:26 AM
it would hurt, but we can find an average LT and still win games. trents asset is he can feel pressure and get rid of the ball quick.

Do you really think Trent's got some skill set that is going to save him from getting killed without a capable LT? And his assest is not necessarily feeling pressure as much as it is making good quick reads, and getting rid of the ball.

Tatonka
wasnt our RG a tackle in college? hmmm.

point is i am not going to sit here and act like the season is lost because peters is being a greedy whore.. i can respect the bills saying, "peters, if you want to act like a ***** and try and hold us hostage, go **** yourself."

if he does that, then i would get enjoyment out of the bills ruining his career and letting him rot for 3 years. i know one thing.. if this becomes a long term problem, the bills will address it. it will work itself out.

Philagape
pretty sure that was because they blitzed everyone on defense every play and finally outsmarted the pats. your not going to put that all on the LT.

I'm not, I'm saying even one of the best offenses of all time falls apart if the QB isn't protected. Look what happened to the Rams last year also.

Tatonka
07-28-2008, 10:28 AM
Do you really think Trent's got some skill set that is going to save him from getting killed without a capable LT? And his assest is not necessarily feeling pressure as much as it is making good quick reads, and getting rid of the ball.

i am getting tired of repeating myself.

i think that the bills dont need an all pro at left tackle.. there are 28 teams in the nfl that dont have an all pro at left tackle, including the superbowl champs.. they had a "very good right guard" at left tackle last year.

and while peters is very good, trent getting rid of the ball quickly also makes peters and the rest of the line look better.. so yeah, i think trent has some skill set that helps him not get killed as much as say a drew bledsoe...

just like tom brady makes his line look better because he is great at sensing pressure.

Tatonka
07-28-2008, 10:29 AM
I'm not, I'm saying even one of the best offenses of all time falls apart if the QB isn't protected. Look what happened to the Rams last year also.

well we are not losing the rest of our line.. just one player.. the rest of the line is returning and should be fine.

DraftBoy
07-28-2008, 10:29 AM
wasnt our RG a tackle in college? hmmm.

point is i am not going to sit here and act like the season is lost because peters is being a greedy whore.. i can respect the bills saying, "peters, if you want to act like a ***** and try and hold us hostage, go **** yourself."

if he does that, then i would get enjoyment out of the bills ruining his career and letting him rot for 3 years. i know one thing.. if this becomes a long term problem, the bills will address it. it will work itself out.

Our RG was also an OG in college...

So basically what you're are saying is that if the Bills decided to tell him to go sit on his finger an twirl (even though he deserves the money, which nobody disagrees with) you'll support that move, but if they cave and resign him, you'll welcome him back with open arms and act like nothing ever happened?

Philagape
07-28-2008, 10:30 AM
The most important player.

Tatonka
07-28-2008, 10:33 AM
Our RG was also an OG in college...

So basically what you're are saying is that if the Bills decided to tell him to go sit on his finger an twirl (even though he deserves the money, which nobody disagrees with) you'll support that move, but if they cave and resign him, you'll welcome him back with open arms and act like nothing ever happened?

i will support the bills either way.. i said i would understand if the bills dont want to set a standard by resigning guys who just signed new deals because they are unhappy one year later.. what if schobel gets 18 sacks this year, and decides to sit out next year.. he is like, well ****, it worked for peters.. so i will do it too.

if the bills feel like they need to work it out and resign him to get him back in camp now, then that is fine too.. either way.. the season is not going to be lost because of one player.. people crying about us going 5-11 because peters is out are just looking for a reason to cry about the season.

Tatonka
07-28-2008, 10:36 AM
The most important player.

agreed, but they cant control what peters is doing. peters has a contract. like it or not, the nfl says that nfl teams can void contracts, but players cant.. the players union oked that deal.. so the players have to live with it.

we own peters soul for 3 years.. if he wants to sit on his finger for 3 years, then so be it.. he will owe the bills a lot of money, and it would be comical.. but it wont happen.. peters wonderlic was like a 1, and i am sure he is a dumb sack of ****, but at some point, he will show up.. no one is that stupid.

has any player ever actually sat out for an entire year? i am trying to remember.. i cant think of any good ones that actually did that..

Ickybaluky
07-28-2008, 10:36 AM
When was the last time a player held out into the season though?

Emmit Smith did. Rod Woodson did. Walter Jones didn't report to any training camps when he was franchise tagged over multiple years. Cedric Benson held out until the eve of the season.

All those guys were Parker clients. He has had a bunch of clients who held out, and in pretty much every case they didn't return until they got a new contract or a contract upgrade. It is part of his negotiating strategy.

Philagape
07-28-2008, 10:38 AM
agreed, but they cant control what peters is doing. peters has a contract. like it or not, the nfl says that nfl teams can void contracts, but players cant.. the players union oked that deal.. so the players have to live with it.

we own peters soul for 3 years.. if he wants to sit on his finger for 3 years, then so be it.. he will owe the bills a lot of money, and it would be comical.. but it wont happen.. peters wonderlic was like a 1, and i am sure he is a dumb sack of ****, but at some point, he will show up.. no one is that stupid.

has any player ever actually sat out for an entire year? i am trying to remember.. i cant think of any good ones that actually did that..

I don't think he will either. Both sides need to show good faith.

Tatonka
07-28-2008, 10:40 AM
Emmit Smith did. Rod Woodson did. Walter Jones didn't report to any training camps when he was franchise tagged over multiple years. Cedric Benson held out until the eve of the season.

All those guys were Parker clients. He has had a bunch of clients who held out, and in pretty much every case they didn't return until they got a new contract or a contract upgrade. It is part of his negotiating strategy.

ah.. that is right.. emmitt did it.. i remember that. it has also been a very long time since someone has sat out like emmitt did..

parker also has some clients that have fired him (tommy harris) and others that have told him to go f himself (hester).

Ickybaluky
07-28-2008, 10:42 AM

You are willing to risk the Bills season? That seems silly. What does that prove? That a contract is a contract? Not in the NFL.

It doesn't matter if you like it or not, the fact is the guy has leverage. He is a franchise LT who is very underpaid, and the Bills are hurt if he isn't there. They need to do something to bring him back.

This isn't the first time a top player has held out. In almost every case the team caves, because great players effects wins and losses and that is too important in the NFL. You aren't going to risk your QB because you don't want to upgrade your LT's contract. If he was just another guy that would be one thing, but he is one of the best at his position.

Because usually they get a new contract or a trade and a new deal.

ddaryl
07-28-2008, 10:44 AM
I do like this quote from the article

He’s not going to get much sympathy from people who would be thrilled to make $60,000 a year, let alone the $4 million he could collect this season if he hits his bonuses. The fact he’s willing to throw that much money away should be an insult to every person who socks money away just to watch him play.

This is definitely my view... Not to mention the lack of good faith Peters is showing the Bills who have done a ton for his career and should been shown respect for that fact as well.

This is really 100% all in Peters hands... If he holds out he will not get anything... If he comes to camp and starts working he'll get some attention.

Peters cannot sit out an entire year, because that would mean he would still have 3 years left on his contract. Peters would have ot show up for the last 1/4 of the season for him to consider it a season, but the fines by that time would mean he'd be playing for free.

Tatonka
07-28-2008, 10:51 AM
peters needs to get into camp.. if he wants a new deal, it is on him to show up.. end of discussion..

like i said.. i dont think the bills are risking the whole season. i think that they can find someone who can fill in well enough to get by with.

Ickybaluky
07-28-2008, 11:01 AM
like i said.. i dont think the bills are risking the whole season. i think that they can find someone who can fill in well enough to get by with.

Yeah, OK. You have one of the best LT in the NFL and you don't think his being out will be a big loss.

Remember last year when Tra Thomas was hurt and Philly put Winston Justice in there? The Giants had 12 sacks. That shows how important a LT can be. You might screw up your whole offense. All it takes is one missed block and you can get your QB hurt.

This is something the Bills can control. Most players you can take a hard line with, but your key guys that are the best at what they do, there are different rules. The Bills need to get him into camp.

MikeInRoch
07-28-2008, 11:01 AM
So here's an interesting question... has anyone seen him doing anything resembling playing since his injury? Do we know he's recovered? Do we know he hasn't put on 50 pounds? Maybe that's why he isn't showing up...

trapezeus
07-28-2008, 11:04 AM
the Bills are risking a whole lot. especially if they have the money to extend him. If the bills were close to the cap, had a ton of other people due to be FA, and Peters was a marginal talent, then i can see this being an issue. But if we have the money, have our FA signed, and recognize peters as a true talent, suck it up and end it, no?

This seems like such an unnecessary rising of tensions. If the bills knew from March that this was an issue (like we did) and the agent was driving this, they should have reached out to petersand said, "look, we need you, we value you and we'll get it worked out. We need you here to show us your serious, if not then we're at an impass."

The way it sounds from Brandon, there has been absolutely nothing said and they are just assuming that Peters is holding out. And everyone is getting caught up in principle.

I said this before, but obviously from the number of posts and all the bunched up panties on this board, Peters is a key piece to the puzzle. He holds all the leverage in the world. if we had a marginally decent LT back up, then we could call his bluff. But we all know chambers can't play that spot.

Tatonka
07-28-2008, 11:06 AM
good point mike.

if he holds out, he is going to get hurt anyways.. murphys law..

even more reason that his greedy ass needs to be in camp showing he can play and is not a one season wonder..

was he even in the probowl originally? or did he get put in because someone got hurt?

Tatonka
07-28-2008, 11:07 AM
peters and his agent are the ones causing the uneccesary tension. no one else.

HAMMER
07-28-2008, 11:07 AM
Piss on Peters, they should give him an even harder line and tell him to report by Friday or plan on being a backup and no new deal until his current one expires.

Tatonka
07-28-2008, 11:08 AM
Piss on Peters, they should give him an even harder line and tell him to report by Friday or plan on being a backup and no new deal until his current one expires.

that would suck, but i would find it funny.

trapezeus
07-28-2008, 11:12 AM
you guys are so caught up in this emotionally.

Peters is one of the best guys we have. We haven't gotten to practice in pads yet at TC. Once that happens and the QB's start getting "hit", i think management and all will say, "it's better to have this team operating at 100% than standing up based on principal". And the principal being argued isn't even correct in the NFL.

The contracts in the NFL are a joke and teams break them all the time. They ask for players to restructure all the time. A player, in this case, has outperformed his contract. It is fair for him to ask for a raise. He's going about it the wrong way in terms of keeping friends, but he's going to get taht raise if the bills are committed to winning.

Why are some people so angry about Peters getting his money rightfully and still wanting to keep JP on board for $1MM+ for doing nothing. Very confusing.

Tatonka
07-28-2008, 11:14 AM
keeping jp on board for doing nothing when your starter cant stay healthy is just smart.. unless you have a better option at back up qb..

DrGraves
07-28-2008, 11:35 AM
just sign him.. i dont care how much its for just sign him, our time is now and we need him.

TacklingDummy
07-28-2008, 11:38 AM
keeping jp on board for doing nothing when your starter cant stay healthy is just smart.. unless you have a better option at back up qb..
Culpepper.

TacklingDummy
07-28-2008, 11:39 AM
just sign him.. i dont care how much its for just sign him, our time is now and we need him.

He is signed.

patmoran2006
07-28-2008, 11:42 AM
Simple, yet the most effective sentence in this thread.

Tatonka
07-28-2008, 12:11 PM
Culpepper.

cuz he has been awesome ever since randy moss wasnt around.

coastal
07-28-2008, 07:35 PM
How good was that decision to not draft Brandon Albert?