PDA

View Full Version : Mum’s not the word for postseason for Bills

shelby
07-28-2008, 07:58 AM
i love the confidence....i know some of you will call it out as BS, but i prefer my team to have some swagger and be cocky.

i've heard all the arguments that the FO didn't do enough in the offseason to improve the Bills to a playoff caliber team.....however, i have a feeling this is going to be an outstanding season!

No one in the Buffalo Bills’ organization is taking the Jim Mora approach to the P-word this summer. The idea of making the playoffs is on the lips of seemingly every Bills player on the opening weekend of training camp at St. John Fisher College.
“This should definitely be a playoff year for us,” said linebacker Paul Posluszny. “We have that type of attitude going into camp and we feel as long as we do all the right things we’ll be in good shape.”
Even coach Dick Jauron is eschewing the famed outlook of Mora, the former Indianapolis Colts coach who made NFL sound bite history with his dismissal of playoff talk during a postgame news conference in 2001.
“I don’t have any problems with that, particularly with the players that have voiced them,” Jauron said. “We’ve all seen them play. They’re not people that don’t walk the walk. They play hard. They know that the goal is to go to the playoffs. When we haven’t made it, they’ve been very disappointed. They don’t want to be disappointed again.”

link (http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/billsnfl/story/401588.html)

OpIv37
07-28-2008, 08:17 AM
still think no one's going to be gunning for us now that the entire team is saying they're post-season material?

I do have to say that Poz's statement is better than Whitner's. He showed confidence without the arrogant guarantee.

shelby
07-28-2008, 08:18 AM
i knew Op would love this article.:snicker:

i think our opponents will be gunning for us regardless of whether or not our team is talking postseason.

OpIv37
07-28-2008, 08:20 AM
i knew Op would love this article.:snicker:

i think our opponents will be gunning for us regardless of whether or not our team is talking postseason.

not necessarily. It can be hard to get motivated against a team as mediocre as the Bills, particularly teams from out of the division or especially out of the conference. Trust me- other teams will be aware of all the smack the Bills are talking.

mybills
07-28-2008, 08:22 AM
I'm liking Lee's attitude, too! :punk:

"The contract year is always… business-wise it's a little bit different, but as far as your mentality goes you still have to be consistent in doing what you're doing," he said.

Evans admits a new deal would bring peace of mind, but isn't going to spend time worrying if it's going to happen before the 2008 season begins.

"It would be big, to get that behind you and to move forward," said Evans. "All that stuff is somewhat out of my hands so I just try and control the things I can and go from there."
http://admin.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=6266

shelby
07-28-2008, 08:25 AM
not necessarily. It can be hard to get motivated against a team as mediocre as the Bills, particularly teams from out of the division or especially out of the conference. Trust me- other teams will be aware of all the smack the Bills are talking.

It remains to be seen if the Bills are still a mediocre team, Op. The season hasn't begun yet....they may surprise you!

{i wish we could sit with you at the preseason game....it would be epic to hear what you have to say....}

OpIv37
07-28-2008, 08:30 AM
It remains to be seen if the Bills are still a mediocre team, Op. The season hasn't begun yet....they may surprise you!

{i wish we could sit with you at the preseason game....it would be epic to hear what you have to say....}

Well on paper they look pretty mediocre. But that's not the point. They're coming off back to back mediocre seasons, so they will be viewed as mediocre until they prove otherwise. If they're 3-1 after the first 4 weeks, that may change. But until they accomplish something this season, they're still going to be viewed as mediocre. And rightfully so.

Mitchy moo
07-28-2008, 08:31 AM
Kollar expressed the teams expectations for making the playoffs twice to me during a 20 minute conversation.

Mr. Miyagi
07-28-2008, 08:44 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BjmmZyIsYnA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BjmmZyIsYnA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ft5N00aAwk4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ft5N00aAwk4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Mr. Pink
07-28-2008, 08:47 AM
Mum's not the word maybe, if you believe pigs can fly.

10-6 wasn't good enough last year to get in, this is not a 10-6 team.

OpIv37
07-28-2008, 08:59 AM
Mum's not the word maybe, if you believe pigs can fly.

10-6 wasn't good enough last year to get in, this is not a 10-6 team.

while I agree completely that this is not a playoff team, I don't mind the players thinking that it's a playoff team. I think the players and coaches need to believe in themselves.

However, I still have a problem with arrogant guarantees.

Mr. Pink
07-28-2008, 09:00 AM
while I agree completely that this is not a playoff team, I don't mind the players thinking that it's a playoff team. I think the players and coaches need to believe in themselves.

However, I still have a problem with arrogant guarantees.

I do agree completely about the players having some confidence but when you start guaranteeing crap, teams start gunning for you to shut you up.

We're not talented enough to overcome that.

THATHURMANATOR
07-28-2008, 09:04 AM
Whitners guarantee in July means nothing. Teams won't even remember it.

justasportsfan
07-28-2008, 09:29 AM
still think no one's going to be gunning for us now that the entire team is saying they're post-season material?

they'll be gunning for us whether we talk playoffs or not.

OpIv37
07-28-2008, 09:32 AM
Whitners guarantee in July means nothing. Teams won't even remember it.

They will. Believe me, they will.

If we end up needing a win at the end of the season against a team that's already eliminated, or if we play a team that's already clinched and is playing scrubs, Whitner's word will be on their bulletin board.

And if we miss the playoffs, people will remember.

And regardless, it's still arrogant.

THATHURMANATOR
07-28-2008, 09:34 AM

If we end up needing a win at the end of the season against a team that's already eliminated, or if we play a team that's already clinched and is playing scrubs, Whitner's word will be on their bulletin board.

And regardless, it's still arrogant.
No they won't BELIEVE me they won't. Who cares anyways. Teams and players should be playing to their optimum level every game.

OpIv37
07-28-2008, 09:38 AM
No they won't BELIEVE me they won't. Who cares anyways. Teams and players should be playing to their optimum level every game.

And if Whitner was playing to his optimum level every game we might be in the playoffs. But he doesn't.

Players should be playing to their optimum level every game, but they're human so they don't. Sometimes they need extra motivation. And Whitner is stupid to offer that up to our opponents. And arrogant.

justasportsfan
07-28-2008, 09:39 AM

And regardless, it's still arrogant. Who cares what other teams think of what our players said ? Couldn't care less. They will be gunning for us because the goal is to win every game.

OpIv37
07-28-2008, 09:41 AM
Who cares what other teams think of what our players said ? Couldn't care less. They will be gunning for us because the goal is to win every game.

Not if they're already out of the playoffs. Not if they're playing scrubs because they already clinched. Players are the same as the rest of us. None of us give 100% effort every second we're at work- most people coast when they think they can get by. Players are no different.

Mr. Pink
07-28-2008, 09:41 AM
Apparently some people have missed that whole "bulletin board, extra motivation" bit that comments like Whitner bring.

Does anyone remember the last time someone on our team opened their mouths about how good we were? Spikes, Adams, that group...what good did that do us? Absolutely NONE.

If you want to have confidence you can make the playoffs that's fine. You don't guarantee it. Just ask that no name player in the Steeler secondary about making guarantees last year to see what he thinks about his stupidity now.

THATHURMANATOR
07-28-2008, 09:43 AM
And if Whitner was playing to his optimum level every game we might be in the playoffs. But he doesn't.

Players should be playing to their optimum level every game, but they're human so they don't. Sometimes they need extra motivation. And Whitner is stupid to offer that up to our opponents. And arrogant.
He does play up to his optimum.

OpIv37
07-28-2008, 09:45 AM
He does play up to his optimum.

then he sucks and we need another safety. Seriously, if this is the best he can do, then picking him at #8 was a HUGE mistake.

THATHURMANATOR
07-28-2008, 10:27 AM
then he sucks and we need another safety. Seriously, if this is the best he can do, then picking him at #8 was a HUGE mistake.
Or he was inexperienced and will come into his own this season. Or cut his ass. Whatever.

OpIv37
07-28-2008, 10:30 AM
Or he was inexperienced and will come into his own this season. Or cut his ass. Whatever.

If he's going to come into his own this season, then how was he playing up to his optimum the last two seasons? You're contradicting yourself.

Bone
07-28-2008, 10:32 AM
Why are there people so pissed off at the fact theres players on this team saying this is a PLAYOFF year, Donte even guaranteed it. At least we can actually thinking about the playoffs for the first time in 10 years.

We as fans should be pumped up for what there saying!

I think this team is finally starting to BILLIEVE.

Mr. Pink
07-28-2008, 10:34 AM
Why are there people so pissed off at the fact theres players on this team saying this is a PLAYOFF year, Donte even guaranteed it. At least we can actually thinking about the playoffs for the first time in 10 years.

Takeo, Sam Adams, London Fletcher BILLIEVED that they were the best defense ever too.

What did that get us?

THATHURMANATOR
07-28-2008, 10:35 AM
If he's going to come into his own this season, then how was he playing up to his optimum the last two seasons? You're contradicting yourself.
You are really something else man.

Its really not that hard to understand. He was at a certain mental/physical level each of the last couple seasons. He played to the best of his abilities/"optimum" to that point. With more gained knowledge/physical abilities/confidence he could get better and again play at the optimum level that will allow him.

Maybe the guy is a slacker though and was taking plays off. I didn't notice that but again whatever....

Bone
07-28-2008, 10:36 AM
Takeo, Sam Adams, London Fletcher BILLIEVED that they were the best defense ever too.

What did that get us?

Getting beat by the Steelers 3rd string team? I never said anythign about best defense..playoffs.

OpIv37
07-28-2008, 10:38 AM

I'm pissed that Donte guaranteed it because it's arrogant and out of his control, not to mention he's been mediocre on the field.

I'm pissed because I don't think it's a playoff year and it's just going to embarrass us even more when we fail to make it.

I don't have a problem with what Poz said- no matter how bad the team looks on paper, it's good to see confidence. My baseball team, the Nationals, had this "why not us?" attitude before the season started- it didn't get them anywhere but it was good to see that the players believed rather than giving up before the season even started. However, it's NEVER good to see arrogance like Whitner's.

and honestly, what does Whitner's guarantee really mean? It doesn't make a team any better. What's he going to do? Refund my Sunday Ticket if they don't make it?

Mr. Pink
07-28-2008, 10:38 AM
Getting beat by the Steelers 3rd string team? I never said anythign about best defense..playoffs.

I'm talking about players opening their mouths before delivering the goods.

There's a right way about saying and going about things ie Poz

There's a wrong way to do the same ie Whitner

You can believe you're gonna make the playoffs, you can say you have the players, you can say you expect to see improvements. None of that is as arrogant and downright stupid as guaranteeing it though.

FlyingDutchman
07-28-2008, 10:40 AM
For crissakes, the players are optimistic. Would you expect them to go into the season with their heads down and hope for the best. Some people have to stop anally disecting every little thing that happens in practice and every little word that comes out of players mouth. Some people here worry about stupid crap more than the actual Bills players do.

Bone
07-28-2008, 10:41 AM
For crissakes, the players are optimistic. Would you expect them to go into the season with their heads down and hope for the best. Some people have to stop anally disecting every little thing that happens in practice and every little word that comes out of players mouth. Some people here worry about stupid crap more than the actual Bills players do.
:clap:

OpIv37
07-28-2008, 10:46 AM

just answer me this: why did Whitner have to GUARANTEE it? Why couldn't he have just made a statement like Poz's?

I've asked this over and over again since Whitner made his statement and none of the Whitner apologists have offered a response yet.

There is a difference between confidence and arrogance. You act like there are only two choices- an arrogant guarantee and going into the season with their heads down. In reality there is a LOT of gray area between the two.

trapezeus
07-28-2008, 11:59 AM
isn't bulletin board material more current than comments from July? Teams don't go back to pre TC local newspapers to be like, "Dude, did you see this? This safety said they'd be good. Well, we'll show them. Hey, make a copy of that and put in in the lockerroom." it's just funny to think that 31 other teams are sitting there just hoping that they'll be good enough.

Bulletin board materiall usually is a little more specific like if whitner said, "patriots are going down both times we play them".

I like the team is confident. i hope their play matches.

OpIv37
07-28-2008, 12:04 PM
isn't bulletin board material more current than comments from July? Teams don't go back to pre TC local newspapers to be like, "Dude, did you see this? This safety said they'd be good. Well, we'll show them. Hey, make a copy of that and put in in the lockerroom." it's just funny to think that 31 other teams are sitting there just hoping that they'll be good enough.

Bulletin board materiall usually is a little more specific like if whitner said, "patriots are going down both times we play them".

I like the team is confident. i hope their play matches.

well we're not going to agree on the bulletin board material aspect, but guarantees are still arrogant, not confident. I have no problem with the team being confident like Poz.

I have a huge problem with Whitner's arrogance. And I'm still waiting for an answer to my question.

THATHURMANATOR
07-28-2008, 12:09 PM
I have a huge problem with Whitner's arrogance. And I'm still waiting for an answer to my question.
Hold tight OP. I am still working on the time machine that will take me back to that exact moment. I have honed my mind reading abilities so once we get back there I will let you know his reasoning!

FlyingDutchman
07-28-2008, 12:11 PM
Fine Op. Whitner is arrogant. Feel better? I personally dont mind what he said. If the Bills fall short, he looks like an ass. Oh well. Personally talk like that from a teammate would pump me up and I would go balls out to back him up. Different strokes for different folks.

OpIv37
07-28-2008, 12:12 PM
Hold tight OP. I am still working on the time machine that will take me back to that exact moment. I have honed my mind reading abilities so once we get back there I will let you know his reasoning!

what the hell are you even talking about?

All I want to know is why everyone is defending Whitner's arrogant statement when he could have just made a confident (but not arrogant) statement instead. It has nothing to do with Whitner's mindset- it has to do with people's reaction to his comments. Could someone please just answer the question?

THATHURMANATOR
07-28-2008, 12:16 PM
What is the question again?

OpIv37
07-28-2008, 12:17 PM
What is the question again?

stop being an ass and just scroll up and read it.

OpIv37
07-28-2008, 12:19 PM
Fine Op. Whitner is arrogant. Feel better? I personally dont mind what he said. If the Bills fall short, he looks like an ass. Oh well. Personally talk like that from a teammate would pump me up and I would go balls out to back him up. Different strokes for different folks.

Teammate or not- my team or another team- IMO it's arrogant to make guarantees that are out of your personal control. So you're right- we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Just out of curiosity, though, how would you feel if some Jets safety that you've never heard of was guaranteeing that the Jets would make the playoffs?

THATHURMANATOR
07-28-2008, 12:21 PM
Just out of curiosity, though, how would you feel if some Jets safety that you've never heard of was guaranteeing that the Jets would make the playoffs?
Op I would be beside myself. I would probably break some plates or coffee cups. Maybe punch an elderly gentleman!

justasportsfan
07-28-2008, 12:57 PM
Not if they're already out of the playoffs..you this how?

Not if they're playing scrubs because they already clinched. Players are the same as the rest of us. None of us give 100% effort every second we're at work- most people coast when they think they can get by. Players are no different.

You're speculating . Don't think on other peoples behalf. It's pretty obvious that not everyone thinks like you.

FlyingDutchman
07-28-2008, 12:59 PM

I guess I would find it somewhat humorous given the Jets situation. I guess call me a homer, but I feel the Bills have a far better shot. The fact that hes guaranting playoffs isnt that big of a deal to me bc in my rose colored view, I believe we will get there also. Its not like hes setting the bar at the Super Bowl. Whitner isnt exactly a no-name player. Sure maybe he hasnt done anything amazing, but hes no slouch and he "should" be hitting his stride this year. The last point is the fact that I probably wouldnt even spend more than a minute pondering whatever that jet player would have said. Just like Im sure the rest of the league and fans have probably forgotten what Donte said. We are the only ones who seem to dwell on it.

justasportsfan
07-28-2008, 01:01 PM
Teammate or not- my team or another team- IMO it's arrogant to make guarantees that are out of your personal control. So you're right- we'll just have to agree to disagree.

So If the Bills were facing the mighty PAts and Dick comes out and tells the players , "we're gonna beat the PAts ,I guarantee it" you honestly think the players are gonna call Dick arrogant?

Arrogant or not, I would rather have players like Whitner on my team than a plyaer with equal talent but an attitude like yours.

Pinkerton Security
07-28-2008, 01:25 PM

if fans have never heard of whitner, then they are pretty casual fans. im not saying hes a pro-bowler but hes far from being an unknown player.

and firstly i would laugh at the jets player. if kerry rhodes, who is a known player, guarantees that the Jets are gonna make the playoffs, in TC, do you think that is instantly going to be up on the Bills "bulletin board"?? no, or at least i highly doubt it.

and also, why does bulletin board material instantly make the other team somehow better? maybe they get pissed and get penalties and make mistakes because they trying to hard to prove us wrong. who knows what will happen.

OpIv37
07-28-2008, 01:29 PM
So If the Bills were facing the mighty PAts and Dick comes out and tells the players , "we're gonna beat the PAts ,I guarantee it" you honestly think the players are gonna call Dick arrogant?

Arrogant or not, I would rather have players like Whitner on my team than a plyaer with equal talent but an attitude like yours.

A coach trying to motivate the players is not the same as a player talking to the media. But you've already established that you can't see the forest from the trees- distinctions are not your strong point.

How do you know my attitude would be the same if I was actually on the team? I'm not on the team- I'm a fan trying to make a reasonable prediction. But that's another one of those "distinction" things so I don't expect you to understand.

justasportsfan
07-28-2008, 01:37 PM
A coach trying to motivate the players is not the same as a player talking to the media. But you've already established that you can't see the forest from the trees- distinctions are not your strong point.

How do you know my attitude would be the same if I was actually on the team? I'm not on the team- I'm a fan trying to make a reasonable prediction. But that's another one of those "distinction" things so I don't expect you to understand.
I'm talking about your persona here on BZ. whether it's said to media or not, I don't care. I'd still rather have Whitner .

Whitner is trying to breed optimism with the team. I don't expect you to understand.

OpIv37
07-28-2008, 01:52 PM
I'm talking about your persona here on BZ. whether it's said to media or not, I don't care. I'd still rather have Whitner .

Whitner is trying to breed optimism with the team. I don't expect you to understand.

Optimism is not the same as arrogance. That's what you don't understand.

THATHURMANATOR
07-28-2008, 03:55 PM
Are we still talking about this nonsense?

The Spaz
07-28-2008, 05:07 PM

This whole argument is :poop:

OpIv37
07-28-2008, 06:10 PM

Whitner's arrogant comments will embarrass the team and possibly motivate opponents. It's not nonsense.

justasportsfan
07-29-2008, 08:48 AM
Optimism is not the same as arrogance. That's what you don't understand.
arrogance begins from being optimistic and confident . I don't expect you to understand .

OpIv37
07-29-2008, 09:04 AM
arrogance begins from being optimistic and confident . I don't expect you to understand .

Arrogance is an unwanted by-product of optimism and confidence. It's bad no matter how you spin it.

OpIv37
07-29-2008, 09:06 AM
why the hell would anyone defend arrogance?

Oh, I forgot, Donte Whitner's the one being arrogant and Whitner can do no wrong- at least not since Chris Brown called him a "leader".

THATHURMANATOR
07-29-2008, 09:07 AM
Again we are still talking about this Nonsense? :shakeno:

justasportsfan
07-29-2008, 09:11 AM
Arrogance is an unwanted by-product of optimism and confidence. It's bad no matter how you spin it.
Ali, JIm Kelly, Dan MArino were all arrogant.

OpIv37
07-29-2008, 09:12 AM
Again we are still talking about this Nonsense? :shakeno:

call it nonsense all you want- that doesn't make it so. Whitner is acting arrogant, embarrassing himself and embarrassing the team, and possibly providing motivation to opponents. It's not nonsense.

OpIv37
07-29-2008, 09:15 AM
Ali, JIm Kelly, Dan MArino were all arrogant.

Jim Kelly never guaranteed playoffs and he played on teams that were infinitely superior to this one.

Also, Jim Kelly, Dan Marino and Ali BACKED IT UP WITH THEIR PERFORMANCE. When Whitner gets to 4 Super Bowls, breaks almost every record for his position, or wins an Olympic gold then he'll have earned the right to be arrogant.

THATHURMANATOR
07-29-2008, 09:15 AM
Yes its nonsense why are still talking about it? :puke:

justasportsfan
07-29-2008, 09:16 AM
Jim Kelly never guaranteed playoffs and he played on teams that were infinitely superior to this one.

Also, Jim Kelly, Dan Marino and Ali BACKED IT UP WITH THEIR PERFORMANCE. When Whitner gets to 4 Super Bowls, breaks almost every record for his position, or wins an Olympic gold then he'll have earned the right to be arrogant.

I would rather be with someone arrogant than a defeatist like you.

THATHURMANATOR
07-29-2008, 09:17 AM
Yep.

OpIv37
07-29-2008, 09:19 AM
I would rather be with someone arrogant than a defeatist like you.

again, you're polarizing and creating a false dichotomy.

There are plenty of other options beyond "arrogant" and "defeatist". Whitner could have been confident without being arrogant, but he chose to be arrogant. And he deserves to be criticized for it.

And I'm not a defeatist- I'm a realist.

justasportsfan
07-29-2008, 09:20 AM
again, you're polarizing and creating a false dichotomy.

There are plenty of other options beyond "arrogant" and "defeatist". Whitner could have been confident without being arrogant, but he chose to be arrogant. And he deserves to be criticized for it.

And I'm not a defeatist- I'm a realist.

my realistic views owns your realistic views.

OpIv37
07-29-2008, 09:21 AM
my realistic views owns your realistic views.

you're not even making points anymore- you're just arguing to argue.

justasportsfan
07-29-2008, 09:24 AM
you're not even making points anymore- you're just arguing to argue.

Since you're going around telling people they are wrong in their point of views and saying you are the realistic one, then what does that make me? Nostradamus?

THATHURMANATOR
07-29-2008, 09:39 AM
I wish OP was more realistic like you and I Justa...

justasportsfan
07-29-2008, 10:00 AM
I wish OP was more realistic like you and I Justa...
there's hope.