PDA

View Full Version : Peters Talk on Sporting News

patmoran2006
07-28-2008, 02:20 PM
Was just listening to Sporting News Radio on AOL and convo turned to holdouts and then to Peters specifically. Here's a number I didn't even know. Last year, Jason Peters was 22nd on the list of average salaries among the 32 starting left tackles. Only 10 starting tackles in the NFL were paid less than him. Not sure what the numbers are for this year, but obviously Jake Long and Brandon Albert already average more, and I'd imagine Chris Williams (Bears) averages more than $3 million as well.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
I knew he was underpaid compared to OL on our own team and the league in general, but I never knew he was THAT underpaid in regards to other starting LT's in the league.<o:p></o:p>
Freegin Luke Petigout and Jonas Jennings made more than him! Wow.<o:p></o:p>
Someone needs to blink; I don't care what side does. He's $4-million per year underpaid in regards to tackles at his talent level.<o:p></o:p>

DMBcrew36
07-28-2008, 02:41 PM
Peters will get his raise if he would just show up. He could at least have enough respect to show up, considering he was undrafted and would possibly be nowhere right now if it weren't for the Bills.

X-Era
07-28-2008, 02:44 PM
Peters will get his raise if he would just show up. He could at least have enough respect to show up, considering he was undrafted and would possibly be nowhere right now if it weren't for the Bills.

You cant state that as fact.

Russ has already said that he wants Peters to honor his contract from 2 years ago.

If you think a pro-bowl LT whos 26 wouldnt go anywhere else I have a bridge to sell you.

DrGraves
07-28-2008, 02:46 PM
I really hope we get him in camp soon... marshawns bread and butter last year was running to the left side.

HHURRICANE
07-28-2008, 02:47 PM
The Bills aren't blinking. They made that clear on Sirrius. Time to come to camp Peters because Ralph will let you sit. All but said it today.

OpIv37
07-28-2008, 02:47 PM
Peters is getting what he wants one way or the other.

He'll either get a new contract from the Bills, or make the situation so uncomfortable that the Bills will be forced to trade him with the year.

While the Bills could probably clean up on a trade, I'm hoping they get it worked out because we desperately need him on the field.

TigerJ
07-28-2008, 03:00 PM
The Bills will renegotiate contracts of great players who come to camp. They won't negotiate with holdouts.

ddaryl
07-28-2008, 03:02 PM
I really hope we get him in camp soon... marshawns bread and butter last year was running to the left side.

actually I think we ran better to the right side last year

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol.php
<TABLE class=stats cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 border=1><TBODY><TR><TD></TD><TD> </TD><TD bgColor=#cccccc colSpan=2>LEFT END</TD><TD colSpan=2>LEFT TACKLE</TD><TD bgColor=#cccccc colSpan=2>MID/GUARD</TD><TD colSpan=2>RIGHT TACKLE</TD><TD bgColor=#cccccc colSpan=2>RIGHT END</TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD><TD align=middle>TEAM</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#cccccc>ALY</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#cccccc>Rank</TD><TD align=middle>ALY</TD><TD align=middle>Rank</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#cccccc>ALY</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#cccccc>Rank</TD><TD align=middle>ALY</TD><TD align=middle>Rank</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#cccccc>ALY</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#cccccc>Rank</TD></TR><TR><TD>17</TD><TD>WAS</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>4.12</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>14</TD><TD align=right>4.83</TD><TD align=right>7</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>4.11</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>16</TD><TD align=right>4.11</TD><TD align=right>20</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>3.76</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>22</TD></TR><TR><TD>18</TD><TD>JAC</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>4.85</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>6</TD><TD align=right>3.73</TD><TD align=right>27</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>4.13</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>15</TD><TD align=right>5.06</TD><TD align=right>1</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>3.26</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>31</TD></TR><TR><TD>19</TD><TD>PIT</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>4.75</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>9</TD><TD align=right>4.55</TD><TD align=right>10</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>3.73</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>28</TD><TD align=right>4.54</TD><TD align=right>11</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>4.34</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>12</TD></TR><TR><TD>20</TD><TD>CAR</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>5.24</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>3</TD><TD align=right>3.78</TD><TD align=right>26</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>3.86</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>23</TD><TD align=right>4.16</TD><TD align=right>19</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>4.72</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>5</TD></TR><TR><TD>21</TD><TD>NYJ</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>3.48</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>25</TD><TD align=right>3.30</TD><TD align=right>31</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>4.22</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>12</TD><TD align=right>4.38</TD><TD align=right>15</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>4.05</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>18</TD></TR><TR><TD>22</TD><TD>MIA</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>3.86</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>21</TD><TD align=right>5.05</TD><TD align=right>4</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>3.86</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>24</TD><TD align=right>3.84</TD><TD align=right>24</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>4.63</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>7</TD></TR><TR><TD>23</TD><TD>DET</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>4.24</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>13</TD><TD align=right>4.31</TD><TD align=right>17</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>3.79</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>26</TD><TD align=right>4.02</TD><TD align=right>22</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>3.86</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>19</TD></TR><TR><TD>24</TD><TD>SD</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>4.36</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>12</TD><TD align=right>3.67</TD><TD align=right>28</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>3.97</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>22</TD><TD align=right>3.60</TD><TD align=right>29</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>4.39</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>11</TD></TR><TR><TD>25</TD><TD>BUF</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>2.80</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>29</TD><TD align=right>3.90</TD><TD align=right>23</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>4.02</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>19</TD><TD align=right>4.65</TD><TD align=right>6</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>3.48</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>26</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

feelthepain
07-28-2008, 03:18 PM
Was just listening to Sporting News Radio on AOL and convo turned to holdouts and then to Peters specifically. Here's a number I didn't even know. Last year, Jason Peters was 22nd on the list of average salaries among the 32 starting left tackles. Only 10 starting tackles in the NFL were paid less than him. Not sure what the numbers are for this year, but obviously Jake Long and Brandon Albert already average more, and I'd imagine Chris Williams (Bears) averages more than $3 million as well.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
I knew he was underpaid compared to OL on our own team and the league in general, but I never knew he was THAT underpaid in regards to other starting LT's in the league.<o:p></o:p>
Someone needs to blink; I don't care what side does. He's $4-million per year underpaid in regards to tackles at his talent level.<o:p></o:p>

I get your point with Jake making more, but that's simply being drafted number 1 overall. Peters is in a position that many before him have been in. He has to earn what he gets before he gets it. He obviously thinks he's worth more and he is. It's just the porcess that many others have gone through, he'll play for the Bills this year one way or the other.

patmoran2006
07-28-2008, 03:18 PM
well I hope the "morals" you guys have outweigh your desire for wins. You guys are high if you think this can be a playoff team with Chambers at left tackle. I also hope there's a lot of Losman fans left here, because if Chambers plays this year you'll be seeing him after <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Trent</st1:place></st1:City> gets killed.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
I'm pissed at Peters myself, but that doesnt compare to having to endure ANOTHER playoff-less losing season. Every good thing we did this offseason gets wiped out by not having our All Pro left tackle.<o:p></o:p>
So the "let him sit and rot" rants befuddle me. I don't care who's right or wrong, or who blinks first. SOMEONE better blink though and he needs to be here.. I don't care who's terms it is, our offense takes a tremendous step back without him; like it or not. He is far and away, the most irreplacable player on this team. Second most would be Evans, and that's miles away.<o:p></o:p>

patmoran2006
07-28-2008, 03:19 PM

<TABLE class=stats cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 border=1><TBODY><TR><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD bgColor=#cccccc colSpan=2>LEFT END</TD><TD colSpan=2>LEFT TACKLE</TD><TD bgColor=#cccccc colSpan=2>MID/GUARD</TD><TD colSpan=2>RIGHT TACKLE</TD><TD bgColor=#cccccc colSpan=2>RIGHT END</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD align=middle>TEAM</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#cccccc>ALY</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#cccccc>Rank</TD><TD align=middle>ALY</TD><TD align=middle>Rank</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#cccccc>ALY</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#cccccc>Rank</TD><TD align=middle>ALY</TD><TD align=middle>Rank</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#cccccc>ALY</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#cccccc>Rank</TD></TR><TR><TD>17</TD><TD>WAS</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>4.12</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>14</TD><TD align=right>4.83</TD><TD align=right>7</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>4.11</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>16</TD><TD align=right>4.11</TD><TD align=right>20</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>3.76</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>22</TD></TR><TR><TD>18</TD><TD>JAC</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>4.85</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>6</TD><TD align=right>3.73</TD><TD align=right>27</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>4.13</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>15</TD><TD align=right>5.06</TD><TD align=right>1</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>3.26</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>31</TD></TR><TR><TD>19</TD><TD>PIT</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>4.75</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>9</TD><TD align=right>4.55</TD><TD align=right>10</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>3.73</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>28</TD><TD align=right>4.54</TD><TD align=right>11</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>4.34</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>12</TD></TR><TR><TD>20</TD><TD>CAR</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>5.24</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>3</TD><TD align=right>3.78</TD><TD align=right>26</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>3.86</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>23</TD><TD align=right>4.16</TD><TD align=right>19</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>4.72</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>5</TD></TR><TR><TD>21</TD><TD>NYJ</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>3.48</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>25</TD><TD align=right>3.30</TD><TD align=right>31</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>4.22</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>12</TD><TD align=right>4.38</TD><TD align=right>15</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>4.05</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>18</TD></TR><TR><TD>22</TD><TD>MIA</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>3.86</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>21</TD><TD align=right>5.05</TD><TD align=right>4</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>3.86</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>24</TD><TD align=right>3.84</TD><TD align=right>24</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>4.63</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>7</TD></TR><TR><TD>23</TD><TD>DET</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>4.24</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>13</TD><TD align=right>4.31</TD><TD align=right>17</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>3.79</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>26</TD><TD align=right>4.02</TD><TD align=right>22</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>3.86</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>19</TD></TR><TR><TD>24</TD><TD>SD</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>4.36</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>12</TD><TD align=right>3.67</TD><TD align=right>28</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>3.97</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>22</TD><TD align=right>3.60</TD><TD align=right>29</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>4.39</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>11</TD></TR><TR><TD>25</TD><TD>BUF</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>2.80</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>29</TD><TD align=right>3.90</TD><TD align=right>23</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>4.02</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>19</TD><TD align=right>4.65</TD><TD align=right>6</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>3.48</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>26</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
are you suggesting that Langston Walker is better? I"m not being sarcastic, I'm asking an honest question (and I never said the Bills ran statistically better to the left)

streetkings01
07-28-2008, 03:22 PM
Someone needs to blink; I don't care what side does. He's $4-million per year underpaid in regards to tackles at his talent level.<o:p></o:p>The reason they make more than Peters is because both were drafted as LT's and signed new contracts to do so! The contract Peters was given in 2006 was to play RT not LT.....Peters will get his money....he just needs to get his fat butt to camp!

ddaryl
07-28-2008, 03:27 PM
are you suggesting that Langston Walker is better? I"m not being sarcastic, I'm asking an honest question (and I never said the Bills ran statistically better to the left)

dude I'm just pointing out a fact that the Bills ran better to the right side of the line.

You can choose to take it any way you want, but someone above said Lynch's bread abd butter was to the left, and according to the chart I found it wasn't.

Peters is awesome, but he is screwing himself and the team, and he is not going to get another extension handling it the way he is.

Evans showed up... that's a sign of dedication and class... Peters ain't showing any dedication or class.

OpIv37
07-28-2008, 03:28 PM
Let's just hope Schonert has a bootleg right play. And by "bootleg right", I mean Trent takes the snap and starts running right while he still has a 3-4 step head start on the RDE.

OpIv37
07-28-2008, 03:30 PM
dude I'm just pointing out a fact that the Bills ran better to the right side of the line.

You can choose to take it any way you want, but someone above said Lynch's bread abd butter was to the left, and according to the chart I found it wasn't.

Peters is awesome, but he is screwing himself and the team, and he is not going to get another extension handling it the way he is.

Evans showed up... that's a sign of dedication and class... Peters ain't showing any dedication or class.
well I agree except that teaching Peters a lesson about dedication and class is going to cost us on the field, and I'm not willing to pay that price.

We have an inexperienced QB who's already a little shellshocked in the pocket from his college experience. His blind side needs to be protected at all costs.

patmoran2006
07-28-2008, 03:32 PM
Let's just hope Schonert has a bootleg right play. And by "bootleg right", I mean Trent takes the snap and starts running right while he still has a 3-4 step head start on the RDE.
lol. actually what it would mean is having to have Robbie Royal and/or a Running Back staying behind in pass patterns to help Chambers block someone, resulting in a much more bland, predictable and vanilla offense than what we're hoping to do. I think Dr. Lecter could line up at RDE and get AFC Player of the Week against Captain Kirk Chambers.

Buckets
07-28-2008, 03:36 PM
Jason if you're listening, the team you are trying to extort money from is the team who took a chance on a UDFA and after he showed them what he could do he was promoted to starting LT and given a raise. To date the Bills have treated you very well and showed that hard work earns dividends.
Now get your fat a$$ in camp and fire that scumbag agent. You are acting like a spoiled princess and that does not go far with most of the blue collar fans that have supported you until this tantrum.
From past practice you should realize that the Bills award performance and right now your performance sucks.

OpIv37
07-28-2008, 03:39 PM
lol. actually what it would mean is having to have Robbie Royal and/or a Running Back staying behind in pass patterns to help Chambers block someone, resulting in a much more bland, predictable and vanilla offense than what we're hoping to do.

so, it would be Fairchild's offense?

OpIv37
07-28-2008, 03:41 PM
Jason if you're listening, the team you are trying to extort money from is the team who took a chance on a UDFA and after he showed them what he could do he was promoted to starting LT and given a raise. To date the Bills have treated you very well and showed that hard work earns dividends.
Now get your fat a$$ in camp and fire that scumbag agent. You are acting like a spoiled princess and that does not go far with most of the blue collar fans that have supported you until this tantrum.
From past practice you should realize that the Bills award performance and right now your performance sucks.

how is trying to get paid on an equal level with other top-tier LT's "extorting money"?

The guy was given a contract at RT and now plays LT. If you work at a bank and you're hired as a clerk but you work your way up to branch manager, are you going to take on the extra hours and responsibility for the same pay? Hell no.

patmoran2006
07-28-2008, 03:49 PM
I will say this.. he really needs to report.

Report and give the team a deadline to get a new deal done or else you pack your bags and go back home.

I dont like that concept either; but its better than sitting on your ass at home, in which there is zero chance we're giving him a new deal.

PECKERWOOD
07-28-2008, 03:54 PM

Wrong, I thought the same exact thing until I was proven wrong on bb.com. I forget where the guy pulled out the statistics from but Lynch averaged over 5ypc on the RIGHT side of the line, his longest run was also on the right side and he had more TD's on the right side. If you were to argue that defenses stacked our left side which opened up more things on the right side, you may have an argument.

HAMMER
07-28-2008, 04:41 PM
Ease up drama Queens, it's a team game, one player does not a team make. No matter what YOU think.

Saratoga Slim
07-28-2008, 05:08 PM
well I agree except that teaching Peters a lesson about dedication and class is going to cost us on the field, and I'm not willing to pay that price.

The lesson OBD would be teaching wouldn't be directed solely at Peters. If the Bills don't cave to a holdout, it's a message to all of their players that that tactic won't work, and that we expect them to honor their commitments. Unfortunately, if you cave to one holdout, guess how many you'll get next year. Thus Peters' issue isn't occuring in a vacum.

I'm not saying I agree with the Bills' tactics, as one could argue that his status as one of our most important players means that his situation is different than the average starter's. I'm just saying that for the Bills, it's not as simple as "teaching Jason a lesson." They've got to make it clear to players and agents alike that they as an organization aren't anybody's *****. If Peters does indeed end up MIA until week 10, it will be a hugely expensive line to draw, but it's hard to say for sure that the Bills are wrong to stick to their guns.

That said, you'd think there could be a mutually agreeable solution--maybe the Bills could offer an addendum to his current deal that would pay him a $3M bonus if he makes the Pro Bowl again (or reaches some other performance goal), and agree to renegotiate this coming offseason. Seems like there are a lot of different ways this could be played to get Jason in camp.

OpIv37
07-28-2008, 06:04 PM
The lesson OBD would be teaching wouldn't be directed solely at Peters. If the Bills don't cave to a holdout, it's a message to all of their players that that tactic won't work, and that we expect them to honor their commitments. Unfortunately, if you cave to one holdout, guess how many you'll get next year. Thus Peters' issue isn't occuring in a vacum.

I'm not saying I agree with the Bills' tactics, as one could argue that his status as one of our most important players means that his situation is different than the average starter's. I'm just saying that for the Bills, it's not as simple as "teaching Jason a lesson." They've got to make it clear to players and agents alike that they as an organization aren't anybody's *****. If Peters does indeed end up MIA until week 10, it will be a hugely expensive line to draw, but it's hard to say for sure that the Bills are wrong to stick to their guns.

That said, you'd think there could be a mutually agreeable solution--maybe the Bills could offer an addendum to his current deal that would pay him a $3M bonus if he makes the Pro Bowl again (or reaches some other performance goal), and agree to renegotiate this coming offseason. Seems like there are a lot of different ways this could be played to get Jason in camp.

They've also got to prove they're willing to pay top talent if they wish to attract/keep it in the future. Peters is severely underpaid at their position, and to other top performers around the league, they're going to see it as Buffalo trying to get a bargain.

OpIv37
07-28-2008, 06:07 PM
Ease up drama Queens, it's a team game, one player does not a team make. No matter what YOU think.

Except that we have an inexperienced QB who is already shell shocked from his college experience and suspect receivers. That means two things:

1. We need to rely on the running game more
2. When we do pass, the QB is going to need maximum protection. Edwards isn't a statue like Bledsoe but he's not the most mobile guy either.

So, a quality LT is a necessity on this team, and Peters is arguably the best player on the team. It may be a team game, but it's like Animal Farm. Some teammates are more "equal" than others.

This team is significantly worse without Peters on the field. If you can't see it now, you'll see it the second Sunday in September.

Actually, you won't even have to wait that long. Our first preseason game is against the Skins. They now have Jason Taylor, who got owned by Peters in the last few meetings. Just wait to see what Taylor does to Chambers.

Saratoga Slim
07-28-2008, 06:17 PM
They've also got to prove they're willing to pay top talent if they wish to attract/keep it in the future. Peters is severely underpaid at their position, and to other top performers around the league, they're going to see it as Buffalo trying to get a bargain.

I don't think you need to "prove" in advance that you're willing to pay to attract free agents--that's a matter that is easily dealt with on a case by case basis. I.e., we do appear willing to pay big for 1-2 free agents a year. Any FA who thinks we're unwilling to pay to attract top talents can easily be dissuaded from that belief by us producing a fat offer sheet.

Moreover, I don't think that a FA is going to turn down a big offer from us b/c of a conception that we may be subsequently unwilling to renegotiate in the midst of the offered contract.

I think there are other reasons to pay Peters (i.e. winning now), but that's not really one of them.

OpIv37
07-28-2008, 06:31 PM
I don't think you need to "prove" in advance that you're willing to pay to attract free agents--that's a matter that is easily dealt with on a case by case basis. I.e., we do appear willing to pay big for 1-2 free agents a year. Any FA who thinks we're unwilling to pay to attract top talents can easily be dissuaded from that belief by us producing a fat offer sheet.

Moreover, I don't think that a FA is going to turn down a big offer from us b/c of a conception that we may be subsequently unwilling to renegotiate in the midst of the offered contract.

I think there are other reasons to pay Peters (i.e. winning now), but that's not really one of them.

I think the fact that we don't keep/pay our top players (Winfield, Clements, Pat Williams come immediately to mind) combined with the fact that we're trying to get a bargain with Peters tells players that we're not committed to winning. We may get the FA's looking for a paycheck but not the ones looking to win.

Michael82
07-28-2008, 06:38 PM
The Bills will renegotiate contracts of great players who come to camp. They won't negotiate with holdouts.
EXACTLY! And his agent is a fool for believing that Ralph is the kind of guy who would be taken hostage by an NFL Agent. They have said time and time again....we negotiate with people who are here and will readjust their contract if they ask, but they have to show us a sign of good faith. Peters should call Ralph and tell them he's coming to camp, fire his agent and then work on a new contract in Rochester...but still participate in the team meetings and practices at St John Fisher. Doing this would make it much more likely the team would give him a raise. But not until.....

Bone
07-28-2008, 07:08 PM
He will not attend training camp. Evans is here working his ass off and is going to get a new deal before Peters. If he doesn't come to camp, hes not getting paid.

Jan Reimers
07-28-2008, 07:26 PM
Right now I have absolutely no use for a guy who won't even come to camp. He may be a great player, but he is a disloyal, disrespectful little baby as far as I'm concerned.

I hope we make every effort to sign a veteran LT, or begin to groom Peters' replacement from within. That will take a while, and we'll certainly miss him, but I'd rather he sit out the season and rot, than the Bills cave in to a guy who won't even do them the courtesy of reporting to camp.

Screw Peters and his agent.

coastal
07-28-2008, 07:28 PM
Someone in the Bills organization needs to reach out directly to Jason Peters.

I don't care if it is Ralph himself.

Tell him to get his ass into camp and that negotiations will begin the second he does.

El Guapo
07-28-2008, 07:32 PM
OP, I hate to agree with you on so many points (trust me, it hurst), but the situation is what it is. We need Peters this season. Period.

Those that think otherwise are fooling themselves.

And for those that think players (free agents) are only out for a check, think again. Look at N.E., where players take lesser deals to win the big one.

acehole
07-28-2008, 07:48 PM
Stats dont mean anything here.....it is all how you feel apparently.

<TABLE class=stats cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 border=1><TBODY><TR><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD bgColor=#cccccc colSpan=2>LEFT END</TD><TD colSpan=2>LEFT TACKLE</TD><TD bgColor=#cccccc colSpan=2>MID/GUARD</TD><TD colSpan=2>RIGHT TACKLE</TD><TD bgColor=#cccccc colSpan=2>RIGHT END</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD align=middle>TEAM</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#cccccc>ALY</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#cccccc>Rank</TD><TD align=middle>ALY</TD><TD align=middle>Rank</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#cccccc>ALY</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#cccccc>Rank</TD><TD align=middle>ALY</TD><TD align=middle>Rank</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#cccccc>ALY</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#cccccc>Rank</TD></TR><TR><TD>17</TD><TD>WAS</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>4.12</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>14</TD><TD align=right>4.83</TD><TD align=right>7</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>4.11</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>16</TD><TD align=right>4.11</TD><TD align=right>20</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>3.76</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>22</TD></TR><TR><TD>18</TD><TD>JAC</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>4.85</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>6</TD><TD align=right>3.73</TD><TD align=right>27</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>4.13</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>15</TD><TD align=right>5.06</TD><TD align=right>1</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>3.26</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>31</TD></TR><TR><TD>19</TD><TD>PIT</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>4.75</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>9</TD><TD align=right>4.55</TD><TD align=right>10</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>3.73</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>28</TD><TD align=right>4.54</TD><TD align=right>11</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>4.34</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>12</TD></TR><TR><TD>20</TD><TD>CAR</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>5.24</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>3</TD><TD align=right>3.78</TD><TD align=right>26</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>3.86</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>23</TD><TD align=right>4.16</TD><TD align=right>19</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>4.72</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>5</TD></TR><TR><TD>21</TD><TD>NYJ</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>3.48</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>25</TD><TD align=right>3.30</TD><TD align=right>31</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>4.22</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>12</TD><TD align=right>4.38</TD><TD align=right>15</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>4.05</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>18</TD></TR><TR><TD>22</TD><TD>MIA</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>3.86</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>21</TD><TD align=right>5.05</TD><TD align=right>4</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>3.86</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>24</TD><TD align=right>3.84</TD><TD align=right>24</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>4.63</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>7</TD></TR><TR><TD>23</TD><TD>DET</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>4.24</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>13</TD><TD align=right>4.31</TD><TD align=right>17</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>3.79</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>26</TD><TD align=right>4.02</TD><TD align=right>22</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>3.86</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>19</TD></TR><TR><TD>24</TD><TD>SD</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>4.36</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>12</TD><TD align=right>3.67</TD><TD align=right>28</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>3.97</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>22</TD><TD align=right>3.60</TD><TD align=right>29</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>4.39</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>11</TD></TR><TR><TD>25</TD><TD>BUF</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>2.80</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>29</TD><TD align=right>3.90</TD><TD align=right>23</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>4.02</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>19</TD><TD align=right>4.65</TD><TD align=right>6</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>3.48</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#cccccc>26</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Meathead
07-28-2008, 08:10 PM
Russ has already said that he wants Peters to honor his contract from 2 years ago.

my god would you people please stop posting this

the bills are saying

'we want him to honor his current contract and be here on time as agreed. once thats done we can do what we did with the mediocre white guys who outplayed their contracts and give him a raise'

NOT

'we want him to honor his current contract and stfu even though hes getting paid half of what his performance level has become bwahahahahahaaaa'

OpIv37
07-28-2008, 08:43 PM
Right now I have absolutely no use for a guy who won't even come to camp. He may be a great player, but he is a disloyal, disrespectful little baby as far as I'm concerned.

I hope we make every effort to sign a veteran LT, or begin to groom Peters' replacement from within. That will take a while, and we'll certainly miss him, but I'd rather he sit out the season and rot, than the Bills cave in to a guy who won't even do them the courtesy of reporting to camp.

but he's OUR disloyal, disrespectful little baby. It's great to have a bunch of choir boys who are good role models on our football team, but there's 53 guys on the squad and not every one of them is going to be a decent human being by sheer statistics (plus the greed factor).

Peters definitely has a bad attitude, but I'm at the point where he hasn't done anything I couldn't overlook to win football games.

Saratoga Slim
07-28-2008, 09:24 PM
I think the fact that we don't keep/pay our top players (Winfield, Clements, Pat Williams come immediately to mind) combined with the fact that we're trying to get a bargain with Peters tells players that we're not committed to winning. We may get the FA's looking for a paycheck but not the ones looking to win.

There may be some truth to that I guess. Certainly we're not currently a very attractive destination for guys like Randy Moss, that have made their name on a bad team and are looking for a chance to win. The question is to what extent the perception of "a franchise committed to winning" depends on paying big $$ to our FAs and guys like Jason Peters. For instance, you wouldn't see the Patriots caving to Jason Peters right now. He'd be holding out for a long time--or maybe wouldn't hold out at all cause he'd know it was a waste of time. The Patriots and Colts have proven that IS possible to be committed to winning by setting up a system where players put the team first, you pay the guys that deserve it a fair deal but on more or less your schedule (i.e. when they're eligible for FA), and a few talented guys that put money first end up getting away. I think it's clear that we're trying to set up the same sort of system. This may be a very painful step in that process.

The key is the winning part. If you take a hard nose approach to your greedy players and still win games, it's good management. If you take a hard nose approach and lose games, it's just being cheap.

gggbills
07-28-2008, 10:23 PM
how is trying to get paid on an equal level with other top-tier LT's "extorting money"?

The guy was given a contract at RT and now plays LT. If you work at a bank and you're hired as a clerk but you work your way up to branch manager, are you going to take on the extra hours and responsibility for the same pay? Hell no.

Your right given your example I would want more money. But I bet you I would actually have to show up for work to get it!!! Get into camp!!

Ed
07-28-2008, 11:51 PM
This just isn't true though. We had the exact same situation last year with Schobel. As a probowl player he was underpaid compared to his teammates, but still had 3 years left on his deal. The Bills ended up giving him an extension worth about $50 million. The only difference between the two situations is that Schobel showed up for practice and didn't create any problems while allowing the contract stuff to work itself out. So far in the past couple seasons we've given extensions to Schobel, McGee, Parrish, K. Williams, Brad Butler and even Jason Peters himself. Not to mention the new deal they're working on for Evans. This notion that we won't pay our players is total BS. Particulary with this regime. Winfield and Pat Williams were during Donahoe's time and all 3 guys you mentioned were free agents, so they were free to sign with anyone they wanted. It's not even the same situation.

I just want to say I was a HUGE advocate of Peters getting a new deal during this offseason and I still am, but I wasn't expecting this hold out. As a result I'm completely on the Bills side because I think they've gone about handling all their players contracts the right way. I think they've made it pretty clear that they're willing to re-negotiate with Peters, but they have to see him practice and who can blame them? Why should a team give a player a huge contract extension if they don't even know what kind of condition he's in or where his committment is? The guy finished the season injured and had off-season surgery, doesn't show up for any practices, but we're just supposed to assume he's ready to go and in top form? My guess would be that Peters is working out and staying in great shape, but there's no way to prove that he's not doing his best Mike Williams impersonation either.

I know we're a weaker team offensively without Peters, but I'm pissed at the way he's handling this and the Bills have a right to be too. I want to see things get resolved, but I won't hold it against them if they don't cave.

By the way, those last two paragraphs weren't directed at Op, just speaking generally.

Spiderweb
07-29-2008, 12:49 AM
You cant state that as fact.

If you think a pro-bowl LT whos 26 wouldnt go anywhere else I have a bridge to sell you.

Well, he's under contract and his only option is to report, and then seek an extension (cash)......

Jan Reimers
07-29-2008, 06:53 AM
but he's OUR disloyal, disrespectful little baby. It's great to have a bunch of choir boys who are good role models on our football team, but there's 53 guys on the squad and not every one of them is going to be a decent human being by sheer statistics (plus the greed factor).

Peters definitely has a bad attitude, but I'm at the point where he hasn't done anything I couldn't overlook to win football games.
Oh, I never hold a grudge. If Peters comes in and plays, I'll love him again. Right now, I'm just sick and tired of his antics.

TacklingDummy
07-29-2008, 07:34 AM

I don't know whats worse, Peters holding out or you *****ing about it everyday. Peters is signed. It's too bad if he doesn't like it.

patmoran2006
07-29-2008, 07:41 AM
yer gonna complain about SOMEBODY else *****ing?
LOL!

TacklingDummy
07-29-2008, 07:50 AM
yer gonna complain about SOMEBODY else *****ing?
LOL!

Yep, I ***** about someone who plays poorly, you ***** about someone who is holding out who is under contract, big difference.

OpIv37
07-29-2008, 07:54 AM
I don't know whats worse, Peters holding out or you *****ing about it everyday. Peters is signed. It's too bad if he doesn't like it.

If he's not on the field, the fact that he's signed is just semantics.

TacklingDummy
07-29-2008, 08:09 AM
If he's not on the field, the fact that he's signed is just semantics.
And who's to blame? The Bills are handling this situation right. Peters can rot at home for the rest of his career.

TacklingDummy
07-29-2008, 08:10 AM
Maybe Trent should holdout too since the backup makes more than him.

Ickybaluky
07-29-2008, 09:00 AM
And who's to blame? The Bills are handling this situation right. Peters can rot at home for the rest of his career.

That makes a lot of sense. Let your best player sit out and sabotage a season.

But... you will really prove a point. You will have upheld the sanctity of a contract in the NFL. Of course... there is not sanctity in NFL contracts because they are not guaranteed. But hey... it is worth sabotaging a season to prove a point.

Even if you do "win" and Peters returns to the team, what did you prove? You have your best player disgruntled and sharing a lockerroom with the rest of the team. He will be looking to get out of town the first chance he has.

It isn't like Peters situation is unusual. Holdouts happen all the time in the NFL when great players vastly out-perform their contracts. The smart teams deal with them and get the player back happy. There are different rules when negotiating with top talent vs. a guy who you can replace.

But hey... let him rot! That'll show him. Didn't the Bengals just do this with Chad Jackson and he caved?

Of course, they are the Bengals. Look where it gets them.

patmoran2006
07-29-2008, 10:55 AM
Jason Peters won't be the only thing that "rots" if he's not on the field this year.

The Bills offense will rot without him as well.

Hope we're ready to have a 85-like Bears season defensively..

OpIv37
07-29-2008, 11:42 AM
Maybe Trent should holdout too since the backup makes more than him.
trent hasn't proven that he's better than the backup yet. Peters has.

ScottLawrence
07-29-2008, 11:51 AM

Possibly the most ignorant post I've ever read.

So You think its smarter to sign a scrub veteran LT and let go of possibly the best player in the league at the most important position then renew his contract, something the guy totally deserves?

Pure stupidity. Trading or releasing Peters because of this contract dispute would be the dumbest thing this Franchise has ever done.

TacklingDummy
07-29-2008, 11:55 AM
Jason Peters won't be the only thing that "rots" if he's not on the field this year.

The Bills offense will rot without him as well.

How do you know this?

It was ranked 30th WITH Peters. Without him it can't rot much more.