PDA

View Full Version : Training Camp Practice Report: July 28

madness
07-28-2008, 03:39 PM
Training Camp Practice Report: July 28

The intensity went up a couple of notches on the grass field at St. John Fisher Monday as the players put on the pads and started hitting. Head coach Dick Jauron was satisfied for the most part with the tempo. "It's always a little tough from my perspective because both sides can't do great on the same play," said Jauron. "One side gets the upper hand and you're worrying about the other side. That's just the way it is. I love their attitude, they work at it and they want to get better."

Blocking drills
With the pads on it was time for the backs to take on the linebackers and the offensive and defensive linemen to square off in one-on-one blocking and pass rush drills.
Marshawn Lynch got the drill started off with a good hit on linebacker Kawika Mitchell that drew some 'oohs' from the crowd. But Mitchell came back a few snaps later and got inside of Tim Massaquoi on a pass rush that likely would have resulted in a sack.
Fullback Darian Barnes looked impressive during this period as he had good reps against some veteran players including Angelo Crowell.
"He's a quality guy that I think is going to help us," said Jauron of Barnes.
Barnes also looked good in kick return drills. In a two-on-two drill where two members of the wedge face two coverage players coming at them, Barnes was a coverage player and cracked rookie Demetrius Bell. Veteran Jason Whittle had a rebuttal for the wedge unit however, as he stuck Omon who was coming down on coverage.
As for the linemen the offensive line seemed to win more of the one-on-one battles over the course of the session. Matt Murphy had a few good reps in a row where he held the defensive end in check. The other second team offensive tackle Patrick Estes also effectively jumped some ends in the pass protection drill and successfully kept them at bay.
In two-on-two pass rush, Chris Kelsay and Marcus Stroud played to a draw on two consecutive snaps with Langston Walker and Brad Butler. Kelsay did appear to get the edge on the first snap.
Aaron Schobel and Kyle Williams also had a stalemate with Kirk Chambers and Derrick Dockery, though it appeared Schobel may have been able to get to the quarterback on the first of two plays had it been live football.

For 7-on-7 and 11-on-11 results...

http://buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=6284

madness
07-28-2008, 03:39 PM
Lightning cuts practice short

<TABLE borderColor=#09347b cellPadding=10 width="95%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=mediumrow style="BORDER-RIGHT: #548bb5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #548bb5 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #548bb5 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #548bb5 1px solid" colSpan=2><TABLE style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #002d78 1px solid" width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>Today
</TD><TD align=right>Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 3:58 PM ET | Link (http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?post_id=3707)

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>LIGHTNING CUTS PRACTICE SHORT: Buffalo's only practice of the day was cut nine plays short thanks to lightning in the area.
"We found out that it was within 3-8 miles and at that point it's not worth the risk, so we brought it inside," said Jauron.
The players finished the final nine plays in the St. John Fisher fieldhouse on a walk through basis after removing their pads.
--- </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

madness
07-28-2008, 03:40 PM
Losman nicks throwing hand

<TABLE borderColor=#09347b cellPadding=10 width="95%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=mediumrow style="BORDER-RIGHT: #548bb5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #548bb5 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #548bb5 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #548bb5 1px solid" colSpan=2><TABLE style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #002d78 1px solid" width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>Today
</TD><TD align=right>Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 4:02 PM ET | Link (http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?post_id=3708)

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>LOSMAN NICKS THROWING HAND: Late in practice J.P. Losman hit his throwing hand on one of his offensive linemen on his follow through as one of his tackles was backed up into the pocket on a passing play. Losman was able to shake it off though trainers checked his thumb and index finger.
Losman left the locker room after practice with a simple tape wrap around the lower half of his thumb. We'll see if it restricts his reps in any way tomorrow as the thumb is essential to getting a firm grip on the ball and delivering it accurately.

madness
07-28-2008, 03:41 PM
Lynch looking physical

</TD><TD align=right>Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 4:04 PM ET | Link (http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?post_id=3709)

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>LYNCH LOOKING PHYSICAL: One player that was certainly ready to put on the pads Monday was Marshawn Lynch. Not only was he blocking effectively, he was knocking some linebackers down.
Ironically after the first set of blocking drills, there was a special teams segment that he was not a part of, so Lynch went down to the other end of the field with the starting linebackers and hit the sled with them.
"I wanted to see it from the other side," Lynch told Buffalobills.com.
Lynch and Dwayne Wright looked strong through the hole on a few runs, but there was a fair amount of penetration by the defense in the run game. We'll see who gets the better of the play in the next pads practice, which comes tomorrow night.

patmoran2006
07-28-2008, 03:43 PM
Not liking the last lines..

Aaron Schobel and Kyle Williams also had a stalemate with Kirk Chambers and Derrick Dockery, though it appeared Schobel may have been able to get to the quarterback on the first of two plays had it been live football.

trapezeus
07-28-2008, 04:03 PM
exactly what we thought would happen with pads. give it a week before the bills walk away from the bluff and initiate contact for a contract. too much on the line to not do it.

SABuffalo786
07-28-2008, 04:37 PM
Lynch looking physical

</TD><TD align=right>Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 4:04 PM ET | Link (http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?post_id=3709)

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>LYNCH LOOKING PHYSICAL: One player that was certainly ready to put on the pads Monday was Marshawn Lynch. Not only was he blocking effectively, he was knocking some linebackers down.
Ironically after the first set of blocking drills, there was a special teams segment that he was not a part of, so Lynch went down to the other end of the field with the starting linebackers and hit the sled with them.
"I wanted to see it from the other side," Lynch told Buffalobills.com.
Lynch and Dwayne Wright looked strong through the hole on a few runs, but there was a fair amount of penetration by the defense in the run game. We'll see who gets the better of the play in the next pads practice, which comes tomorrow night.

Lynch is just going to explode this year.

madness
07-29-2008, 07:54 AM

Not only was he blocking effectively, he was knocking some linebackers down.

With a FB picking up the first level, I feel sorry for whoever is after that. :flex:

mysticsoto
07-29-2008, 08:26 AM
Not liking the last lines..

Why does that bother you? If it said, Kirk Chambers was able to handle Schobel and nullify him, then you'd be complaining that our top DE can't get by a backup tackle...

You too Op!!!

FlyingDutchman
07-29-2008, 08:40 AM
Reggie Corner looked impressive to me the other day when I went, and Im still reading good things about him. Watch for this kid to be the surprise of the draft for us. For anyone going tonight, keep an eye on him, hes number 27.

justasportsfan
07-29-2008, 08:41 AM
I agree. He's gonna run people over all the way to the probowl. :up:

OpIv37
07-29-2008, 08:50 AM
Why does that bother you? If it said, Kirk Chambers was able to handle Schobel and nullify him, then you'd be complaining that our top DE can't get by a backup tackle...

You too Op!!!

Actually it bothers me that Schobel can't get by Chambers. He's a pro bowl DE making 9 million a season- he should be able to own a backup LT at will.

mysticsoto
07-29-2008, 09:06 AM
Actually it bothers me that Schobel can't get by Chambers. He's a pro bowl DE making 9 million a season- he should be able to own a backup LT at will.

Isn't that pretty much what Patmoran was quoting and complaining about? That Schobel got by Chambers and would have had a sack? And you 'thanked' him for his complaint...the 1st line mentions the stalemate, but it's not a stalemate when Schobel can get through for a sack as he did. I'd be happy if Schobel could get a sack a game every game!!!

OpIv37
07-29-2008, 10:06 AM
Isn't that pretty much what Patmoran was quoting and complaining about? That Schobel got by Chambers and would have had a sack? And you 'thanked' him for his complaint...the 1st line mentions the stalemate, but it's not a stalemate when Schobel can get through for a sack as he did. I'd be happy if Schobel could get a sack a game every game!!!

I interpreted it the the other way- that Schobel "may" have gotten around him. It should have been no contest in Schobel's favor.

Maybe he meant it the other way and I misread it.

justasportsfan
07-29-2008, 10:12 AM
I interpreted it the the other way- that Schobel "may" have gotten around him. It should have been no contest in Schobel's favor.

Maybe he meant it the other way and I misread it.

You read a postive report and read it negatively.

OpIv37
07-29-2008, 10:15 AM
You read a postive report and read it negatively.

did you see the word STALEMATE:

Aaron Schobel and Kyle Williams also had a stalemate with Kirk Chambers and Derrick Dockery

there is no positive about Schobel playing to a stalemate with Kirk Chambers. Someone at his level should be able to own Chambers.

justasportsfan
07-29-2008, 10:19 AM
did you see the word STALEMATE:

there is no positive about Schobel playing to a stalemate with Kirk Chambers. Someone at his level should be able to own Chambers.

you only read and harped on the negative part of it obviously.

DrGraves
07-29-2008, 10:51 AM
OMG BEAST MODE i just got chills reading that marshawn is blowing people up... he is the man wow.