PDA

View Full Version : Bills' defense adjusts for Stroud

mysticsoto
07-29-2008, 07:30 AM
Bills' defense adjusts for Stroud

The Buffalo Bills have tweaked their defensive scheme this year to try to take full advantage of their top new weapon, Marcus Stroud.

The last two seasons, the Bills’ two defensive tackles played distinct positions. Starter Larry Tripplett, who’s now in Seattle, played opposite the outside shoulder of the guard, usually on the left side of the defensive line. The Bills called that the three-technique position. Starter Kyle Williams played opposite the outside shoulder of the center, on the right side of the defense in what the Bills called the nose tackle position.

This year the Bills’ defensive tackles are going to be interchangeable. Whether it’s Stroud, Williams, John McCargo or Spencer Johnson, each could play the left side or the right side. Still, the left defensive tackle often will be in the “three technique” spot. The right defensive tackle most often will not play over the center; he will play opposite the inside shoulder of the guard.

Why? The main reason is those are the two alignments in which Stroud was used in Jacksonville the last seven seasons.

“We want to get as much production out of him as we can,” said Bills defensive line coach Bill Kollar. “Our parts are interchangeable, so we said, ‘Hey, let’s play him where he feels the most comfortable.’ ”

Stroud excels against the run. If the Bills plugged him into last year’s defense, he would have had to play on the nose, usually at the right defensive tackle spot.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/billsnfl/story/402331.html

THATHURMANATOR
07-29-2008, 09:07 AM
I am very excited to see Stroud this season.. He could be a force!

Mr. Miyagi
07-29-2008, 09:15 AM
FINALLY we have a big DT to stuff the run that we haven't had since Pat Williams.

mikemac2001
07-29-2008, 09:20 AM
FINALLY we have a big DT to stuff the run that we haven't had since Pat Williams.

he should have never left

gil
07-29-2008, 10:46 AM
wow, so he didn't exactly fit our scheme and they made adjustments for him - that's just crazy talk!

I could swear I heard their reasoning for passing on guys like Ngata was that they didn't fit.

mysticsoto
07-29-2008, 10:47 AM
he should have never left

Agreed. Both he and Sam Adams were great together and should have been kept together. Ron Edwards was a pitiful disappointment to step into those shoes...

mysticsoto
07-29-2008, 10:48 AM
wow, so he didn't exactly fit our scheme and they made adjustments for him - that's just crazy talk!

I like the adjustments they've made. I feel like they are more flexible now with the things they can do.

DrGraves
07-29-2008, 10:48 AM
I cant wait to see this defense in action... stroud clogging up the middle and posluzny crushing the backs trying to come through

Bone
07-29-2008, 10:51 AM
On Sirius they said Stroud was in the backfield all day, that's what I like to hear.

The last buffalo fan
07-29-2008, 10:59 AM
:drool:

Mitchy moo
07-29-2008, 11:01 AM
On Sirius they said Stroud was in the backfield all day, that's what I like to hear.

If Stroud lined up on the left side of the O-line there is no wonder why, no Peters / less protection.

yordad
07-29-2008, 11:14 AM
Can he play offensive tackle too?

(yeah, I'm kidding)

justasportsfan
07-29-2008, 01:31 PM
If Stroud lined up on the left side of the O-line there is no wonder why, no Peters / less protection.
wouldn't he be facing Dockery? Peters takes care of the DE unless he pulls.

Mitchy moo
07-29-2008, 02:37 PM
wouldn't he be facing Dockery? Peters takes care of the DE unless he pulls.

I was drving while writing this, my bad. Stroud is the greatest.

BillsPride12
07-29-2008, 08:42 PM
Stroud has always been a beast, I loved watching him even when he played for the Jaguars. He is going to totally change the dimension of our defense. And props to the Bills for finally playing players to their strenghs.