I'm just going to come out and say it...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mudflap1
    Next Question!
    • Nov 2004

I'm just going to come out and say it...

Jason Peters is overrated.

Who's with me?

Granted, he is a good player, I'm not saying that. I'm not even saying that he didn't deserve to go to the Pro Bowl last year. However, a lot of people (on here, and writers like Peter King) have said Peters is one of the best left tackles in the league, bar none. I don't see it yet.

This post is not in regards to saying Peters deserves a pay raise, doesn't deserve a pay raise, etc. Again, he's a good player. But I see a lot of people saying things to the effect of "just pay the guy what he wants, he's one of the elite left tackles" and "our season is over if Jason Peters isn't around", and I don't agree with that. In fact, I think (while they are different positions), Dockery and Butler were more consistent run blockers last year. I think our season may not be a success because we just don't have the horses yet overall, it's not because of putting all of our eggs in Jason Peters' basket. He wasn't the difference-maker we needed last year.

I think Peters has the ability to be an elite player, I just don't think he's there yet. And I don't agree to pay a player based on what a lot of people think he may be, but isn't yet, and what they think he could be.

Jon
  • realdealryan
    realdealrex
    • Nov 2005

Re: I'm just going to come out and say it...

Overrated doesn't matter when the other option is Kirk Chambers. We're not going to get great value at every position. There will be some overpayment; it comes with the territory.

Comment

• Goobylal
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Mudflap1

Who's with me?

Granted, he is a good player, I'm not saying that. I'm not even saying that he didn't deserve to go to the Pro Bowl last year. However, a lot of people (on here, and writers like Peter King) have said Peters is one of the best left tackles in the league, bar none. I don't see it yet.

This post is not in regards to saying Peters deserves a pay raise, doesn't deserve a pay raise, etc. Again, he's a good player. But I see a lot of people saying things to the effect of "just pay the guy what he wants, he's one of the elite left tackles" and "our season is over if Jason Peters isn't around", and I don't agree with that. In fact, I think (while they are different positions), Dockery and Butler were more consistent run blockers last year. I think our season may not be a success because we just don't have the horses yet overall, it's not because of putting all of our eggs in Jason Peters' basket. He wasn't the difference-maker we needed last year.

I think Peters has the ability to be an elite player, I just don't think he's there yet. And I don't agree to pay a player based on what a lot of people think he may be, but isn't yet, and what they think he could be.

Jon
      Well, that's just your opinion that he's overrated. He was 2nd-team AP All-Pro last year, meaning he was at worst the 3rd best LT in the NFL, according to the guys who get paid to choose players, without bias (unlike the Pro Bowl, which is popularity contest). The guys ahead of him were Walter Jones (no argument there) and Matt Light, who didn't have as good a season as Peters. And considering the Bills' offense last year and the fact that Peters has only been playing OT for 3 years, he's even more remarkable.

That being said, it's unfortunate that he hasn't even contacted the team and shown-up to anything since January. Hopefully it's a matter of getting bad advice from his POS agent, and he'll come to his senses soon and fire him.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
        Zero for Zero!
        • Mar 2003

Peters is not overrated.

He is one of the best (along with Joe Thomas) young LTs in the NFL. He is not perfect, but he is damn good.
        Originally posted by mysticsoto
        Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• X-Era
          What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Mudflap1

Who's with me?

Jon
          Hes done a fantastic job against Taylor, Abraham, and Peppers to name a few... thats overrated? Maybe your standards are set too high.

Comment

• Typ0
            honey pie
            • Jul 2002

doing well for a season doesn't mean jack ****. he's not going to get a huge payday. he's going to get a raise and play and see if he continues to get better. If he gets better than that means something.

Comment

• Devin
              The Octagon
              • Apr 2003

The problem is its easy for guys like the above to say "hes good but not great" or "hes only done it one season".....etc. Now what Typo just posted is true, however completley inaccurate to the current situation.

Reality is he was a UDFA whose freakish athleticism had him playing all over the place. He played 06 at RT then moved to LT and easily has been (and moving forward flat out is) our best Olman. Hes moved, learned and played whereever he was asked and done it at a very high level.

Regardless of our opinion the consensus is that at worst hes a top 5 LT.

Now I am not a fan of holdouts and renegotiations....etc. But I truly dont believe this is a position you dont mess with, and given what the current rates are and what we are paying other linemen not resigning Peters imo is simply going to hurt more in the long run.

Yes I say pay the man, franchise calibur LT entering the prime of thier career are simply to hard to find. And if Trent Edwards ends up being the answer, well I guess any QB for that matter, I suspect they would sure feel good knowing thier backside is protected.
              http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• Romes
                • Jul 2002

We'll find out exactly how overrated he is if we open the season without him.

...and it won't be pretty.
                Originally posted by paladin warrior
                RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

• Philagape
                  WIN NOW
                  • Jul 2002

Getting better means being the No. 1 tackle in the NFL, and he'll want even more then.
                  He deserves a raise, and he's played at a high level for TWO seasons. Last year was just the first he was recognized for it.
                  The offense was noticeably affected when he was injured last year. He is a difference-maker.
                  "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                  2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• Captain gameboy
                    • Jul 2002

I'm not with you.

The guy is a freak.

He can straight up block a power rush.
                    He can move guys out on a run.

His is quick enough to handle any outside move.

I have seen the guy literally run DE's out of bounds.

Jason Peters provides us an advantage against everyone we play.

He is poorly represented.

Comment

• Devin
                      The Octagon
                      • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Romes
                      We'll find out exactly how overrated he is if we open the season without him.

...and it won't be pretty.
                      No kidding, you wanna know how valuable Jason peters is? Watch Chambers or whoever trying to keep Patrick Kerney from murdering Trent week 1.

That will be pretty.
                      http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• Night Train
                        Retired - On Several Levels
                        • Jul 2005

Here's my prediction.

Opening day against Seattle, he'll be starting.
                        Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• X-Era
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by gameboy
                          I'm not with you.

The guy is a freak.

He can straight up block a power rush.
                          He can move guys out on a run.

His is quick enough to handle any outside move.

I have seen the guy literally run DE's out of bounds.

Jason Peters provides us an advantage against everyone we play.

He is poorly represented.

Absolutely on the money!

Comment

• Captain gameboy
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Night Train
                            Here's my prediction.

Ditto

Comment

• X-Era
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Night Train
                              Here's my prediction.

I think and hope your right

Comment

Working...
                              X