X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FlyingDutchman
    • Apr 2005

Observations from practice tonight

Not gonna go into depth about everything but heres just a few mental notes on things I saw tonight, figured I share for those who care to know....

-People arent gonna wanna hear this, but Trent Edwards looked like crap tonight. He threw a bunch of balls at peoples feet or behind the receiver and overall just didnt have a groove. Now before people freak out (OP im looking in your direction), I saw him practice on Saturday and he looked great. I really think it was just a bad practice.

-James Hardy is getting jammed at the line. Will James looked good and made it difficult to get off the line. Hardy needs to work on getting free easier. However Hardy did have the strength to bring in some balls despite close coverage and getting hand checked. I have a feeling he will start come opening day. Lee and Trent seem to be getting a good chemistry going on out routes, and I really think Lee could do better under Trent then he did with JP. Last note on receivers, from what I saw, Steve Johnson will make this team. He doesnt look like a rookie 7th round pick. Hes comfortable running his routes, and has good hands.

-Marshawn looks good. He looks powerful and very quick. The line has been doing a great job making holes, and Marshawn is hitting them fast and hard. I really think Omon will take Wrights spot. Dwayne just looks slow and not agile, while Omon looked good.

-Marcus Stroud looked damn good. They did drills were the DT was sometimes double teamed, and he was still getting penetration. One drill he completely trucked over whoever was blocking him and was in the backfield in a blink. Kyle Williams also looked powerful and quick, and I can see why they have him listed as starting. Everything youre hearing about Ellis is probably true. He almost looked like he didnt belong. He jumped the snap 3 times in a row in a drill in which a coach was barking out the cadence. Then he just got dominated to the ground.

-Linebackers looked pretty good. Poz was swarming to the ball and will be a dominant force, and Kawika seems to be working in nice. Crowell sat out so nothing on him. I didnt really pay too much attention to the LBs beyond that.

-Out of the cornerbacks this is going to surprise you. Ashton Youboty looked pretty damn good. Mcgee was out, but Ashton probably looked the best. He had good timing on the crossing routes and closed quickly on stop routes. Mckelvin looked kind of lost at times, but im not too worried. Its his second practice and I could see the athletic ability in him that will eventually turn him into a star.

-ST, Moorman is still a freaking beast. He must have planted 6 punts in a row inside the 10. These balls bounced in the middle of the field, and would just take a left turn right to the sideline.

Im sure theres more ill remember later, just figured id give a run down to anyone who cared to read. It wasnt the best of practices, but I definately see some great potential on this team. Lets hope training camp fixes a lot of the negatives I saw.
    Last edited by FlyingDutchman; 07-29-2008, 08:51 PM.
  • DrGraves
    • Mar 2008

Re: Observations from practice tonight

hey great summary!!! its good to hear whats going on at camp since i cant be there...

i love hearing that puz is eating people and stroud is making his way through double teams! the defense is going to be awesome!

Comment

• Goobylal
      • Jan 2004

I would liked to have seen that Hardy is getting off the jam better. I know that Evans worked with Vincent in his rookie year on beating the jam. I figured that Hardy would have done the same and gotten used to it by now.

Comment

• patmoran2006
        Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
        • Dec 2005

Good work, Flying.

Im looking forward to getting a few reports from tonight.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• HHURRICANE
          • Mar 2005

Thanks for the report. Always welcome. I never critique anything when someone goes out of their way to report it. Thanks for the analysis!!

Comment

• Lefty2985
            • Mar 2004

thanks good overview. i cant wait to go thurs night!

Comment

• raphael120
              Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
              • Oct 2005

Ellis sounds like more and more a turd of a 3rd round pick. So pissed...we couldve had so many other players at that spot.

Comment

• feelthepain
                All-Pro Zoner
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by FlyingDutchman
                -People arent gonna wanna hear this, but Trent Edwards looked like crap tonight. He threw a bunch of balls at peoples feet or behind the receiver and overall just didnt have a groove.
                Imagine that, like I said to start a whole thread about the Dolphins QB struggles and awful they are, I guess this works for the Bills as well.

Comment

• MikeInRoch
                  • Sep 2003

Originally posted by feelthepain
                  Imagine that, like I said to start a whole thread about the Dolphins QB struggles and awful they are, I guess this works for the Bills as well.
                  I actually agree with you. No need for a thread for something every already knows.
                  "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Comment

• Goobylal
                    • Jan 2004

Have any of the Dols' QB's had a good practice yet?

Comment

• patmoran2006
                      Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by raphael120
                      Ellis sounds like more and more a turd of a 3rd round pick. So pissed...we couldve had so many other players at that spot.
                      I wouldnt go that far, but it sure as hell isn't sounding (and I've heard he's looked poor by many) like he's going to be doing anything this year.

Comment

• FlyingDutchman
                        • Apr 2005

I should also mention that most of these observations were made during drills, not from live play

Comment

• TigerJ
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Goobylal
                          I would liked to have seen that Hardy is getting off the jam better. I know that Evans worked with Vincent in his rookie year on beating the jam. I figured that Hardy would have done the same and gotten used to it by now.

That is actually one of the main negatives attributed to Hardy coming out of Indiana. He was said to be weaker than a 6'6" WR ought to be and that he could have a tough time beating the jam at the line. We should not be surprised that a scouting report turned out to be right. I'm not particularly worried by that however. Lee Evans had some trouble beating the jam in his first training camp. It was Troy Vincent spending extra time with him after practice that helped him learn how to beat the jam. Between strength and conditioning work and learning technique Hardy will overcome this weakness.
                          I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• feelthepain
                            All-Pro Zoner
                            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by MikeInRoch
                            I actually agree with you. No need for a thread for something every already knows.
                            Exactly neither team has a QB that's proven anything.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                              Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                              • Dec 2005

At least our starting QB has won a game in this league.

Comment

Working...
                              X